Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 05-19-2001, 10:13 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Great South Bay
Posts: 703
When 2 lanes merge into 1, who has the right of way, the car in the left lane, or the car in the right lane? (Assume they arrive at the merge at the same time). This has been a source of confusion for me. I'm not talking about an onramp to a highway here, just two lanes on an ordinary road that narrow into a single lane.
#2
Old 05-19-2001, 10:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 22
In this region,CA,NV,AZ there is usually signage directing traffic : "Lane ends merge right" or "Lane ends merge left"
#3
Old 05-19-2001, 10:22 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 22
In the case of "Lane ends merge left" the car on the right merging to theleft must yield .
#4
Old 05-19-2001, 10:26 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Great South Bay
Posts: 703
That's great if there is such a sign saying "merge left" or "merge right" but in my neighborhood there are no such signs, hence the confusion. What if there is no sign?
#5
Old 05-19-2001, 10:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 82
........and in my region as well(Southeast). The traffic in the lane that is ending gives the right of way to the other lane.

[rant]And it never fails that some a-hole will fly past, in the ending lane, and try to merge in at the last minute even though they could have planned ahead, like the rest of us, and gotten over. [/rant]
#6
Old 05-19-2001, 11:46 PM
rjk rjk is offline
Guest
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: At Zyada's beck and call!
Posts: 3,481
That's 'merge', dammit! Alternate! Left, right, left, right! Let people in, and don't rush ahead! Bunch of jerks!

(You might have noticed that this is one of my pet peeves. The rule given above works fine except when the traffic is jammed up.)
__________________
Bob the Random Expert
Bon vivant by day, cheesemonger by night!
#7
Old 05-20-2001, 12:52 AM
dqa dqa is offline
Guest
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 964
I don't think anyone has truly answered the question yet; I think what DaveRaver is asking is this:

At a 4-way stop the vehicle to the right goes first if two cars arrive at the intersection at the same time. Is there any comparable rule of thumb if you are exactly the same speed and position as the car in the lane next to you, and the two lanes merge to one?

And I'll add my own question here: On a multilane highway, if you on the left and another car on the right both seek to change lanes to the lane in the center, who has right of way?

I suspect there may not be an answer to the first question, but I recall that at least in Texas, there is a rule for the second.
#8
Old 05-20-2001, 01:02 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Heartland of New Jersey
Posts: 1,892
Going south on the NJ Turnpike, there's a big ol' merge where the "cars only" join the "cars and trucks" lanes. When the respective right and left lanes become one, there is no indication who has the right-of-way (IIRC). Fortunately most folks follow the rjk Rule aka the Alternate, dammit! Rule.


(I looked on the Turnpike and NJ DMV websites, but could find no appropriate citation.)
#9
Old 05-20-2001, 01:10 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington dc
Posts: 16,441
When 2 lanes merge, who has right of way?

I do, dammit! Whatsamatter? You gotta problem with that?
#10
Old 05-20-2001, 01:27 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 826
In theory it's what the sign says whichever lane ends. In practice it's the more aggressive driver, always.
#11
Old 05-20-2001, 01:57 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 82
I was right after all, I AM the only person that knows how to drive.

Everyone is making this way too difficult.

I have never seen an instance where a lane merges with another without some type of signage to indicate which lane has the right of way. It never says "right/left lane has the right of way", but it will say something like "left lane ends' or "merge right".

In any case, if you are in the lane that is ending, you yield to the other lane.

Quote:
At a 4-way stop the vehicle to the right goes first if two cars arrive at the intersection at the same time. Is there any comparable rule of thumb if you are exactly the same speed and position as the car in the lane next to you, and the two lanes merge to one? dqa
dqa, if people would pay attention to the signs this would not occur. The person who is in the ending lane should see the sign and adjust his speed by speeding up or slowing down (I prefer speeding up) so that he/she may merge into the other lane without impeding the flow in that other lane. In short, it just means that someone is not paying attention.

Quote:
Going south on the NJ Turnpike, there's a big ol' merge where the "cars only" join the "cars and trucks" lanes. When the respective right and left lanes become one, there is no indication who has the right-of-way (IIRC). Fortunately most folks follow the rjk Rule aka the Alternate, dammit! Rule brachyrhynchos
Again, this is obvious if the signs are read. If, as you say, the "cars only lane" merges with the "cars and trucks lane" then this means that the "cars only" lane is ending and you must yield to the traffic in the "cars and trucks" lane.

also, dqa asked
Quote:
And I'll add my own question here: On a multilane highway, if you on the left and another car on the right both seek to change lanes to the lane in the center, who has right of way?
My own common sense way of dealing with this issue is to never change lanes directly beside someone else. If, however, someone else really needs to, I would guess that the person moving left to right has the right of way over the person moving right to left since they would have a better view of the opposing vehicle's turn signals (the little lights at the corners of your vehicle which noone uses).

Now it's time for me to ask my question;
If you are in the left lane of a multilane highway and you are 1)barely doing the speed limit, 2)talking on your cellphone and 3)wiping boogers on the carpet (or whatever it is that has your head disappearing and your car weaving), when you look in the mirror and see me behind you, why don't you get the hell over? Have you ever heard the phrase "slower traffic keep right"? Well, do it!

While we're at it, why don't you hang up the freakin phone? You are, afterall, driving a car not a phonebooth.
#12
Old 05-20-2001, 02:02 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Posts: 3,230
How about this for simple- Whoever is ahead of you has the right of way.

That's the way I was taught.
#13
Old 05-20-2001, 05:24 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,256
I have never heard of a rule for this situation. I'm with those that assume if everybody was paying attention, and being considerate (haha) there is no need for a rule. Whichever car is ahead has right of way; unless they are going [painfully slowly & I can safely pass.

As to merging into the center lane, I'm with mojo.
Common sense. I always pull far enough ahead of the adjacent car so they can clearly see what I am intending to do. Assuming they are paying attention to the little blinky thing on the corner of my vehicle. I used to drive a truck OTR. A guy died right in front of me because he in the left lane, & car #2 in the right lane were both racing along side of me (in a semi in the center lane) to get in front of me. I saw it coming & started to slow down as both cars cut right in front of me & blammo. Tough price to pay for driving like a jerk. And having the ringside seat to watch someone go halfway through the windshield, then be slammed againts the drivers' side window practically decapitated will definitely put a damper on your day.

Bottom line: being alert & common sense. Only in the absence of these two things do we actually need many traffic rules.
#14
Old 05-20-2001, 06:32 AM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Gone
Posts: 39,401
Quote:
At a 4-way stop the vehicle to the right goes first if two cars arrive at the intersection at the same time. Is there any comparable rule of thumb if you are exactly the same speed and position as the car in the lane next to you, and the two lanes merge to one?
That reminds me of a question I once had. Four vehicles arrive at exactly the same time at a rural intersection, void of any signs or signals. One is the president of the United States on his way to avert a nuclear holocaust; another is a policeman on the way to an armed robbery in progess; the third is an ambulance on its way to a life-and-death emergency; the fourth is a fire-truck on its way to a fire at an orphanage: Which of these vehicles has the right-of-way?

I made phone calls (there was no Internet at the time) and got wishy-washy answers until I called the local highway patrol. A patrolman answered the phone, and I asked him my question. He replied instantly, "I dunno. But if the mailman were there, he would have the right-of-way!"
#15
Old 05-20-2001, 08:21 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 9,193
Quote:
Originally posted by rjk
That's 'merge', dammit! Alternate! Left, right, left, right! Let people in, and don't rush ahead! Bunch of jerks!

(You might have noticed that this is one of my pet peeves. The rule given above works fine except when the traffic is jammed up.)

Yeah, I agree. The traffic should close up like a zipper, and it can then keep moving at a respectable speed. However, all it takes is for one arsehole to speed up and force one guy to wait, and then you have one fast moving lane, and a bunch of people in the other lane stuck there stopped indefinitely.

In Sydney, (we drive on the left of the road), the left lane usually has to give way to the right. There is a sign saying "Left lane ends. Merge right", and a broken white line which the cars in the left lane must cross (it has the same legal meaning as a white "give way" or "yield" line at an intersection. The cars in the right lane just keep driving along at full speed - it's not their problem.

When driving in Melbourne however, I've found they don't have this system. In that city, the line between the lanes simply stops at the point where the road begins to narrow. I think the traffic just has to fight it out. It freaked me a bit.
__________________
Chat to the Australian and New Zealand Dopers at G'Dope ('merkins and sundry furriners more than welcome). "Check them out" - Cecil Adams
#16
Old 05-20-2001, 10:09 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,787
The only reasonable way I have found it to alternate merge at the actual merge - not before. I have found (and you have too, I know you have) that when 2 lanes merge people start to get over to the lane that goes through. Some continue to the merge. This means that people in the through lane get screwed so I always take the shorter line - it just makes sense.

One state that I have seen gets it right. While driving through PA construction zone there was a sign something like right lane ends STAY IN YOUR LANE TILL THE MERGE - they alternate.

Also in practice the right-of-way goes away in place of an alternate merge in traffic jams.

...or such is my humble O
#17
Old 05-20-2001, 10:30 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Starbucksistan
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally posted by k2dave
The only reasonable way I have found it to alternate merge at the actual merge - not before.<snip> This means that people in the through lane get screwed so I always take the shorter line - it just makes sense.

One state that I have seen gets it right. While driving through PA construction zone there was a sign something like right lane ends STAY IN YOUR LANE TILL THE MERGE - they alternate.
AMEN TO THAT!! We have an intersection here where there is ALWAYS a backup because people DON'T know how to merge. They see the 'lane ends 1/2 mile - merge left' sign, so they do... ignoring the part that says '1/2 MILE'. I say screw 'em, and stay in the right hand lane until the merge... I rarely even have to slow down, while the left lane is crawling at 10 miles per. A local newpaper column called 'The Road Warrior' (isn't THAT original!) asked the State Patrol why they don't ticket people who do like I do. The cop's response? "Well, because they aren't doing anything wrong!" bwa-ha-ha!!!

Another right-of-way question. Here in Washington (and in a few other states to boot) they have a thing called the 'Road-Hog Law'. Basically, if you are on a two lane road, and you notice 5 or more cars lined up behind you, you are supposed to move to the right at the first safe opportunity and let them by. Does this include if you are already going ten miles an hour over the speed limit?
#18
Old 05-20-2001, 10:36 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 22
[
AMEN TO THAT!! We have an intersection here where there is ALWAYS a backup because people DON'T know how to merge. They see the 'lane ends 1/2 mile - merge left' sign, so they do... ignoring the part that says '1/2 MILE'. I say screw 'em, and stay in the right hand lane until the merge... I rarely even have to slow down, while the left lane is crawling at 10 miles per. A local newpaper column called 'The Road Warrior' (isn't THAT original!) asked the State Patrol why they don't ticket people who do like I do. The cop's response? "Well, because they aren't doing anything wrong!" bwa-ha-ha!!!

Another right-of-way question. Here in Washington (and in a few other states to boot) they have a thing called the 'Road-Hog Law'. Basically, if you are on a two lane road, and you notice 5 or more cars lined up behind you, you are supposed to move to the right at the first safe opportunity and let them by. Does this include if you are already going ten miles an hour over the speed limit? [/B][/QUOTE]
#19
Old 05-20-2001, 10:49 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 22
[
AMEN TO THAT!! We have an intersection here where there is ALWAYS a backup because people DON'T know how to merge. They see the 'lane ends 1/2 mile - merge left' sign, so they do... ignoring the part that says '1/2 MILE'. I say screw 'em, and stay in the right hand lane until the merge... I rarely even have to slow down, while the left lane is crawling at 10 miles per. A local newpaper column called 'The Road Warrior' (isn't THAT original!) asked the State Patrol why they don't ticket people who do like I do. The cop's response? "Well, because they aren't doing anything wrong!" bwa-ha-ha!!!

Another right-of-way question. Here in Washington (and in a few other states to boot) they have a thing called the 'Road-Hog Law'. Basically, if you are on a two lane road, and you notice 5 or more cars lined up behind you, you are supposed to move to the right at the first safe opportunity and let them by. Does this include if you are already going ten miles an hour over the speed limit? [/B][/QUOTE]Yo,the sign says"lane ends 1/2 mile" not "merge left 1/2 mile"Did you ever think that the people merging are cooperating and you ar e the brazen jerk safely insulated from the people you don't even know and brush off with"fuck em"Screw you, I've risked confrontation with jerks like you by keeping my car over far enough where you can't get by and got more cooperation from the rest in line.I won't be doing this any more as I value my life enough to not to have to involve myself with the miserable assholes who disregard everyone else in this world.Grow up,work together.As for the road hog law.I say teach this in driver ed and make it a mandatory question on all drivers tests.
#20
Old 05-20-2001, 11:07 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Starbucksistan
Posts: 3,157
Oh, so I'm a jerk because I do something that is PERFECTLY LEGAL???

Ahhh... but the point is that I am doing nothing wrong... and the cops have backed that up in print ... If you aren't supposed to USE the pavement for 1/2 a mile, then why the hell have it there??? MY point is that if MORE people did what I do that friggin' back-up wouldn't be as bad! Don't panic, stay calm, and ALTERNATE who gets in... it's so simple, people.

By the same token, in situations where I get stuck in the left lane (usually, if I'm there, I'm not about to switch into the right lane) I ALWAYS let others get in front of me...as many as need to... as it is obnoxious AND DANGEROUS to 'move over to try to block them off by "keeping my car over far enough where you can't get by"
#21
Old 05-20-2001, 11:22 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 82
A cheer for the professional drivers!

Quote:
. I used to drive a truck OTR. A guy died right in front of me because he in the left lane, & car #2 in the right lane were both racing along side of me (in a semi in the center lane) to get in front me. I saw it coming & started to slow down.................. Carina42
I saw it coming & started to slow down...

That right there is the key; looking ahead (or, in this case, using your mirrors ) and anticipating what will come next.
I also used to drive OTR and I took great pride in being overly cautious. If I was caught in a high traffic, high stress situation I would imagine that my own wife and children were in the cars around me and drove accordingly.

This brings up an excellent point. It has been my experience that professional truck drivers are much better drivers than people like to think they are.[grammar?]
#22
Old 05-20-2001, 11:32 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by lawoot
Oh, so I'm a jerk because I do something that is PERFECTLY LEGAL???

Ahhh... but the point is that I am doing nothing wrong... and the cops have backed that up in print ... If you aren't supposed to USE the pavement for 1/2 a mile, then why the hell have it there??? MY point is that if MORE people did what I do that friggin' back-up wouldn't be as bad! Don't panic, stay calm, and ALTERNATE who gets in... it's so simple, people.

By the same token, in situations where I get stuck in the left lane (usually, if I'm there, I'm not about to switch into the right lane) I ALWAYS let others get in front of me...as many as need to... as it is obnoxious AND DANGEROUS to 'move over to try to block them off by "keeping my car over far enough where you can't get by"
#23
Old 05-20-2001, 11:38 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by lawoot
Oh, so I'm a jerk because I do something that is PERFECTLY LEGAL???

Ahhh... but the point is that I am doing nothing wrong... and the cops have backed that up in print ... If you aren't supposed to USE the pavement for 1/2 a mile, then why the hell have it there??? MY point is that if MORE people did what I do that friggin' back-up wouldn't be as bad! Don't panic, stay calm, and ALTERNATE who gets in... it's so simple, people.

By the same token, in situations where I get stuck in the left lane (usually, if I'm there, I'm not about to switch into the right lane) I ALWAYS let others get in front of me...as many as need to... as it is obnoxious AND DANGEROUS to 'move over to try to block them off by "keeping my car over far enough where you can't get by"
No you're a jerk because your doing some thing totally inconsiderate.Your response of "fuck em" only reveals your superiorty complex .Those other faceless drivers are your neighbors on this planet.Being considerate and cooperative makes for a better neighborhood.
#24
Old 05-20-2001, 11:55 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Starbucksistan
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally posted by khalidee
No you're a jerk because your doing some thing totally inconsiderate.Your response of "fuck em" only reveals your superiorty complex .Those other faceless drivers are your neighbors on this planet.Being considerate and cooperative makes for a better neighborhood. [/B]
You know... I used that stupid left hand lane for two years before a friend of mine pointed out that the other lane was moving faster. The first time I did it it cut TEN MINUTES off my drive. So, yeah, screw 'em (not "fuck 'em" - YOU said thatm not me) if they can't figure out that you don't have to fly over to the left lane immediately, then park for ten minutes. As long as I get over there before the half mile is up, then I'm doing NOTHING WRONG. The pavement's there for a reason. USE IT.

You know, I even yield (if it's safe) to let vehicles ON the highway at on-ramps - which is something that I don't have to do. I could be like MOST of the other people on the road and just sit in the lane and ignore the people trying to get on, but no, I let 'em in. You do that? I flash my headlights to let truckers know it's safe to pull back in fronmt of me when they pass me. You do that? I do ONE thing when I drive where I decide to let me have the advantage, and I'M a jerk? Fuck you.
#25
Old 05-20-2001, 12:12 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by lawoot
Quote:
Originally posted by khalidee
No you're a jerk because your doing some thing totally inconsiderate.Your response of "fuck em" only reveals your superiorty complex .Those other faceless drivers are your neighbors on this planet.Being considerate and cooperative makes for a better neighborhood.
You know... I used that stupid left hand lane for two years before a friend of mine pointed out that the other lane was moving faster. The first time I did it it cut TEN MINUTES off my drive. So, yeah, screw 'em (not "fuck 'em" - YOU said thatm not me) if they can't figure out that you don't have to fly over to the left lane immediately, then park for ten minutes. As long as I get over there before the half mile is up, then I'm doing NOTHING WRONG. The pavement's there for a reason. USE IT.

You know, I even yield (if it's safe) to let vehicles ON the highway at on-ramps - which is something that I don't have to do. I could be like MOST of the other people on the road and just sit in the lane and ignore the people trying to get on, but no, I let 'em in. You do that? I flash my headlights to let truckers know it's safe to pull back in fronmt of me when they pass me. You do that? I do ONE thing when I drive where I decide to let me have the advantage, and I'M a jerk? Fuck you. [/B]
Fine.You are also sometimes courteous driver.I actually fall into the some category being a some what agressive driver but not to the point of de personalizing everyone else on the road.In the case of the two lane merging, one hazard you fail to over look and I have seen many onstances of another impatient driver pulling out of the line and into the path of the speeding passer .I'm sure there are afew collisions in this situation as I've witnessed many near misses.Truce?
#26
Old 05-20-2001, 12:17 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by lawoot
Quote:
Originally posted by khalidee
No you're a jerk because your doing some thing totally inconsiderate.Your response of "fuck em" only reveals your superiorty complex .Those other faceless drivers are your neighbors on this planet.Being considerate and cooperative makes for a better neighborhood.
You know... I used that stupid left hand lane for two years before a friend of mine pointed out that the other lane was moving faster. The first time I did it it cut TEN MINUTES off my drive. So, yeah, screw 'em (not "fuck 'em" - YOU said thatm not me) if they can't figure out that you don't have to fly over to the left lane immediately, then park for ten minutes. As long as I get over there before the half mile is up, then I'm doing NOTHING WRONG. The pavement's there for a reason. USE IT.

You know, I even yield (if it's safe) to let vehicles ON the highway at on-ramps - which is something that I don't have to do. I could be like MOST of the other people on the road and just sit in the lane and ignore the people trying to get on, but no, I let 'em in. You do that? I flash my headlights to let truckers know it's safe to pull back in fronmt of me when they pass me. You do that? I do ONE thing when I drive where I decide to let me have the advantage, and I'M a jerk? Fuck you. [/B]
Yes I do yield to merging traffic and have flashed my l;ights to truckers since I was 16. my father taught me that aloing with many courtesies that keep you on top of the situation and making a contribution to a safe flow on the road.thanks for the lively exchange.
#27
Old 05-20-2001, 12:28 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,787
khalidee I bet when you go shopping you go to the line that's the longest too. Way to go - thank you. Me I'll chose the shorter line as long as it's open.

Sometimes at ski areas, lines for lifts get backed up. Some of these lifts have entries at both sides (left and right) with a merge. I have numerous times went around the long way(to the other side of the lift) to avoid a long line on the close easy-to-get-to side.

Also I wish to mention that the way I pointed out is fairer then your's given human nature. You are bringing the merge point to the point where traffic is backing up - Who are you to set the merge point - it was set by the hwy dept of construction crew. and may I point out that taking up to lanes is illeagle and ticketable. You are clearly in the wrong and are a hazard to people in the lane w/o traffic.
#28
Old 05-20-2001, 12:42 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Heartland of New Jersey
Posts: 1,892
CHILDREN, CHILDREN, DON'T MAKE ME STOP THIS CAR!!!

mojo filter got me thinking that perhaps I was mistaken in what I saw on the Turnpike. So, being a lazy Sunday morn, I decided to hop in the Maxima, throw a disk into the Mavica and take a drive south.

The PHOTOS show that:
1) there are no indications of right-of-way, and
2) clearly, I need a hobby.

As I mentioned before, the times that I've been through here, I've not seen a merge problem. Pretty remarkable for a state full of fussbudgets and NASCAR wannabees.
#29
Old 05-20-2001, 12:51 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by k2dave
khalidee I bet when you go shopping you go to the line that's the longest too. Way to go - thank you. Me I'll chose the shorter line as long as it's open.

Sometimes at ski areas, lines for lifts get backed up. Some of these lifts have entries at both sides (left and right) with a merge. I have numerous times went around the long way(to the other side of the lift) to avoid a long line on the close easy-to-get-to side.

Also I wish to mention that the way I pointed out is fairer then your's given human nature. You are bringing the merge point to the point where traffic is backing up - Who are you to set the merge point - it was set by the hwy dept of construction crew. and may I point out that taking up to lanes is illeagle and ticketable. You are clearly in the wrong and are a hazard to people in the lane w/o traffic.
The merge point may have started way forward and thefollowing drivers merged leaving space ahead inthe reducing lane allowing the inconsiderate few to assert their right to jump way forward past those who merged safely and voluntarily early.Anyway there are so many variables in this situation presenting safe outlets sometimes and reckless situations othertimes.I frequent ski areas some 100 days per season and ski lift lines present many opportunities to observe rage in top form.I assure you I'm well versed in lift line strategy.The best strategy of course is to get there early,milk the first tracks and be heading home for lunch when everyone else is backed up in the parking lot.
#30
Old 05-20-2001, 12:58 PM
Charter Member
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 77,377
[Moderator watch ON]

OK, kids, I don't know who started this pissing contest, and I don't care. It ends right here. I suggest that both lawoot and khalidee, and anyone else thinking of getting involved, forget that this argument ever took place. If you're not capable of doing that, then take it to e-mail. If I see one more post in this thread continuing that fight, then Lynn will be hearing the name of whoever made that post. Got that?
__________________
Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
--As You Like It, III:ii:328
Check out my dice in the Marketplace
#31
Old 05-20-2001, 01:15 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,787
Quote:
The best strategy of course is to get there early,milk the first tracks and be heading home for lunch when everyone else is backed up in the parking lot
unless you are stuck in traffic
#32
Old 05-20-2001, 01:16 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Starbucksistan
Posts: 3,157
Chronos - Got it.

I would have accepted the offered truce earlier, but I was out doing some yard work. I apologize to all involved,
but mostly to khalidee, whom I unfairly released some unrelated work anger upon. (That's why I went to do the yard work. Needed to blow off some steam in a positive way) Again, sorry.
#33
Old 05-20-2001, 01:17 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,787
opps, that was b4 I knew Chronos stepped in. Sorry 'bout that. I hit reply b4 I saw your post.
#34
Old 05-20-2001, 02:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: RedondObama Beach, CA
Posts: 9,804
I have nothing relevant to add, but this thread reminded me of a very funny Dave Barry column.




____________________
Jeg elsker dig, Thomas
#35
Old 05-20-2001, 03:26 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: pluffmudville
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveRaver
That's great if there is such a sign saying "merge left" or "merge right" but in my neighborhood there are no such signs, hence the confusion. What if there is no sign?
In the absence of ANY sign which indicates which lane is to merge into the other, I'd think the car on the right has ROW (this goes back to pre-automobile rules of the road for naval vessels on which many automobile rules are based).

There may also be an angle that concerns the ROW for an auto in the lane that ORIGINALLY existed; you know, before the turn lane or merge lane was added, or road was widened to provide the extra lane. I'd think the auto in the original lane might be viewed as having ROW in that case.
#36
Old 05-20-2001, 03:41 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 82
brachyrhynchos, it would appear that you are correct, there is no indication of who would have the right of way.

In this case I guess the right of way goes to the biggest vehicle.
#37
Old 05-20-2001, 05:18 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Heartland of New Jersey
Posts: 1,892
Ha, mojo, which is why I drive in the right lane.

Given the amount of traffic (I-95, along the Boston-DC corridor), I guess there would be signs posted if it were a problem.
#38
Old 05-20-2001, 06:18 PM
dqa dqa is offline
Guest
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 964
Ha! Found the answer to my question at last. Sadly, i was unable to find the answer to the OP at this site. Interestingly, Texas statutes do not make use of the word "merge" in the context of lanes.
Quote:
545.061. Driving on Multiple-Lane Roadway
On a roadway divided into three or more lanes and providing for one-way movement of traffic, an operator entering a lane of traffic from a lane to the right shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle entering the same lane of traffic from a lane to the left.
#39
Old 05-21-2001, 06:00 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,256
Re: A cheer for the professional drivers!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mojo filter
Quote:
. This brings up an excellent point. It has been my experience that professional truck drivers are much better drivers than people like to think they are.[grammar?]
[hijack] Professional drivers have to be better drivers. Truckers drive a long tall vehicle that bends in the middle, in all kinds of road conditions, unfamiliar cities & routes, with a constantly changing load. Often driving in a month what the average driver covers in a year on familiar routes. And truckers are subject to the same point system against a license as anybody else...do the math.

I think people often think truckers are "bad" drivers because they are intimidated by the big scary trucks. [/hijack]

dqa That makes sense, of course. Yielding to the often faster-moving traffic on the left, much as one enters a freeway, is common sense.
#40
Old 05-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1
Right of way on merging lanes

This is easy. The merging lane has to yield to the through lane. In a civilized world, with slower traffic, left right left right is the polite thing to do, but if you come flying up on me and get your nose ahead of mine, and come into my lane; I will hit you, you will be at fault, ticketed, and pay for my damage that you coursed. Except for no fault states.
#41
Old 05-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 14,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Feelgud View Post
In theory it's what the sign says whichever lane ends. In practice it's the more aggressive driver, always.
Not always. I recall twice that I didn't let an aggressive jackass on the right merge in front of me, forcing said jackass to exit onto an off-ramp that he didn't intend to do.

Oh, wait. I guess that makes me the more aggressive jackass! Why, yes. Yes it does.
#42
Old 05-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 14,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk View Post
That's 'merge', dammit! Alternate! Left, right, left, right! Let people in, and don't rush ahead! Bunch of jerks!

(You might have noticed that this is one of my pet peeves. The rule given above works fine except when the traffic is jammed up.)
In fact, I have always noticed that, even in bumper-to-bumper traffic (and in fact, especially in bumper-to-bumper traffic), most drivers are pretty good about zipper merging.

ETA: This is true, even where an on-ramp lane merges, where technically the merging on-ramp traffic doesn't have the right-of-way at all -- specifically where the freeway traffic is bumper-to-bumper so they're all already going slow anyway. On-ramps in areas of heavy traffic commonly are metered these days, which helps make it easier.

Last edited by Senegoid; 05-29-2016 at 07:57 PM.
#43
Old 05-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Hutchinson, KS
Posts: 3,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Not always. I recall twice that I didn't let an aggressive jackass on the right merge in front of me, forcing said jackass to exit onto an off-ramp that he didn't intend to do.

Oh, wait. I guess that makes me the more aggressive jackass! Why, yes. Yes it does.
Major Feelgud's last activity was in 2004. I doubt the good Major will see this.
#44
Old 05-29-2016, 10:09 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal View Post
That reminds me of a question I once had. Four vehicles arrive at exactly the same time at a rural intersection, void of any signs or signals. One is the president of the United States on his way to avert a nuclear holocaust; another is a policeman on the way to an armed robbery in progess; the third is an ambulance on its way to a life-and-death emergency; the fourth is a fire-truck on its way to a fire at an orphanage: Which of these vehicles has the right-of-way?

I made phone calls (there was no Internet at the time) and got wishy-washy answers until I called the local highway patrol. A patrolman answered the phone, and I asked him my question. He replied instantly, "I dunno. But if the mailman were there, he would have the right-of-way!"
Since this thread has been resurrected, I gotta say: this is a good joke.

*cough* HOWEVER--
The answer is perfectly obvious--it's the policeman.

Reason: POTUS would be in Marine One in such a situation, not in a car. So that's actually an impostor. The ambulance is actually going to the fire at the orphanage. Therefore, it needs to yield to the fire truck. The EMTs can't do their thing until the fire is out. Eight seconds, or however long it takes for a car to clear an intersection, probably isn't going to make any significant difference at a fire, but it very well might at an armed robbery.

Therefore the policeman has the right of way.
#45
Old 05-29-2016, 10:21 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 39,475
In Thailand, the larger vehicle always has the right of way. Always. Sad but true.
#46
Old 05-30-2016, 12:09 AM
Suspended
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,678
This has to be the single most contentious traffic question I've ever encountered. Zipper-mergers and immediate-mergers fight hammer and tongs over this on almost every social media venue I've ever been a part of. And both sides are just incredulous that the other side could possibly be serious about their partisanship.

I'm always a little amazed at how enraged people can become just discussing this.
#47
Old 05-30-2016, 12:39 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 20,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Since this thread has been resurrected, I gotta say: this is a good joke.

*cough* HOWEVER--
The answer is perfectly obvious--it's the policeman.

Reason: POTUS would be in Marine One in such a situation, not in a car. So that's actually an impostor. The ambulance is actually going to the fire at the orphanage. Therefore, it needs to yield to the fire truck. The EMTs can't do their thing until the fire is out. Eight seconds, or however long it takes for a car to clear an intersection, probably isn't going to make any significant difference at a fire, but it very well might at an armed robbery.

Therefore the policeman has the right of way.
But what happened to the missing dollar?
#48
Old 05-30-2016, 02:54 AM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 43,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
In fact, I have always noticed that, even in bumper-to-bumper traffic (and in fact, especially in bumper-to-bumper traffic), most drivers are pretty good about zipper merging.

ETA: This is true, even where an on-ramp lane merges, where technically the merging on-ramp traffic doesn't have the right-of-way at all -- specifically where the freeway traffic is bumper-to-bumper so they're all already going slow anyway. On-ramps in areas of heavy traffic commonly are metered these days, which helps make it easier.
The car with the zombie in it, of course.

There is one exception. Many of our two lane entrance ramps go to a single lane before the highway merge. These are metered, and when the metering lights are on there is no problem, since only one car goes at a time. When off though it is possible that two cars hit the single lane at the same time. For the most part people are reasonable and stay in the right lane in this situation, but I should research what the law says, if anything.
Some have 24 hour a day carpool lanes on the left, and I'd suspect they have priority.
As for Lib's joke, the clear answer is the car with the biggest bumpers.
#49
Old 05-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 83
Whoever has the largest caliber gun in Florida.

Phu Cat
#50
Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 12,507
Makes me nuts in Colorado. We do have good signage on the highways, but whatever lane ends is willy nilly with no thought of the road design.

IMHO. The right lane should always have the ROW over overtaking/passing vehicles that made the choice to pass.
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: roundabout lyrics meaning magical gun 6'3 210 lbs speedway 79 demon etymology reed richards iq 50 caliber wound 5 cards blackjack frances conroy stroke chef quality cookware jap slap definition frosted light bulb why does laertes go to france along the same vein is there dna in urine what the market will bare or bear what does it mean to make a pass at someone is coke a clear liquid fred astaire puttin on the ritz youtube what is a welfare check is white chocolate bad for dogs tetanus shot pain how long raquel welch in the nude what does 24 inches on center mean