Old 08-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Charter Member
Beanie-weenies

When was the last time you ate beanie-weenies? Either Beanee Weenees from a can, or homemade?

I can't remember how long it's been since I've had them. More than five years, and less than twelve.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
Don't you mean cigar butts in a gallstone sauce?
Old 08-14-2015, 05:01 PM
I actually almost bought some a week ago but I went with just the beanies sans weenies. I've probably had them some other time in the past 5 years though. Sometimes I get nostalgic for foods I loved when I was a kid and then I eat them and realize they were awful.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member
That's a go-to dish for me if I'm making a dinner for myself. Of course these days it involves a few more added ingredients and better quality hot dogs. Onions, peppers, bacon all make an appearance.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Crikeys! I'd never heard of it! I'll go and hunt up a can and get back to ya!

(James Coco, in "Murder by Death." "Good God! Franks and beans!")
Old 08-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
(James Coco, in "Murder by Death." "Good God! Franks and beans!")
Yep. But when I was a kid, they were always 'beanie-weenies'.

I think the last time I had them I used a can of pork & beans and a couple of sliced Hebrew National hot dogs.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Yeah, it has to be at least 20 years...

But I'm not inspired by the memories to go out and buy 'em.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Charter Member
Probably from a C-Rat can in the military, which was long ago.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Charter Member
Probably 6 months ago - it feels lie winter food to me. When it's cold out prolly every other week. It's quite cheap, yummy, and filling.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:30 PM
I'll have to admit that this is one of my guilty pleasures. I won't ever buy the pre-made, but give me a can of Bush's baked beans and a good all beef dog or two... toss them together and I'm one happy guy.

Sometimes I'll kick them up a bit with onion, peppers, bacon, etc. but I'm perfectly happy with just the basics.

As far as how long ago... probably a month or so. I guess I'm due. I may know what I'm having this weekend.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:47 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
When I was eleven, I joined the Boy Scouts and every time we went on a campout, the guys made beanies and weenies. It got old real quick, and that is when I learned to cook. Pretty soon, we were eating pot roast and peach cobbler. But I still remember the recipe for beanies and weenies: a large can of pork'n'beans, some onion soup mix, some ketchup, some mustard, some brown sugar and a package of cheap weenies cut into pieces.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Couple months ago.
I'll do spam and beans too.

it's not one of my favorites but sometimes I get a craving for it.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:19 PM
Last week. One of my go-to's since my wife and I have pretty much given up cooking. Also: sliced hot dogs in macaroni and cheese.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Just got back from the supermarket -- Albertsons, here in San Diego -- and they didn't have them at all! No "franks and beans" combo at all! They did have "pork and beans" but that doesn't include actual franks, just pork fat and gravy. (Which is fine; I love the stuff!)

I'll have to look farther afield! This might explain why I'd never heard of this product before; it might not be a regional thing here.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 PM
I eat beanie weenies often. I use pork and beans and good quality weenies with onions and ketchup added.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Just got back from the supermarket -- Albertsons, here in San Diego -- and they didn't have them at all! No "franks and beans" combo at all! They did have "pork and beans" but that doesn't include actual franks, just pork fat and gravy. (Which is fine; I love the stuff!)

I'll have to look farther afield! This might explain why I'd never heard of this product before; it might not be a regional thing here.
FWIW, I grew up in San Diego and we had Beenee Weenies there then.

Just get the pork & beans, and cut up a couple of hot dogs into it.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 PM
I make it fairly often. Gotta use Hebrew National dogs and lots of onion. If I'm not concerned about my blood glucose, I'll add a little brown sugar. Occasionally I'll get the pre-made little cans, but always regret it.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post

That's what I do. Honestly, it never occurred to me that it could be fancied up with additional ingredients.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:13 AM
Quote:
FWIW, I grew up in San Diego and we had Beenee Weenies there then.

It seems like cheating!

(I spent years trying to counterfeit Disneyland's "Mint Juleps." Cheating is sometimes okay!)
Old 08-15-2015, 12:15 AM
Charter Member
It's probably been decades. I was never a fan and it's not something I'd make for myself.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:16 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
That's a go-to dish for me if I'm making a dinner for myself. Of course these days it involves a few more added ingredients and better quality hot dogs. Onions, peppers, bacon all make an appearance.
WE had it for dinner last week. I have always added those three ingredients along with some minced garlic
Old 08-15-2015, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seal_cleaner View Post
Last week. One of my go-to's since my wife and I have pretty much given up cooking. Also: sliced hot dogs in macaroni and cheese.
Same here, 'cept I don't have a wife, I'm just a lazy bachelor
Old 08-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Charter Member
I grew up with a local brand version, but it's been many years since I last had them as my local supermarket doesn't stock them anymore. Might specially seek them out, actually, now that you've brought them up.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member
I haven't had them at least since I was a kid, and can't be certain I did then. I don't have any particular objection to them, but they aren't something I'd seek out, either.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Quote:

Would you normally buy hot dogs in a can? If not then don't buy the pre-made version. Just get a good canned baked beans and a package of your favorite hot dogs (you can even use smoked sausage or the sort if you want). Slice the dogs up and add them to the pan with the beans, heat it all up and you are all set.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:16 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
WE had it for dinner last week. I have always added those three ingredients along with some minced garlic
Garlic! I never thought of that. Good addition!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Charter Member
Yeah you gotta add good dogs to a big can of Campbell's beans.
Bacon, onion, brown sugar, and ketchup are a must.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Charter Member
No brown sugar. (Or baked beans.) Proper beanie-weenies are made with pork & beans.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Now I'm reminded of Grandma Brown's canned baked beans, made right here in the region. A pale pasty can of white cooked beans meant to be doctored up with whatever ingredients floats your boat. And hot dogs, or better - sausages - on the side. Those are good eats, different from the reddish sauce in Bushs beans (of which there seem to be a million versions now).
Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Probably 6 months ago - it feels lie winter food to me. When it's cold out prolly every other week. It's quite cheap, yummy, and filling.
Same here. We keep some on hand for snowstorm power failures. That's the only time we open a can, so we eat them cold.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
No brown sugar. (Or baked beans.) Proper beanie-weenies are made with pork & beans.
Correct! Using baked beans just makes it a cheap-ass cassoulet of some sort. Beanie-weenies are strictly pork & beans.

After decades of experimentation, I've discovered that hot sauce and a dollop of BBQ sauce can add a nice zing to beanie-weenies.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:20 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Beanie-weenies are strictly pork & beans.
Yes.
Quote:
After decades of experimentation, I've discovered that hot sauce and a dollop of BBQ sauce can add a nice zing to beanie-weenies.
Now, that's just crazy talk!
Old 08-15-2015, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Which is pretty much all you have to do to transform Pork and Beans into Baked Beans.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Charter Member
Nah. Baked beans have a lot more sweetener in them. All of the Bush's varieties, for example, are an invitation to diabetes.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:43 PM
I always browned the sliced hot dogs in a little butter before adding the beans.
Same thing if I am using cubed spam, brown it a little first.

If I'm using Campbell's beans I add a little mustard, catsup and brown sugar.
Bush's beans don't need anything else.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:47 PM
A couple of years ago I saw some microwavable "Franks and Beans" kiddie meals in a can at the local grocery and got nostalgic and went through a minor phase.

They were quite good in a comfort food sort of way once I doctored them a little with catsup and mustard.

Then the grocery stopped carrying them and I kind of forgot about them.

Until now, damn it. I'll have to start looking for them again, now I've got the craving.

Damn it.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:48 PM
I probably make them a couple of times a year, but I don't use the brand or any other versions of them. I use the Ranch Style Beans brand of beans (usually with the jalapenos) in it and some smoked sausage chunks. Some other hot sauce or BBQ sauce if I'm pretending I'm cooking and not assembling. And a side of cornbread.

It's cheap, quick and filling. It's mostly a winter thing for me though.

Although I had tons of the classic pork n beans and beanie weenies when I was younger, they are way too crazy sweet tasting for me now.

(And one of my favorite memories is of my younger sister (11 years apart) who LOVED beanie weenies and would do this odd frankenstein singing voice anytime she got them when she was a kid "Beanie Weenieeeees. Beanie Weeeeeeeeeeeenies." )
Old 08-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Charter Member
You are all in a conspiracy to make me break my reducing diet.

AREN'T YOU?

Old 08-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Charter Member
I'm inserting a hijack, which I hope doesn't derail the thread; but it's tangentally related.

When I was little my (eight years older) sister made this: Slice hot dogs longitudinally, not all the way through. Slice hot dogs laterally, not all the way through. Fill the lengthwise slot with Campbell's condensed Bean with Bacon Soup straight out of the can. Fold and bread American cheese into little rectangles. Insert the cheese rectangles into the lateral slots in the hot dog. Bake in the oven until it's heated through and melty.

I made this sometime in my early adultery adulthood. Wasn't as good as when I was a kid. Too salty.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Indeed, I ate a many bowls of that perennial “kid food”, beanie weenies as a child. Well, not exactly the type of beanie weenies I’m confident most of you ate, but my family’s version of beanie weenies—beluga oogas.

Our head cook always prepared quite elaborate multi-course meals for Mater and Pater and their snobbish guests, typically starting with an appetizer of hummingbird tongues marinated in a balsamic vinegar reduction, followed by 6-8 courses featuring mainly exotic and endangered animals, concluding with a thin mint wafer.

Yes, Mater and Pater et al ate well, but our kitchen maid usually served my siblings and me dinners with no more than 5 courses (I know, right?), the main often being lowly beluga oogas (i.e. bite-sized beluga whale “dogs” suspended in beluga caviar).

The sibs and I often rebelled at being served such plebian food by vomiting it all up in the kitchen on the shoes of our scullery maid (besides, blubbery whale meat didn't sit well in the stomach on our after-dinner fox hunts). I had a rough childhood.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Same here. In fact, I made them last night.

As for the canned stuff that goes by that name, maybe 1974.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Would you normally buy hot dogs in a can? If not then don't buy the pre-made version. Just get a good canned baked beans and a package of your favorite hot dogs (you can even use smoked sausage or the sort if you want). Slice the dogs up and add them to the pan with the beans, heat it all up and you are all set.
I am kinda fond of canned "Vienna sausages." But, yeah, a nice pack o' brats is much better.

Also...what is this "heat it all up" of which you speak? That does not translate properly into the language of my people.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Quote:
. . . Too salty.
This, too, does not translate properly. I have to presume that this thread is being occupied by aliens from some strange planet.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:18 PM
Graphite is a great
Quote:
I am kinda fond of canned "Vienna sausages." But, yeah, a nice pack o' brats is much better.

Also...what is this "heat it all up" of which you speak? That does not translate properly into the language of my people.
"Vienna sausages" pronounced by my Black students(and no doubt their white poor counterparts) in about 1968 as VI-eena sausages are an abomination. Unless you're poor, I will allow.

Last edited by samclem; 08-15-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:51 PM
Vienna sausages, slice lengthwise and eat between two crackers.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
"Vienna sausages" pronounced by my Black students(and no doubt their white poor counterparts) in about 1968 as VI-eena sausages are an abomination. Unless you're poor, I will allow.
I see your location is in Ohio. The same state with a city called LYE-muh.

(Not that you lived there in '68, but anyway...)