Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Wrist watch garrote

I was just watching the movie Blowout and the bad guy used one. I think they used one in a Bond flick among others. Was this ever really a thing or is it just a movie fabrication?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:43 PM
I hate to see a thread die without even a single reply, so:

Think about the physics of using a garrote - a bunch of force pulling toward one's shoulder (or so). Now think about trying to subject your wrist to such force in such direction.
You are trying to kill somebody, not break your wrist.

A cute trick for 007, but not in real life.

Last edited by usedtobe; 11-24-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 PM
It's not practical. The Bond flick was From Russia With Love, in case you're wondering. The Walkman garrotte from The Living Daylights is a bit more plausible.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 PM
Charter Member
Why would it be any less practical than any other means of using a garotte? The force on the wrist would be spread out over the width of the strap, presumably designed for the task. The force against the victim's neck would be focused in a path about 0.02" wide.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:04 PM
You need a mechanism inside the watch that allows you to extend, say, 18 inches of wire or whatever, with which you have to apply a substantial amount of force. There's a reason garrottes are normally constructed with handles.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:18 PM
Breitling makes a pilot's watch with an emergency locator beacon* that has an antenna that extends when you unscrew a stud and pull out an 18 inch wire. I always wondered if that came from a fan of the Bond movie.

* two, actually: military pilots can get one with the military beacon frequency.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:32 AM
Such a watch was sold through ads in Soldier of Fortune magazine back in the 1980s. It wasn't cheap. The same company sold other gimmicked watches and 007ish items. None of them were cheap, either. So, such watches did/do exist. Were they actually used by secret agents? I doubt it. The company seemed to target customers who had seen the items in movies or in books about the OSS. Actual government agencies probably didn't buy from them.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
You need a mechanism inside the watch that allows you to extend, say, 18 inches of wire or whatever, with which you have to apply a substantial amount of force. There's a reason garrottes are normally constructed with handles.
If you look at Red Grant's "watch garrote" in From Russia With Love, you can see that it has a bulbous "fob" on the end. So it does have a handle, of sorts. I'd think that a loop you could at least put a couple of fingers through would be better, though.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:07 AM
But does it keep accurate time?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
But does it keep accurate time?
It keeps one time accurately.

"Time to die!"
Old 11-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe View Post
I hate to see a thread die without even a single reply, so...
Ha ha, thanks. I had considered bumping it but decided against it.

I guess I hadn't considered the lack of a handle on the extending end. A fob probably wouldn't cut it. I guess a lot depends on the force required to be effective.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
If you look at Red Grant's "watch garrote" in From Russia With Love, you can see that it has a bulbous "fob" on the end. So it does have a handle, of sorts. I'd think that a loop you could at least put a couple of fingers through would be better, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White SIFL View Post
I guess I hadn't considered the lack of a handle on the extending end. A fob probably wouldn't cut it. I guess a lot depends on the force required to be effective.
How about a metal ring, a couple of inches in diameter? When not in use, it could frame the face of the watch, or encircle the back of the watch. That might give you a better grip.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM
The amount of force needed to compress the blood vessels isn't great. Crushing the trachea would require more. The wire-cutting-through-the-neck effect seen in movies and novels would reqire a ridiculous amount of force. I'm not sure it could even be done manually.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Such a watch was sold through ads in Soldier of Fortune magazine back in the 1980s.....Actual government agencies probably didn't buy from them.
I have it on good authority that CIA employees, including former directors, are skilled in their use.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
The amount of force needed to compress the blood vessels isn't great. Crushing the trachea would require more. The wire-cutting-through-the-neck effect seen in movies and novels would reqire a ridiculous amount of force. I'm not sure it could even be done manually.
I don't think the amount of force is the big problem. I think it's maintaining that force while the victim is struggling.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Fairbairn and Applegate both addressed strangulation in their military training manuals. I don't think a gimmicked watch is really the tool of choice based on their work. A knotted length of cord, or even a necktie, would be better if one was required to appear unarmed.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Are there legitimate stores that sell garrottes? Maybe Bob's Garrotte Emporium or Garrottes "R" Us?

Last edited by Donnerwetter; 11-25-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Hey Red, I think we're gonna need a bigger watch.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Googling "Red Grant Wristwatch" produces the following pictures, which show a ring rather than the "fob" I thought I saw in the film. It's still pretty small -- I'm not sure you could get even one finger in there

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...G&fr=yfp-t-901

Old 11-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Quote:
But wouldn't you only need to cut off the blood supply to the brain? In the UFC, for example, people get put to sleep on a regular basis with a forearm. I can only assume if you didn't let up the subject would eventually die.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
That would be the big hurdle, yeah. You can use the wristwatch'd wrist as an anchor point, but your other hand needs something in order to be able to pull the wire hard enough to strangle the dude. Your fingertips clinging to a fake adjustment knob aren't going to do the trick ; a single finger's ring will break that finger.

I suppose you could loop the string around 4 fingers of your other hand, but you're going to hurt yourself a lot doing that. Also the guards will only have to look for the guy with the big red line across his knuckles
Old 11-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnerwetter View Post
Are there legitimate stores that sell garrottes? Maybe Bob's Garrotte Emporium or Garrottes "R" Us?
Yes, down in the Garotte District.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Rear naked chokes are easy and effective. I can't imagine that the risk of getting caught with a concealed lethal weapon is worth the slight added benefit.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Quote:
The wire-cutting-through-the-neck effect seen in movies and novels would reqire a ridiculous amount of force. I'm not sure it could even be done manually.
Really? I would think messy, partial decapitation would be nearly unavoidable with a length of piano wire applied as a garotte. Given a forearm is far more inconspicuous and a sleeper hold reasonably quick, it seems a bit of nastiness is about all the garotte would bring to the game--otherwise why bother?
Old 11-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
It keeps one time accurately.

"Time to die!"
"Either he's dead or my watch has stopped."
Old 11-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Sun Jester View Post
Really? I would think messy, partial decapitation would be nearly unavoidable with a length of piano wire applied as a garotte. Given a forearm is far more inconspicuous and a sleeper hold reasonably quick, it seems a bit of nastiness is about all the garotte would bring to the game--otherwise why bother?
Try it yourself on a raw roast or animal carcass. I don't think you'll report much success cutting meat and bone with wire.

Last edited by Scumpup; 11-26-2014 at 07:19 PM.