Old 01-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Bernie Sanders' lapel pin

It has become almost mandatory for US politicians to wear a flag pin their lapel, so no one can question their patriotism, no doubt. Not Bernie Sanders. His pin, like his politics, is different. Anyone know what it is? He's never without it.

https://google.com/search?q=bern...w=1207&bih=678
Old 01-12-2016, 10:30 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
This says it identifies him as a U.S. Senator.
Quote:
Bernie Sanders is deliberately side-stepping the flag lapel pin issue, by wearing instead the gold badge which identifies him in the Capitol building to security as a US Senator.

Last edited by running coach; 01-12-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:35 AM
Personally, I think it would be fun to freak the shit out of people by wearing a hammer and sickle pin.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:13 AM
He should wear an Obama pin at the next debate.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:18 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Personally, I think it would be fun to freak the shit out of people by wearing a hammer and sickle pin.
The Duchy of Grand Fenwick. See how many put foot to mouth before they catch on.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Kudos to Bernie. Not wearing the stupid flag pin seems somehow noble and I've been trying to put my finger on just exactly why. I think it's this:

The flag-pin motif was a useful symbol of national solidarity after 9/11 but now it's become hackneyed. It seems to me so meaningless that it's become idiotic. What does it mean? "I am an American?" No, really? I thought you were a visitor from Kazakhstan who just decided to run for Congress while you were here.

Or does it mean "I am a patriot who loves his country, and this proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt"? Considering the maliciously self-serving destructive lying assholes who all wear the identical flag pin, and who are the first to throw their country and the well-being of its citizens under a bus for personal gain, I don't think it proves that at all. Anyone can wear a flag pin. Bernie seems to be trying to distance himself from that kind of hackneyed hypocrisy.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:17 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
The Duchy of Grand Fenwick. See how many put foot to mouth before they catch on.
Cool.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:31 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Kudos to Bernie. Not wearing the stupid flag pin seems somehow noble and I've been trying to put my finger on just exactly why. I think it's this:

The flag-pin motif was a useful symbol of national solidarity after 9/11 but now it's become hackneyed. It seems to me so meaningless that it's become idiotic. What does it mean? "I am an American?" No, really? I thought you were a visitor from Kazakhstan who just decided to run for Congress while you were here.

Or does it mean "I am a patriot who loves his country, and this proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt"? Considering the maliciously self-serving destructive lying assholes who all wear the identical flag pin, and who are the first to throw their country and the well-being of its citizens under a bus for personal gain, I don't think it proves that at all. Anyone can wear a flag pin. Bernie seems to be trying to distance himself from that kind of hackneyed hypocrisy.
It's really helpful at those intentional meetings like NATO or the G8, G10, G whatever - it saves so much time not having to ask which country one guy is from.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by up_the_junction View Post
It's really helpful at those intentional meetings like NATO or the G8, G10, G whatever - it saves so much time not having to ask which country one guy is from.
It is a safe bet that a United States Senator is from the United States.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Of course when State Senator Obama campaigned for President he wasn't a patriot since he was, then he wasn't wearing a lapel pin while black.
http://content.time.com/time/politic...779544,00.html

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 01-13-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:37 PM
BANNED
What's the big deal? It's just a pin. Pay no attention. You don't even have to look at it. Don't look at it. No, really, don't--

Heh-heh-heh.

Welcome to the Movement, Comrade. Now go home and await instructions from your Commissar.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:57 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
It is a safe bet that a United States Senator is from the United States.
You mind telling that to Ted Cruz?
Old 01-14-2016, 06:25 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
You mind telling that to Ted Cruz?
Nah, we aren't on speaking terms.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
That would be real fun to watch. Unfortunately, not enough people appreciate your and my sense of humor.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Charter Member
During the 2008 election, Peter Beinart wrote a very thoughtful essay for Time Magazine about the different views that conservatives and liberals have of patriotism, and why patriotic symbols are so important to conservatives. While I still take the liberal view that it's actions, and not symbols that are important, the essay helped me to understand the conservative viewpoint a little bit better.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
During the 2008 election, Peter Beinart wrote a very thoughtful essay for Time Magazine about the different views that conservatives and liberals have of patriotism, and why patriotic symbols are so important to conservatives. While I still take the liberal view that it's actions, and not symbols that are important, the essay helped me to understand the conservative viewpoint a little bit better.
Thanks for posting that. That is a good essay.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Charter Member
I assume Sanders is doing it to send a message. Unlike all the other candidates for the Presidency of the United States, he doesn't want to associate himself with the symbol of that country.

Good for him. It saves a lot of explanations on his part.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-14-2016, 01:31 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I assume Sanders is doing it to send a message. Unlike all the other candidates for the Presidency of the United States, he doesn't want to associate himself with the symbol of that country.

Good for him. It saves a lot of explanations on his part.

Regards,
Shodan
See post #11.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:03 PM
Charter Member
It says that he's not content with glorifying the mere symbols of the country; he wants to glorify the country itself.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
It says that he's not content with glorifying the mere symbols of the country; he wants to glorify the country itself.
He may want that but not wearing a pin doesn't say that. I don't wear a pin and I don't give a crap about glorifying anything.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:24 PM
Charter Member
Does Hillary Clinton wear a pin?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
See post #11.
I saw it. It wasn't very good and it wasn't necessary.

There is no need for explanations - the thing speaks for itself. Bernie Sanders does not want to associate himself with the American flag while running for the American Presidency.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-14-2016, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Yeah, because Sanders obviously hates our fucking flag.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:10 PM
Corellian Nerfherder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiethewestie View Post
Of course when State Senator Obama campaigned for President he wasn't a patriot since he was, then he wasn't wearing a lapel pin while black.
http://content.time.com/time/politic...779544,00.html
Obama was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2004, a little more than two years before declaring his candidacy for President.

(Though, I suspect I may be being whooshed here. )
Old 01-26-2016, 08:32 PM
He could wear the flag of Molvania.

http://crwflags.com/fotw/flags/fic_molv.html#molv
Old 01-27-2016, 07:30 AM
I am shocked- shocked mind you, that there were Republicans who don't wear flag pins on their lapels!
Old 01-27-2016, 03:27 PM
Charter Member
Yes, Shodan, we all know that Sanders is unconcerned with silly frivolities. In fact, that's a large part of why we like him. You don't need to keep reminding us.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:52 PM
You know, this thread might make the slightest bit of sense if someone was giving Sanders crap about his lack of flag pin or something but as it stands it's pure circle jerk.