Old 06-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Does "Mike Posner" remind you of an song?

IN his song I took a Pill in Ibiza Mike Posner says "I get along with old timers 'cause my name's a reminder of a pop song people forgot."

So, is this more fictional lyrics, or does his name actually remind people of some song?
Old 06-11-2016, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarfire View Post
IN his song I took a Pill in Ibiza Mike Posner says "I get along with old timers 'cause my name's a reminder of a pop song people forgot."

So, is this more fictional lyrics, or does his name actually remind people of some song?
Yes, but only because I'm a Todd in the Shadows fan, and he reviews Mike Posner's Cooler Than Me a few years back, and particularly harped on his commonplace name. "Taio Cruz is a pop star. Mike Posner fixes your car."
Old 06-11-2016, 01:05 PM
SDSAB
Not me. When I see the name Posner I think of this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Posner
Old 06-11-2016, 03:55 PM
I always give it up for the touch of the younger kind
M-m-m-my Keposner
Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 PM
He did have a hit about five years ago ("Cooler Than Me ") and then kind of disappeared until now. Maybe that's what he means.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Mike Posner: 'Iíve only had success when Iím not trying to'

Quote:
After Mike Posner had an inescapable smash in 2010 with his debut single Cooler Than Me, the 28-year-old Michigan native endured a period of soul-searching, dealing with depression and enduring the shelving of his second album. ďThere was a time when being loaded and loved and popular really mattered a lot to me,Ē he tells the Guardian on a Friday afternoon from his home in Los Angeles. ďIíd say that when I was less popular, I learned to be happy without those things. So now that I guess those things are happening again, it just feels less heavy.Ē

Posner is of course referring to his current position at the top of the global charts once again. His song I Took a Pill in Ibiza, remixed by Norwegian duo SeeB, has been No 1 in four countries, including the UK, made the top 10 in the US Ė and annoyed the Ibizan authorities into the bargain. The islandís tourism chief, desperate to rid the island of its raucous reputation, invited Posner to go and explore the museums, beaches and restaurants instead Ė though in fact the song has a strong anti-drugs message. Hits, says Posner, ďdonít happen every year for me, so itís exciting. Iím pretty blessed.Ē

Itís no surprise that I Took a Pill in Ibiza has been so huge, from that eye-catching title to its self-aware lyrics (ďIím just a singer who already blew his shot / I get along with old timers / íCause my nameís a reminder of a pop song people forgotĒ), a typical Posner trope also employed in Cooler Than Me. Ironically, however, I Took a Pill in Ibiza was originally released as an acoustic song about the pitfalls of partying after Posner decided to leave his pop roots behind.