Old 04-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
It's forcible entry with a prybar - continuing to break in after being warned. That fact pattern is a good shoot in any jurisdiction in the US.
Really now? I hope you are correct. Again IANAL (and IANAE) but in California I am not sure that shooting someone through a closed front door, even after the screen door has been pried open. How does the resident inside the front door know that screen door was pried open? I don't think s/he could see that it was. I am not sure that a jury of my peers would call that a reasonable use of deadly force. I believe the shooter, if this was California, would have to wait until the front door was breeched and the intruder started entering - that is when the threshhold has been breeched.

And even at that point, some jurors might not see the shooter's fear of harm being a reasonable use of deadly force.

Again I hope you are right here. I need to brush up on California law.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Really now? I hope you are correct. Again IANAL (and IANAE) but in California I am not sure that shooting someone through a closed front door, even after the screen door has been pried open. How does the resident inside the front door know that screen door was pried open? I don't think s/he could see that it was. I am not sure that a jury of my peers would call that a reasonable use of deadly force. I believe the shooter, if this was California, would have to wait until the front door was breeched and the intruder started entering - that is when the threshhold has been breeched.

And even at that point, some jurors might not see the shooter's fear of harm being a reasonable use of deadly force.

I am a gun owner and a strong 2nd Amendment supporter, and a strong believer in self defense, but I have to say I don't disagree. I cannot easily imagine shooting through a closed exterior door, obviously not knowing who is on the other side and what exactly is going on. I think I would move as far away as I could while still being able to see the exterior door, and hold my gun ready to shoot if the intruder gets inside. I'm not saying the resident should be charged, let alone tried in court, but I'm a bit uneasy about the situation.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Quote:

Of course a jury can decide - and the 58 different district attorneys in CA can interpret the law differently, but here is the relevant penal code:
197. Homicide is also justifiable when committed by any person in
any of the following cases:
2. When committed in defense of habitation, property, or person,
against one who manifestly intends or endeavors, by violence or
surprise, to commit a felony, or against one who manifestly intends
and endeavors
, in a violent, riotous or tumultuous manner, to enter
the habitation of another for the purpose of offering violence
to any
person therein; or,[/quote]
A bare fear of the above is not sufficient - the circumstances must be sufficient to excite the fears of a reasonable person and the party killing must have acted under the influence of such fears alone.

Once a person has forcibly entered a residence, then the resident is presumed to have had the fear to meet the requirement in section 198.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Man i screwed up that quote. At least the link works. I too would be uneasy to shoot through a door without visibility to the target. Rule 4 and all. Though it's not clear if the person was visible through the door - could be translucent, security cameras, etc.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
I am a gun owner and a strong 2nd Amendment supporter, and a strong believer in self defense, but I have to say I don't disagree. I cannot easily imagine shooting through a closed exterior door, obviously not knowing who is on the other side and what exactly is going on. I think I would move as far away as I could while still being able to see the exterior door, and hold my gun ready to shoot if the intruder gets inside. I'm not saying the resident should be charged, let alone tried in court, but I'm a bit uneasy about the situation.
Roughly 15 years ago I was renting the second floor of a house. The only way in or out was through a door and up the stairs to my "apartment".

One summer day I was home alone, with the downstairs door open but the screen-door locked, for ventilation. A man began banging on my door. I, not expecting anyone, ignored him. He began screaming and kicking at the door. I realized if he broke through the door I had no way out, other than jumping out a window.

I got my gun and called the local police. I told the dispatcher what was going on and asked that she alert the responding officer that I was armed and planned on shooting in self defense if it came to that.

Then I cautiously walked 3/4 of the way down my stairs until I could see the guy. I yelled and he saw that I was pointing my gun at him. I told him the cops were on their way, but that if he breached the door I would empty my gun into him. That made him stop and think, but then he began wrenching the door again, yelling that he just wanted to talk with her.

The cops arrived and cuffed him. Turns out he was drunk and thought some woman he was seeing lived at my address. The cop told me he thought I handled the situation appropriately.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:08 PM
A similar situation happened just a few months ago to a family friend. The friend is a 25 year old woman who lives alone. She owns a pistol and has practiced with it, with her dad. She was at home one night and someone started banging loudly at the door, turning the door knob and yelling. She grabbed her pistol and shouted through the door for the person to leave, and that she had a gun. They continued yelling and trying to get in. Our friend called 911 and said someone was forcibly trying to break into her townhouse, and that she would shoot if they got in. She continued to shout for the person to leave. Thankfully, the guy never got in, and she never fired a shot.

The cops showed up fairly quickly, and it turns out it was a very drunk guy who had the wrong townhouse. He thought he was trying to get into his own unit and was yelling for his roommate. My friend was very shaken and very upset, and told the cop if the guy had broken in she would have shot him. The cop told her she would have been entirely in the right to do so.

Another situation where shooting through the door would have been a very bad thing to do, even if possibly lawful on the part of the resident. Unfortunately, determining who is a harmless drunk and who is a crazed, dangerous intruder isn't easy. I haven't gotten a chance to talk with this young lady about the incident, but was told about it by her mother.

Last edited by Orwell; 04-07-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:33 PM
A similar situation happened to a business associate. In California, Santa Clara County. Late at night, her husband out of town, her 5yo daughter asleep in the bedroom. Loud knocking on the door, and she's not expecting anyone.

I don't have complete details - not wanting to pry (much), business associate and not a close friend, etc - but what appears to have happened is that she gets her pistol, moves to the front door and stands about 10-15 feet away, pistol at the ready, locked and cocked and pointed down 45, and she is ready to identify then shoot in case the person enters. The man is banging on the door and shouting loudly to let him in. She looks quickly through the peep hole, she doesn't recognize him and he's holding a cell phone to his ear, and she returns to her ready position.

The man is now yelling, "What do you mean you can't hear me knocking? I'm right here at your door!" Presumably on the phone.

A little later the ruckus stops. The guy leaves. Apparently he had the wrong address. She was ready to shoot if needed, if he entered. She did not have time to get her phone.

Fortunately, DG at the ready, not used, not needed.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Oops I meant Alexander Hamilton. Didn't he shoot and miss before being killed by Aaron Burr? Rhetorical question, really. Not important. The main thing is that with a pistol it is so easy to move your wrist while pulling the trigger that you miss a target even 5' away.
As I understand it, he didn't miss, but it was either a misfire (pulled the trigger too early?) or else he intentionally fired away from Burr, as was custom during some duels when you had no intention of harming the other person but didn't want to back out.
Quote:

I don't know the rule in general, but there is nothing special about CA despite their gun laws. It is actually a Castle doctrine state. I do believe that other people have done similar and not been charged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
I am glad that it worked out, but it is possibly a violation of the 4th rule.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:29 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
If he has a crowbar, breaking into the house, open the door and say, "Come on in, Mother Fucker!"

One must be legal before one shoots someone.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:41 PM
Clicks on 'LIKE' button
Old 04-08-2016, 11:21 AM
In other news, Police: Homeowner Fights Back Against Home Invaders
Quote:
t happened shortly before 5:30 p.m. in the 2800 block of Eastwood Drive near Welika Drive. Police said the resident, 28-year-old Tim Hernandez, tousled with the burglars, retrieved his weapon, and opened fire on them.

One of the suspects was found dead in the yard of a neighboring home. Police said the man may have been trying to impersonate a police officer or security guard, as they found a security badge and zip ties on him.
Police said the second suspect jumped into a car with a woman, who was possibly the getaway driver, and ended up at the Zaxby's in the 3400 block of Memorial Drive near Columbia Drive. Witnesses called 911 after the suspect fell out of the vehicle in the parking lot. The man was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

The woman was apprehended at the scene. The names of the suspects have not yet been released.
DGU with 1 death. 2 attackers impersonating police and the resident prevailed, though another resident seems to have suffered a heart attack while being beaten.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Police said the resident, 28-year-old Tim Hernandez, tousled with the burglars,
Wut? He mussed their hair?
Old 04-08-2016, 11:31 AM
To make him look presentable before shooting him, for the police photos. It's the polite thing to do, dontcha know.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:27 PM
GA so in a lot of the South we will say tussled if it is just a short fist fight with no big injuries & this is what the reporter was saying, wrong in this case even if he got the right word. He was probably tired of saying, 'fighting or fought' because his editor was on his behind about grabbing readers attention.

....................... or not .................
Old 04-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusNSpot View Post
GA so in a lot of the South we will say tussled if it is just a short fist fight with no big injuries & this is what the reporter was saying, wrong in this case even if he got the right word. He was probably tired of saying, 'fighting or fought' because his editor was on his behind about grabbing readers attention.

....................... or not .................
Yeah' I assume the reporter used the wrong word and spellcheck didn't complain...
Old 04-08-2016, 03:31 PM
I saw a person on Judge Judy one time say, "Me and him commenced to tussle."
Old 04-10-2016, 02:32 AM
In other news, Police Say Fatal Garland Shooting Was Self-Defense
Quote:
According to police, the suspect was at the shooter’s home and the two men got into some sort of argument. The suspect left the scene, but a text message to the homeowner from the suspect’s ex-girlfriend, received a short time later, warned that he was coming back and for the homeowner to be careful.

That man parked down the street from the home and walked back to the house.

In anticipation of the suspect’s return, the homeowner kept a lookout on his home security camera. Police said, as he waited, watching, someone cut the camera wire and the screen went dark. The homeowner then went outside armed with a gun.

“Homeowner has cameras, saw one camera stopped working,” said Lt. Pedro Barineau with the Garland Police Department on Friday morning. “Suspect was across the street and came at him in an aggressive manner, came onto his property.”

Police explained that the suspect was yelling and approaching the homeowner with something in his hand. The homeowner felt threatened by the man and opened fire, killing that man in the home’s driveway. Barineau continued, “The homeowner feared for his life and shot him.”
DGU with one death. I wouldn't advise exiting the house generally. Though cutting the security camera wire is a sign of being up to no good.

In other news, Homeowner pulls gun on would-be thieves, deputies say
Quote:
The homeowner confronted two men who he said went into a storage building behind the home. After the homeowner confronted the men, they locked the door of the building, the release said. When the homeowner got a gun and told the men to come of the building, they came out.

Deputies said they arrived about three minutes later. They said they found a pair of amplifiers in a wooded area behind the storage building and a box of O-rings in the pocket of one of the suspect’s that belongs to the homeowner.
DGU with no injuries. Based on what they were stealing, these guys seem like idiots.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:30 AM
In other news, Suspect Shot, Killed During Store Robbery in Deerfield Beach: BSO
Quote:
Investigators said an armed, masked suspect walked into Snappy Convenience Store at 115 Southeast 10th Street around 7:40 p.m. Friday with intent to rob the store.

BSO said two clerks pulled their own guns and shot the suspect multiple times, killing him inside the store. It's unknown what was said between the suspect and clerks.
"That suspect came to the store with the intent of robbing it. He was wearing a mask and gloves. Multiple shots were fired. He died in the store," said Gina Carter with BSO.
DGU with one death. The numbers were flipped in this incident than what has been posted before. This time it was one armed robber vs. two armed employees and it ended up with the robber being shot multiple times and dying.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:39 AM
Snappy, indeed!
Old 04-11-2016, 11:30 AM
In other news,
Quote:
Shermond Luckey, 35, and 24-year-old Demari Williams were each charged with two felony counts of attempted armed robbery with a firearm, according to Chicago Police.

They walked into a store in the 2000 block of East 95th Street a few minutes after 11 a.m. Wednesday and announced a robbery, police said.

A man who works at the store shot them, police said. The suspects fled the scene and later walked into South Shore Hospital.

Luckey was shot in the left arm and groin, and Williams was shot in the left arm and abdomen, police said. Both were transferred in serious condition to Stroger Hospital.
DGU with no deaths. 2v1 and the one prevailed, hitting each of the robbers twice. It seems the older of the two robbers is a felon and was on parole.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Quote:
In other news,

DGU with no deaths. 2v1 and the one prevailed, hitting each of the robbers twice. It seems the older of the two robbers is a felon and was on parole.
That was in Chicago IL's Calumet Heights, on the south side. I found a link: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/01/...heights-store/

Mr. Luckey was shot in the groin, among other places. He apparently deserved it. Not so lucky was that Luckey.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Oops, forgot the link. Yes, that's the one.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Oops, forgot the link. Yes, that's the one.
Easy to find, with the text you provided.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:24 AM
In other news, Man shot by Ark. homeowner during alleged robbery
Quote:
The burglary victims told police that a 17-year-old suspect they know knocked on the door and asked for a cigarette. While the victim reached for one, another suspect barged in wearing a bandanna and pointing a pistol.

Jefferson says the homeowner reached for his own pistol and fired at the man, who returned fire. The two suspects fled the area.

The second man was found nearby suffering from gunshot wounds. He's currently at a hospital in Memphis, where his condition is unknown.
DGU with no deaths. 2v1 and the one prevailed. Apparently it was an acquaintance, though I'd be hard pressed to open the door at 11pm at night. Another instance where the robber was shot and able to get himself to a hospital.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:43 AM
The NRA has instituted a 20-day waiting period and an 18-page application...to be able to access its Eddie Eagle mascot costume.

Good job, NRA! You are keeping America safe from attacks by unauthorized Eddie Eagle impersonators.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 04-12-2016 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added link, fixed grammar.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:20 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator Action:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
The NRA has instituted a 20-day waiting period and an 18-page application...to be able to access its Eddie Eagle mascot costume.

Good job, NRA! You are keeping America safe from attacks by unauthorized Eddie Eagle impersonators.
This is an official warning. Stop threadshitting. If you want to start your own thread about what is in the link go right ahead. Or post it in the omnibus Pit thread. Since you started the ATMB thread about this one you obviously are doing this to make a point. Cut it out. Stay away from this thread if it is bothering you so much that it is making you break the rules.

Edit: After discussing this with the poster I will clarify. Posting a clip which is anti-NRA but is not related to this thread is more of a hijack than a threadshit. More importantly it goes against the previous instruction in this thread (and the discussion in the ATMB thread) to not turn this into a debate about gun control or Pit of the NRA. As with any instructions we don't need to name each individual poster to let you know that further hijacks will not be allowed.

Last edited by Loach; 04-12-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:44 AM
In other news, Good Samaritan helps detain armed robber at Anchorage 5th Avenue mall
Quote:
Police spokeswoman Anita Shell said in a statement Sunday evening that about $1,200 in goods from the robbery's target, the Buckle Clothing Store, were recovered during the arrest of 18-year-old Yan Bangout. Nobody was injured during the incident.

“Employees believed the man was attempting to conceal the clothing in a bag while in the fitting room and alerted mall security,” Shell wrote. “As the suspicious man left the store, he was confronted by mall security and a struggle ensued over the bag containing stolen goods. During the struggle, the suspect drew a gun from his waistband; however, a good Samaritan, also armed with a gun, stepped in and assisted security in taking the man into custody.”
DGU with no injuries. Is it just me, or is it normal to expect a high ratio of people being armed in Alaska?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Quote:
DGU with no injuries. Is it just me, or is it normal to expect a high ratio of people being armed in Alaska?
Yes, but also, there's no limit to stupidity.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Is it just me, or is it normal to expect a high ratio of people being armed in Alaska?
The wildlife there is a little more dangerous than elsewhere, is it not? And do not many more people there go hunting?
Old 04-13-2016, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
The wildlife there is a little more dangerous than elsewhere, is it not? And do not many more people there go hunting?
True on both counts. Plus, with the wide open spaces and distances, you can't exactly count on police being just around the corner. In addition, Alaska and Vermont were the original two "constitutional carry" states where you didn't need government permission to carry either openly or concealed.

Quote:
Yes, but also, there's no limit to stupidity.
I don't understand this statement, or to what it refers. In a general sense, it's probably a truism, but I don't get the reference.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:19 PM
The idea is that there is an expectation for people to be armed in Alaska, so to engage in robbing clothing stores is stupid. But since there is no limit to stupid behavior, stupid behavior still happens.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:37 PM
Quote:
The idea is that there is an expectation for people to be armed in Alaska, so to engage in robbing clothing stores is stupid. But since there is no limit to stupid behavior, stupid behavior still happens.
Got it. Makes sense.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:38 AM
In other news, UPDATE: Robbery suspect shot by store owner
Quote:
It happened Saturday morning at the Sunoco, better known as the Pit Stop, on Route 52.

Deputies say a key holder/employee of the convenience store got a notification that an alarm was going off.

When they got there, they say they found a man inside the store packing up merchandise and putting it into a bag.

Deputies say the suspect and the employee then got into a confrontation and the employee then shot the man.

According to investigators, the suspect was taken to the hospital. The extent of his injuries is unknown.
DGU with no deaths. Apparently this robbery was connected to a previous attempt two days prior to steal an ATM machine. Those standalone ATM machines seem like much better targets than hot robberies over a few hundred dollars, but then again petty criminals aren't known for intellectual prowess.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:49 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
Quote:
Those standalone ATM machines seem like much better targets than hot robberies over a few hundred dollars, but then again petty criminals aren't known for intellectual prowess.
A fellow here carried one of with a tow truck to open it at his leisure.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:59 AM
Charter Member
Students affirm their right to carry an empty holster on a college campus in Mobile, Alabama.
Quote:
The national entity of the nonprofit organization, Students for Concealed Carry, organizes a nationwide empty holster protest in which participants wear holsters on their respective campuses. The event takes place each spring in an effort to promote gun law awareness. According to Parten, this week marks the 2016 iteration of the protest.

"I totally forgot I even had the holster on," Parten says.

"I believe people who have concealed carry licenses should be able to carry on college campuses," Parten adds.

Parten says the officer who stopped him gave him a citation that required him to meet with the Dean of Students.

University Director of Communications and Media Relations Bob Lowry issued a statement regarding the conflict.

"(Campus police) received an anonymous report that a person in the Student Center may have been carrying an 'unconcealed gun.' USAPD officers arrived at the location and, following an on-site interview with a student wearing an empty gun holster, issued a campus judicial citation to the student," Lowry says.

"Upon further investigation, it has been determined that the citation should not have been issued and it has been rescinded. University Police are conducting an internal investigation of the matter."
Old 04-15-2016, 11:23 AM
In other news, Police investigate home invasion that left teen suspect dead in Fort Worth
Quote:
Kevin Brown, 16, was found dead on a driveway a few houses down from the attempted home invasion.

Police say Kevin Brown kicked down the door of a home in the 4000 block of Miami Springs Drive about 8:30 a.m. and was shot when he encountered an armed homeowner.

He was shot right in the middle of his heart, Joshua Tanksley told WFAA-TV (Channel 8). Tanksley found Brown after he was shot.

Brown, 16, fled down the street, collapsed and died on nearby Sarasota Springs Drive. He was pronounced dead at 8:43 a.m., according to the Tarrant County medical examiners office.
DGU with one death. Burglary is a high risk occupation in Texas.

In more news, Suspected Burglar Shot by Homeowner in Redondo Beach
Quote:
The homeowner and a friend were in the house when he received a notification on his smartphone from the home security system of movements in the homes detached garage, Heywood said. The homeowner saw a male suspect on the security camera video and he and his friend armed themselves and went outside, he said.

When the pair went outside, they saw the suspect wheeling a motorcycle out of the garage. When confronted, the suspect dropped the motorcycle, began to flee then turned around, confronted the residents and thats when the shooting occurred, Heywood said.

The suspect, identified as Laurencia Gamboa, 33, of Redondo Beach suffered a gunshot wound to the leg, he said.
DGU with no deaths. Though I wouldn't generally advise leaving a residence to confront an unknown situation, with security cameras the situation may have been more clear to the people at home.

In even more news, Armed victim shoots suspected robber
Quote:
Mobile Police say the robbery victim was with his girlfriend when he was approached by an armed man in the Twin Oaks parking lot last night.

"As he and his girlfriend were unloading groceries from the vehicle and unknown male subject armed with a handgun approached him and demanded his property," Perkins said.

Police have identified the suspected robber as 18 year old Michael Lanier Clark. According to police Clark had taken the victim's wallet when the man fired his own weapon hitting Clark in the chest.

Clark's body was discovered in a breezeway where police recovered the stolen wallet and a weapon.
DGU with one death. Robbery in Alabama isn't such a safe occupation either it seems. Pretty solid presence of mind to keep his wits, land two hits. And even still the robber was able to flee for a bit.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:21 AM
In other news, APD: Suspect shot during South Austin robbery attempt
Quote:
Police say a suspect was shot while trying to rob a South Austin convenience store.

It happened at a store located at the intersection of West Mary Street and South 5th Street.

Police say someone in the store opened fire on the suspect during the robbery attempt and shot him in the arm. The suspect then fled down the street.

Police located the suspect at Bouldin Avenue and West Annie Street. EMS medics treated the suspect identified only as a man in his 20's and transported him to University Medical Center Brackenridge with non life-threatening injuries.
DGU with no deaths. 2 robbers and both are apprehended with one being shot. The idea that there will likely be only single assailants seems shortsighted.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Quote:
In other news, APD: Suspect shot during South Austin robbery attempt

DGU with no deaths. 2 robbers and both are apprehended with one being shot. The idea that there will likely be only single assailants seems shortsighted.

Wow, I was just in that area last month, taking a gun class at Central Texas Gun Works 321 W Ben White Blvd, Austin TX.

That's only two miles from that DGU location.

The class instructor, BTW, was excellent. Highly recommended.

Added: no affiliation whatsoever with CTGW, other than being a very satisfied customer.

Last edited by Bullitt; 04-16-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:10 PM
In other news, Suspects In Deadly Craigslist Home Invasion May Have Struck Before
Quote:
It was Sunday when two men went into the home on Taft Court near Belleview and Simms and tied up the male homeowner. He got loose, ran out and began firing at an intruder in his SUV.

“The homeowner who was restrained inside of house was able to break free from the restraints, come outside, confront the two suspects who still were there, and that is when first shots were fired,” Kelley said.
DGU with one dead. Apparently these two were using a vehicle they stole using the same ruse as well. One got away in the previously stolen vehicle but was arrested a few days later. Yeah meeting people from Craigslist has zero appeal.

Last edited by Bone; 04-17-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:55 AM
In other news, Deputies: Ocala man shot by neighbor during fight
Quote:
When they arrived, they say they learned Michael Ratliff had been involved in a physical altercation with his girlfriend, Alyse Lazaro.

At some point, Lazaro ran to her neighbor's house for help. The neighbor, identified as Ryan Panzegraf, came back to the house with Lazaro.

Deputies say another physical altercation ensued, during which Panzegraf shot Ratliff in the chest.
DGU with one death. When you are at a physical disadvantage a force multiplier can be especially effective.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:39 AM
In other news, Armed resident foils armed robbery attempt
Quote:
Three men are in jail today after an armed resident stopped their attempt to rob him at his Slidell area home Sunday night.

One of the three men approached a residence on Acacia Drive in Slidell at approximately 9 p.m. He claimed to be having vehicle trouble and asked the homeowner if he could use the telephone. When he attempted to enter the home he was stopped by the homeowner.

A second man, who was wearing a mask, came from behind the bushes and pointed a gun at the homeowner’s face. The homeowner pulled out his own pistol and they exchanged gunfire before the two men fled in a dark-colored pick-up truck.

Late last night the abandoned pick-up truck was located on Morrison Road in New Orleans East. The truck had a bullet hole in the rear passenger-side door and inside the cab police found a mask, duct tape and latex gloves.
DGU with no deaths. All three were arrested - one of them at a hospital where he was being treated for a gunshot wound. 3v1 and the one prevailed. With what was found in the truck this could have gone much worse. In this day an age I'd be surprised if a person legitimately needed to use a phone. And no way in hell I'd answer the door at 9pm.

Last edited by Bone; 04-19-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Charter Member
Here's one I can't completely claim is not a Positive Gun Use: Georgia KKK Imperial Wizard commits suicide by cop.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Here's one I can't completely claim is not a Positive Gun Use: Georgia KKK Imperial Wizard commits suicide by cop.
Do you suppose he had a bad day? How was your day?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:45 PM
I missed this bit of news this weekend. Mississippi becomes 10th state in the union to adopt constitutional carry bringing the total to 20% of states.
Quote:
(24) * * * A license * * * under this section is not
435 required for a loaded or unloaded pistol or revolver to be carried
436 upon the person in a sheath, belt holster or shoulder holster or
437 in a purse, handbag, satchel, other similar bag or briefcase or
438 fully enclosed case if the person is not engaged in criminal
439 activity other than a misdemeanor traffic offense, is not
440 otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol or revolver under
441 state or federal law, and is not in a location prohibited under
442 subsection (13) of this section.
I note that ankle holsters are not covered, nor is holster-less carry (I would not recommend this). I think there will be at least 1 or 2 lower population states that go constitutional carry before a large population state like Ohio or Florida do it. And the animated Right to Carry .gif has already been updated.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:04 PM
In other news, Police: Man fatally shoots intruder at OKC apartment complex
Quote:
"Officers say there was a first initial knock at the door. The victim did not know who it was," said Sgt. Ashely Peters from the Oklahoma City Police Department. "He was having a hard time seeing who was at the front door, so he waited a little bit."

Police say soon after, the suspects started kicking the victim's door and entered the apartment. Police say the victim was waiting inside with a gun.

"He had retrieved a gun from the back of his home. He did fire his gun and struck one of the suspects, which was fatally hit," Sgt. Peters said.
DGU with one dead. 2v1 kicking in an apartment door. The other person that ran was later arrested.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:52 AM
In other news, LMPD: Woman shoots man trying to rob her downtown
Quote:
Louisville Metro Police said a man with a knife approached a woman downtown Tuesday night and said "give me everything you have." Authorities said that's when the woman pulled out a gun and shot him.
The suspect is expected to survive. Police said he will be charged when he is released from the hospital. The woman will not face any charges.
DGU with no deaths. A knife in the middle of a populated street is ballsy. Good presence of mind there.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Quote:
said "give me everything you have."
and she did!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
and she did!
It just happened to be at 1,300 feet per second. Good for her.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Quote:
(snip) Mississippi becomes 10th state in the union to adopt constitutional carry bringing the total to 20% of states.

I note that ankle holsters are not covered, nor is holster-less carry (I would not recommend this). I think there will be at least 1 or 2 lower population states that go constitutional carry before a large population state like Ohio or Florida do it. And the animated Right to Carry .gif has already been updated.
According to handGunLaw.us six states allow permitless concealed carry: AK AZ KS ME MS & VT. Select any of those states from the map, to see.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Quote:
According to handGunLaw.us six states allow permitless concealed carry: AK AZ KS ME MS & VT. Select any of those states from the map, to see.
The site is either out of date, or uses a standard that is more restrictive than commonly understood. From the wiki:
Quote:
As of April 15, 2016, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas[disputed], Idaho (effective July 1, 2016; residents only), Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Puerto Rico[disputed], Vermont, West Virginia (effective June 5, 2016)[5] and Wyoming(residents only) do not require a permit to carry a concealed firearm for any person of age (usually 21 and older) who is not prohibited from owning a firearm. Permitless carry in Idaho and Wyoming is applicable to residents only; non-residents must have a permit to carry a concealed handgun in these states.
I suppose the cite you reference leaves off Wyoming and Idaho because it only applies to residents? That counts as far as I'm concerned. West Virginia has been signed but will not be go into effect until June. Arkansas is a bit more of a wobbler as noted in the wiki, but reviewing the Arkansas code it seems pretty clear to me:
Quote:
5-73-120. Carrying a weapon.

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person.
(c) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that at the time of the act of carrying a weapon:
(4) The person is carrying a weapon when upon a journey, unless the journey is through a commercial airport when presenting at the security checkpoint in the airport or is in the person's checked baggage and is not a lawfully declared weapon;
While the Arkansas attorney general has stated she believes this doesn't apply to concealed carry and only to open carry, it's her opinion and not binding. Even in her opinion she states that unlicensed concealed carry in a vehicle outside your home county is not a violation of statute so I and some others believe the law that obviously protects unlicensed open carry would also apply to concealed. I can't find any instance of conviction for this though my search wasn't exhaustive.