Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 05-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 831
Is adult tonsillectomy really that bad?

My sister got her tonsils taken out when she was 19 and said it was absolutely horrible. I always figured it wasn't a big deal prior to that, but I've read other anecdotal accounts and apparently it's quite an extreme ordeal! I felt terrible for her. I've heard people say it was worse than kidney stones, childbirth and other things that are stereotypically the absolute worst pains you can experience.

Do you think tonsil removal recovery is worse than having open heart surgery, brain surgery, a C-section, an amputated leg and so on?

Last edited by protoboard; 05-10-2014 at 04:09 PM.
#2
Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8,328
I had my tonsils out when I was 30.

It hurts but it's not that horrible. My C-section hurt much worse.
I heard all the horror stories. I had mine out the day before Thanksgiving, and went home the next day. That sucked because I couldn't eat. I had half a slice of bread soaked in gravy at one house and a spoonful of mashed potatoes at another.

I was back to work the following Tuesday, only because I had to go to the doctor to get a release on Monday. If I had had sick leave I'd probably had taken off a few more days.
I lived on soft foods at first. Then I wanted scratchy potato chips because the scabs in the back of my throat itched.

What really hurt was bending over or lifting things. It felt like my throat was being ripped out.

I have heard of people taking as long as 6 weeks off work. I have no idea why unless they were doing hard physical labor or if they had a job that required a lot of talking. I think it was around day 10 after the surgery that I had to take it easy because the scabs were coming off and I could have hemorrhaged.

I knew another woman who had hers out at 19. She actually felt better and was eating shorty afterwards because her throat hurt less than it had before.

It hurt to talk, it hurt to eat, otherwise I was fine.

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 05-10-2014 at 06:47 PM.
#3
Old 05-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,542
I recovered from my c-section much faster, and found it less painful. Tonsillectomies are painful, because of the number of nerve endings in your throat, and because the back of your tongue swells. The first two days were horrific. The rest of that week was bad, but it got better every day. My doctor for some reason gave me pain pills instead of liquid. I crushed them, and took them with pudding, after spraying anesthetic on my throat.

I am very glad I had it done, though. It fixed the problem it was supposed to fix, and on top of that, I get fewer colds, and the ones I do get are shorter duration.

I got adenoids out at the same time. It probably made recovery harder, but better to have both at once, than separate recoveries.
#4
Old 05-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,056
31 flavors that you can appreciate more.
#5
Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The end of the tunnel
Posts: 3,425
Mine were taken out when I was 34. It was the best three weeks ever; flat on my back, remote in one hand and book in the other, and pain meds in easy reach.

The surgery wasn't bad. The day after wasn't bad. The second day was EXCRUCIATING, because that's when the associated ear pain kicked in. Nothing to do but suffer through that. On day four the doc's office called to check on me, and just as my then-husband was telling them I was doing all right, I threw up all over the place. THAT hurt.

They were worried about me because I was a redhead (increased chance of bleeding) adult (increased chance of complications) working at a very physically active job. I was originally given two weeks off, but when I still couldn't talk at the end of week two (it didn't hurt, per se- though don't get me wrong, it was uncomfortable- I just couldn't produce any sound) the doc said another week would be a good idea. I wasn't going to argue.

The itching of the scabs was really tough to deal with; you can't have any dairy products, and you can't have anything too hot or too cold, so it was difficult finding something to relieve the itchiness.
#6
Old 05-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,542
I didn't have any restrictions on dairy, and Ensure, served over ice, was my best friend. That's all I could eat, plus pudding and popsicles, for a couples of days. I added babyfood applesauce and sweet potatoes on day three. Pureed, plus very low acid. I couldn't tolerate regular applesauce-- it stung.

I was pretty much eating a normal diet by the end of two weeks, but it was a whole month before I could have citrus fruits or juice.
#7
Old 05-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
Mine were taken out when I was 34. It was the best three weeks ever; flat on my back, remote in one hand and book in the other, and pain meds in easy reach.

The surgery wasn't bad. The day after wasn't bad. The second day was EXCRUCIATING, because that's when the associated ear pain kicked in. Nothing to do but suffer through that. On day four the doc's office called to check on me, and just as my then-husband was telling them I was doing all right, I threw up all over the place. THAT hurt.

They were worried about me because I was a redhead (increased chance of bleeding) adult (increased chance of complications) working at a very physically active job. I was originally given two weeks off, but when I still couldn't talk at the end of week two (it didn't hurt, per se- though don't get me wrong, it was uncomfortable- I just couldn't produce any sound) the doc said another week would be a good idea. I wasn't going to argue.

The itching of the scabs was really tough to deal with; you can't have any dairy products, and you can't have anything too hot or too cold, so it was difficult finding something to relieve the itchiness.

Would you say the pain and discomfort is comparable to severe pneumonia? I had that 2 years ago and I threw up every day, couldn't keep any food down and there was lots of chest and throat pain from the coughing and infection.
#8
Old 05-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 6,728
Had mine out when I was 33. Took the full three weeks my doctor warned me about to recover. First week wasn't so bad - took my pain meds, ate a little soft food, watched tv, and slept. Second week was gruesome, as that's when the scabs started to come off, and all of a sudden everything in the center of my head was throbbingly sensitive. The pain meds weren't quite enough. I kept ice bags on my neck, but it can't really reach the spots where the tonsils used to be. Third week was better.

Totally worth it, by the way. I've had maybe one sinus infection and no ear infections since, and I used to alternate between them every six months. My allergies cleared up for at least five years, though they're back now. The doc who took them out said that they'd clearly been infected multiple times.
#9
Old 05-11-2014, 12:49 AM
BANNED
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain View Ca.
Posts: 3,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahirrnee View Post
I had my tonsils out when I was 30.

It hurts but it's not that horrible. My C-section hurt much worse.
Jeepers Creepers. All Sahirrnee needs is a few kidney stones thrown in for the trifecta.
#10
Old 05-11-2014, 06:08 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
Jeepers Creepers. All Sahirrnee needs is a few kidney stones thrown in for the trifecta.
No thank you.
I'll pass on those please.
#11
Old 05-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
Jeepers Creepers. All Sahirrnee needs is a few kidney stones thrown in for the trifecta.
C-Sections are not notoriously painful. I mean, they aren't fun, but they are about the same as any other moderately invasive surgical procedure. It's childbirth that is notoriously painful. I think you are extrapolating that because a C-section is a dramatic form of childbirth, it is the most dramatically painful type. This is not at all true.
#12
Old 05-11-2014, 07:14 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 10,513
Yeah, C-section was not too bad in the scheme of things, although I didn't have any help, so mine took forever to heal.

I was early 20's when I had my tonsils out. It was a complete nightmare. I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, couldn't swallow the pain pills and couldn't stop throwing up, which took everything down to square one again every time. It was three weeks of total pain. If you are considering one, please get yourself some Ensure and liquid vitamins. It was when a friend brought me those that I really started to heal. After that it got a little bit better each day, until I was finally back to normal after about eight weeks. Nothing was getting any better until I started to get some nutrition. Opening my throat properly to sing took almost two years.

Still ranks far below kidney stones, broken foot, ulceric colitis and (the very worst) Gall stones.
#13
Old 05-11-2014, 10:52 AM
MLS MLS is offline
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,843
Having mine out when I was 14 was traumatic. I swear the local anesthetic didn't work properly, but no one believed me. It also didn't help that nobody prepared me for what it was going to be like.

That said, I've had toothaches that were far worse. Childbirth was not especially painful for me.

From what I've observed of others with kidney or gall bladder stones, those are way more painful.
#14
Old 05-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
Having mine out when I was 14 was traumatic. I swear the local anesthetic didn't work properly, but no one believed me. It also didn't help that nobody prepared me for what it was going to be like.

That said, I've had toothaches that were far worse. Childbirth was not especially painful for me.

From what I've observed of others with kidney or gall bladder stones, those are way more painful.
Childbirth seems pretty variable. I guess in a way it's kind of like sex itself ... if you're relaxed and stuff your body is gonna handle it pretty well, but if you're not prepped it can be absolutely awful and stuff down there gets torn.

I think C-sections are vastly underrated though. I can't say how painful they are, and being male I'll never know but I've seen videos of them and they're so gruesome! They're basically disemboweling you and putting you back together! If I were a woman I think I'd still rather do it the normal way.
#15
Old 05-12-2014, 04:48 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by protoboard View Post
Childbirth seems pretty variable. I guess in a way it's kind of like sex itself ... if you're relaxed and stuff your body is gonna handle it pretty well, but if you're not prepped it can be absolutely awful and stuff down there gets torn.

I think C-sections are vastly underrated though. I can't say how painful they are, and being male I'll never know but I've seen videos of them and they're so gruesome! They're basically disemboweling you and putting you back together! If I were a woman I think I'd still rather do it the normal way.
No, they aren't. The intestines are way, way north of the uterus and are not disturbed at all. The abdominal wall is so stretched that they don't have to cut through the muscle. I think I'd rather have a C-section than any other non-laproscopic abdominal surgery.
#16
Old 05-12-2014, 05:59 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
C-Sections are not notoriously painful. I mean, they aren't fun, but they are about the same as any other moderately invasive surgical procedure. It's childbirth that is notoriously painful. I think you are extrapolating that because a C-section is a dramatic form of childbirth, it is the most dramatically painful type. This is not at all true.
I had 27 hours of labor, 3 hours of pushing, a forceps attempt (two different types of forceps), and finally a c-section.

I had an epidural for most of labor, or I think I would have been to exhausted to push-- as it was, I'd been awake for 27 hours, and had nothing to eat other than the dextrose, or whatever the sugar was in the IV. They gave me a popsicle, but it made me puke. The pain of the early labor was bad enough. I don't want to know what full-on labor without medication was like.

Pushing wasn't fun, and the baby started to crown, which was pretty painful, as was the forceps insertion. They couldn't get the epidural started in time, so I was out for the c-section. I was never in that much pain afterwards, although I had medication for it, of course, but the point was that it worked. The shot of morphine I had after the tonsillectomy barely touched the pain.
#17
Old 05-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Toon Town
Posts: 10,572
I was talking to a guy at work who is probably in his mid-40's. He said it was horrible. Much like phouka's experience. First day was okay, second day hurt horribly, but once he was through that, he said, well, that wasn't too bad, I'm through the worst. Then by the end of the first week, it was just hideously painful.

I'm 52 and still have my tonsils.

StG
#18
Old 05-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 977
I had mine out at 29 and it was pretty horrible. I got a prescription for vicodin and it really didn't seem to help much... but it did take the edge off just enough that I could sleep (sitting up!) for a couple hours at a time.

I thought the "suggested" recovery period of 2 weeks seemed long but I assure you that it absolutely took that long for me to feel good enough to return to work. And even after 2 weeks, the first meal of solid food was ... uh ... not exactly pleasant.

BUT! Of course it was all worth it. I have had barely a sore throat in the decade since, whereas I used to get them at least once a month.
#19
Old 05-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lenni Lenape Land
Posts: 5,662
Are they really easier on kids, or do kids just deal with pain better?
#20
Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
Are they really easier on kids, or do kids just deal with pain better?
I think kids just heal faster. I remember when I broke my foot as a kid, it didn't hurt that much after the first couple of hours. I think as an adult it would be harder.
#21
Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 6,175
This was a terrible experience for me. However, I have never had a sore throat or cold since, so it was most definitely worth it.

My tonsils were a mess, and after fighting with my HMO for years, I finally got a new insurance plan and a new doctor, and out they came.

HMO's suck.

Not nearly as painful as a kidney stone, but hey. Nothing is.
#22
Old 05-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,775
Absolutely horrific pain. I think I was about 38 or 39.

It went on for about two weeks. It didn't start until the third day. EVERY time I swallowed, it was the worse pain I'd ever experienced. Eating was not only pleasureless, it hurt, especially if it was something acidic. I don't like Vicodin, so I basically did it without pain meds.

I also had a deviated septum fixed at the same time. That didn't hurt even slightly, but it made breathing really uncomfortable, so I was very claustrophobic at night.

Still, I have no regrets and it's obviously survivable I've never had a C-section and I doubt I ever will, what with the penis and all that.

The updside was losing 15 pounds. And I rarely have sore throats any more. (I was born with a sore throat.)
#23
Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,556
It sucked.

After the frist few days I got bad referred pain in the right side of my jaw and could barely eat anything. Two weeks off work for me too and I needed all of it.

Tips: drink - lots & lots. Rent a humidifier for the room you sleep in.

After about 10 years, it looks like my left tonsil has grown back so I still get a sore throat occasionally but it's not as often as I used to.
#24
Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs With Scissors View Post
The updside was losing 15 pounds.
Ha, same here, but those 15 pounds found me pretty quickly afterwards
#25
Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Left of central PA
Posts: 728
But...but...you can have all the ice cream in the world you can eat!

Last edited by NotherYinzer; 05-14-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Match the quote
#26
Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 20
Did it four months ago. Stayed four days in the hospital, but in the west its usually shorter I think. Couldn't speak for 2 days and couldn't eat solid food for a week. The pain was acute but with the morphine they gave me it was not so bad, only swallowing really hurt but I think it's no more painful than having several teeth extracted for example.

The weird thing, like the previous poster, is that after a few days the throat was ok but the upper part of my jaw hurt really bad. The doctor told me it may have be caused by the fact that they maintained my mouth open during the operation, but I think it may also be caused by the fact that the pain makes you contract you jaw for extended period of times.

Last edited by LouisMasure; 05-14-2014 at 02:06 PM.
#27
Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1
tonsillectomy pain

I am a 38 year old man and I underwent a tonsillectomy 5 days ago. Getting sleep has been a major issue for me. Since I came off the table at the hospital, I have only slept between 1 to 3 hours at a time. Then I awake in pain. I then take " 2 " Hydroco/Acetamin 7.5-325 Mg pills. After around an hour the pain medication beings to kick in enough for me to go back and sleep for that 1 to 3 hours. I have been on that cycle for that last 5 days, and I'm running out of pills!

The Down sides

#1. lack of rest

#2. Eating is like trying to swallow glass or razors!

#3. Scabs are starting to come off then have been getting stuck in my throat causing me to gag and hack until they come out

#4. The pain is terrible

Things that I have found that help

#1. Drinking Ice cold water slowly

#2. Gargling warm salt water has helped some


This has been by far!
One of the worst experiences I have ever had in life. To anyone that is about to undergo this I wish you more luck than I have had.
#28
Old 02-23-2015, 12:10 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 14,840
One hopes that the earlier posters in this thread have recovered by now.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: newfoundland lab snort diphenhydramine 8ball rack bandwidth frequency alcohol thins blood scantron alternative yours etc san francisco cocksucker body puffs subliminal seizures lasagna nutmeg blue eyed monkeys how much does a 55 gallon fish tank weigh why does woody have a holster fisher price xylophone song book ncis cast abby brother buy gold at pawn shop lincoln car commercial jazz song how to use one crutch after knee surgery why do chefs wear big hats bread mixes for bread maker quit smoking hard to breathe why can't you use drano in a toilet justin wilson shrimp jambalaya recipe