Old 07-23-2014, 02:07 PM
I need help with an evil leg sunburn

I'm moving a few states away and I'm staying with a friend for a few days. We went kayaking and apparently didn't apply our sunscreen well enough, we have really bad burns. I have to drive today and move in tomorrow, but my burn is all over my legs and it hurts to move my foot (meaning: push the gas pedal), and standing up hurts like hell. Sometimes I can't bear it and have to sit right back down. It's okay if I get to walking, though I have a little limp, but if I stand still it hurts like hell.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Aloe vera gel.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:46 PM
A good strong analgesic can't hurt.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I swear by Desitin Creamy for sunburn. Now it's called "Rapid Relief Cream" - that's the only one of the 3 kinds of Desitin that has Aloe in it. It is for diaper rash and you buy it in the baby section.

It helps me every time with the pain (as does Aleve and PLENTY OF WATER), and I feel like it helps it heal more quickly.

I never get sunburn so bad I can't move, so I just slather it on once a day, before bed. IMHO if nothing else it would help you with a nice layer of goo between your clothes and your skin. And the aloe would be soothing at the same time.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:55 PM
I can sympathize -- I was canoeing on vacation last week, and picked up a pretty good sunburn on my legs. Interestingly, we take the canoe out every weekend (25 separate paddles last year!) but, generally, we are on the water before 7 and off by 9, before the power boats show up. On vacation, we were out at the noon hour, and I got fried!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Aloe gel, keep it in the fridge for extra effectiveness. It can be brutal going on cold, but really soothing once you're over the shock of the cold!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Take a damp washcloth, squirt some "After Sun" or cooling aloe vera gel on it and squeeze to distribute it throughout the washcloth. Put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. Make a few of them, and toss them in a cooler with some ice for on the go.

Wrap it around the burned foot while driving. The aloe will soothe and the cold will numb the pain and itch, at least temporarily.

I can sympathize. I burn easily, and earlier this summer I burned the tops of my feet. (I slathered on the sunblock but apparently it either wore off or I missed a spot.) They were so painful that I couldn't wear shoes for a week.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Vitamin E
You may have to buy it in capsules. If so, separate the capsules and pour it on the area.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Original Barbasol brand shaving cream. Smooth it on, let it sit for 20 minutes or so and then rinse it off with cool water. I have no idea why it works so well, or why Barbasol works and others don't, or why Barbasol Original works and other Barbasol varieties don't. But it's an old First Aid trick and it never fails.

You can do aloe after the Barbasol if you like, but you probably won't need to.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipGnosis View Post
Vitamin E
You may have to buy it in capsules. If so, separate the capsules and pour it on the area.
That's for after to prevent scarring or damage. During the painful period, Aloe Vera, as Gary T and other have said.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the help guys. All that helped, but it turns out the reason it was so painful was that both shin sunburns got infected. I'm swimming in antibiotics now. I got a bit concerned when it was only barely better after a week and the rest of my sunburns were 95% healed so I went to urgent care.

Last edited by Jragon; 07-29-2014 at 02:15 AM.