View Poll Results: Best wings?
Wingstop 9 13.64%
Buffalo Wild Wings 27 40.91%
Neither/I don't like wings/I abstain 30 45.45%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Wingstop or Buffalo Wild Wings?

Kind of like "Coke vs Pepsi" and "McDonalds vs Burger King"...you can only choose one here.

If your choices are just one of these two, not Wing Street, not Hooters, not anything other than Wingstop or Buffalo Wild Wings, which would you say has the best wings?

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 09-04-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Charter Member
Ya know, I have a Wingstop about two blocks from my house, and it's been there for like ten years or so, and I have yet to step foot in it. I need to do so for the sake of science! BW3's wings have been fairly disappointing the times I've visited. I've been there like a half dozen times, and every time (three different locations), I've gotten wings that were not crispy and tasted like they've been sitting around for awhile. I mean, the half life of a wing is about five minutes, so they really need to be served ASAP. (And I know you specifically didn't ask, but the couple of times I tried Hooter wings, they've been terrible.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-04-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:21 PM
I voted "I don't like wings." Wings belong in the stockpot, there's so little meat that actually eating them is silly, but they make great chicken stock.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:31 PM
I said Buffalo Wild Wings, because on balance, I prefer their wings. I end up getting Wingstop a lot more often, because they're close and have online ordering, which AFAIK, BW3 doesn't have.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post
I voted "I don't like wings." Wings belong in the stockpot, there's so little meat that actually eating them is silly, but they make great chicken stock.
To me, the whole point of a wing is for chicken skin lovers (like me.) It's a perfect ratio of anywhere from 1:1 to 2:1 or so of juicy, flavorful chicken meat to delectable skin. The skin is like crack to me. Better than bacon.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Ya know, I have a Wingstop about two blocks from my house, and it's been there for like ten years or so, and I have yet to step foot in it. I need to do so for the sake of science! BW3's wings have been fairly disappointing the times I've visited. I've been there like a half dozen times, and every time (three different locations), I've gotten wings that were not crispy and tasted like they've been sitting around for awhile. I mean, the half life of a wing is about five minutes, so they really need to be served ASAP. (And I know you specifically didn't ask, but the couple of times I tried Hooter wings, they've been terrible.)
I LOVE BWW, and (with the one here anyway) if you specify "extra crispy" they will make them that way (even putting a little sticker on the box that says "extra crispy") and they are DELISH and every bite crunches and crackles as you take one.

Maybe try that next time? Like, actually say it to them/specify it..
I know, I know...you might feel like you shouldn't have to specify wings to be crispy if it's a good wing place, but with some you do.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 09-04-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
I LOVE BWW, and (with the one here anyway) if you specify "extra crispy" they will make them that way (even putting a little sticker on the box that says "extra crispy") and they are DELISH and every bite crunches and crackles as you take one.

Maybe try that next time? Like, actually say it to them/specify it..
I know, I know...you might feel like you shouldn't have to specify wings to be crispy if it's a good wing place, but with some you do.
It's definitely worth a shot. I have no problem specifying such things when it comes to food items. It never occurred to me to try this for wings. I don't necessarily need "extra" crispy--just crispy is what I'm looking for, but this may do the trick.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Quote:
To me, the whole point of a wing is for chicken skin lovers (like me.) It's a perfect ratio of anywhere from 1:1 to 2:1 or so of juicy, flavorful chicken meat to delectable skin. The skin is like crack to me. Better than bacon.
To me, chicken skin gives me an immediate visceral reaction of "gross, gross, spit it out right now now now!" So I guess it makes sense that I wouldn't like wings.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:35 AM
Buffalo Wild Wings.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:49 AM
I usually love chicken wings, but the two times I've eaten food from Wingstop, they were almost inedibly overseasoned. Really really salty, with just far too much in the way of whatever flavouring blend shaken over them. So neither, assuming the other option has a similar method.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:00 PM
By coincidence, I was in a Wingstop last night (it's fairly new to my area, and the place I was planning on going was closed). I was impressed--not fantastic, but very tasty with the array of flavors (I pick mine on the hotter side). I've never been to BWW (they don't have one near here that I'm aware of), so my vote isn't balanced, just anecdotal.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Charter Member
I don't have any awareness of Wingstop. I've been to BWW a few times, though, and don't have any particular complaints about them. And they're one of the very few American chains which has hot sauces encompassing my range of preference (at most places, the hottest sauce available is somewhere in between what I would call "mild" and "medium").

The best wings I've had, though, were at a little family-run place just off the Villanova campus in the late 90s. I don't know if they're still in business.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:20 PM
I'm in the "I don't like wings" camp (for some reason, I never liked chicken that still had the bones in it), but I do prefer Wingstop over BWW for the fries - it's #2 on my fries list, behind In & Out.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Neither are in San Francisco.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Charter Member
Never had, or heard of, "Wingstop" or "Buffalo Wild Wings". Must be a pair of chains somewhere that I ain't.

Best local (NYC area) wings used to be at the Atomic Wings close to the Queensboro Bridge in Manhattan —order "nuclear" sauce and get a pilsener on tap to go with, good eating. ETA: I've heard they've gone downhill though

Best wings anywhere that I've ordered them were in Minneapolis' Nicolette Mall area, at a bar called the News Room, "rusty" sauce. Those people know how to make a sauce that will rock your head back and make you take notice.

Last edited by AHunter3; 09-05-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:41 PM
I haven't been to either chain. I know we have BWW around here. Not sure about Wingstop.

Even the people I know who like BWW admit that it's noisy and crowded. That's enough reason to stay home and make them myself.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Neither are in San Francisco.
None in San Francisco itself (or Marin, for that matter), perhaps, but they're all over the Bay Area. There are two Wingstops in Oakland, one in Emeryville, and one in Daly City. BWWs are a littler harder to find; there's one in Daly City, and one in San Ramon.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Never had, or heard of, "Wingstop" or "Buffalo Wild Wings". Must be a pair of chains somewhere that I ain't.
Wingstop is part of Pizza Hut. Many/most/all of them are combined places... I've never seen a stand alone Wingstop but they may exist someplaces. You may have heard of BW3's which is Buffalo Wild Wings (originally Buffalo Wild Wings and Wreck which accounts for the 3). There are about a dozen around Manhattan.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Never tried BWW, but isn't it the kind of place where you have wings and beer and watch a game? Wingstop has been mostly take out of a quick bite, in my experience.

NB: "wings" in this context usually means multiple sections, and only about half the pieces will be wing tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I'm in the "I don't like wings" camp (for some reason, I never liked chicken that still had the bones in it), but I do prefer Wingstop over BWW for the fries - it's #2 on my fries list, behind In & Out.
My #2 fries are In & Out, and my #1 is absolutely any other kind that is being put up against those soggy things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Wingstop is part of Pizza Hut. Many/most/all of them are combined places... I've never seen a stand alone Wingstop but they may exist someplaces. You may have heard of BW3's which is Buffalo Wild Wings (originally Buffalo Wild Wings and Wreck which accounts for the 3). There are about a dozen around Manhattan.
I think that's a NYC thing (cf: "Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell"). I haven't seen anything but standalone WS.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Charter Member
I'm a NYC guy, and I've never seen a Wingstop, neither standalone nor with Pizza Hut (not that I pay much attention to Pizza Huts). I don't especially like BWW so I abstained.

I haven't been to Atomic Wings this century, but they used to be real good.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:08 PM
I'm not a fan of chicken wings; too little meat for too much effort. Gimme a chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-A or Burger King, or chicken tenders, any day.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Charter Member
Actually none of the pieces will be wing tips: Those are seldom seen in the US at all. A full wing has three segments, not two.

And isn't Taco Bell under the same umbrella as Pizza Hut, too? How do Wingstop's sauces compare to Taco Bell's? I have a hard time imagining that a company afraid to sell actually hot sauces with "Mexican" food would sell them with wings.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:54 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
I like wings, but I'll eat something else before I'll eat any from those two choices.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Wingstreet is associated with Pizza Hut. Wingstop has no connection at all.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Actually none of the pieces will be wing tips: Those are seldom seen in the US at all. A full wing has three segments, not two.

And isn't Taco Bell under the same umbrella as Pizza Hut, too? How do Wingstop's sauces compare to Taco Bell's? I have a hard time imagining that a company afraid to sell actually hot sauces with "Mexican" food would sell them with wings.
Yum! Brands. Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC, WingStreet. Formerly owned A&W and Long John Silvers.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Charter Member
When did the A&W split happen? As of three years ago there was still a joint A&W/KFC store in Bozeman, MT.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
I'm not a fan of chicken wings; too little meat for too much effort. Gimme a chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-A or Burger King, or chicken tenders, any day.
There's a place here called Pok Pok. They've managed to find a source that raises chicken-zillas. The wings are huge and a half dozen is a meal. And they're fantastic.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Quote:
You may have heard of BW3's which is Buffalo Wild Wings (originally Buffalo Wild Wings and Wreck which accounts for the 3). There are about a dozen around Manhattan.
Not sure if this is a typo, but it was Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck, as in Beef on Weck which is another Buffalo food. Hot thin sliced roast beef au jus and horseradish on a kimmelweck roll, which is basically a kaiser roll sprinkled with coarse salt and caraway seeds prior to baking. I like wings okay, but I'll take a Beef on Weck over wings every time.

Last edited by Jake Jones; 09-05-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Jones View Post
Not sure if this is a typo.
Yes it was... not sure if it was auto correct from the computer or from my brain. I know it should be weck... so I will take full blame for the mistake.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howye View Post
Wingstreet is associated with Pizza Hut. Wingstop has no connection at all.
You are absolutely correct... I've apparently never seen a Wingstop. I'll just awkwardly bow out of this thread now.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Neither one is anything to write home about, but at Wingstop the flavors seem more cooked into the chicken than added afterward as sauces or rubs to precooked unflavored chicken.

Buffalo Wild Wings is a place to hang out, though. Wingstop is...like being at any fast food place.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
Neither one is anything to write home about, but at Wingstop the flavors seem more cooked into the chicken than added afterward as sauces or rubs to precooked unflavored chicken.
Buffalo wings are deep fried without preparation other than cleaning. They don't get any flavor until they're tossed in sauce after cooking. This isn't to say the the canonical Buffalo wing is the One True Way of chicken wings, just to note that flavoring after deep frying is traditional, so I don't think it's fair to criticize it as a shortcoming.

Furthermore, I don't know how you could get flavor into a chicken wing when deep frying and if you're not deep frying it, while it is certainly still a chicken wing, it is most certainly not a Buffalo wing. Even Buffalo BBQ wings get deep fried before being tossed in BBQ sauce and grilled on a pit. And if you put bread crumbs or batter on chicken wings prior to deep frying, you have definitely made food, but you have not made Buffalo wings.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:36 PM
I chose BWW.

I've only been to Wingstop once in the Chicagoland area. I think the wings are, for the most part, on par. I liked the Louisiana dry rub, and the Atomic. The Atomic had a bit more tang than BWW's Blazin'. I prefer the Blazin' sauce, but the Atomic was a nice change of pace.

My above all favorite sauce is BWW's Thai Curry. If they had something like this sauce at Wingstop I think it would close the gap. I'd love to find this recipe so I could make it myself.

Frankly, BWW is overpriced, but their wing Tuesday's make them a tad more reasonable. Wingstop seemed a bit better price wise, but then they're really meant to be more of a takeout place (from what I gathered).
Old 09-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Where I live, Pizza Hut sells wings that are branded on its menu as "Wing Street." I don't know about Wing Stop. There is a BWW by a Walmart in between an Olive Garden and a Panera Bread down the street. I stopped at a BWW once after my son's eye doctor appointment and we ate burgers and my kids played on the tablets.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Jones View Post
And if you put bread crumbs or batter on chicken wings prior to deep frying, you have definitely made food, but you have not made Buffalo wings.
Amen. Wings can be breaded, but when I see something labeled "Buffalo wings" on the menu, they sure as heck better not have any bread (or batter) on them. Naked wings, tossed in Franks (or other Louisiana style hot sauce) and margarine/butter and perhaps some ancillary spices and flavorings, but that's the base. In general, I do enjoy the occasional breaded chicken wing, but to me that's like breading bacon.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:26 PM
I have been to both of these establishments and can safely say they are among the worst restaurants I have had the displeasure of visiting. Went to BWW for a post-sport season party with a large group - the place was crowded and VERY noisy - to the point you could not hear the person next to you. The food was horrible - we got some appetizers thinking they would be safe, along with wings - everything was terrible, and the ghastly dipping sauces tasted like they spent too long in a plastic container. Nothing at all was "fresh".

My son likes Wing Stop for some reason - so I went there with him prior to a pro basketball game a while back. We just wanted a quick bite. I think I got 6 wings, but the 6th one was just batter shaped like a wing. The sauce was okay, but the whole experience was a disappointment - it seems like food for 6=year-olds. That said, I would have to give WS a half-star above the horrible BWW (which gets 0 stars).

If I never visit either place again it will be too soon. I've had better buffalo wings at a work dinner at Applebees. Since wings is the main business for BWW and WS, youd'a thought they would be able to do better.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Charter Member
I love BW3’s, and not just because of the wings. One must not be afraid to send them back, though, because sometimes they will bring you non-fresh wings if it’s not particularly busy. Because I’ve never been to a Wing Stop, I will have to avoid participating in the poll.

Looking at their restaurant locator near my home ZIP code, it appears they all seem to be in parts of the urban area that I would never visit, and so it appears unlikely that I will have a chance to test WingStop.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:48 AM
Charter Member
Only way to prepare a chicken wing for eating is to stuff it with pork, vegetables, and glass noodles; fry it; and serve it with plum sauce. It's so heavenly that every Thai restaurant I've found them at calls them "Angel wings."
Old 09-07-2015, 10:11 AM
born to be shunned
BWW but mostly because the ones I've been at have had really great service; the wings actually rate about the same to me.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:17 AM
I've never been to a Wingstop. Have been to BW3s a few times. I don't much care for it, mainly because it's so damn LOUD. There are 80 TVs blaring in your ears and the sound bounces off the walls.

Maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Charter Member
I didn't vote because I've only been to Buffalo's Wild Wings.

However, If you're ever in the Atlanta area, I'd like throw a plug to my real favorite wings dive: Clay's Sports Cafe
Old 09-09-2015, 02:49 PM
We don't have Wingstop here that I know of so by default I would have to vote for BWW but beyond that I wanted to give BWW props for having spicy wings that are sauceless. I hate saucey wings. They can have the sauce baked on but I hate when wings are dripping with sauce.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Only way to prepare a chicken wing for eating is to stuff it with pork, vegetables, and glass noodles; fry it; and serve it with plum sauce. It's so heavenly that every Thai restaurant I've found them at calls them "Angel wings."
Wow, so that's what they're called. Thanks! I've had them in Taiwan (鳳凰展翅 'Phoenix Wings') where they were stuffed with ham and sticky rice, parcooked and then grilled to order. This youtube video shows a Cambodian variant that looks mighty tasty too.

However, the highest expression of fried chicken is arguably Korean Fried Chicken.

Oh, and about the poll; neither BW3 nor Wingstop are anything special. Any decent supermarket or Chinese take-out crushes them in terms of price, quality and freshness. I guess since BW3 has a slightly wider sauce selection it gets the nod.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Between the two, I prefer the chicken at WingZone but prefer the choice of sauces at BWW. Overall, I prefer a third chain over the other two: Buffalo Wings and Rings. They have 5 levels of mild-to-spicy on each flavor offered.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
We don't have Wingstop here that I know of so by default I would have to vote for BWW but beyond that I wanted to give BWW props for having spicy wings that are sauceless. I hate saucey wings. They can have the sauce baked on but I hate when wings are dripping with sauce.
You should consider ordering wings with sauce on the side or get the BWW naked tenders with sauce on the side. I also dislike too much sauce especially when there's a pool of sauce in the box making the chicken all soggy.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:58 PM
I luvvvv wings, but neither of the two chains mentioned do much for me. They are ok, but not even close to great.

In my former area, the Midwest, my favorite chain was Wings, Etc.

In my current area, Denver, my favorite place for wings is a stand alone spot called the Wing Hut that is conveniently located a few steps away from my favorite craft beer tap room, Dry Dock Brewing.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:27 AM
The Central Scrutinizer
Coincidentally I first heard of Wingstop yesterday. Apparently they are opening a second location in New Jersey. I didn't even know about the first one. Their locations are in Newark and Elizabeth so my chances of going there are pretty much zero. BWW wins by default. Their wings are very good but not great. Very good onion rings too.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
None in San Francisco itself (or Marin, for that matter), perhaps, but they're all over the Bay Area. There are two Wingstops in Oakland, one in Emeryville, and one in Daly City. BWWs are a littler harder to find; there's one in Daly City, and one in San Ramon.
There's also a new one in Union City, not far from where I live.

Regarding the question, I'd give my vote to Wingstop. The chicken just tastes better, crispier. But it's close -- BWW has some very good sauces.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Ya know, I have a Wingstop about two blocks from my house, and it's been there for like ten years or so, and I have yet to step foot in it. I need to do so for the sake of science!
Well, I finally did it last night, and set myself up with an order of ten classic (none of this boneless crap) atomic wings. And I have to say, I did enjoy them. The were nice and crisp, reasonably sized wings. The atomic sauce (their hottest sauce) itself was a building heat, with a lot of peppercorn flavor on the back end. Like with the Anchor Bar's suicide wings, the black pepper (and possibly pink pepper it tasted like to me) got a little bit overbearing after three or four wings. Now they really did bring the heat with this one. The first wing or two didn't seem like much, but when I got down to the final two wings, my mouth was certainly aglow and getting to the point where it was getting painful. Good job on these and actually making the spiciest wings pretty damned spicy as well as flavorful.

The only complaint I had was that the sauce was a little bit on the thick/gloppy side. I tend to like my hot wing sauces to be more of a glaze-like consistency. It was almost like I was getting a bit too much sauce in each bite. But other than that, no real complaints. Next time I'll try the normal Buffalo sauce. I'll also now have to refresh my memory of BW3.