Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Are bedframes and headboard attachments at a standard height?

I hope this is a simple question.

We have a headboard (from Pottery Barn) with holes in it to attach a frame. We're shopping for a frame (just the metal part that supports the mattress and box spring). I see that most frames have a flat piece with 5 holes that looks like it should match up to the holes on the headboard, but I haven't found any, yet, that specify the height of those holes.

Are all/most headboards and bed frames made with those holes at a standard height, or do we have to do some careful measuring/selecting to get one that will match our headboard?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Bumping for you, because I have a new generic frame/mattress but no headboard yet, so need the answer also.

If I may add a corollary remark, I have seen some headboards advertised as working for both queen/king frames. Does anyone know if this is reliable? I have a king frame and want to just order a headboard online. Tired of my pillows falling down and smothering the dustbunnies at 2 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:51 PM
The attachment bolt holes in most bed frames are vertical slots that allow for some adjustment.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemenopy View Post
Bumping for you, because I have a new generic frame/mattress but no headboard yet, so need the answer also.

If I may add a corollary remark, I have seen some headboards advertised as working for both queen/king frames. Does anyone know if this is reliable? I have a king frame and want to just order a headboard online. Tired of my pillows falling down and smothering the dustbunnies at 2 AM.
I have a headboard that supports a full or queen frame. The headboard is queen width, so it's wider than my full mattress. The hardware on the headboard has really long horizontal slots into which you can put bolts from the queen/full frame. Put the bolts in the innermost edges of the hardware slots and the frame is full-sized. Put the bolts for the frame on the outermost edges of the hardware slots and the frame is queen-sized.

I'm sure it works the same for queen & king. But there's only a 6-inch difference between full and queen, so the headboard is 3" wider than my mattress on each side. It's 16" for queen and king, but you have a king so you wouldn't have a headboard wider than the mattress.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Charter Member
Pretty much. As mentioned, there are either slotted holes on the frame end, or holes at multiple heights to accommodate headboards. Additionally, those who make headboards usually make them to fit to standard bed frames. I've never had a problem in 40 years of buying my own beds.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:22 PM
they are set at a height that a red can comfortably fit under.

i've seen mostly slots along with anyone hiding.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Good news, thanks. I hate returning stuff.

Now to find a nice-ish headboard that can make the narrow turn up my stairs...
Old 11-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Worst case you might have to drill extra holes in the headboard, so make sure that can be done if you can't verify the hole spacing. I saw a headboard screwed to the wall one time, so you can improvise if necessary.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemenopy View Post
Good news, thanks. I hate returning stuff.

Now to find a nice-ish headboard that can make the narrow turn up my stairs...
This is where Ikea's 'some assembly required' motif really comes in handy.