View Poll Results: Should a kid be allowed to dress as Hitler at school?
No, it is tasteless and he should be punished. 38 33.63%
Halloween is for dressing as scary monsters, and Hitler qualifies. 45 39.82%
Hitler in a form that does not cast him in a favorable light is ok, like Zombie Hitler 30 26.55%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2015, 08:42 PM
POLL- Is it OK to dress as Hitler for Halloween?

I've seen threads in various places with people arguing both side, but I'm curious what the actual numbers are, which is hard to determine just reading through posts.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:49 PM
My inclination is that Halloween is for dressing as scary monsters, and Hitler counts. From some people's reactions it would seem that fantasy monsters are ok, but real life monsters are too scary. If your gut reaction is to kick Kid Hitler out of school for the day, would you do the same to Kid Stalin?
Old 10-30-2015, 09:00 PM
What do you mean by "should be punished?" That sounds too much like censorship.

Yeah, Nazi uniforms on Hallowe'en are tastelesss and crass. But so is the whole modern "dress like a zombie" thing. It's ugly and celebrates death.

So effin' what? Who gets to write these rules, anyway? You? Me? Donald Trump?
Old 10-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Charter Member
Hell no!
Old 10-30-2015, 09:33 PM
No, it isn't, IMO. The horrors of W.W. II are still fresh in the minds of millions of people. Hitler was the driving force behind terror and genocide and is not a fantasy monster like a zombie or ghoul.

I wouldn't punish a kid for dressing like Hitler, but I'd send him home to change into an acceptable costume or no costume. And yes, I'd send Kid Stalin, or Kid Osama, or Kid Amin home, too.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
Hell no!
You misspelled "Heil."
Old 10-30-2015, 10:51 PM
It depends. Nothing is going to be ok if you start off as a douchebag. I guess that could apply both to the person wearing the costume or the person seeing it.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:22 PM
I'd say dressing as Hitler would be okay as long as you don't try to use that as an excuse to act like a jackass. Dressing as a member of the SS would be out of line.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:22 AM
Charter Member
Utterly tasteless, but no one should be "punished" for it unless there was some other harassment associated with act.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 10-31-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:00 AM
Fuck no it's not cool. Zombie Hitler, or Hitler with a bullet in his head I could see -- but not for kids.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:21 AM
In the spirit of Halloween and roleplaying, Ive shaved my public regions into a hitler mustache and I plan to regale her with a few ummm hitler salutes tomorrow night. Im hoping she wont respond with a night of long knives.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Utterly tasteless, but no one should be "punished" for it unless there was some other harassment associated with act.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want to live in a country that punished people for tastelessness.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:56 AM
Not kids, absolutely not kids. No-one should allow a kid to dress as Hitler.

Adults? Okay for a themed party, like "Greatest Disasters of the 20th Century".

Random going to work, out on the town, or even a non-themed party? I can't say it's wrong, but I wouldn't talk to you. I'd avoid being introduced to you. I'd probably leave early.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
No, it isn't, IMO. The horrors of W.W. II are still fresh in the minds of millions of people.
In a school? There are nobody in the school (kids, teachers, or parents) who were alive during WW-II. Very few kids would even have grandparents who were alive then for that matter. If it's fresh in the mind then its because they've been taught to keep it fresh.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
^This.

Some costumes are simply a very bad idea for multiple reasons. Hitler is one of those choices. I wouldn't allow my kids to dress as Hitler, nor would I condone my Hubs doing so.

But, punishment over a costume choice? No, that's too harsh. Now, if the person in the costume is acting the part - doing cruel or inhumane or illegal acts - then punishment for actions is appropriate within the limits of the wrong actions.

And, I also do not understand the zombie fascination.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Prince Zorte View Post
My inclination is that Halloween is for dressing as scary monsters, and Hitler counts. From some people's reactions it would seem that fantasy monsters are ok, but real life monsters are too scary. If your gut reaction is to kick Kid Hitler out of school for the day, would you do the same to Kid Stalin?
This is retarded. I mean really, really retarded.

Hitler was not a monster at all never mind in some kids idea of Buffy fantasy monsters. He really isn't a fantasy figure who notionally live in the local graveyard and comes out to spook little children who don't eat their greens.

FFS.

Hitler was a man. More importantly he represents a lesson in life, or several. He belongs in classrooms, only.

Last edited by up_the_junction; 10-31-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:52 AM
I'd wait a few hundred years before bringing that costume out.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:05 PM
I don't think a child should be allowed to dress as Hitler, but age is a huge factor when it comes to how to deal with it, should it happen. I don't think a Kindergartener should really even know who he is, and at that point it would be the parent's decision to dress like that. Don't punish the kid, but certainly have a conversation with the parents about why they thought that would be appropriate. 8-preteen, kid should probably have an idea who he is at that point, and if he wants to dress as Hitler, I think it's a parent's duty to discuss with that child why the child would think that is an appropriate costume. Teenagers definitely know, and are specifically choosing that costume to be an asshat, and I think there should be some punishment at that point- either change or receive an in school suspension (day long detention, separate from the other students).

Adults still only do it to be an asshat, and I think they're probably punished by being ostracized by a large amount of polite society.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:26 PM
Imagine the uproar if one of the British Royal Family were to dress up in Nazi regalia!
Old 10-31-2015, 01:31 PM
Vlad the Impaler is ok, Satan is ok, Hitler is never ok because... well something, just ask anyone. I've been Castro on Halloween, I could do a Stalin, I doubt those would raise an eyebrow. Hitler is just a hot button.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Vlad the Impaler is ok, Satan is ok, Hitler is never ok because... well something, just ask anyone. I've been Castro on Halloween, I could do a Stalin, I doubt those would raise an eyebrow. Hitler is just a hot button.
Hitler is never OK because... Hitler.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:58 PM
I decided to go quite literal with this one. Only the third option doesn't include parts I disagree with.

It is tasteless, and shouldn't happen. But it shouldn't be punished unless the child knew what they were doing. Halloween is for dressup, not necessary scary monsters. Hitler does qualify as a monster, but no longer a scary one.

No one woudl argue that it's not okay to depict Hitler in a disparaging light, and Zombie Hitler is one such example. (Whether it's okay for kids to dress up as him is different. But the answer never quite says that.)
Old 10-31-2015, 02:04 PM
I don't care what you say, these two aren't getting any treats from me.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:14 PM
Remember - dressing up as Hitler in school isn't cool. Should dress as a scary ghost instead.

Last edited by Mr. Kobayashi; 10-31-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:28 PM
I'd just dress up as the Kung Fury Hitler instead.

I keep threatening to dress up in an orange prison jump suit. With the back reading "Unregistered Sex Offender".

My peeps tell me not to do this.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:05 PM
The thread title and OP don't ask the same question as the poll, but if we're specifically talking about a child wearing a Hitler costume to school then it would probably qualify as some sort of dress code violation. IMHO a lot of school dress codes are stricter than they need to be, but I also think it's reasonable to have some rules regarding what is appropriate dress in an educational environment.

Dressing as scary monsters is certainly a well-established part of Halloween, but it's probably even more common for kids to dress up as characters, historic figures, or professions they admire. A Hitler costume could just as easily be taken to mean "Hitler is my hero" as it could to mean "Hitler was one of history's greatest monsters". (The monster interpretation seems more likely with a Zombie Hitler, but not 100% -- I wouldn't necessarily assume that someone dressed as Zombie Elvis hated Elvis.) At a purely social event like a private Halloween party then if someone is wearing an offensive or questionable costume then other guests are free to voice their opinions, avoid that person, or just go home, but kids in school don't have this same freedom. So I'd consider a Hitler costume at school more problematic than one worn to a private party.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
In a school? There are nobody in the school (kids, teachers, or parents) who were alive during WW-II. Very few kids would even have grandparents who were alive then for that matter. If it's fresh in the mind then its because they've been taught to keep it fresh.
Good. They should be taught what a monster Hitler was. Those who do not remember the past...etc., etc., etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
The thread title and OP don't ask the same question as the poll, but if we're specifically talking about a child wearing a Hitler costume to school then it would probably qualify as some sort of dress code violation. IMHO a lot of school dress codes are stricter than they need to be, but I also think it's reasonable to have some rules regarding what is appropriate dress in an educational environment.

Dressing as scary monsters is certainly a well-established part of Halloween, but it's probably even more common for kids to dress up as characters, historic figures, or professions they admire. A Hitler costume could just as easily be taken to mean "Hitler is my hero" as it could to mean "Hitler was one of history's greatest monsters". (The monster interpretation seems more likely with a Zombie Hitler, but not 100% -- I wouldn't necessarily assume that someone dressed as Zombie Elvis hated Elvis.) At a purely social event like a private Halloween party then if someone is wearing an offensive or questionable costume then other guests are free to voice their opinions, avoid that person, or just go home, but kids in school don't have this same freedom. So I'd consider a Hitler costume at school more problematic than one worn to a private party.
Bolded by me for emphasis.

All very good points, and I completely agree. You said it better than I managed to.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:05 PM
Charter Member
I don't like any of the poll options, and so am not voting.

I think dressing as Hitler is iffy, and should only be done in a context where you know your audience, and know that your audience will not make assumptions about your (racial, religious) beliefs based on your costume.

That means that wearing a Hitler costume to school is a bad idea-- unless you are in a one-room schoolhouse or something.

I would not dress as Hitler myself, under any circumstances that I can think of.

I would strongly discourage my hypothetical child from dressing as Hitler for any School-based Halloween event.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:13 PM
It is OK as long as he wears a baseball cap that says...

Mustache rides
5 cents
Old 10-31-2015, 06:15 PM
Just thought of a possible "its not so bad" scenario for an adult dressing as Hitler.

They have a damn good costume. AND they look like Hitler to start with.

And when the two are combined, everyone goes "damn, did Hitler get a time machine or sumptin?"

A possible case where the excellence mitigates the offense.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:57 PM
Halloween is about dressing like scary things for fun and it's almost entirely fictional characters or tropes. Hitler's a bit too real. Stalin would be weird too.

This is assuming that you're in the UK or another area where Halloween is not just a general fancy dress competition and you could go dressed as anything at all, scary or not.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:58 PM
I don't think it's inherently bad to dress as Hitler for Halloween. That said, it's almost always a bad idea, even when it's not a bad act.

I don't think it's appropriate to kick the kid out of school, though. The best result would be that everyone just rolls their eyes and ignores him. That way he doesn't go home early thinking he's an edgy martyr.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36 PM
In high school (this was back in the early 70s), for the German Club Halloween/Octoberfest costume party, as part of my costume, I wore a yellow 6 pointed star with the word "Jude" written across it. I sort of wanted to wave a bit of a middle finger at all the Bavarian maidens and the like there.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Good. They should be taught what a monster Hitler was. Those who do not remember the past...etc., etc., etc.
No, Hitler was a man. It's because the Americans have mythologized Hitler. The real Hitler and the actual history have been buried and replaced with mythologized versions of both. In this theatre Hitler plays the role of the ultimate evil – w,, hich makes parodying him, or the Nazis in general, sacrilegious. It's not always easy to follow the logic behind American response to WW-II tropes unless you keep this in mind, although of course most of the Western world have partaken in this to some extends. Can’t see dressing up as Hitler would provoke much controversy around here though. Here’s an interesting documentary btw. The Living Dead, Adam Curtis

Gotta beef up that military, because those that do not remember the past, will have the goddamn heathen Swedes invading like they’ve done numerous times before. In fact if history tells us anything, then a preemtive attack on Sweden is the safest course of action.

Last edited by Rune; 11-01-2015 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:07 AM
Would a girl dressing up as Hitler be better? It kinda emasculates him. Certainly nobody can be in doubt that would not be because they think Hitler was a great man or anything.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:44 AM
My mind boggles at the number of people in this thread who have no problem with a child dressing up as Hitler in school. Seriously?
Old 11-01-2015, 06:36 AM
I see it being ok if done extremely well; haircut and 'stache done for reals and some ability to shout nonsense phrases in German. Or a sexy Hitler, cause, well, sexy.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Hitler is ok. But Islamists - now that's an entirely other matter.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Quote:
On a related note I've always thought it odd that a pirate costume would be perfectly acceptable, whereas in the 17th and 18th centuries when they operated they were despised as hostis humani generis, enemies of mankind, murderers, rapists and pillagers. It'd be like people in the 23rd centuries dressing kids up in ISIS costumes and eating breakfast cereals with little cartoon jihadists on the box.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:40 AM
Charter Member
No, it's not okay for a kid to dress as Hitler. I'm sure whoever allowed the kid to do that is aware of how scary a monster Hitler was, but a kid isn't old enough to appreciate the full extent of the horrors Hitler represents. The kid shouldn't be punished, but it's too bad we can't get to the person who should be.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Quote:
So long as it is "slutty Hitler".

Quote:
Who is the guy in the track suit and blond wig in that video supposed to be? I don't get the reference.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post
So long as it is "slutty Hitler".

Who is the guy in the track suit and blond wig in that video supposed to be? I don't get the reference.
Jimmy Savile.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Yep, I like that.

The world we live in ...
Old 11-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
In high school (this was back in the early 70s), for the German Club Halloween/Octoberfest costume party, as part of my costume, I wore a yellow 6 pointed star with the word "Jude" written across it. I sort of wanted to wave a bit of a middle finger at all the Bavarian maidens and the like there.
So, you were the only one there to pick a costume to spread hate.
I suppose that's a win for irony and why we shouldn't be so fast to judge the Hitler costume.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:57 PM
born to be shunned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
I'd say dressing as Hitler would be okay as long as you don't try to use that as an excuse to act like a jackass. Dressing as a member of the SS would be out of line.
Even that, to me, rates a "it depends". I attended a Halloween party themed on bad zombie horror movies and someone did a Shock Waves costume. It's not something I would want to see going door to door but in that setting it fit.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Vlad the Impaler is ok, . . .
Well . . . maybe a Chevy.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:39 AM
I've reconsidered. I wouldn't dress as Hitler because of this abomination I saw at the store the other day.

Who would make something evil and vile like this? The guy on the label of course.

https://fakemeats.com/Louisville...729-739937.htm

Link safe for work.

Todd my ass.

Last edited by billfish678; 11-02-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Meh. Just hold a sign saying "I'm desperate for attention."
Old 11-02-2015, 10:24 AM
I don't celebrate Halloween, but I don't think that a Hitler costume is inherently bad, it all depends on context. If you're going ToTing around the neighborhood it's poor taste at best, because you really don't know who the audience is. If you're going to a costume party, particularly if you either control or know who the audience is, then it can be just fine, possibly even really clever. Sure, there's some obvious versions, like a zombie or devil version, or a post suicide version. Maybe a straight up Hitler costume works well in combination with another costume a friend or girlfriend or group of friends is doing.

Personally, I seriously doubt I'd ever do it, even if I thought I had a good idea, partially because I don't think I even remotely look like him, but because I don't have a desire to associate myself with him. But if I saw someone dressed as him, unless I thought it was pretty clear they were doing it to be deliberately offensive or as a support of his views, especially if they had some clever twist or it was particularly convincing, I'd probably think it was bold.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Jesus, people. Dress like whatever you want. It's a costume, that's the point.