Short, no 'stache 3 5.66%
Short, with mustache 37 69.81%
Med length (D.C.-ish) 2 3.77%
Jagged bang long 9 16.98%
Some other option not in OP 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Freddie Mercury - Long hair or short?

I liked Queen as soon as I first heard them back in the 70s.

Frontman Freddie Mercury simply bled talent (as did the entire band, really).

He went thru a fairly radical change in his look by means of his hair. When I first saw Queen, Freddie had the jagged bang long hair look. At one time, I saw him with an almost David Cassady look. In between length, kind of blowdried looking even. And then the short hair look, both with and without mustache.

Which look did you prefer?

In between length (David Cassady-ish)

Short with 'stache

Jagged bang long and short no 'stache

Poll to follow
Old 08-27-2014, 10:23 PM
I preferred the jagged bang long. It fit my ideas of what 70s rockers should look like. I did like his short hair look, but the mustache was a bit much, I thought.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I'm normally not a facial hair girl, but I call his "the only valid mustache."

I also think he rocked the short hair very well. He had those eyes...they needed to be seen.

My fave is the Flash Freddie.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 PM
For me, the definitive Freddie Mercury look is the one of his statue at Montreux. So, short with 'stache.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 PM
For whatever reason, medium length is the definitive Mercury look for me. Was that what he was rockin' in the Bohemian Rhapsody era? Who knows.

Aside: I learned when I was a super in an opera (Boheme, if you care; I was a waiter) that if you give me really short hair (I was flirting with it at the time, because of Christopher Eccleston) and a mustache... yeah. I pretty much turn into Freddie M. There are worse things that can happen to a guy, I guess.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
For me, the definitive Freddie Mercury look is the one of his statue at Montreux. So, short with 'stache.
That is a glorious statute. I've not seen that before.

When someone references Mercury, in my mind I see short hair with the mustache. Brian May, I see with the curled long hair.

But regardless, Freddie's charismatic stage presence transcended his physical appearance.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:54 AM
Edit: a glorious statue, not statute. Legal training kicked in.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:50 AM
He's just not Freddie without the mustache, to my mind.

I do kind of wish he'd worn his hair long and had the mustache, but of the looks he's actually worn, short hair and hairy lip.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 AM
The funny thing is, the mustachioed Mercury was seen for less than a third of the man's career, from 80 through to 86. Queen had the most visibility then, due to massive touring, although their music had already turned to hollow, throwaway cock pop, IMHO (just what Mercury wanted, it seems ). To me, the best look was the late-80's clean-cut, short-haired one, as seen on the 'Barcelona' footage and the sleeve of the 'Miracle' LP (by the time of the video shoots for the album, Mercury had adopted the long stubble with short hair, which I associate with the first visible signs of his illness.)
Old 08-28-2014, 04:36 AM
Mercury's short hair with 'stache was the gay "clone" look of the 70s and 80s.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Charter Member
Y'know, I love Queen, and I think Freddie Mercury was incredibly talented, but his looks do absolutely nothing for me. I looked at all the linked pictures, and I don't like any of them. I can objectively see how some people would find him attractive, but I can't really like or dislike any of his looks more than the other. They're all bad for me.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Wow. Late career short with mustache is winning by a landslide.

I wonder if it is indeed about their increased exposure in pop culture from that time period.

I should do a poll next about their pants.

Last edited by AncientHumanoid; 08-28-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: pants
Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 AM
His look never made the slightest difference to me.

But I think Queen was making better music when Freddy had long hair.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Don't like the stache. Ick.

I like longer hair as a rule, but he looks better with shorter hair.