Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Charter Member
Cerberus etymology?

From here:
The name "Cerberus" is a Latinised version of the Greek Kerberos. The etymology of this name prior to Greek is disputed. It has been claimed to be related to the Sanskrit word सर्वरा sarvarā, used as an epithet of one of the dogs of Yama, from a Proto-Indo-European word *k̑érberos, meaning "spotted".
So... Hades, the god of the Underworld, named his dog 'Spot'?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
From here:

So... Hades, the god of the Underworld, named his dog 'Spot'?
Yes. I've read this elsewhere.

In this famous Greek vase Kerberos isn't depicted as spotted, but the snakes attached to him* are.

*Snakes are a common attribute of "underworld" figures. I know of no text that describes Kerberos as being covered by snakes, Medusa-like, but you can see it in depictions like this

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: shick shadel seattle wwii lighters fancy feast ingredients piss pots maggot eating flesh culmination ceremony sideways peace sign accordion french raymond reddington fedora patriotism is bad waste management mafia non offensive synonym vodka and pineapple guard cats eugene songs gunsmoke whelans men nerds booger kathie browne enterprise cold front cloudberry preserves violin case gun the browns house stillwater songs american cheese block peanuts in soda ron ron fox shin dent strategize spelling piso mojado fill dirt definition singing lessons adults shuttle columbia bodies mayor shinn black and brown hair removing wood glue from clothing houston best strip club loose gas cap check engine light reset why do democrats wear red ties how long does ground delivery take numbers in email address unprofessional what is a dutchie why does teller only talk to penn mano a mano translation apocalypse now playboy bunnies why do british say idear wet dream by kip addotta is fancy feast good is it illegal to not have an id 3 benadryl at once famous one eyed pirate does super glue work on rubber battery plus and minus what is the highest bacon number can soap go bad guinea pig ball amazon two tank air compressor does red wine have to be refrigerated see you in a bit expression piss like a russian racehorse meaning dark age of camelot cloudsong can i get new lenses in my old frames no dentist in 10 years 2 dollar bill good luck swingline 67 electric stapler disk data transfer rate 5.9