Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 04-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 6,204
How long do you wear "two-week" contact lenses?

I wear Acuvue Oasys soft lenses. In theory, you are supposed to throw them away every two weeks (or twice a month). But I rarely think of it before three weeks have passed, and sometimes four! I never clean them; that seems to shorten their lives. Am I in for a world of hurt? Or is stretching them to three, four, or more weeks standard operating procedure? It certainly saves some money.

Just curious what experiences the rest of you have had. Thanks!
#2
Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,287
I wear the same brand, and I change them once a month. Those things are expensive! I clean them with ClearCare every night, which is the best cleanser out there (no rubbing involved).

If you wear them longer than intended and never clean them, well....that's asking for trouble, IMO.

Last edited by gallows fodder; 04-10-2015 at 07:46 PM.
#3
Old 04-10-2015, 07:50 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Peekskill
Posts: 385
*Not Professional Medical Advice!

I've cleaned and disinfected my daily disposables and gotten 7-8 days of wear out of a pair. My theory is that they are composed of the same exact material as the two week ones, same H20 and O2 content, so the only issue IMHO is the packaging.
#4
Old 04-10-2015, 07:54 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 1999
Location: da UP, eh
Posts: 13,107
I have one month contact lenses. I don't clean them, other than put them in one of those fancy solutions at night. I try to change them once a month, but in reality, I change them when they get crunchy. That works out to maybe every couple months. So far, I'm not blind, nor do I get infections, but my doc does yell at me occasionally.

I don't do it because I want to, I simply just forget, much like I also forget the vitamin-D pills I'm supposed to take once a month. It seems that I'm just not good at once-a-month things.
#5
Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Probably lost.
Posts: 1,935
By "never clean them," do you mean you don't use any sort of solution? Because I don't see how that's possible - they'd get incredibly dried out.

I'm a goody-two-shoes and try to throw them out after two weeks, though sometimes I might go for close to three. I have a bit of a phobia about going blind, and even though I know that's a very slight possibility, my attitude is you can't be too cautious when dealing with your eyes.
#6
Old 04-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 2,632
I wear monthlies and tend to change them every two months. I use opti-free replenish and give them a quick rub every night before putting them in the case. I have, on occasion, worn them for 3 months at a time if I'm waiting for my prescription benefit to kick in.
#7
Old 04-11-2015, 01:53 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
By "never clean them," do you mean you don't use any sort of solution? Because I don't see how that's possible - they'd get incredibly dried out........
Sorry; I meant that I never rub them with cleaning solution. I do soak them in Clear Care every blessed night. That's expensive enough.
#8
Old 04-11-2015, 04:22 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Any
Posts: 1,915
As long as you see an optician at the first signs of any trouble (seriously, you should) then keeping them in that hydrogen peroxide solution (not just saline) should easily be sufficient. I wore lenses from 12 to 38 and only had problems once, I had to apply an antibiotic gloop to my eye for a week which was not nice but the optician said I was at risk of going blind otherwise, so it was small beer.

Eventually my eyes said 'Nah, no more, enough' so I had laser surgery. 20/10 now in both eyes
#9
Old 04-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,486
I use one pair of two-week disposables for several months, but I don't wear them daily (usually once or twice a week, sometimes more depending on what I'm up to).

During stretches where I DO go to daily wear, I use Clear Care nightly and generally get 3-4 weeks.
#10
Old 04-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Hutchinson, KS
Posts: 3,229
Back when I was an optician we had a regular patient who bought something like a dozen six packs of two week disposables every month and only wore them once. She could afford it and preferred the feel of new lenses every day.

And JustinC, you don't see an optician if you're having trouble. You see an optometrist or ophthalmologist. But yes, contacts can really do a number on someone's eyes.
#11
Old 04-11-2015, 10:18 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY USA
Posts: 7,635
Long time contact lens wearer (first pair in 1980!) Always wore soft, started with daily wear, then extended wear, finally two-week disposables. The most important factor in length of wearing is not sleeping in them! As long as you take them out each night just use common sense in how long you feel they last. And as far as using cleaning solution on them, it's been my experience that the less you touch soft contacts the better. Always soak them in multipurpose solution each night.
#12
Old 04-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: DC
Posts: 19,401
Just chiming in to say you guys are all crazy. I've been wearing contacts since I was 10, and I've had it hammared in to me that not maintaining them is just asking for trouble. Not cleaning them??? Really???

But then, I was rigid gas-permables, which let you know pretty quickly when it's about time to take them out.
#13
Old 04-12-2015, 11:24 AM
BANNED
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY USA
Posts: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
Just chiming in to say you guys are all crazy. I've been wearing contacts since I was 10, and I've had it hammared in to me that not maintaining them is just asking for trouble. Not cleaning them??? Really???

But then, I was rigid gas-permables, which let you know pretty quickly when it's about time to take them out.
The difference between soft and rigid lenses is night & day. As long as you never sleep in them and disinfect them each night, rubbing soft lenses with cleaning solution isn't necessary. And it's like cleaning eyeglasses with Windex, it's simply too harsh and will wear them out prematurely (and make them feel uncomfortable in the process).

However, there is another big issue with hanging on to soft lenses too long: Protein deposits. It was discovered in the 80s that this was a serious issue with soft lenses. Consequently you then had to soak them in little vials in a solution made with tiny Alka-Seltzer-like tablets once a week because nothing else would remove them (huge pain in the ass!). This was the real impetus to switching everyone to disposables. You simply threw them away long before protein deposits ever had a chance to become an issue. And the thing is, because they are initially caused by proteins in human tears, once soft lenses are worn once protein deposits can & will form on the lenses even if they just sit in the case for too long (whether they're being worn or not). And these deposits can cause serious medical risks.

Therefore, once you open & wear a pair of disposables I would most definitely throw them away after no more than a month at most, regardless of wearing time.

Last edited by Hail Ants; 04-12-2015 at 11:26 AM.
#14
Old 04-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Elephant Whisperer
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 38,630
I've been wearing contacts for a little over two years now. After using dailies for a while, my eye doctor said I should move up to the two-week variety. Odd that he didn't know, but my prescription's not available in Thailand in the two-week variety. I could find only the monthlies. That was a disaster. I tried to clean them well, but still I managed to give myself an eye infection. Also kept tearing them before the month was up. Never again. Dailies only for me.
#15
Old 04-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 26,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
The difference between soft and rigid lenses is night & day. As long as you never sleep in them and disinfect them each night, rubbing soft lenses with cleaning solution isn't necessary. And it's like cleaning eyeglasses with Windex, it's simply too harsh and will wear them out prematurely (and make them feel uncomfortable in the process).

However, there is another big issue with hanging on to soft lenses too long: Protein deposits. It was discovered in the 80s that this was a serious issue with soft lenses. Consequently you then had to soak them in little vials in a solution made with tiny Alka-Seltzer-like tablets once a week because nothing else would remove them (huge pain in the ass!). This was the real impetus to switching everyone to disposables. You simply threw them away long before protein deposits ever had a chance to become an issue. And the thing is, because they are initially caused by proteins in human tears, once soft lenses are worn once protein deposits can & will form on the lenses even if they just sit in the case for too long (whether they're being worn or not). And these deposits can cause serious medical risks.

Therefore, once you open & wear a pair of disposables I would most definitely throw them away after no more than a month at most, regardless of wearing time.
The whole point of ClearCare is that it removes the protein deposits by soaking your lenses in Hydrogen Peroxide for a few hours instead of just saline. I don't know if that's the reason of not but I'm yet another person who, when switched over to ClearCare, immediately said 'wow, it's like wearing brand new contacts every single day'.

Last edited by Joey P; 04-12-2015 at 11:39 AM.
#16
Old 04-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,849
No offense Octarine but that's my user name almost everywhere only EXCEPT here and it drives me crazy, "wait I don't remember writing that..." Is a daily occurrence now.

Back on topic- I wear AirOptix 2week lenses for 5-6 weeks with clear care every night. I've been doing so for seven years now with no ill effects. It depends on your eye chemistry and how much protein your tears produce.
#17
Old 04-14-2015, 06:14 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 33,122
Back when I wore contacts, they were weekly, and I wore them for two weeks. I assume I would go a month with the others.

I found them more trouble than they were worth, though, as my eyes are narrow and I never got the hang of putting them in. Have they by any chance come with any the size of glass contacts?
#18
Old 04-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Any
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Back when I was an optician we had a regular patient who bought something like a dozen six packs of two week disposables every month and only wore them once. She could afford it and preferred the feel of new lenses every day.

And JustinC, you don't see an optician if you're having trouble. You see an optometrist or ophthalmologist. But yes, contacts can really do a number on someone's eyes.
Thanks for the clarification (pun thought of, discarded, then included because WTH).
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: masked the gash magnum calibers 19th century fox double cousins quinceanera gift etiquette quark pronunciation bik sticker bruises with knots los manos buying loose gems cocaine mummy games like clue major dickason's blend sunburn shower te quiero much victorinox battery replacement traffic breaks ion fan lasko heinlein coventry 100 oxygen like th lipstick fish doors bass caucasian capitalized windex for cars walgreens bathroom cobra auger expired bacon myspace music player cows screensavers buy caltrops pronunciation of maori mousepad yuku feet 100000 bond eyes glazing over best magnetic key holder single oversized oil drain plug can a fracture heal on its own shark attacks boat and sinks it casual dress for funeral pimentos in a jar soviet union at its peak sharp smart tv wireless keyboard animals that fight to the death can't catch me cause the rabbit done died is kool aid dye bad for your hair best place to buy porn dvds if a house is under contract can i still make an offer american league rules vs national league ammonia and bleach reaction formula ah ah ah ah ahhh song 2012 when did the royal family lose power in england x los angeles lyrics racist can coffee grounds go down garbage disposal ll bean fleece sheets how often should i change my brita filter can you make butter from half and half yabba dabba do magic trick moderation in all things including moderation sailing off the edge of the world rule number one the doctor lies ez pass no tag read should i tell my girlfriend i love her can you change godparents after baptism heavy whipping cream for coffee cell block tango translation english can the president get a divorce