Old 09-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Yahoo sign in attempt prevented

Several times in the past couple of months, I have received emails from Yahoo with the subject line "Sign in attempt prevented". The message reads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purportedly Yahoo
Hi Crotalus,

Someone attempted to sign in to your Yahoo account (Crotalus) from an app that doesn't meet Yahoo's security standards. We blocked this sign in attempt, which was made on:

Fri, Sep 2, 2016 4:48 PM GMT+7 from Vietnam.

If you were trying to sign in, then please take one of these actions:

Option 1 (recommended): Use mail.yahoo.com or the Yahoo Mail app for Android and iOS to more securely access your account.

Option 2 (not recommended): If you still want to use an app that uses less secure sign in to your Yahoo account:

Click here: https://login.yahoo.com/account/security#other-apps

Turn on "Allow apps that use less secure sign in"

Go back to your existing email application and sign in to your Yahoo account again.

Using apps that don't meet Yahoo's recommended security standards may leave your account more vulnerable or less secure.

If you did not try to sign in, then click here https://edit.yahoo.com/config/change_pw and change the password for your account.

For more information, visit our help page at: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/sln26418.html.

Sincerely,
Yahoo

Has anyone else here received these emails? Are they legit? Does this mean that someone in Vietnam had my correct user name and password, and they were prevented from logging on only because they were using a non-secure app?
Old 09-02-2016, 08:26 PM
I've seen a message like that. And it's unlikely to be fake, as that would serve no point, without some link or attachment.

I can't tell you whether they actually had the right password. It would fail either way, but I don't know if Yahoo would send you a message if the password is wrong.

I do know that Yahoo usually prompts you to change your password if it suspects your account (and thus, your password) has been compromised.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:13 PM
This line annoys me:

Quote:
If you did not try to sign in, then click here https://edit.yahoo.com/config/change_pw and change the password for your account.
I've never gotten it from yahoo, but I've gotten it from other vendors. It is saying, "You have a good password that successfully prevents others from getting access to your account. Change it!" What are they thinking?
Old 09-02-2016, 09:26 PM
I've gotten the same in the last few months, also from Vietnam.

It must be some sort of ongoing criminal activity.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
This line annoys me:

I've never gotten it from yahoo, but I've gotten it from other vendors. It is saying, "You have a good password that successfully prevents others from getting access to your account. Change it!" What are they thinking?
Is it saying that? or is it saying that someone tried to log in from, say, an known spot, new PC or whatever? If someone tries to log on to my account from Russia, for example, Yahoo might block it based on the location - regardless of whether the hacker entered my correct password - and then email me about it.

Yahoo seems rife with hackers - I frequently get spoofed spam purportedly from friends on Yahoo.