Old 03-12-2014, 06:47 PM
How to deal with mice behind a gas stove?

Hey all,

So... after the mice were kicked out from under the dishwasher, they found a NEW home behind the gas stove. Not good. I've cleaned out everything I can reach, and they seem to be somewhere in the small gap behind the stove (although they could be possibly in the top of the stove itself, I guess.) (The gap is a couple of inches horizontally, from the wall, and a few feet long.) This small space is ONLY behind the stove because it's wedged in so tightly (cabinets on either side), so the gap does not go straight through horizontally. (In other words, there's no way to reach it from the open side, because the cabinet to the right does not have the gap. I hope that made sense....)

It looks like the top metal part can be unscrewed, and then... I"m not exactly sure what happens. But that seems to be where the mice are. They might even just be in the space behind the grills in front and the back of the top part of the stove, rather than in the gap behind the stove. (Please tell me if this is confusing, and I'll post some pix of the setup.) I just got some no-kill mouse traps today, but even when the mice are gone (WHEN, I tell you!), that won't solve the problem of... well....

(not very pleasant part coming up)

Every time the oven is turned on in the last week or so, half of the house smells like warmed mouse pee. YAY. It's not one of the great smells. So really, the stove can't be used right now.

So I'm going to need to SOMEHOW, some way, get behind that stove (unless the mice really are only in the space that's literally built into the top of the stove itself.) I don't see how it can possibly be pulled out. But I can get the top off, and I think I might be able to go from there...

One big question, though, is if the gas needs to be shut off. If the main gas pipe for the stove is BEHIND the stove, then I don't see how to do it. But if I can just get that top off, I think that between a vacuum extension and a mop extension, I might be able to make it work. (Again, the mice would have to be gone by then, and I'd be cleaning up after them.)

So... ideas?? Has anyone else dealt with this situation before? If so, what did you do? What worked/didn't work?

All info welcome!

Last edited by Anise; 03-12-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 PM
I don't understand why it can't be pulled out. It was pushed in when it was purchased, and the gas hookup is most certainly behind there, with a flexible connection. Open the oven door, grip it from the inside, palms up, and pull it straight out. Ovens are not very heavy at all.

Also, they are likely hanging out in the broiler area, which is where your oven flame is, which is why you get the smell of burning mouse pee. You should be able to pull that whole drawer out and hose it off, and likely access the floor once the drawer is removed.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 PM
1. Are you a renter? if yes, call the landlord. Its his problem. Check your local laws - you may be entitled to withhold rent if the vermin are not eliminated promptly, or deduct if you pay for extermination & cleaning yourself.
2. are you the owner? If yes
a.If your stove is gas do not pass go, do not collect $200, call a licensed plumber to remove your stove safely.
b. If your stove is electric, see (a), except call an electrician.

ETA: SDT has a good point, you might be able to access the problem area by removing the broiler drawer or storage drawer, whichever your stove has.

Last edited by Hello Again; 03-12-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Charter Member
One old school remedy I've had success with is peppermint oil. Supposedly mice have a strong sense of smell and the intense odor of peppermint is too much for them to be around. So get a small bottle of peppermint oil and sprinkle it around your stove. You want it to be strong enough that you can really smell it. The downside is you'll have to smell it yourself but it's cheap, non-toxic, easy to use, and it does seem to work.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Charter Member
The faster you get rid of the mice, the less likely the range will be destroyed by them. Many years ago, a neighbor tore down a mini barn in their back yard, displacing scores of rodents. Some of them moved into our range. We didn't know this until the sounds of frantic scrabbling after we turned on the oven.

The little monsters were nesting in the fiberglass insulation after stealing kibble from the dog' bowl. The smell of baked mice and mouse pee was unbearable, so we had to pull all of the insulation out, which meant the kitchen got HOT when the oven was on.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:09 PM
First thing first:
  1. Find out where the mice are coming in and plug those entrances off - Use steel wool (mice can't chew through it) or use the foam sealant that electricians use to seal conduits and fill in the holes. Buy a cheap UV light to locate the mouse urine trails; this will lead to where they come in the house.Mice are incontinent so they dribble all the time.
  2. Clean the area thoroughly - Move the stove. Sweep and then mop the floor with the strongest disinfectant that you can stand. Be prepared to do this until you find no traces of mice (no droppings orUV detected urine traces)
  3. Open the stove and clean the entire unit thoroughly. - Apply some peppermint oil to the inside of that as well. It will dry and it will smell strong.
  4. Put down cheap snap traps (they are the best) and glue traps w/ either peanut butter or bacon fat on them - Mice are fairly stupid so they'll get caught pretty quickly. Dispose of them when you find a mouse in them.

Gas stoves have a shut off valve at the wall if they are properly connected, so they are just as easy to work on as an electric unit. You just have to make certain that you have completely shout off the gas to the stove after you have pulled it away from the wall.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaexile View Post
Put down cheap snap traps (they are the best) and glue traps w/ either peanut butter or bacon fat on them - Mice are fairly stupid so they'll get caught pretty quickly. Dispose of them when you find a mouse in them.
Please don't use glue traps - they're particularly cruel. If you have to kill things because they're inconvenient, the least you can do is make it painless.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozuit View Post
Please don't use glue traps - they're particularly cruel. If you have to kill things because they're inconvenient, the least you can do is make it painless.
It's a mouse.
It befouls your your home with feces and urine and it can also spread disease.
"Cruelty" is secondary to ridding your home of vermin.

Also, snap traps are not "painless"; they often crush the mouses neck and cause it to die rather slowly. Poison bait is usually Warfarin, an anti-coagulant which causes internal bleeding and slow death for the mouse.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Do the mice come out at night and bully you ? Never in my life have I understood how people can be frightened of, or worried by the presence of, mice. They are tiny, charming creatures.

I would live with them.

O/W hire a couple of cats.

v. Bernhardi ---- Germany and the Next War
Old 03-13-2014, 12:59 AM
We recently bought a house that had been abandoned for a few years and obviously had a mouse problem. When we turned on the oven for the first time, the most gawd-awful stench I've ever encountered filled the space. Absolutely nauseating. We pulled the stove out (this is a simple process, as others have noted) and stuck it in the yard to cool off, gagging the whole way out. I pulled it apart after it had cooled, and found that mice had nested in the oven insulation. It was a cheap range, and the problem seemed unlikely to be easily resolved, so we scrapped the range. This is the problem with mice in the house, people. Sure, they're cute, but they destroy shit.

Anyway, my story had a happy ending because when we went to Craigslist to replace the stove, I found an absolutely fabulous Thermador 6 burner range for a mere $1000. It's much better than the stinky-mouse one. So I guess my advice is to throw the stove away.

Good luck to you.

Edit: I just re-read the OP. Are you talking about a wall oven, rather than a range?

Last edited by Renee; 03-13-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:04 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Put down cheap snap traps (they are the best) and glue traps w/ either peanut butter or bacon fat on them - Mice are fairly stupid so they'll get caught pretty quickly. Dispose of them when you find a mouse in them.
Here's another tip. Buy some paper lunch bags and set the traps up inside of them. That way when you catch a mouse, you can just pick up the bag and throw it all out rather than have to handle the trap and the dead mouse.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:14 AM
Quote:
It's a mouse.
It befouls your your home with feces and urine and it can also spread disease.
As opposed to blood spatter and mouse bits, decaying corpses, and the stench of death. Big improvement.

The OP is already using live traps, a sensible and humane choice I might add.

The question seems to be how to move a stove not how to kill mice.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:32 AM
D-Con.

Seriously, the poison. Best method I've found.

Comes in a nice little package filled with kibble-like poison pellets. Mice eat it, they leave your house looking for water, they die. Easy. Only reason not to use it is if you have pets or small children that might try to eat it as well.

I had an apartment, maybe 8 years ago - it was a split-level building, my unit was half underground. I had mice constantly - I could hear them gnawing on the inside of my fiberglass tub every night. About 2 weeks with D-Con placed all over - problem solved. And I never had to pick up a nasty mouse carcass.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHat View Post
Easy. Only reason not to use it is if you have pets or small children that might try to eat it as well.
Or, if you (for some crazy reason) prefer not to introduce an incredibly harmful bio-accumulative poison into the environment.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:43 AM
I once thought mice were cute until I found out how prolific and destructive they are. Now I have a few cats and no mice.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member
I once had to replace a stove because mice got inside it and pulled out the insulation for nesting material. So I agree with the others who say you should act quickly.

You are going to have to get behind the stove to clean things up back there, but that won't be enough. You don't want the mice to move to another part of the house. You want them out of the house. You've already had several suggestions, and I can't think of anything I can add except to urge you to do something now, before the problem gets worse.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
As opposed to blood spatter and mouse bits, decaying corpses, and the stench of death. Big improvement.

The OP is already using live traps, a sensible and humane choice I might add.

The question seems to be how to move a stove not how to kill mice.
How long do you go before checking your mouse traps? If I had mice, I would check them DAILY until the problem was resolved.

Also, moving the stove to clean is only a temp solution.In the long-term, getting rid of the mouse infestation is a much higher priority.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:50 AM
Electronic mouse traps are the most humane (and non-messy; you don't have to touch or even see the dead mouse) way of dispatching the little critters. I had great luck with this when I had a mouse problem in a previous house.

I think mice are cute too, but they're also filthy and destructive, so IMO they're only cute when they are outside.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Find a plastic or metal bowl 2-3 inches deep, ideally one of those flat cookie tins. Prop it up on a dinner plate, using a breadstick or a long cracker, holding up the tin like a vertical tent pole, with enough space under the edge for mouse entry. A mouse will slip in through the space, and nosh on the breadstick, until it falls, trapping the little fellow inside. In the morning, take the whole thing a good distance from your house and release him (or her). You can catch one a day this way, until they are gone,

Last edited by jtur88; 03-13-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 AM
I can't believe everyone is missing the obvious!

Seal the windows and doors with duct tape; leave the gas on full.

Wait several hours*. Result! No more mice.

* DO NOT light up a cigarette while you wait.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Quote:
It's a mouse.
Excellent point.

Quote:
"Cruelty" is secondary to ridding your home of vermin.
It doesn't have to be. It really depends on how much of a shit you give.

Quote:
Also, snap traps are not "painless"; they often crush the mouses neck and cause it to die rather slowly. Poison bait is usually Warfarin, an anti-coagulant which causes internal bleeding and slow death for the mouse.
These would also be excellent points if I'd have mentioned those things or made any claims about them. All I said was "Please don't use glue traps". You're the first to mention poison. I certainly don't advocate that, either - it's even less responsible as it can affect other wildlife.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Charter Member
How to deal with mice behind a gas stove?

I suppose you'd first find a very small deck of playing cards.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudsucker View Post
I can't believe everyone is missing the obvious!

Seal the windows and doors with duct tape; leave the gas on full.

Wait several hours*. Result! No more mice.

* DO NOT light up a cigarette while you wait.
Pssst . . . turn off the pilots before you turn the gas on high. Still, either way you should have dead mice.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
Pssst . . . turn off the pilots before you turn the gas on high. Still, either way you should have dead mice.
I really hope no one is taking this suggestion seriously.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:59 PM
As I understood it when I had a mouse problem, "live traps" are not really humane at all. They either simply shift the problem to someone else, and/or the mouse is removed from its home base. Mice are territorial and chances are a relocated mouse will be killed or die slowly of starvation and loneliness because it's removed from its community and familiar habitat.

I think that live trapping and relocating wild animals such as mice only makes the human feel better, but actually does no favors to the mouse.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
As I understood it when I had a mouse problem, "live traps" are not really humane at all. They either simply shift the problem to someone else, and/or the mouse is removed from its home base. Mice are territorial and chances are a relocated mouse will be killed or die slowly of starvation and loneliness because it's removed from its community and familiar habitat.
The angst of a lonely mouse wouldn't be my top concern if I had a mouse infestation.

Quote:
I think that live trapping and relocating wild animals such as mice only makes the human feel better, but actually does no favors to the mouse.
It makes perfect sense for harmless outdoor animals that happen to be inconvenient for us, like squirrels and raccoons in particular circumstances, especially if they get inside buildings. I once had a raccoon get into the house through the fireplace chimney in the middle of the night and I still recall just standing there sleepily looking at the raccoon while the racoon looked at me, both of us looking equally surprised. I just opened the front door and shooed it out with a broom and went back to bed. If I had something like squirrels actually loose in the attic or wherever else, I'd use live traps for sure.

But mice and rats are vermin and in a different category, IMHO. If someone wants to use live traps that's fine, but I personally wouldn't bother. I wouldn't use anything that kills them painfully but snap traps are usually pretty much instantaneous.

Last edited by wolfpup; 03-13-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
The angst of a lonely mouse wouldn't be my top concern if I had a mouse infestation.

It makes perfect sense for harmless outdoor animals that happen to be inconvenient for us, like squirrels and raccoons in particular circumstances, especially if they get inside buildings. I once had a raccoon get into the house through the fireplace chimney in the middle of the night and I still recall just standing there sleepily looking at the raccoon while the racoon looked at me, both of us looking equally surprised. I just opened the front door and shooed it out with a broom and went back to bed. If I had something like squirrels actually loose in the attic or wherever else, I'd use live traps for sure.

But mice and rats are vermin and in a different category, IMHO. If someone wants to use live traps that's fine, but I personally wouldn't bother. I wouldn't use anything that kills them painfully but snap traps are usually pretty much instantaneous.
Yeah I was vice president of a federally-licensed wildlife rehab and animal rescue group for years and picked up a lot of tips.

One of which was: There are mammals and birds that are disruptive, harmful to other ecosystems and sometimes non-native that really won't be harmed, and other animals may benefit, from their culling.

Mice, rats and starlings come to mind.
On the other hand, poison and glue traps are, IMHO, needlessly cruel and poisoned vermin can easily kill other animals that hunt or eat them. Most wild animals are harmless, as long as they're not occupying one's home, and leaving them be is the wisest and kindest strategy.

But rodents (which are essentially incontinent and poop and pee everywhere st will) and bats and skunks and so on can affect humans quite profoundly - as disease carriers, or destroying wiring and AC units, or contributing to nasty odors and fluids if they die in your walls.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Charter Member
I have had great success with this---

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverhouse View Post
Do the mice come out at night and bully you ? Never in my life have I understood how people can be frightened of, or worried by the presence of, mice. They are tiny, charming creatures.

I would live with them.

If you ever have the experience--as I have, and others on this thread have--of mice taking up residence in your stove insulation, so that the entire kitchen reeks of mice piss and shit, rendering the oven unusable--I cannot wait to read your continuing paean to these "tiny, charming creatures."

We used kill traps to kill them, but one moved to underneath the refrigerator. Our cat finally got that one.

Our landlord paid someone to re-insulate the stove and douse it with some kind of intense cleaner, which also smelled horrible for a couple days, but when it was done we could cook in our kitchen again. I can't believe it was much cheaper than buying a cheapie replacement over, but that's what they did.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Quote:

I would live with them.

A mouse can chew through your wiring and cost you hundreds of dollars in electrical repairs. Or, if you are unfortunate, they can be electrocuted and their flaming remains will start a fire that might destroy your dwelling or kill you or a loved one. If they bite your children or a friend who they have over, this could cost hundreds or thousands in medical and legal bills (or more, if the if mouse is a banta virus carrier). Also your cat (like my SO's) may be old and unable to successfully hunt mice. Or they may be receiving more than enough food from you to make hunting mice unappealing.

Sorry, but mice are filthy animals and when they infest your home, they do far more harm than possible good.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by araminty View Post
Or, if you (for some crazy reason) prefer not to introduce an incredibly harmful bio-accumulative poison into the environment.
Honestly didn't know that. Thanks for the info, if I get mice again I'll look into something else.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Quote:

I would live with them.

cats like to play with their food. Spring traps will usually snap their spine almost cutting them in half in a merciful death.

Mice like to hug the wall so get a box like a soda 12-pack and put it in line with the wall next to the stove. Put a standard spring trap in it with peanut butter.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Quote:
That depends entirely on what you do with the mice once trapped. If you just walk outside in a residential neighborhood and release them they will become someone else's problem. If you take them out to a rural area with few houses and lots of woods and fields they will probably live, and die, outdoors.

For reference the pertinent quote from that link is:
Quote:
Live Trapping
Keep in mind a mouse who comes from generations of mice who have been born and only lived indoors isn’t likely to do well outdoors. There is every reason to believe that the chances that a live-trapped indoor mouse will survive outdoors are very low.
There is also every reason to believe a natural born wild mouse will not survive long outdoors. It's still not the zero percent chance of killing it outright, nor is it any less humane than letting a spider, squirrel, etc. go free instead of killing it despite it having a worse chance of survival outdoors than inside.

I guess the title of the OP is ambiguous since 99% of the replies are about ways to trap or kill mice but that isn't even the issue at hand anyway. They have already been using live traps. The question is about getting the remaining stink out of an apparently unmovable oven.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Yea I endorse having cats; if you think cats are cruel you should spend a few hours in a mouse trap not dead but in intense pain, or consume some of those poisons that kill you slowly enough that you don't die in an inopportune place.

The real advantage of cats is the mice detect their presence and leave -- at least those with any sense do. And cats add other benefits.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Welcome to the Dope, Frank Merton. I'm a real cat lover myself.

Some cats are great mousers, some are not. Mice aren't really smart, either. Back when I lived in a place with mice, I figured it out because I found mice poop in the cat dish. Which was about 4 feet from the litter box and about 6 feet from the foot of the bed where the cats slept.

They do have many other benefits, though
Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
Mice aren't really smart, either. Back when I lived in a place with mice, I figured it out because I found mice poop in the cat dish. Which was about 4 feet from the litter box and about 6 feet from the foot of the bed where the cats slept.
Toxoplasma gondii's gotta make a living too.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:32 AM

I knew that the life cycle for liver flukes in cows includes ants that climb grass so they will be eaten, but to think that mammals can also be programed like that. Pretty scary.

If you will excuse me, I'll just go over there and hide in the closet.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
cats like to play with their food. Spring traps will usually snap their spine almost cutting them in half in a merciful death.

Mice like to hug the wall so get a box like a soda 12-pack and put it in line with the wall next to the stove. Put a standard spring trap in it with peanut butter.
put the snap trap perpendicular with the trigger towards the wall. they will then set it off from either direction either feeding or in transit.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:10 AM
First of all, don't worry about causing a mouse pain. Its a mouse. Secondly, every house has a mouse on occasion. I don't care who you are or where you live. Third, bait and set traps. If you're scared of traps then buy sticky traps and put a dab of peanut butter or cheese in the middle. Lastly, the pee smell can be cleaned with a bleach water solution. If ya wanna prevent the problem in the future, call an externinator. However, you'll still have an occasional mouse. Especially when it gets real cold out. Don't freak out. Its just a little animal that's trying to find a nice warm spot. Most mice don't carry diseases. Humans carry more diseases than mice!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
Yea I endorse having cats; if you think cats are cruel you should spend a few hours in a mouse trap not dead but in intense pain, or consume some of those poisons that kill you slowly enough that you don't die in an inopportune place.

The real advantage of cats is the mice detect their presence and leave -- at least those with any sense do. And cats add other benefits.
I've killed 4 mice over the years with a basic trap. They were assuredly dead on impact. the springs are strong enough to crush their skulls or sever their spinal cords and crush internal organs.

I've had cats. Mice don't appear to be smart enough to avoid them. Or dogs for that matter.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Honestly didn't know that. Thanks for the info, if I get mice again I'll look into something else.
Welcome Hooray! I made a difference!
Old 03-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Charter Member
In January, my mother noticed mice in the house. So my brother set out live traps so he could release them unharmed outside. It occurred to me that releasing mice outside in the middle of a bitterly cold New England winter was probably not a kindness and that it was probably more humane just to use poisons.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
It occurred to me that releasing mice outside in the middle of a bitterly cold New England winter was probably not a kindness and that it was probably more humane just to use poisons.
Humane to the mice? What about the predators that eat the poisoned mice? I will mention again that many rodenticides are bioaccumulative (same link as in earlier post) and can have devastating consequences up the food chain.

Snap traps, people. Seal up your house and set snap traps.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Charter Member
I was talking about poisoning the mice in the house, or using snap traps, or whatever method would mean they'd die, rather than freeze to death outside. (To which she replied, "Stop making me feel guilty.")
Old 03-16-2014, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by araminty View Post
Welcome Hooray! I made a difference!
Hey now, I've been a Doper for nearly as long as you.

Good info though, I hadn't thought about how rodent poisons build up in predator populations.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Quote:
In January, my mother noticed mice in the house. So my brother set out live traps so he could release them unharmed outside. It occurred to me that releasing mice outside in the middle of a bitterly cold New England winter was probably not a kindness and that it was probably more humane just to use poisons.
Where do you think the mice spent the winter before there were cozy houses in New England?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Charter Member
Buried in nests that they made before the ground was covered in two-three feet of snow? My point was and is that the newly released mice will probably freeze before they're able to make themselves a nest.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Buried in nests that they made before the ground was covered in two-three feet of snow? My point was and is that the newly released mice will probably freeze before they're able to make themselves a nest.
They are better equipped than you might think to deal with the forces of nature. Letting them out literally in the freezing snow with no preparations whatsoever probably won't go well for them, granted, but at that point it is between them and nature. Killing them outright is purely between you and them. And if one wanted to be extra humane they could even leave some food and dig a few burrows in the snow filled with leaves or rags.

All that aside, freezing to death is one of the least painful ways to go out of any mentioned so far in the thread.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Hey now, I've been a Doper for nearly as long as you.
I meant YOU'RE welcome
Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 PM
You can't just live-trap a mouse and let it loose in your yard. It knows how to get back in, it's done it before. You need to release it sufficiently far away from your residence or you're just banging your head against the wall.