Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 04-25-2015, 05:03 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 13,226
My microwave oven is making "cracking" noises while it runs...

...is that a bad thing?

It's kind of a cheap oven and about 12 years old. When I put some chicken mole in it a little while ago to heat up, it made a big crack sound, and then as it ran for two minutes, there was a series of smaller crackling sounds, sort of like crackling paper. The food heated up fine. Nothing burst into flames or anything,

Is it time to replace it?
#2
Old 04-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 5,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
...is that a bad thing?

It's kind of a cheap oven and about 12 years old. When I put some chicken mole in it a little while ago to heat up, it made a big crack sound, and then as it ran for two minutes, there was a series of smaller crackling sounds, sort of like crackling paper. The food heated up fine. Nothing burst into flames or anything,

Is it time to replace it?
Usually you get that sound, when there is metal inside. The crackling sound your hearing, may be electricity arcing. Was there an odd smell, ozone is kind of distinctive. So, yeah, my advice would be to send it to recycling and get a new one with annoying beeps.

Declan
#3
Old 04-25-2015, 06:58 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,056
paints on dishes that have metal can cause that to happen.
#4
Old 04-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 23,410
The standard test is to put a cup of water in it (use a Pyrex cup) and turn it on high for 1-2 minutes. If it makes the noise during that cycle, get rid of it.
#5
Old 04-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 13,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
paints on dishes that have metal can cause that to happen.
No metal. I was heating the chicken on a paper plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
The standard test is to put a cup of water in it (use a Pyrex cup) and turn it on high for 1-2 minutes. If it makes the noise during that cycle, get rid of it.
Ok. I'll try that.
#6
Old 04-25-2015, 09:38 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Taint of creation
Posts: 33,150
Check the turntable runway for debris. Running over dried food an oven can make very substantial noise.
#7
Old 04-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
...is that a bad thing?

It's kind of a cheap oven and about 12 years old. When I put some chicken mole in it a little while ago to heat up, it made a big crack sound, and then as it ran for two minutes, there was a series of smaller crackling sounds, sort of like crackling paper. The food heated up fine. Nothing burst into flames or anything,

Is it time to replace it?
Firstly, what the heck is 'chicken mole'?

Secondly, at 12-years-old, I would say that perhaps it's time for a new microwave. However, the crackling could have just been the food popping. That does happen and it's nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Miss Spaulding; 04-25-2015 at 09:40 PM.
#8
Old 04-25-2015, 10:02 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Alternate 230
Posts: 14,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Spaulding View Post
Firstly, what the heck is 'chicken mole'?
Chicken in a mole sauce.
#9
Old 04-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 13,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Spaulding View Post
Firstly, what the heck is 'chicken mole'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Only The Food of the Gods.
#10
Old 04-26-2015, 08:46 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 4,482
I get the same sounds from my microwave occasionally. It is well over 9 years old (it has been in my possession for at least 9 years; prior to that a friend used it in her office at work and she let me take it home when my previous one died). No obvious reason (I never put metal in, no dishes with metal trim, etc.) and it has no turntable. I have no idea why and was curious to see what answers you'd get. In my case I'll just use it until it dies a painful death and then decide what to get to replace it.
#11
Old 04-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,346
I always thought it was localized "superheating" of the food being warmed. I get pops and snaps a lot when I'm nuking anything soup- or stew-like.
#12
Old 04-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Chicago. Kind of.
Posts: 6,948
Along the same lines as what jz78817 said, there are some foods that when microwaved, always make that kind of noise for me. Chicken in any type of sauce is the main one.
#13
Old 04-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,056
chicken and ham can have pockets of liquid which explode in the microwave. small explosions can be crackling like.
#14
Old 04-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,206
Another microwave question: I accidentally ran my microwave last summer without putting food in it, and it burned a quarter size hole in the inside top. The microwave still works, though my wife and I are hesitant about using it. Any real danger from running the thing now?
#15
Old 04-26-2015, 12:12 PM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 16,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
Another microwave question: I accidentally ran my microwave last summer without putting food in it, and it burned a quarter size hole in the inside top. The microwave still works, though my wife and I are hesitant about using it. Any real danger from running the thing now?
It's possible that this will lead to Something Bad. The first rule of safety is to assume that all the other Bad Things that will lead to an accident have happened and you're just one step away from kaboom. So, assume the hole in the top is that one thing and that the other bad things have or will soon happen. The solution is obvious: chuck it. (Not Goodwill or anything.)

As to the OP: Sometimes crud buildup causes this. Thoroughly clean the inside of the microwave and try it. But you can't really clean the inside of the "horn" that feeds the microwaves into the box. Crud built up there is a major reason for shortened microwave lifetime. (And can be greatly reduced by covering things.)
#16
Old 04-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2014
Location: City of Destiny
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
...So, assume the hole in the top is that one thing and that the other bad things have or will soon happen. The solution is obvious: chuck it. (Not Goodwill or anything.)
Actually, in some states, thrift stores will take old in electronic items for free for the purpose of making sure they're recycled and not tossed into landfills and other areas, such as illegal dump sites. My state, Washington, is one of them. I doubt the smaller mom-and-pop thrift stores do this but check with Goodwill and the other larger chains in your area to see if they'll take your nearly dead microwave off your hands.

Last edited by Hopeful Crow; 04-26-2015 at 02:11 PM.
#17
Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 13,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Along the same lines as what jz78817 said, there are some foods that when microwaved, always make that kind of noise for me. Chicken in any type of sauce is the main one.
Well, that's exactly what I was microwaving--chicken in sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
... The first rule of safety is to assume that all the other Bad Things that will lead to an accident have happened and you're just one step away from kaboom. ...
Hmmm...I believe this is The Principle by which I live my whole life.
#18
Old 04-29-2015, 02:54 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 14,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Check the turntable runway for debris. Running over dried food an oven can make very substantial noise.
Also check for food scraps on the sides & top of the oven -- maybe not even very visible. Those too can cause noie while cooking.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: comcast directv 747 gas mileage nut breaker quid etymology academicpursuits.us jets canopy alton brown jerk water stopped running albanian curse words government powdered eggs slice frozen meat bad painting car horn wont stop blowing accidentally swallowed crest pro health mouthwash does the percent sign go in front can dogs have ham movies like legends of the fall and iiii eee iii song key stuck in ignition saturn ion what happened to danny on west wing why is uc berkeley called cal songs with flowers in the title pace picante new york city get a rope asbestos trust fund wiki