Old 03-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Metaphor about a grandmother dying

On the Colbert show, he was interviewing Michael Haydn. Towards the end of the interview, he said something like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Colbert
I could talk to you all night long because...<pause>...there's this metaphor about a grandmother dying <laughter> that I'm not going to go into.
And that was the end of the interview.

Any idea what that was?

(Mods, I figured Cafe Society was the right place, but I could have imagined this thread in GQ or IMHO, so move as needed please.)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Charter Member
I didn't see the show, but the "all night long" part suggests that he might have been referencing this joke about getting to your point very slowly:

A man went on a trip to Europe. Before he left he told his best friend to tell him of any emergencies.

A few days into his trip, his cat slipped while climbing the roof, fell off and died. His friend immediately texts him with the message: “Your cat died!”

In a few hours he was back home, having cut short his trip in grief. When he saw his friend he yelled at him, “Why didn’t you break the news to me slowly? You know how close I was to my cat! You could have sent a message ‘Your cat climbed up on the roof today’, and the next day you could’ve written, ‘Your cat fell off the roof’ and let me down gradually that he died.”

After a quick memorial service, the man left again to continue his trip. A few days later he gets a text from his friend. It read, “Your grandmother climbed up on the roof today.”
Old 03-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Ha! I laughed out loud. I don't really see how it would fit in the situation, though.

A few things:

1. I spelled the former director's name wrong. It's Hayden, not Haydn.
2. You can watch the video here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=buI8aO7nRDM. The part in question starts at around 6:56.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Charter Member
The joke about the grandmother came up in discussion with the previous guest, comedian Jerrod Carmichael.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:37 PM
Well, that was definitely where it came from. Thanks! That earlier interviewee was pretty incoherent.