Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 06-08-2016, 06:50 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6,316
The Harlem Globetrotters are a sad shell of what they used to be

I last saw the HG's about 3 years ago and we really only went because a friends daughter was performing at halftime. Yeah, the G's let kids perform at their halftime shows. But thats 50 -150 guarnteed tickets sold.

It really was a sad shell of what they used to be back in the days of Meadowlark Lemmon. The basketball play was so-so. These guys didnt have near the ball handling or shooting skills as the old ones did. The jokes and gags were weak. I swear the new version of the Washington Generals looked like overaged college rejects.

Now I notice they have opened a new show at Branson Missouri called The Harlem Globetrotter Experience.
#2
Old 06-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 41,350
I saw them in 2003 playing against Syracuse. No jokes, just straight basketball. The Trotters crushed the Orange.

They might be suffering because of additional options for marginal players. It used to be, if you missed out on the NBA, they were a good place to go, but now the European leagues are able to pay more.
__________________
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
#3
Old 06-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,040
I saw them play just last year and it was a fun show! My three boys especially loved it. Most of the jokes were corny and made to appeal to the kids, but weren't they always? The Washington Generals are gone. At our game, the Trotters played a team called the "World All-Stars" which seemed to be made up of recent college players and international players. They too, were quite good incidentally, making lots of alley-oop dunks and 3-pointers.

What the Trotters have now that they didn't have in the old days is amazing dunkers. A couple guys do fantastic dunk-contest worthy dunks within the context of the game and it is spectacular. They also do a great job of incorporating people in the crowd into a lot of their plays and gags and that was a lot of fun.

The part I think they need to scrap is the 3-man weave. Nearly every play starts with a 3-man weave up near half-court before they make a drive for the hoop which turns into a dunk or a kickout for a long 3 (or 4) pointer. They have a couple spots on the floor about 8 feet beyond the arc designated as 4-point zones. More no-look and bounce passes around the paint should replace the 3-man weave and the game would be much improved.
#4
Old 06-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I last saw the HG's about 3 years ago and we really only went because a friends daughter was performing at halftime. Yeah, the G's let kids perform at their halftime shows. But thats 50 -150 guarnteed tickets sold.

It really was a sad shell of what they used to be back in the days of Meadowlark Lemmon. The basketball play was so-so. These guys didnt have near the ball handling or shooting skills as the old ones did. The jokes and gags were weak. I swear the new version of the Washington Generals looked like overaged college rejects.

Now I notice they have opened a new show at Branson Missouri called The Harlem Globetrotter Experience.
What'd you expect, for Meadowlark Lemon and Curly Neal to live forever? Not only are there many more options for marginal players than there were before, but remember that the Globetrotters came into existence in a time before basketball was integrated; before there was even an actual basketball league (they preceded the NBL, the predecessor to the NBA, by a decade). Nobody in this day and age, is passing up millions of dollars to be an ambassador of basketball.

You know who'd be a great Globetrotter, though? Stephen Curry.
#5
Old 06-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 28,388
I am a teacher and my school had a group called "Harlem" something basketball come and visit us. They dressed similar and brought multi-colored basketball, but it was....somewhat of a scam.

They hardly played basketball, talked about being good in school, and left with.

Anyone heard of knockoff groups?
#6
Old 06-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I am a teacher and my school had a group called "Harlem" something basketball come and visit us. They dressed similar and brought multi-colored basketball, but it was....somewhat of a scam.

They hardly played basketball, talked about being good in school, and left with.

Anyone heard of knockoff groups?
Would they have been the Harlem Crowns? My high school got suckered in by this group, too.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 06-08-2016 at 10:49 AM.
#7
Old 06-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,325
There was also al "Runt" Pullin's Harlem Clowns, which operated from 1934 to 1983.
#8
Old 06-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 21,793
Maybe watching basketball stunts isn't nearly as interesting when you're 42 compared to when you were 12.
#9
Old 06-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 38,810
There's no way to attract the talent they once had in the modern world of basketball. It's been half a century since the Globetrotters were what they used to be. The original Globetrotters helped basketball become an international sport that makes millionaires out of talented players now, the Globetrotters made a good living before that happened, but they mostly played in high school gyms and low rent arenas here and around the world, it's not the attraction it once was. It might be nice for retired big time cagers to put on shows like the Globetrotters did, they could do charity events and maybe improve the NBA's image.
#10
Old 06-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 28,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Would they have been the Harlem Crowns? My high school got suckered in by this group, too.
Nope. It was the Harlem Ambassadors.
#11
Old 06-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surefall Glade, Antonica
Posts: 18,903
The Druidess scored free tickets, so we went a few months ago. It's a different show than what I remember. The other team and especially their coach play over the top pro wrestling style villains and there's a storyline involving shenanigans to disqualify all the Globetrotters to force a forfeit. They didn't draw very well that night. The arena was only half full, if that.

Apparently they have several different teams touring at the same time now.
#12
Old 06-11-2016, 01:08 PM
SDSAB
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 76,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
The Druidess scored free tickets, so we went a few months ago. It's a different show than what I remember. The other team and especially their coach play over the top pro wrestling style villains and there's a storyline involving shenanigans to disqualify all the Globetrotters to force a forfeit. They didn't draw very well that night. The arena was only half full, if that.

Apparently they have several different teams touring at the same time now.
My sons and I saw them a few years ago and they had a similar concept then. We had some fun but probably wouldn't go again. More meh than wow.
#13
Old 06-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,218
they are geared to kids who haven't seen them before. They have 2 teams now.

As a college student I saw a woman washing one of their uniforms in a laundromat. It belonged to a local guy who played for them, Twiggy Sanders. I assume it was his wife and an old uniform.
#14
Old 06-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,205
Well, have they lost to the Washington Generals yet? That would be a real signifier.
#15
Old 06-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 28,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Well, have they lost to the Washington Generals yet? That would be a real signifier.
I think the Generals are gone, now.
#16
Old 06-11-2016, 08:20 PM
SDSAB
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 76,384
Yup. Last year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Generals
#17
Old 06-11-2016, 08:21 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Namche Bazaar
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Well, have they lost to the Washington Generals yet? That would be a real signifier.
wiki:

"From 1953 until 1995, the Generals played exhibitions against the Globetrotters, winning only six games, the last in 1971, and losing more than 13,000. Klotz eventually "disbanded" the Generals in 1995, forming a new team, the New York Nationals, which also has achieved an impressive losing streak."
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: west wing hulu dachshund vs badger taxidermy humans helium tank pressure kissing booth history free mkv splitter koh base strength costco american vodka hire a scriptwriter deaf speech bigbreast archive how much do bouncers get paid what does burning flesh smell like fosters home for imaginary friends frankie's date what does fajita mean is your knee cap supposed to move side to side callus peeling off feet air in brake system symptoms table cream vs half and half wound vs wound up barnes and noble reserve policy do buses take dollar coins car dealership background check