Old 12-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Toilet with grinder? (big poop problem)

We have a new family member living in a condo that I own who has a big problem with enormous poop. This person is also somewhat mentally disabled and I'm not sure how capable of addressing this issue.

So I was wondering whether there are toilets with grinders and power flush (or something like that) that can grind up enormous turds and flushing them away.

I googled for grinder toilets and found various models but they all seem to be designed for installing in a basement to solve the problem of flushing upward.

I am talking about poop that looks like it came out of an elephant.

Is there a mechanical way of dealing with this?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Maybe you need one of those institutional toilets, the kind with a 2" water supply (instead of a storage tank) that deliver a high-pressure water jet aimed straight at the outlet to forcibly drive everything down the drain.

"Flushometer" seems to be what I'm talking about. The bowls and valves appear to be available from multiple manufacturers; I'd suggest visiting a plumbing or building supply store and inquiring about that name.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 AM
If the problem is that the stool is too large to fit into the toilet's trapway, there are toilets with larger diameter trapways. Caroma toilets have 4" trapways. If that's not big enough (I'll admit that I'm not familiar with elephant poop), perhaps an incinerating toilet would work.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Pics?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM
I had family in town last weekend, and my 15-year-old nephew dropped a log in our toilet that defied belief. If you told me that monstrosity could have passed through the anus of this tall, skinny kid, i would never have believed you.

A couple of flushes made clear that there was no way this massive trout was ever going to make it through the S-bend. It had to be physically pummeled into submission with the plunger.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:02 AM
What about a British style toilet? There's no valves in the pan, so the waste lands in the reasonably deep water*. When the flush goes, everything in the pan goes round the U bend which goes into a 4" pipe. Better still if you have a traditional high cistern, where you pull the chain and the water has at least a 6' head start before it forces the elephant turd down the pan.

A cross section of my bog looks like this, so there's a reasonably large opening to get everything down. Whether this meets with your local building standards is another matter.

The only other option that I have used where volume is not a problem was a long drop composting toilet. Not very suitable for domestic situations, and the smell in the summer was interesting to say the least.

*This has the unfortunate effect of occasional splashback...

Possible TMI follows.

SPOILER:
Or on the other hand you can have the turd which doesn't break off before it hits the water.
SPOILER:
Which is even more impressive if you are on a diving board at the time...
Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 AM
What you are looking for is a macerating toilet. Like this:

http://libertypumps.com/Products/Category/?c=21
Old 12-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Wow, there really is such a thing.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoskK View Post
Did you know that elephants eat their own poop?

Not a great suggestion, I know. But if you're stuck for ideas...
Old 12-16-2013, 12:37 PM
How about trying to get hold of an older, non-low flush toilet?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Today I learned that there are incinerator toilets. Today I also learned that you can burn poop.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoskK View Post
Can you imagine the peanuts?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:50 PM
I think that a change on his diet would also help. More water and milk.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demian_travis View Post
I think that a change on his diet would also help. More water and milk.
Don't forget the fiber!
Old 12-16-2013, 12:57 PM
BANNED
Lol, I have the same problem. For some reason, I always clog the toilet. I think you should just buy a better toilet.. one of those with a high-powered flusher.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastle View Post
How about trying to get hold of an older, non-low flush toilet?
They aren't necessarily any better at big dumps.

Between regular toilets (which come with a bewildering array of "super-flush" designations, which are nearly all pure marketing BS) and the commercial high-pressure flushers that sound like a backfiring jet engine, there are "vacuum assist" toilets that are not terribly expensive, noisy or requiring of special plumbing. I can vouch for their ability to carry away at least medium-sized elephant poop.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 12-16-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post

Macerators have become more common with the RV crowd, as well.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Today I learned that there are incinerator toilets. Today I also learned that you can burn poop.
See Incinolet. There was an episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe was involved in the repair of one of these things. It was a pretty nasty job.

As far as burning poop goes...yes, there are some places that actually use dried animal dung as fuel for fires.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Several considerations.

You want a toilet with a wide trap. American toilets seem to clog easily because they have narrower traps and "exhaust" diameter. Try to get a toilet with a wider passage.

Toilets which use flushometer and have a jet that pushes the waste down are better BUT they require higher water pressure to work well. Make sure before you buy one.

Macerating toilets (often used on boats) would not be the best solution because they macerate after the trap where the clog is. The main purpose of a macerator toilet is to be able to use a narrower waste pipe, not to be able to handle bigger waste.

Having a regular tank higher up does nothing unless you have a very wide pipe (which you don't). A low tank dumps the water quicker because the connection is wider.

When I travel and clog toilets I will often just take a bucket and pour it from a certain height and the force and pressure is often enough to make things move.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:58 PM
The macerating pump is for situations where you cant usually put a toilet, where the "stuff" has to be ground up so it can be pumped through a 2" pipe to the sewer... 2" pipes clog up the box of tricks might stop working and then the only option is set fire to the house and run...On a more practical front a hands off approach is to pour a kettle of boiling water on the offending "stuff", that helps it break up...also some camping toilets work with a liquid that will dissolve it into goo before flushing...
Old 12-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Between regular toilets (which come with a bewildering array of "super-flush" designations, which are nearly all pure marketing BS) and the commercial high-pressure flushers that sound like a backfiring jet engine, there are "vacuum assist" toilets that are not terribly expensive, noisy or requiring of special plumbing. I can vouch for their ability to carry away at least medium-sized elephant poop.
I was unable to find any reasonably priced vacuum assist toilets when I was facing this same problem. Consumer reports seems to agree and doesn't even test them (http://consumerreports.org/cro/t...ying-guide.htm).

Marketing BS or not, I had great success with an American Standard Champion 4, which is an inexpensive regular gravity-fed model. I went from having to unclog the old one once a month, to being clog free for several years now. It has seriously never clogged. The 2 3/8" glazed trapway doesn't sound like a big improvement diameter-wise but it was enough to make a difference in my case.

It's one of the top performers in the Consumer Reports testing, but you'll need to subscribe to see more details.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Hawk View Post
I was unable to find any reasonably priced vacuum assist toilets when I was facing this same problem. Consumer reports seems to agree and doesn't even test them (http://consumerreports.org/cro/t...ying-guide.htm).
They did a few years ago when I used their recommendation, in part, to buy a pair. Had excellent results with them in an *ahem* difficult household.

As for marketing BS, walk down the line of thrones at HD or Lowe's and find one that DOESN'T claim super-flushing capabilities, even the $100 rental-class ones.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 12-16-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
If the problem is that the stool is too large to fit into the toilet's trapway, there are toilets with larger diameter trapways. Caroma toilets have 4" trapways. If that's not big enough (I'll admit that I'm not familiar with elephant poop), perhaps an incinerating toilet would work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1985 View Post
Lol, I have the same problem. For some reason, I always clog the toilet. I think you should just buy a better toilet.. one of those with a high-powered flusher.
My father has this problem, due to some medical issues he has. First, my SO and I put in a US made toilet, one advertised to let you flush buckets of golf balls, followed by a bowling ball. It didn't do the trick. The good news, we now own a truly impressive toilet snake.

Then we got one of the Caroma toilets. Like Gus Gusterson says, it's got a 4" trapway instead of a 2". After 6 months of use, there were no clogging problems. It is a bit pricey, and Caroma was rather hard to work with (they are in Australia and didn't seem to like answering correspondences from the store we were using) but all of that has been well worth it, to know that my mother is no longer fishing things out of the toilet.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Maybe a machete on a cord hung near the toilet paper would be a low-tech and cheap solution?
Old 12-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Maybe a machete on a cord hung near the toilet paper would be a low-tech and cheap solution?
Um. How to put this... When I was maybe ten, I had a huge plastic bowie knife as part of a Halloween costume. In my teens, I could clog a main sewer line. The not-quite-a-toy knife lived where it could do... doo-doo machete duty.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Um. How to put this... When I was maybe ten, I had a huge plastic bowie knife as part of a Halloween costume. In my teens, I could clog a main sewer line. The not-quite-a-toy knife lived where it could do... doo-doo machete duty.
Sounds to me like you're a professional barbarian. No mere amateur would have proposed such a solution.

Last edited by Pork Rind; 12-16-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Can't type, can't spell, can't live if living is without you.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
I prefer The Destroilet
Old 12-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Corellian Nerfherder
Quote:
Are you my cousin? This story sounds eerily familiar.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:29 PM
[Kenny]"There's another classic example of someone having a two inch arsehole and us having installed only one inch piping.[/Kenny]
Old 12-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
Sounds to me like you're a professional barbarian. No mere amateur would have proposed such a solution.
Actually, it was Mama Barbarian's solution. I was faintly grossed out by having the poop sword live in the bucket with the toilet brush...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Are you my cousin? This story sounds eerily familiar.
I don't know that anyone outside the household knew about it, but it's possible. Sacramento, early 1970s?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:56 PM
SDSAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRyan View Post
Pics?
Need answer fast?
Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
Did you know that elephants eat their own poop?
. . . which, in turn, becomes more poop. So how far back can existing elephant poop molecules be traced?
Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Charter Member
Quote:

So the shit really does hit the fan.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Corellian Nerfherder
Quote:
I don't know that anyone outside the household knew about it, but it's possible. Sacramento, early 1970s?
Nope (Wisconsin, a few years later). Still, pretty amusing coincidence.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Quote:

Arrr, 'tis a fine slurry.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 AM
Quote:
They did a few years ago when I used their recommendation, in part, to buy a pair. Had excellent results with them in an *ahem* difficult household.
Do you remember what brand and model you bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes of Chocolate View Post
Then we got one of the Caroma toilets. Like Gus Gusterson says, it's got a 4" trapway instead of a 2". After 6 months of use, there were no clogging problems. It is a bit pricey, and Caroma was rather hard to work with (they are in Australia...
I see they have a USA web site...
Old 12-17-2013, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes of Chocolate View Post
My father has this problem, due to some medical issues he has. First, my SO and I put in a US made toilet, one advertised to let you flush buckets of golf balls, followed by a bowling ball. It didn't do the trick. The good news, we now own a truly impressive toilet snake.

Then we got one of the Caroma toilets. Like Gus Gusterson says, it's got a 4" trapway instead of a 2". After 6 months of use, there were no clogging problems. It is a bit pricey, and Caroma was rather hard to work with (they are in Australia and didn't seem to like answering correspondences from the store we were using) but all of that has been well worth it, to know that my mother is no longer fishing things out of the toilet.

Excellent post/username combo.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:
As for marketing BS, walk down the line of thrones at HD or Lowe's and find one that DOESN'T claim super-flushing capabilities, even the $100 rental-class ones.
Preach it. We bought a Jameco toilet from HD and had to unclog the thing on a weekly basis. Later we found an industry review of toilets and discovered that we'd purchased the single worst-performing toilet they tested.

We replaced it with a Kohler Wellworth and have had only one clog in a couple of years. Might give one of those a try, since it's cheaper and easier to find and install than some of the other options suggested (although I wouldn't mind testing one of those flush-it-with fire models for the novelty).
Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Charter Member
Honestly, I don't know why you put up with crappy solutions to pooh removal in the US. I often see people write about clogging problems and invariably they are in the US. I have never had a toilet clog on me. Use a decent size drain and all your problems flush away completely clogless. I have a Caroma bowl with dual flush and a small deposit can be flushed with the half flush option with no worries about clogging.

Then again, if you must use low water usage models it may not meet requirements. I think the half flush is 6 litres and the whole one is 11 litres. (Obviously not exactly half). So that's 6/3.78 = 1.6 gals or 11/3.78 = 2.9 US gallons.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:51 PM
When I lived in the land of unreliable plumbing, we just kept a piece of straight wire (I think I used an unbent coat hanger) near the plunger for those situations. Kind of gross, but it beats a pricey remodel.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Fruit View Post
Honestly, I don't know why you put up with crappy solutions to pooh removal in the US. I often see people write about clogging problems and invariably they are in the US.
Before i moved to the United States, i had never had a toilet clogged in my life.

Growing up in Australia, i thought a plunger was some magical cartoon implement that didn't actually exist in real life. I never saw a real one until i came to the States.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Would flushing several times throughout the process help? You could install an automatic flush toilet if he couldn't do that by himself. Surely he isn't dropping elephant bombs all at once.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:27 AM
I live in an apartment building that has a lot of horizontal plumbing, and yes, there is a "mechanical" way of dealing with it. Keep a knife handy near the toilet, and cut them up manually before flushing. I hesitate to use the term "bite size", but you get the picture. Use rubber gloves and/or wash your hands afterward. Learn to handle poop, you life will be a lot easier.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM
A couple of flushes made clear that there was no way this massive trout was ever going to make it through the S-bend. It had to be physically pummeled into submission with the plunger.[/QUOTE]

Oh my god, I laughed so hard at this!!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 PM
In the early 90's I switched to the water saving toilets. I forget which brand I bought (from HD)
but it was THE WORST toilet, every #2 clogged them up. So I did some research and replaced them with ones that have a 2 1/2 inch glazed trap. Haven't had a single clog since.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 PM
To Hell with the special toilet; let's start with the simple fork...

Put it down and step away.

Last edited by Claude Remains; 12-18-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:33 PM
I can't help wondering if the person that's producing such prodigious output should maybe see a doctor. This kind of thing is not normal or healthy, so far as I know.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Why? Why do I open, and read, these threads?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
I can't help wondering if the person that's producing such prodigious output should maybe see a doctor. This kind of thing is not normal or healthy, so far as I know.
That's ridiculous. What are you basing that on?
I have the embarrassing claim to fame that I've clogged a toilet in every state and country where I've ever taken a dump. Even as a little kid I could have been ranked high on ratemypoo.com.

I asked my internist about my prodigious poop output, and the fact that only poop every 2 or 3 days. He said as long as it was regular, and not causing me any problems (other than the clogged toilets) that it didn't really matter how long it was between dumps. I eat a lot of fiber; could probably stand to drink more water; but otherwise healthy person. I've been this way all my life.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Short of spending over a thousand or more or on a super toilet the obvious solution is to train the person to bust up their feces. If they are truly retarded then the person assisting them with bowel movements will have to do this, alternatively if they can be trusted to go on their own they can probably be trusted to break up the feces mass by themselves.

The only question is what to use. I'm think something cheap made of stiff coat hanger wire or a long handled metal barbecue spatula or similar would work and you will need a small trash with lid can to keep it in. They will probably have to be instructed the first few times they employ it.

Last edited by astro; 12-19-2013 at 10:26 AM.