Old 06-20-2001, 07:35 PM
Hasn't anybody ever come up with a harmless, pleasant recreational drug? Don't say pot, though, because it sent me off my rocker, even if everyone else was fine (and laughing at me).

Go on. What's the closest? Lowest death to happiness ratio?
Old 06-20-2001, 07:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
No links to websites in this thread, please. Just share your own experiences if you must, and don't post your dealers phone number.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:13 PM
Caffeine. . .

Specifically, the amount found in Diet Mountain Dew. Love it!

----\/
----///\\\
Old 06-20-2001, 08:32 PM
With you on the Mountain Dew thing. I spent a month recklessly consuming Barr's Irn Bru (a fizzy beverage considered Scotland's other national drink (after whisky I guess)), and enjoying the buzz more than somewhat. Only thing is, after the 25th cup, caffeine gets really annoying. Especially if you're fasting and therefore drinking coffee to placate your oral urge... same effect as speed, I believe, but without the club atmos...
Old 06-20-2001, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ross
Hasn't anybody ever come up with a harmless, pleasant recreational drug?
Timothy Leary?

Seriously, I believe this is every Chemists ultimate fantasy.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:57 PM
Fiction.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:11 PM
Several come to mind, but my favourite is a cocktail of theobromine, phenylethylamine, and tryptophan.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:11 PM
BANNED
I must agree with elfkin447, as I read more than anyone on the face of the planet, 99.9% at least.

Mushrooms are fun in mild doses, and if you do overdose you'll just puke and pass out. They are fun to grow, and growing kits arte available almost everywhere. They are non addictive and are very fun with a lover. It's hard to have a bad trip on mushrooms.

Acid is a fun drug, as long as you don't take too much. The bad side effects are that you sometimes get the sensation as if the drug is frying your brain away. It is cheap but you probably sleep most of the next day.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:32 PM
I hope the youth of American aren't reading this right now, but in my limited experience I'd have to put a vote in for ecstasy. Just a half hit.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:38 PM
-taking notes-

Speaking for the Youth of America, Cranky, I'll keep that in mind.

Only a half?

-scribbles furiously-

Should I calculate body mass in there somewhere?
Old 06-20-2001, 09:39 PM
Sex.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:43 PM
Some of this sounds very interesting but obviously most is illegal. I'm interested either in legal modernday stuff (which works rather than costing 20) or interesting histories, like what the Romans got up to, etc. The main point, as Dr C.Fire pointed out, is to stay away from illegality. If I wanted that I could get it three hundred yards from my front door.

Not that I won't be remembering what everyone's said...

But ANYWAY [quickly returning to sobriety], I want to know what avoids bad trips. What doesn't send you into a paranoid landscape. Where everything's your mother. Etc.

I mean, how hard can it BE? If they put half as much effort into this as they put into drilling for oil... sheeeesh.

All of this, of course, should be read as ironic humour. Now go dig me up a wonderdrug.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:43 PM
I have to agree with Wishbone. Shrooms are harmless.

The thing with acid is you can't do it all the time. It builds up in your spine and your body doesn't expel it like it does eventually with other drugs. The good part about this is they can't find it in a drug test unless they take a spinal tap. They can't do a tap without your permission. You'll never flunk another drug test.

I did alot of acid when I was younger. The only real side effects are these neat little flashbacks. I've had several. Nothing scary though. Mainly just things moving that you know aren't moving. That's my experience anyway.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:49 PM
A.. I'm traditional, I guess. I'll take booze anytime. Hasn't harmed me yet, anyhow!

But you got to remember to eat once in awhile.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Searching For Truth
Should I calculate body mass in there somewhere?
Don't bother since the amount that is in a "hit" can vary wildly. From what I read ectasy is bad news for a chronic user (you lose brain cells resulting in reduced brain function) and ODs can be deadly.
Old 06-20-2001, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lao
Don't bother since the amount that is in a "hit" can vary wildly. From what I read ectasy is bad news for a chronic user (you lose brain cells resulting in reduced brain function) and ODs can be deadly.
While I don't want to argue that X is not harmful, if taken in a 'normal' dosage, and it being pure MDMA there shouldn't be any major side effects. The best way is to make sure you have taken vitamins a few days before you take it. Eat healthy and drink pleanty of OJ during the wig. If you do this, there shouldn't be a problem and make sure you wait a couple of weeks before your next wig.

Since Coldfire will not allow links, I can't place the cite for this, but it came from the US DOJ:

"An MDMA overdose is characterized by high blood pressure, faintness, panic attacks, and, in more severe cases, loss of consciousness, seizures, and a drastic rise in body temperature. MDMA overdoses can be fatal, as they may result in heart failure or extreme heat stroke."

With normal use though some "users of the drug say that it produces profoundly positive feelings, empathy for others, elimination of anxiety, and extreme relaxation. MDMA is also said to suppress the need to eat, drink, or sleep, enabling users to endure two- to three-day parties. Consequently, MDMA use sometimes results in severe dehydration or exhaustion. While it is not as addictive as heroin or cocaine, MDMA can cause other adverse effects including nausea, hallucinations, chills, sweating, increases in body temperature, tremors, involuntary teeth clenching, muscle cramping, and blurred vision."

I have experienced most of the above side affects, although no long term damage that I know of has happened. I am not a regular user at all, and my experience in somewhat limited. Before you do any drug (from X to nicotine) read up as much as possible on it. No one can stop you from doing it, so it pays to know as much as you can about what you are doing.
Old 06-20-2001, 11:50 PM
Well, since this is about the only topic I'm qualified to discuss, I'd better weigh in.

If you're intent on removing pot (aww, damn, that's my favorite...), the best recreational substance ever is opium. Nice tarry, brownish-black chocolatey-smelling stuff. I know what the Chinese saw in that stuff. Mmm...

Anyway, as far as non-illegal drugs go, the best ones to do can usually be found on ethnobotanical websites. Salvia is one option, but is an acquired taste. Blue lotus is another (it's sorta opium-like, kinda), but there's a reason nobody's really used it for 1500 years. Surf those for your best bets, and a lot of your worst.

As far as uppers go, there aren't many worth dealing with, legal or otherwise. As far as I'm concerned, if you like to get speedy to relax, you're a crackhead. Ok, that's a little harsh, but I don't trust anyone who uses uppers recreationally.

As far as hallucenogens go, everything that's been mentioned previously is fine, except for the illegality. The real action in the legal hallucenogen department is those substances too new or obscure to be noticed by the FDA. Many of these are pedestrian or produce effects that aren't all that hot, but some are interesting. The only one I can think up offhand is "Foxy Methoxy", 5-methoxy DIPT. I'm not sure if this has been criminalized yet, but it'll be there eventually. Anyway, as far as illegal hallucenogens go, DMT's where it's at. Not for the faint of heart, though.

Oh, and as long as we're on the subject of things that make your mind go pazang, try either nitrous or salvia (but only if you know what you're doing, PLEASE) the next time you ingest your favorite vision-inducing substance. Daaaamn.

As for ways to avoid bad trips, well, you'll hear a lot of different ideas from the unwashed (reeeealy unwashed, in this case) masses. However, the only two rules of thumb that have ever held water for me are these: first, bad trips are a positive-feedback loop based on negative feelings or thoughts. The best ways to prevent the feedback loop are either to avoid those negative thoughts altogether (by not taking a snootful of psychoactive drugs after a hard day or when you know you're in a bad mood), or by learning ways to distract yourself from those thoughts while you're tripping (this is usually gained via experience, but I have a few suggestions that I won't elaborate on here). Second, have people available who you trust and who have experience dealing with psychoactives. Not only are they great ways to distract yourself (see above), they tend to be awfuly entertaining.

A final note: Please, if you aren't 18+ or don't have the maturity to practice responsible chemical ingestion, DON'T. If you don't think you know your limits, you DON'T, and that'll come back and bite you on the ass sooner or later. There are a lot of people who will be willing and happy to help you enjoy the drug of your choice in a safe, responsible fashion. You'll have more fun that way, too. Trust me on this. I'm a professional.

M.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:05 AM
BANNED
With ecstacy, whether you have a bad trip or not has nothing to do with your personality, physiological makeup, etc. You will always have a bad trip in way or another.

The come-down always feels like shit, every time. You feel like shit, the world isn't a loving, mystical place anymore, and if you had some kind of wonderful bond with an e-buddy, that fades as well.

Unfortunately, I have done way too much e. I would take it all back if I could. It changes you, I can't say exactly how, but trust me, I've had awful trips and mind-blowing,enlightening trips, but I feel like I have lost some of my human essence.

I'd leave it alone if I were you.

Other drugs I recommend you avoid:

Coke; sure, it makes you feel good, but it costs too much and will turn you into an instant crack fiend. You'll do a line every twenty minutes until it's gone. I promise. After a while you won't even be doing it for the rush, its the taste you'll be after.

Speed; again, it makes you feel good, but you'll never sleep or eat. You'll find yourself clenching your teeth at first and love the feel when it burns your nose. This drug will fuck up your personality more than you could ever imagine. Permanent Damage.

So I hope you learn from my mistakes, stick with the natural stuff; herb, mushrooms.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:10 AM
BANNED
I'd just like to say that "shrooms" is a VERY inaccurate term used to describe various different mushrooms containing chemicals that can vary wildly.
I've taken relatively harmless shrooms, and I've taken the kind that makes you try to take your pants off over your head after a small dose.
I prefer the latter

--- G. Raven
Old 06-21-2001, 12:22 AM
I always found it safe to follow comedian Marc Maron's formula in re: drugs: "Plant family good. Powder family bad."
Old 06-21-2001, 12:30 AM
True Love. Or maple syrup, I forget.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by wishbone
With ecstacy, whether you have a bad trip or not has nothing to do with your personality, physiological makeup, etc. You will always have a bad trip in way or another.
With all due respect the persons psycological and physiological makeup have a large part in the 'trip' of ecstacy. The release of seratonin in the brain can do a lot of different things to different people.

Quote:
The come-down always feels like shit, every time. You feel like shit, the world isn't a loving, mystical place anymore, and if you had some kind of wonderful bond with an e-buddy, that fades as well.
While I agree that the come down is not always pleasent I have had pills that have been perfect, quick, easy come downs. Others have been bad. Every pill is different (thank you United State Government for making it illegal and no longer pharmacutical quality), and because of that they will do different things.

I do agree however that you should be very careful when taking drugs. Check Pill Report websites for information about the pill you are taking.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:49 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ice
The thing with acid is you can't do it all the time. It builds up in your spine and your body doesn't expel it like it does eventually with other drugs.
Hey! this isn't the place for urban legends!

Hmm... I think I've done most every psychedelic drug imaginable. Bah! - I just smoke pot every once and a while anymore.

:sst, right on rob::
<Calllllie> silo's a badass....
Personally insulted by Cecil Adams.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:54 AM
BANNED
I forgot something,

there is one drug I have taken but have heard mixed things about. GHB. Every time I have taken it, it felt like an aware drunk. I was ROFL the whole time. I heard that it causes heart failure, but I think any drug could be unsafe when your dancing in 100 degree heat in Ibiza, and mixing it with e, k, or alcohol.

PS, if you do GHB, and it kills you, put in a good word for me when you get there.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:58 AM
I've only had one ecstasy experience, but it was nothing short of perfect. It was tested as pure MDMA, which may have had something to do with it.

The thing I liked about it is that you still see things for what they are, but you see them differently and feel them differently. Dancing with my girlfriend was amazing. (this was real hand-in-hand dancing, too. Not bump 'n' grind club stuff. it was Dean Martin, for those who were curious about the music)

I never thought I'd "recommend" a drug, but I would this. However, I could never use it regularly. It screws with your seratonin levels and your brain doesn't like that happening all the time.

The cool thing about E is that your memories are totally clear. I remember everything that I did and still remember how it felt. It's almost like you can relive the roll.

I had no come-down at all and wasn't even "e-tarded" the day after. I took a supplement called 5-HTP beforehand that may have helped. They sell it in GNC and similar stores.

Do try to get your pills tested, or at least consult with someone who's familiar with the different varieties. The information isn't THAT hard to get ahold of.

What does scare me is that I actually get cravings to do it again, like one would for pizza or another favorite food. But they also always go away, like any craving.

The poster previously known as SNenc.
Old 06-21-2001, 01:27 AM
BANNED
hehehe...

amistonedornot.com/
Old 06-21-2001, 02:13 AM
These days I get pretty high on life. It beats anything I ever tried.

Back in the day, my favourite drug was always 'shrooms, usually the heavily stepped on variety. I was a fiend for fungus. I always kept a little handy just to make things (usually people) a little more interesting, sometimes things got really interesting...

Like the night I spent talking with Jim Morrison in my car and the time I used the power of my mind to control gravity for an entire afternoon. If it hadn't been for me you all would have flown off into space.
Old 06-21-2001, 02:28 AM
I get a lot of really good buzzes by staying up WAY too long. The 2nd and 3rd day, whoa! And you can do it while posting too
Old 06-21-2001, 02:46 AM
BANNED
I love E. If you do it right, there are virtually no drawbacks to the whole experience. Knowing what's in it before you take it, staying well hydrated, and being in a comfortable environment have always resulted in wonderful rolls for me (robgruver called it a "wig"-- I've never heard that before, is it a geographical thing perhaps?), and the comedown usually isn't too bad.

Pot's always been a mixed bag for me, and sometimes with alcohol I act in ways that I later regret (surprise!). Sex is good but usually harder to come by than these others. (ho ho, i said sex is hard to come by, ho ho ho)
Old 06-21-2001, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by brother rat
I get a lot of really good buzzes by staying up WAY too long. The 2nd and 3rd day, whoa! And you can do it while posting too
A word of caution on this one: if you are bipolar (diagnosed or otherwise) and you sleep deprive yourself, you can induce a manic episode. (The cause/effect relationship between sleeplessness and mania works both ways.) Manic episodes are absolutely a great high. Right up until the time when you go completely psychotic.
Old 06-21-2001, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by White Lightning
(robgruver called it a "wig"-- I've never heard that before, is it a geographical thing perhaps
Wig is the used as such: "I want to wig." It can also be used as "I was really wigging at the party last night."

I have also heard it called Rolling, Tripping, or X-ing. There should be an entire different thread on this.
Old 06-21-2001, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Feynn
sometimes things got really interesting...

Like the night I spent talking with Jim Morrison in my car and the time I used the power of my mind to control gravity for an entire afternoon. If it hadn't been for me you all would have flown off into space.
By the way, I never got to say this: Thanks, Feynn! I was wondering who saved us all.
Old 06-21-2001, 03:50 AM
BANNED
I've done E a few times, but one time I mixed it with a lot of other drugs that apparently masked it's effects (took alcohol, LSD, pot, and E, and felt like I was on alcohol, LSD, and pot), one time it was probably bunk because I didn't feel much more than a slight buzz, but the last time was pretty good, though not worth the money in my opinion. I played some stuff on my guitar that is at the edge of my playing ability flawlessly, and spent several hours snuggling with my wife on the couch, just enjoying the feel of her skin.

Had mixed experiences with LSD, my best experience came when I also did about a quarter-gram of cocaine while tripping, which went against my expectations - coke often makes me feel very restless and uncomfortable and I thought that combined with tripping might be unpleasant, but the two came together like chocolate and peanut butter. I had a lot of fun, went outside and spent a while feeling the 'skin' on top of the water in a swimming pool, sat in my car in the dark and felt like I was inside a corpse, BUT IN A GOOD WAY (hard to explain), and then went inside and laid on my back on the floor and listened to Slayer's "Seasons in the Abyss" twice.

The first time I did crystal meth I thought I found my new drug of choice, but by the third time I didn't get that rush anymore so I quit doing it. That first time was awesome, though - I felt the rush for a good 6 hours, and after that felt very alert, confident, and happy for the next 40 hours or so.

My favorite, and the only drug I do regularly, is pot. I'd give it another chance if I were you, often it hits people really hard the first time, try taking just one puff and waiting a while before you do another, and eventually you will build up a tolerance.
Old 06-21-2001, 04:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by robgruver
Since Coldfire will not allow links, I can't place the cite for this, but it came from the US DOJ:
Department of Justice, I presume?

Links like that are OK. I was just trying to avoid links to various sites with questionable legality. I'm sorry for my first post in this thread, it wasn't clear enough.
Old 06-21-2001, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SNenc
I never thought I'd "recommend" a drug, but I would this. However, I could never use it regularly. It screws with your seratonin levels and your brain doesn't like that happening all the time.
Shit, I have to take meds to keep my serotonin levels at a normal level. No way in frickin' hell would I take this crap.
Old 06-21-2001, 11:51 AM
Just a little warning note on ecstacy. I've taken three times (Wow! Three whole times!) and the first two times was amazingly fantastically brilliant. The third time was again fantastically amazing, but the aftermath wasn't. It fucked my my seratonin levels for *weeks*. Seriously. For a while afterwards i was having panic attacks, was depressed. My point is that if you're going to do ecstacy, or any other drug for that matter, only do it if you're sure of your psychological stability. If you feel dodgy, don't do it.

The psychological effects can be indirect - the fact that it's impossible to be that gloriously, wonderously happy and loved up without chemical aid just depresses the fuck out of me.

The best advice of all: Be as safe as you can be when it comes to drugs. Physically and mentally.

Fran
Old 06-21-2001, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by robgruver
With all due respect the persons psycological and physiological makeup have a large part in the 'trip' of ecstacy. The release of seratonin in the brain can do a lot of different things to different people.
The current issue of Discover ( http://discover.com/current_issue/index.html ) has a pretty good article of the effects of serotonin on the brain. It deals with SSRIs but touches briefly on MDMA.

As for me, I would have a preference for LSD and mushrooms, except that I don't do drugs anymore.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:50 PM
Nyquil.

But I am experimenting right now with finding The World's Best Whiskey.

Eh, don't bother trying to find the best, cheapest, safest high.

Just stay high on life, man. Hm'kay?
Old 06-21-2001, 01:50 PM
Hmmm.. Recreational drug.... How's this?

Imagine the feeling of complete weightlessness. (Feynn was only half way there) Seeing things move and undulate in and out of your field of vision. Being able to float around, up and down at will. Feeling every oxygen molecule rush in and out of your lungs. Trip completely surrounds you for as long as you want it to. Coming down (or up) takes about about 1 minute (but can take as long as 20 minutes). It's completely clean and has no after effects (if your "come down" procedure is done correctly). No "sleepies", "munchies" or anything, and you can do it again after an hour or so. (Sometimes, you have a mild bit of dry mouth.) Interested? Scuba diving. As Jerry Garcia said after he got certified... If I had known about this 30 years ago, I wouldn't have needed drugs!
Old 06-21-2001, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Coldfire
Department of Justice, I presume?

Links like that are OK. I was just trying to avoid links to various sites with questionable legality. I'm sorry for my first post in this thread, it wasn't clear enough.
No problem Coldfire. I just wanted to make sure that I followed the rules that you set up in your post.

Here is the link for the above cite: http://usdoj.gov/dea/concern/mdma/mdma.htm
Old 06-21-2001, 05:39 PM
I'm a fan of pot
Alcohol
and
Tequila

but I think that the most awesome and exhilerating high is Adrenaline. you can get it anywhere, but the place where I've found the most of it is deer hunting, after you shoot a deer, you're high on adrenaline for about a half hour.

I've heard from a friend's dad that Peyote buttons are pretty cool, too. he said "you take one, and then you feel good. then you throw up, and then you feel REALLY good." he had them in Mexico, so it was legal
Old 06-21-2001, 05:41 PM
another fun one is natural endorphines.

I find that I get the most endorphines in the shortest amount of time when I run. after I'm running for about 15-20 minutes, I get the mystic "runner's High" where the brain goes overload and releases lots of endorphines. it makes you feel like you're floating along, and you also feel very euphoric.