Old 09-07-2015, 02:58 PM
What is ActionUri OOP Server? (Windows 10)

What is ActionUri OOP Server?

Since I updated to Windows 10, I occasionally have noticeable slowing down. When I bring up the Task Manager, I find at least one copy, and sometimes several copies, of "ActionUri OOP Server" running, and using system resources. If I kill them, the system noticeably improves, but it comes back again after a while (not right away, but eventually).
Old 09-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Part of Cortana, apparently. Do you still have it turned on?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:40 PM
I found that Windows 10 speeds up considerably when I tell it I'm on a "metered connection" in the networking section. That is, I tell it that I have a data cap, so it gets much less profligate in wasting my available bandwidth for its own nefarious purposes. I'm lying to it, but it works.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
Part of Cortana, apparently. Do you still have it turned on?
Yeah, I do. I guess I could turn it off, I hardly ever use it, and I have Google on my phone to look stuff up for me.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:33 PM
So how do I turn Cortana off?

I looked up the procedure online and got this:

Quote:
Cortana is on now. Use the search icon in the lower-left corner of your desktop to type a question for her. Or hit the microphone icon and talk to her. (You'll need a mic to talk.)

To switch off Cortana, click the Search bar on your desktop, and then click the icon in the upper left to get to Settings.

To switch Cortana back on, go to Settings.
What Search bar on my desktop?