Old 01-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Can Sloths Move Fast? (if they wanted to)

So on the Grantland NFL Podcast did a silly question of "Which animal could play QB with Peyton Manning's Brain." One of the guys said Sloth, because it would be funny.

It's funny because of the obvious thoguht of "well no, Sloths are slow and couldn't throw the ball" But that lead me to think, why are sloths so slow?

If it wanted to, COULD it move fast? If Peyton's brain was in this thing, could he make it move fast? Is there something with a Sloth's biology that won't allow it's muscles to move in a quick manner?

If I had to guess I would say they couldn't move fast because of something with their energy consumption/metabolism
Old 01-08-2015, 01:10 PM
The Internets say a two-toed sloth can run 0.17 mph, and that sloths in danger* can cover 15 feet in a minute, which is relatively blinding speed.

*band name!
Old 01-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
The Internets say a two-toed sloth can run 0.17 mph, and that sloths in danger* can cover 15 feet in a minute, which is relatively blinding speed.

*band name!
Those two rates are equal; 15 feet per minute is 0.17 miles per hour.

Just sayin'.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:15 PM
You have to wonder what could both put a sloth in mortal peril and yet not be able to move faster than 15 feet per minute.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:35 PM
See, now I'm curious as to why

How is a sloth's muscle structure so different that it (presumably) literally can't go fast than that?
Old 01-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Charter Member
Need answer fast?

Old 01-08-2015, 01:43 PM
Horrified Onlooker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
You have to wonder what could both put a sloth in mortal peril and yet not be able to move faster than 15 feet per minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
Need answer fast?

Well done!
Old 01-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
An incoming tide perhaps?
Old 01-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
A sloth is going to need a bigger boat.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:26 PM
I seem to recall that their lack of speed has to do with their diet and the relative atrophy of their muscles from just sitting around all day...but I know someone will have a much better (and better supported) answer than my wild half-rememberings.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
I seem to recall that their lack of speed has to do with their diet and the relative atrophy of their muscles from just sitting around all day...but I know someone will have a much better (and better supported) answer than my wild half-rememberings.
If that's so, could you take a captive sloth and feed it better nutritionally and then make it work out so it's faster?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:00 PM
Might need to give it a pedicure first. Those feet make 4" heels look like 100 meter dash shoes.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Charter Member
Here's a handy link that goes into some detail.

Apparently most of your average sloth's musculature are made up of retractor muscles ( including what would normally be extensor muscles that have been modified into retractor muscles ). This makes them custom-made for clinging to stuff and, with a couple of bone and ligament mods, hanging from things ( like trees ). But utter crap at movement.

In addition they have a low muscle mass just generally relative to mammals of a comparable size.

So, yeah - they simply lack the anatomy to move quickly under any circumstances.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Charter Member
From wikipedia - they have a low metabolism (including low body temperature), they move only when necessary and even then they move slowly, they sleep up to 18 hours a day, and they have 1/4 the muscle mass of a comparitively sized mammal. Their metabolism is so slow that they only pee/poop once a week.

They're not made for movement. If you fed them easier to digest food and excercised them, you'd get a dispeptic, grumpy sloth that might even be slower than usual. Actually, I'd be interested to see how you'd go about getting them to exercise without damaging them or getting damaged yourself.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Shouting Grasshopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
Quote:
A sloth is going to need a bigger boat.
From National Geographic:

Though they couldn't be clumsier on land, sloths are surprisingly good swimmers. They sometimes fall directly from rain forest trees into rivers and stroke efficiently with their long arms.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Need answer fast?

Need answer fast. Am being chased by a sloth.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:10 PM
The only animal slower than a sloth is a slower sloth!
Old 01-10-2015, 08:21 PM
BANNED
I lived in Panama for 3 years. A sloth lived in the coconut trees out front and a family of monkeys liked to swear at him in their language. One night I came home late and was walking up the long driveway and at first I thought it was a dog that had been hit by a car or similar, but when I looked it was "my" sloth dragging himself along the ground, those claws are longer than my fingers. I leaned towards him to take a pic with my camera. I got close enuff to prove that I had really been that close, but looking at those claws I didn't choose to get close enuff for him to get me just in case he did have the power to make one fast swipe with those claws. So I am weighing here with a very decisive "I don't know!"

Last edited by DingoelGringo; 01-10-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Charter Member
Hijack ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoelGringo View Post
I lived in Panama for 3 years. ...
Me too. I was there with the USAF & US Army from '82 to '85. When, where, & why for you? (if I may be so bold.)

Colibri lives there full time now as a research scientist. AFAIK, we 3 are the only current or former Panamaniacs on the 'Dope.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:54 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Two-toed sloths are more active and can move with some speed if provoked. They can take swipes with their forefeet and can bite with their sharp teeth. They require some care in handling. On the other hand, three-toed sloths are generally much more lethargic and can move only slowly.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:06 AM
born to be shunned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
See, now I'm curious as to why

How is a sloth's muscle structure so different that it (presumably) literally can't go fast than that?
Not enough muscles for limbs that long? I mean if you look at it from the skeleton out we're clearly not dealing with designed for speed.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSC View Post
You don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun the sloth being chased by the bear.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSC View Post
And the only thing slower than that is a debauched sloth.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:58 AM
SDSAB
Will no one think of the sloth children?!?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
. . . they sleep up to 18 hours a day . . .
Some recent research calls that number into question, ("Sloth's Lazy Image a Myth"), though they might have been looking at a different kind of sloth.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Not enough muscles for limbs that long? I mean if you look at it from the skeleton out we're clearly not dealing with designed for speed.
This image of a sloth skeleton actually reveals something else of note: If they were walking, they'd effectively be using the sides of their hands and feet, not the soles/palms. If I had to run away from a sloth using that same posture, it just might beat me.

(Also, looking at that picture, is anyone thinking that we need a zombie sloth movie now? What untapped potential!)
Old 01-15-2015, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carryon View Post
If that's so, could you take a captive sloth and feed it better nutritionally and then make it work out so it's faster?
They were going to make a Sloth Workout Video but couldn't find any music slow enough.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
And the only thing slower than that is a debauched sloth.
Actually, a debauched sloth appears to move faster, if only to experience more debauchery:

Quote:
More cake, more grog: growing confidence and esteem. After this, as soon as the drum had beat the retreat, the sloth would meet him, hurrying toward the door on its uneven legs
Old 01-15-2015, 09:55 AM
SDSAB
Before Disney bought him out, I hear Lucas was considering a Star Wars sequel: Wroth Sloth on Hoth.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:59 AM
“Jack, you've debauched my sloth.”
― Patrick O'Brian, H.M.S. Surprise

Jack had actually got it drunk.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Two sloths in a bar got into a fight and killed each other.

The police came and asked "What happened here?"

The bartender said, "I don't know; it all happened so fast."
Old 01-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
Two sloths in a bar got into a fight and killed each other.

The police came and asked "What happened here?"

The bartender said, "I don't know; it all happened so fast."
Isn't the bartender supposed to be a snail or a turtle?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:38 PM
SDSAB
Q: What does a snail on the back of a turtle say?
A: "Wheee!"
Old 01-15-2015, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Two-toed sloths are more active and can move with some speed if provoked. They can take swipes with their forefeet and can bite with their sharp teeth. They require some care in handling. On the other hand, three-toed sloths are generally much more lethargic and can move only slowly.
Any idea why they are not all dead, Colibri?
Are they less delicious than monkeys, or something?

For a jaguar or a harpy, they can't even move fast enough to provide a dangerous response, can they?
Old 01-15-2015, 11:21 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pedant View Post
Any idea why they are not all dead, Colibri?
Are they less delicious than monkeys, or something?

For a jaguar or a harpy, they can't even move fast enough to provide a dangerous response, can they?
They're quite hard to see; in fact I don't often see them even though they are probably the most common medium sized animal in the tropical forest. When they are sleeping, they look like a big ball of dead moss or other vegetation, especially since the algae that grows on their fur often makes them look greenish. Even when they're awake, they move so slowly they don't attract attention.

They're usually on branches too small for a jaguar to climb, although margays can reach them. Harpy eagles are their main predators, but harpies are rare and have been hunted out in many areas. And for a harpy to catch one, it has to be fairly exposed. If it's tucked up in the branches a harpy won't be able to get at it.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:44 PM
I remember reading an account of someone who was caring for a sloth for some reason. She was worried because (I'm not sure how she noticed) it wouldn't urinate. However, once it was sprayed with water it let go. The theory was that sloths only piss when it rains lest the piss give away their location to predators.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
I remember reading an account of someone who was caring for a sloth for some reason. She was worried because (I'm not sure how she noticed) it wouldn't urinate. However, once it was sprayed with water it let go. The theory was that sloths only piss when it rains lest the piss give away their location to predators.
Hee. I'm picturing a sloth enclosure where it's like in the produce section -- periodically "Stand back, spray of water is about to be released".
Old 01-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I guess the weight of the extra toe really slows them down?
Old 01-16-2015, 03:25 PM
True Facts about Sloths'es.
Per the video on average sloths can move up to 3 feet per minute, which is an impressive 3 FPM faster than a dead sloth. Funny stuff if you have a couple minutes and the video series is just as funny.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XrUM...w6h05&index=20
Old 01-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Gotta thank you guys for the references explaining sloths in detail. I've been fascinated by these creatures for a long time, but missed the details on exactly why they are the way they are, especially their slowness. They evolved to hang in trees and act like the background to avoid predators. Who needs to move much with that great ability? I finally understand their slow, weird walking (or crawling really) on land. They are cute, weird looking creatures, but I would hesitate to hold one given all the bugs reportedly in their fur. Plus those claws
Old 01-16-2015, 06:57 PM
SDSAB
I don't find them disgusting or anything, but I am not attracted to or fascinated by them in the least. They're just... there.