Old 03-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Are Canada Goose Coats Worth It?

There are three things that are worth serious money; a reliable car, decent cell coverage, and a winter coat that will last 10 years and keep me warm in below zero weather.

I'm looking the Canada Goose Women's Snow Mantra Coat to replace my 10 year old Blue Skys coach's jacket. OMG. It's like a grand, and they never go on sale.

I expect a coat like that to last a decade. So, if you own one, is it worth it?
Old 03-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Sorry, MODs, I meant for this to go into General Questions or MPISMS.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:56 PM
Apparently they are quite good. Whether or not they're worth the money is your call.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:22 AM
Lots of places sell wonderful cold weather gear for a lot less. Do these things at least look good?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:26 AM
Graphite is a great
Moved to IMHO from CoCC.

samclem, moderator
Old 03-08-2015, 07:29 AM
Wow, that is the ugliest jacket I have ever seen in my life.

If you live in a very harsh climate and spend a great deal of time outdoors, maybe.

But I have a $400 North Face that I grabbed on sale for $200, and its been completely adequate to get me though a long partially-outdoor transit commute in single digits. I can't imagine an average person needing much more than that.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:32 AM
I have a Columbia coat with a lining that unzips and becomes a separate ski jacket. Polyester eider, no feathers leaking out. It's as warm and comfortable a coat as I've ever owned.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:38 AM
I've been wearing a hoodie all winter. Sure, I'm freezing my ass off, but I'll really appreciate spring.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:02 AM
I have a long wool coat and layer underneath as needed for the weather. It's not Minnesota cold here, but this year was pretty cold.

The key for me was having good socks (I've been wearing ski socks), boots, gloves (I bought liners), and earmuffs or a hat.

Of course, YMMV, etc.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:31 AM
You're buying a brand but anything down filled will do the job for a fraction of the cost. I've been wearing the male version of this with a polar fleece base layer for the past fiver years in winters reaching -40 with no problem at all.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Anything that results in less Canadian Geese in the world is absolutely worth it, yes. Canadian Goose coats, Canadian Goose underwear, Canadian Goose roadway cozies, yes, yes.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
Anything that results in less Canadian Geese in the world is absolutely worth it, yes. Canadian Goose coats, Canadian Goose underwear, Canadian Goose roadway cozies, yes, yes.
It's "Canada" goose. They have no nationality and shit with impunity across all borders.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Either way, I still blame Canada.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Charter Member
In 2005, I accepted a 2 year contract to work in Canada's arctic. I purchased a Canada Goose Snow Mantra. Without doubt, it is was the right thing to do. I don't know how much they're selling for now, but I paid about $600 CDN at the time.

Arctic weather is brutal. -40 to -50 for weeks on end. Winds hitting 30-40 mph regularly. The jacket performed incredibly well. It kept me warm at all times in all conditions.

Since moving back to the Canadian Prairies (cold, but not arctic cold), I wear the jacket when it hits -20 or so. Probably 2 to 3 dozen times each winter. The jacket has been quite durable with little evidence of wear and tear. Except for some slightly frayed cuffs, the jacket is in pristine condition.

There are a couple of downsides related to its size. It is difficult to travel with on an airplane. It's larger than most carry ons and finding space in tight overhead bins can be a challenge. Sliding in behind a steering wheel is like squeezing into a sardine can with the jacket's added bulk. Wearing the jacket while going indoors such as grocery shopping can become uncomfortable due to its warmth. But none of those issues are concerns when it's cold outside. The jacket keeps the cold and wind out.

It has proven to be effective and durable. A 10 year investment for sure. I'll still get close to another decade of regular winter use from it. Amortized over 10 years, it's cost me about $60 per year so far. Quite reasonable from my perspective.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 03-08-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:50 AM
No love for Fjällräven?

Best jacket I've ever owned, right here.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion_Wormer View Post
There are three things that are worth serious money; a reliable car, decent cell coverage, and a winter coat that will last 10 years and keep me warm in below zero weather.

I'm looking the Canada Goose Women's Snow Mantra Coat to replace my 10 year old Blue Skys coach's jacket. OMG. It's like a grand, and they never go on sale.

I expect a coat like that to last a decade. So, if you own one, is it worth it?
As others have said, there are other coats that can keep you warm. I like Canada Goose because they are made in Canada, so I know that the workers are treated well. I'm willing to pay the extra $$$ to know that I'm not supporting sweatshop labor. Whether you feel that way is up to you.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Canada Goose jackets were very high quality work coats that then became fashion symbols and 2-3x more expensive. They're now largely status symbols, like a rolex watch or gucci shoes. Whether that's worth it is up to you.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:52 PM
I did some flat water paddling in Alaska and we wore "immersion suits". We were told they'd probably keep us alive long enough for rescue . The suit was ungainly and unattractive.

Kinda like the coat.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:07 PM
I see people all over London wearing them and I can't figure out why they're not melting...this is definitely not the climate for this particular fashion statement. Of course they wear UGGS in August here so there's no accounting for taste really.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:26 PM
When we lived in the Yukon Territory, I bought a goose down parka and as I recall, it was about C$400 in 1969, a fortune at that time, but it was really worth it. Kept me warm in -65F weather. I finally donated it to the Sally Ann when we moved to much more temperate B.C. where it was just too warm even in cold weather. The hood was just as important as the coat, because it was more of a tunnel in front of the face, goose-down insulated and lined with wolf and wolverine fur. The fur was important because condensation wouldn't stick to it and kept my vision ice free. As I recall, Hudson Bay made the coats for severe northern service.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:22 AM
Been at 11-2 for 22 years now.

Layers. That's it.

Tee shirt, fleece, fleece or down vest, and a light coat usually. I keep a long shell coat with hood in the car, and another coat and blanket.

Gators for the boots and lower pants, and insulated North Face bib overalls with the above when I'm out in -0 for a few hours.

Stylin.

Umm... didn't address the OP did I. Well how long are you out in sub zero weather?

That's one serious looking coat. I would think though, with a layer or two, something from Patagonia, North Face or even, LL Been could work.

And really, while a pain to get in and out of at times, insulated bib overalls are your best friend in seriously cold weather.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:13 AM
Charter Member
"Been at 11-2..."

What does this mean? Anyone?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace,
but with humility comes wisdom.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:27 AM
11,200 feet? I know enipla lives at an appreciable elevation.

Last edited by lieu; 03-09-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
Yep.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
Yeah. Sorry, that's the way it's abbreviated up here.

People often talk of North, South, East or West. When we go to Denver though, we talk about going down.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Charter Member
So hipster, so now!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:29 PM
So thanks to everyone for your comments, suggestions and wit.

Critical_Mass's post convinced me it's too much coat for me.

I've tried other brands of coat and there's always either a 'not warm enough' issue, or a 'doesn't fit' issue, or a 'fall apart issue.' My last winter coat was canada made (just like the arm on the space shuttle!).

Anyway, I decided to go with a lighter Canada Goose coat, much cheaper, but doesn't have enough pockets for me. You could say I'm settling,.....now if I could only find a man I could 'settle' for, but that's another post.

Thanks to all!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Well, I'm a man who wears a forty year old Canadian parka that keeps me warm when Celsius and Fahrenheit meet, so if you ever find yourself in a snowdrift where Highway 61 ends . . .
Old 03-10-2015, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steken View Post
No love for Fjällräven?

Best jacket I've ever owned, right here.
Both my Winter and Autumn/Spring coats are Fjällräven. I won't buy anything else anymore.

Round these parts the Canada Goose jacket is a handy signifier for what you on the other side of the pond would call douches.

Last edited by amanset; 03-10-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
Both my Winter and Autumn/Spring coats are Fjällräven. I won't buy anything else anymore.

Round these parts the Canada Goose jacket is a handy signifier for what you on the other side of the pond would call douches.
I grew up in Sweden. When I was a kid, all the douchebags wore Canada Goose, as did the snotty rich girls (douchettes?). I wore North Face back then, but these days I'm all about the Fjällräven. Also my dad's old 70's Helly Hansen gear, another cult brand. Oh and I hear the real "fjällvandring" (hiking in the north of Sweden) fanatics are all about Lundhags hiking boots, but that's a story for another day.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:57 AM
The trick is to find good gear before a company starts producing for fashion markets. North Face being a case in point. Used to make bombproof technical clothing. Now it makes a lot of cheap crap.

Last edited by Muffin; 03-12-2015 at 09:58 AM.