Old 06-27-2015, 04:39 PM
The Ford 3.5l FFV engine, your experience, need answer kinda fast

So, due to the vagaries of the galaxy, I might need a new truck very, very soon. All other options aside, I will be making a decision between one equipped with the 2.7l Ecoboost or the 3.5l FFV (Flex Fuel, specifically not the 3.5 Ecoboost.)

The problem is that no one in the area has a 3.5-equipped truck I can test drive in anywhere near my desired configuration.

I can find plenty of 2.7 Ecoboost, 3.5 Ecoboost, and 5.0 engines, but not the 3.5 FFV.

There's no known problems with them, there are just none to be tested. So I turn to the SD over any truck forums (well, actually "in addition to") because I typically find much more reasoned advice here.

I invite anyone with prsonal experience with this engine to please tell me what you think of it and whether you wish you had bought a different one.

My main concern is down-the-road repairs on a turbo engine vs. a naturally-aspirated one. I do tend to keep my vehicles for a long time and to take care of them in that period. I don't know if this is a groundless fear and there isn't enough long-term data for me to look at.

Extraneous data:
1. Although I need one soon, I have enough time to wait for some that are currently in transit if it's better to do so. Otherwise, I can take an in-stock 2.7 now. I wojld prefer to make a deal now while the 4th of July promotions arr in full swing, though, rather than wait.
2. I will be doing some light (<4000#) towing. Both engines are more than capable of that. I know the HP and other numbers. I want to hear from owners.
3. The EPA mileages for the two engines are within 1 mpg of each other, so not a big consideration. It about balances out to the difference in cost, over the life of the truck.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:01 PM
the reason you're not finding many is probably because the 3.5 NA is only available in the XL and XLT, and dealers probably have more of the higher trim levels on their lots.

the 3.5 non-Ecoboost is the same engine that has been used since 2006 in the Edge, Flex, Fusion, MKX, MKZ, Explorer, Taurus, MKS, Mustang, Mazda CX-9, and Mazda 6 (though a few of those were punched out to 3.7 liters.) any potential problems have been ironed out a long time ago. the kind of towing you're talking about (4000#) is within the capability of my 200 hp Ranger (5800# towing capacity.) You'll be fine with the non-turbo 3.5. I've driven (but not towed with) them. I've only driven one 2.7 EB truck, and it's torquier and accelerates better. since it's a new engine I can't say anything about reliability, but there haven't been any widespread major problems with the 3.5 EB. and the 2.7 incorporates some diesel-like features e.g. a compacted-graphite iron engine block.

Last edited by jz78817; 06-27-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Thank you
Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 AM
I have a 3.7 Ford engine in my Mustang. It's a Mazda design "cyclone" engine. The only design feature that I feel is sub par is the placement of the timing chains. One in the front, and one in the back of the other bank. That means when the time comes, getting both of them changed is not going to be cheap.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
I have a 3.7 Ford engine in my Mustang. It's a Mazda design "cyclone" engine.
No, the only current Ford engine with Mazda heritage is the 2.0/2.3 4-cylinder. Mazda uses the 3.5/3.7 Duratec in a couple of vehicles but it's a Ford engine.

Quote:
The only design feature that I feel is sub par is the placement of the timing chains. One in the front, and one in the back of the other bank. That means when the time comes, getting both of them changed is not going to be cheap.
you're thinking of the 4.0 Cologne SOHC V6, which was used in the Mustang up to 2010 (replaced in 2011 by the 3.7.) The 3.5/3.7 have the timing chainset all on the front of the engine.