Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 02-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Viburnum, MO
Posts: 9,461
Random Strangers Sending Me Skype Contact Requests - What's The Scam?

Since signing up for Skype several months ago, I've gotten a couple dozen contact requests from complete strangers, who will then try to chat with me. Every time, when I've asked how we know each other, the answer I've received has either been evasive or an honest "We don't. I just saw your name and thought we could talk." And of course, every non-answer has resulted in an immediate block of the person.

What's this about? What possible reason could there be for people to chat up random strangers? Leading up to lead up to a sales pitch? A long-con version of the 410 scam? People who genuinely enjoy talking to strangers?
#2
Old 02-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 11,682
I've gotten a few that claim to be from women I met on sites that I've never even been to. I assume if I initiated contact they'd try to get me into a paid webcam session or a porn or dating site.
#3
Old 02-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
What's this about? What possible reason could there be for people to chat up random strangers? Leading up to lead up to a sales pitch? A long-con version of the 410 scam? People who genuinely enjoy talking to strangers?
"Now that we are friends, I feel a little bit more comfortable letting you know that I have a stage 4 cranio-rectal inversion and have at most 6 months to live if I can't raise enough money for the extraction process. Can you help?"
#4
Old 02-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I've gotten a few that claim to be from women I met on sites that I've never even been to. I assume if I initiated contact they'd try to get me into a paid webcam session or a porn or dating site.
This is it. A link to a webcam site will soon follow if you start chatting.
#5
Old 02-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 41,379
I've played with them. They're obviously bots -- their answers don't match what you say to them, and the go on even when you text back obvious non sequiturs. Eventually, they tell you to go to a website to see them naked.
__________________
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
#6
Old 02-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southeast Florida USA
Posts: 21,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
... They're obviously bots ... Eventually, they tell you to go to a website to see them naked.
And when you do, this (SFW) is what you see: https://google.com/search?hl=en&...

Last edited by LSLGuy; 02-04-2015 at 05:29 PM.
#7
Old 02-05-2015, 02:51 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
And when you do, this (SFW) is what you see: https://google.com/search?hl=en&...
#8
Old 02-05-2015, 04:54 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Missoula, Montana, USA
Posts: 20,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadjun View Post
"Now that we are friends, I feel a little bit more comfortable letting you know that I have a stage 4 cranio-rectal inversion and have at most 6 months to live if I can't raise enough money for the extraction process. Can you help?"
Hey, do you know how expensive it is to hire a proctoneurologist? Practically all of their time is taken up by housecalls at IBM!
__________________
"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
If you don't stop to analyze the snot spray, you are missing that which is best in life. - Miller
I'm not sure why this is, but I actually find this idea grosser than cannibalism. - Excalibre, after reading one of my surefire million-seller business plans.
#9
Old 02-05-2015, 05:07 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 34,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
And when you do, this (SFW) is what you see: https://google.com/search?hl=en&...
I salute you.
#10
Old 02-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
And when you do, this (SFW) is what you see: https://google.com/search?hl=en&...
I've asked girls if I can see into their box before....but never expected that
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: wash behind ears brick shit house curtains in doorway potato radio kit swag etymology mea message board manhunter imdb attached earlobes fork in toaster refer song uverse antivirus free giotto circle does wax dissolve in water joe namath leggs commercial why do women's bikes have lower bar westinghouse tv cable setup is it bad to swallow phlegm after coughing does mail get delivered on sunday kotor good or evil lt dyke easy company what to wear to a slipknot concert 2005 honda civic overheating problems resale value of mobile homes how do filing cabinet locks work