Old 08-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Motorcyclists - what do you do with your helmets?

Say you take your motorcycle somewhere like the store or a fair. You get off the bike. Take off your helmet. Do you now have to carry it with you or is there some way to secure it to the bike? Will it fit in those cargo container things? I presume you can lock them. It seems kind of awkward to carry it everywhere.

(If you don't wear a helmet I don't even want to hear about it. You is loco.)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Some motorcycles have built-in helmet locks that grab the chin-strap's D-ring. There are also accessories you can buy for securing a helmet to a bike.

Me? For stops during day rides, I just set the helmet on the saddle, no lock. If it's windy, I set it on the ground next to the sidestand. GPS stays on the bike, and the sidecases are unlocked. This works fine for stores, gas stations, restaurants, and short hikes (< 30 minutes) at state/national parks.

If I'm overnighting at a hotel, the cases get locked, and the helmet/GPS are in the room with me.

If I was going some place like the state fair, I wouldn't be taking the bike; I wear too much riding gear to be comfortable walking around all day like that.

Some of the people I ride with bring their helmets into restaurants with them, but yes, that looks like a giant pain in the ass.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Uk based Goldwing driver. It's the law to wear a helmet over here.

If the top box is empty I will put the lid(s) in there.

If I can't lock it in the bike or lock it to the bike, I will take it with me. The Goldwing has helmet holders under the top box that are pretty good.

If I'm going into a supermarket, I have used my lid as a shopping basket.

If I'm at work, it has lived under my desk.

I prefer not to have to carry it around with me, but I would rather not leave it on the bike for fear that it gets damaged. The last time I bought one it cost over £300 so I would rather look after it.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Charter Member
I put it down the front of my trousers. You should see the looks I get!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
My bike has a hook thing which locks, but it's pretty lame, and it wouldn't be too hard to steal my helmet. I usually carry it with me, and stuff my gloves inside and set it out of the way somewhere. If it's a pretty safe area, I will lock it to the bike, but that is rare.

Even if you helmet doesn't get swiped, people will something throw trash in it, spit in it, or dump part of a soda or something in it. It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard of it happening.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I put it down the front of my trousers. You should see the looks I get!
Ah, it's a German helmet.

We were on vacation several weeks back and I already felt pretty good about the place but when I saw a motorcycle helmet just sitting on the ground next to a parked bike in the lot that lay there undisturbed for three days in a row, well, I felt even better still.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:04 PM
I hook the d ring onto the bike's helmet lock. The worst thing is, that if rains, the helmet is upside down and collects water. Honda used to have bikes where the seat was hinged, and there was a peg to put the d ring over. Lock the seat, and the helmet was secure. On my '03 VFR, they have a similar arrangement, but they expect you to completely remove the seat every time you lock the helmet. PIA!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
Say you take your motorcycle somewhere like the store or a fair. You get off the bike. Take off your helmet. Do you now have to carry it with you or is there some way to secure it to the bike? Will it fit in those cargo container things? I presume you can lock them. It seems kind of awkward to carry it everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Some motorcycles have built-in helmet locks that grab the chin-strap's D-ring.
Don't most bikes have a rudimentary built-in helmet lock? Either a small locking clip on the side or a hook under the (locking) seat?
Old 08-06-2014, 02:28 PM
I don't mind carrying it with me if I'm going to be seated in a restaurant, but if I'm going to be doing any amount of walking, I use a bike lock on a cable. The cable goes through the headstock, and through the open face part of my helmet. This allows me to perch the helmet between the headstock and the tank, upright with the visor 95% closed.

This rain is never going to get in, the helmet isn't resting up against a dirty chain or hot exhaust (like it would with my d-ring locks), and it feels more secure to me that the flimsy D-ring lock.

Just bought a Shoei worth about 20% of the value of my bike, so I have a vested interest in the topic!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilez View Post
Don't most bikes have a rudimentary built-in helmet lock? Either a small locking clip on the side or a hook under the (locking) seat?
Many do, but it wouldn't be so hard to just cut through the chin strap. When I rode I carried it with me and stuffed my gloves inside.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:57 PM
I've been wondering, thank you! It is finally on my five year plan to buy my own bike. I have wanted one since I was 15. I never thought about logistics until recently.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Quote:
I've been wondering, thank you! It is finally on my five year plan to buy my own bike. I have wanted one since I was 15. I never thought about logistics until recently.
Have safe fun!

I always took my lid with me because they're not merely expensive but also, if it got stolen I'd be stuck and have to take the bus home. Not legal in the UK to ride without one, unless you're a male Sikh.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Charter Member
I have a bicycle lock that I carry on the bike. I can usually put my suit/jacket in one of the bags along with my boots and then I run the lock through the helmet and along one of the hand bars. If I don't have the bags on I can also run the lock through the suit.

Last bike I had I had a large top case that could hold two helmets with ease. There's usually enough places in restaurants and the like to put a helmet that I don't mind taking it with me.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkhead View Post
Have safe fun!

I always took my lid with me because they're not merely expensive but also, if it got stolen I'd be stuck and have to take the bus home. Not legal in the UK to ride without one, unless you're a male Sikh.
Thank you! I have always known (generally) what I want - what they term a crotch rocket. I want a bike that looks like its moving even when it is standing still. No Harleys for me!

The other week one of our families came in and mentioned that quite often they don't wear their helmets when they bike. She must have seen the involuntary look of horror on my face, because she immediately redacted it to "sometimes". These people have a special needs child! The child needs them be around for a long time yet.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Una Persson View Post
Even if you helmet doesn't get swiped, people will something throw trash in it, spit in it, or dump part of a soda or something in it. It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard of it happening.
Typical teen-age antics. Seen/heard about it happening. Also sold a lot of helmets to people who came out of the movies to find a cut strap attached to the helmet lock.

Depending on where I stop (if I stop!), I'll either leave it on, or carry it with me. Here is why: It cost around $600 and I put my head in it, and expect it to save my life! If I'm somewhere "safe" or am using one of the off-road helmets, I'll sometime hang it off the mirror or bar end (depending on the bike). Pretty sure no one is desperate enough to steal a filthy, sweaty dirt bike helmet.

I never leave it on the seat (seen countless of them roll/fall off) or put it on the ground. That's where dirty feet are! That's where animals pee!

And I don't drink water, either, 'cause fish fuck in it.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:16 PM
I usually just lock it either to my handlebars or to the lock near the saddlebags. I keep intending to get a chain so I can also lock up my jacket.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Charter Member
My bike has a helmet lock but the saddlebags are over it and it's a HUGE PITA to get at it.
Helmets have a snap that you attach the end of the chinstrap to so the end doesn't flap around (only took me a few rides to figure out what that was for). Not exactly the same, but picture how a football player snaps his chin strap on.
Anyways, on my old helmet, I could just snap the strap to that (ignoring the D-Ring) and carry it. On my new, more expensive helmet, the snap isn't very strong and it'll let loose. So now I just set it my right side mirror and go about by business.

The first time it gets stolen or tampered with I'll invest in better helmet lock that I can mount somewhere else on the bike, but for now this has been working pretty well.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:28 PM
I would run a cable lock through the helmet (full-face helmet) and through an arm of my Aerostich jacket (and pants, if I was wearing them that day).

The nice thing about a riding outfit like an Aerostitch is that you can wear a t-shirt and jeans or shorts under it, take it all off, lock it up, and go do whatever you wanted without having to wear hot, heavy stuff or carry it.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
My spousal unit has a round PVC storage unit that sits on the second seat (I don't ride - I hate to ride) and his helmet fits in there. It doesn't lock, but he's never had anyone mess with it.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:40 PM
I just hang mine on the passenger foot peg visor side down. It's reasonably shaded, it looks like it's attached to an underseat lock, and it doesn't take on water in the rain. I could lift the seat and put my d-ring through a little hook which Yamaha is very careful not to call a helmet lock, but I have never taken the time to do so.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:09 PM
I ride a sport-bike. Sometimes I lock it under my pillion seat, sometimes I carry it in with me. If I'm on a group ride, I usually just place it on the ground next to my bike or nestle it in-between the handlebars. Nobody is going to touch a helmet among a bunch of parked bikes.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:26 PM
I just hang my vest over the headlight & bars, Not even teenagers have been stupid nuff to mess with anything. < VEG >
Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 PM
I keep a thin cable lock on the bike at all times, and lock my helmet to the sissy bar when I want to leave it behind.

If I'm just ducking inside some place quick (and in a reasonably safe location) I don't bother with the lock, and just put it on a mirror.

To some extent one can leverage the bad reputation of motorcyclists -- is it worth the risk of snagging a helmet if you think the owner will kick the shit out of you if you get caught?
Old 08-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post

To some extent one can leverage the bad reputation of motorcyclists -- is it worth the risk of snagging a helmet if you think the owner will kick the shit out of you if you get caught?
Heh, yeah, I used to do this. I'm short and very unthreatening, but people think twice about fucking with bikers. Even harmless ones.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkhead View Post
Heh, yeah, I used to do this. I'm short and very unthreatening, but people think twice about fucking with bikers. Even harmless ones.
That's what I figure...who messes with motorcycles?

OTOH, last summer I was asking my friend why there was a foot print on the passenger seat of his Harley (big bad ElectraGlide or Ultra Classic). He said that it was in a parking lot and some kid or teen or something was trying to sit on it and didn't quite swing their foot over it. Luckily he's nice enough that he just shooed them away, but he's intimidating enough (looking) that I'm sure the kid wasn't happy to see him walking over and have his foot stuck half way over the bike.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Mine has a lock next to the seat. But the saddlebags block it so the helmet usually goes into the saddlebag or sometimes I'll just take it in with me if I'm at a store or restaurant.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 AM
I store it under the seat, room enough for 2.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 AM
If not in my top case, I use a carabiner to lock it to one of the luggage rack handles on my bike.

http://amazon.com/HELMETLOK-RUBB.../dp/B007P53BM2

Looks like this on my bike:

parked at the White House (sub shop)
Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 AM
Whatcha gonna do?
Charter Member
I take mine with me. Some bikes have hard luggage that will fit a bike, or else under the seat. They also make backpacks with a helmet compartment. Used to have one of those and it was quite convenient.

I would never trust the helmet lock on the bike (not even sure my BMW F800GS has one)--too easy to cut through the strap or to mess with the helmet, especially since mine is a bit conspicuous (bright highlighter yellow pattern).
Old 08-07-2014, 01:16 AM
I either secure it / lock it, or take it with me.

Once, years ago, I pulled up to a parking spot and saw a Harley parked, with a half-helmet hanging from the handle bar and a pair of gloves inside it. I was just starting to ride and thought, cool, we can do that? When I walked out, the Harley was gone, and my gloves were gone. I'm certain the rider took them, the fucker. That was in the mid-1980s, at the California DMV in Pleasanton. I've never done that, ever again.

I still remember that.

Last edited by Bullitt; 08-07-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:34 AM
born to be shunned
A lot depends on where and when and related questions. Sometimes I simply hang it from the handlebars or over the sissy bar if its a fairly safe and well traveled area. Sometimes I'll tote it along with me. But a lot of times I'll ask someone to stash it for me; especially at amusement parks and places like that. I figure if you mark a door "guests services" i'm willing to see if helmet guarding is one of those services.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Just about every bike has a helmet lock, but I use it as a last resort. Helmets are pricey and people screw with your stuff if you're not around - at the store I take it in with me, at work it goes in a drawer, etc.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
Just about every bike has a helmet lock, but I use it as a last resort. Helmets are pricey and people screw with your stuff if you're not around - at the store I take it in with me, at work it goes in a drawer, etc.
At work I definitely bring it in. Not only does it make for a conversation starter, it's one less thing that'll be 900 degrees when I walk back out to it. It would never even cross my mind to leave the helmet outside for 8 hours while I'm at work.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Dickens View Post
Just bought a Shoei worth about 20% of the value of my bike, so I have a vested interest in the topic!
This. That darned Shoei is expensive. I take mine with me.

Carrying it with me also eliminates the need to explain that I'm really not into leather play or BDSM when I'm walking around in black leather chaps and a very faded black leather jacket.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:04 PM
I live in Taiwan where there are more scooters (and motorcycles) than cars. Everyone leaves their helmets on their bike. I suspect it would be easier for you to carry your helmet than move to Taiwan to solve the problem, however.

In Japan, I drove this thing, and at 400 cc, it didn't have that much power, it was really quick off the line.

If you want to get something similar, make sure you work on your abs. Sitting in that position for a while requires abdominal strength, says this couch potato.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:05 AM
On the scooter, we store one under the seat. There's a little hook and strap thing that allows us to secure the second helmet so it's dangling off the side (the seat closes over the strap, so it would be difficult to cut through). On the Multistrada we just use the topbox.

When we had the Aprilia my husband would hang the helmets over the handlebars and secure them with thin flexible chain locks. But in Korea people leave their helmets unsecured all the time. I've never heard of anyone stealing a helmet. Still, our helmets were pricey enough that we definitely would cry if they got nicked.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:59 AM
If I'm stopping at a cafe or something and will be nearby / in sight, I hang it from the mirror or bar. Otherwise, I take it with me every time. I've heard stories of people stealing helmets as a set-up - the rider has to get home another way (compulsory helmet laws where I live), and while they're gone the bike gets stolen - not sure how often this happens or not, but the helmet is expensive so I'd rather hang onto it!
Mine fits reasonably well into the crook of my elbow with my arm through the open part (visor up) and isn't too awkward to carry once I got the hang of it. Plus it kinda gives people context for why I'm striding around in squeaky boots and unflattering leathers lol.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
At work I definitely bring it in. Not only does it make for a conversation starter, it's one less thing that'll be 900 degrees when I walk back out to it. It would never even cross my mind to leave the helmet outside for 8 hours while I'm at work.
There's a guy in the office building who does this and I always notice it. He has a really nice bike, too, though he disparages it when you say something. "Nice bike!" "Oh this old thing? It's all scratched up." Bwuh? Just take the compliment dude. I thought only women did that faux modesty thing. Just saw thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Charter Member
Sticker on it that says, "I HAVE LICE".

I don't ride a motorcycle, and people rarely steal riding helmets.

StG
Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
I don't ride a motorcycle, and people rarely steal riding helmets.

StG
You should get one. Its more fun to ride when you have more than One Horsepower.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:00 AM
I take it with me. If someone knocks my bike over, I'd rather not pay for another Bell Star as well.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essured View Post
Mine fits reasonably well into the crook of my elbow with my arm through the open part (visor up) and isn't too awkward to carry once I got the hang of it.
Ah, the "purse carry." Not really my style, but I've seen it growing in popularity since full-face helmets became the norm.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:19 PM
I usually strap mine to a seat cover I have on the bike so I can position the helmet upright but it won't roll off. I've never heard of anyone's helmets getting messed with in these parts. I hear anecdotaly that helmet theft is mostly a phenomenon in mandatory helmet states, although I probably wouldn't be as eager to put that to the test if I had one of those $600 Shoeis.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 AM
A long time ago, if I was just in-and-out, I used to wear it sometimes...

Walked into a bank, sat down, and started thinking about the withdrawal slip. I was thinking $10 ? or $20 ? (I was younger then, and didn't have much money at all). Then $15 ? or $10?. Or $20? So I'm sitting there, wearing my helmet, trying to make a decsion, and I sit back and look up and see, on the mezanine floor, a security guard.

That's funny I think. Never seen a security guard up there before I think. So, out of curiousity, I look around, and I see another guard. And another guard, And another guard, and another guard ----jeez there's guard everywhere, and they are all looking at me.

So I carefully take my helmet off, with my hands clear where they can see them, and fill in $10, and walk over to the cashiers.

They have "no helmets" signs on the front door now, but they didn't back then, in the early '80s.

Last edited by Melbourne; 08-10-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Charter Member
I may just have been lucky, but I've been riding for 20 years have never had someone screw with my helmet, despite frequently leaving it on the handlebars or locked by it's strap to the ring under the seat.

Now that I've surrendered to practicality and ride a bike with bags, I usually lock it in the left bag. If I leave it on the handlebar now, I have a small cable lock from REI that I use. But that's because even though I've always bought top of the line helmets, the one I have now is the first that's relatively fancy looking paint-wise.

What I have yet to figure out is what to do with my boots. I can lock my Aerostich to the bike, or if I separate the top and bottom and put it in the cases. If I'm wearing jeans, I'm good to go. But now that I live in Santa Barbara, I wear shorts under the suit most of the time. And big honking adventure boots and shorts is NOT a good look. No idea there.

Last edited by Pork Rind; 08-10-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Charter Member
OK, serious answer. I just carry my helmet in my hand, by the chin piece. Before I got a better backpack, I't put the top of my backpack through the bottom of the helmet and carry both things by the handle on the top of the backpack. When I'm not using my backpack as a shopping bag, I use the helmet as an ad hoc basket.

Or sometimes, I just don't take the helmet off.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Charter Member
Ran out of time before I could save in the link to my boots, but imagine wearing these with shorts.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
Ran out of time before I could save in the link to my boots, but imagine wearing these with shorts.
Don't have to imagine. My riding buddy wears a Roadcrafter; when we stop for lunch on hot riding days, he takes it off, revealing shorts and riding boots similar to what you've got.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Whatcha gonna do?
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
Could be worse. Could be these.

Yes, my spouse owns those. No, they don't match his bike, or anything else he owns.

At least he doesn't wear them with shorts...