Old 05-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Bumper sticker meaning

Couldn't google it so I'm asking here. There are a couple of cars in town with this bumper sticker. What's the meaning of the square and circle?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Charter Member
The square inside the circle is the universal symbol on MP3 players, DVD players, and other devices for "stop". So, Stop Hatin'. I guess it's a generic humanitarian message. If you Google "Stop Hatin' Bumper stickers" you will get lots of versions with the words spelled out, as well as variations for specifically what you're supposed to stop hatin'.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Oh. I thought they just preferred Phillips heads.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:07 AM
They really hate old Yuan coins.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
The square inside the circle is the universal symbol on MP3 players, DVD players, and other devices for "stop". So, Stop Hatin'. I guess it's a generic humanitarian message. If you Google "Stop Hatin' Bumper stickers" you will get lots of versions with the words spelled out, as well as variations for specifically what you're supposed to stop hatin'.

Obvious now. Thanks.

Oh, and yeah, fuck Yuan coins!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
Oh, and yeah, fuck Yuan coins!
Round pecker in a square hole? Are you sure?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:55 PM
born to be shunned
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyJack View Post
They really hate old Yuan coins.

Or all that Fukian cash.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:57 PM
So is there supposed to be some understood thing we are to "stop hatin"? If not, that is one of the most non committal bumper stickers ever.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:00 PM
BANNED
you shouldn't hate anything
Old 05-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Appropriate.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Not completely universal. The stop symbol for my iPod (iPhone) is two vertical lines like these: ||

But I do understand the meaning of the bumper sticker.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Two vertical lines is for Pause, not Stop.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post
Wait, you mean I can't hate Hitler? Or idiots that mindlessly compare people to Hitler? Waste of a perfectly useful emotion if you ask me.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm glad a bumper sticker has so much power that anyone seeing it will stop hating. I'll get one printed that says "Give me money."
Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjeff View Post
Two vertical lines is for Pause, not Stop.
It is the only symbol on my iPhone. That's what I touch to stop playing it. I don't have a circled square. I have two left arrows to go back, a right facing arrow for play, and two right arrows to go forward. When it's playing, the Play arrow is replaced by two vertical lines. When I touch that button, the music stops.

Last edited by cochrane; 05-13-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
It is the only symbol on my iPhone. That's what I touch to stop playing it. I don't have a circled square. I have two left arrows to go back, a right facing arrow for play, and two right arrows to go forward. When it's playing, the Play arrow is replaced by two vertical lines. When I touch that button, the music stops.
This is pretty much how the various music players work on my android phone as well.

The separate stop and pause button go way back. In the olden days of cassette tape players the stop button would pull the sensing head back from the tape and stop the motor. The pause button would merely stop the motor but leave the head pressed against the tape. I guess people notice that with digital media stop and pause were basically the same thing and got rid of stop.

Maybe in the not to distant future we will only pause hating.

Last edited by gazpacho; 05-13-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 PM
I have no screwdriver nor bit for these screws:
http://cid.ca/images/Robertson_S...AD_LO-ROOT.jpg
I HATE THEM.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
I HATE THEM.
No screw them . . . but wait, you can't. Don't you just hate that?
Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
I HATE THEM.
Well get yourself the screwdrivers or bits you need. They are the business. Robertsons rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm View Post
I'm glad a bumper sticker has so much power that anyone seeing it will stop hating. I'll get one printed that says "Give me money."
No one ever said they work. They just make the owner feel good for trying.

Last edited by Princhester; 05-14-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post
I hate that philosophy.