Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Charter Member
Bill Murray stickers on cars? What's up with that?

In the last year or so I started noticing small square white stickers on cards with a line sketch in black of what looks to me like Bill Murray with a thin moustache.

What's up with that?

Is that image a promotion of some specific project of Murray's? Or are people just all of a sudden feeling the need to show the world how much they like Bill Murray?

Or is it not Bill Murray at all? Am I mistaking someone else's image for Bill Murray?

Fill me in. What's going on here with these stickers?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Yes it's Bill Murray. It's thanks to a web site called theChive, which has grown increasingly obsessed with Bill and now sells those stickers, with Bill's blessings.

I don't see a general explanatory article about it. Just kind of Google it I guess.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Charter Member
Oh. Somehow that seems like a bit of a letdown. Is the Chive something I should know about?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Oh. Somehow that seems like a bit of a letdown. Is the Chive something I should know about?
Nah, it's just an online "lad mag". Viral videos and pictures of pretty girls. Empty internet calories.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:21 PM
Taking this to a new level.

http://i.imgur.com/ZJ366.jpg
Old 04-07-2017, 07:43 AM
Quote:
In the last year or so I started noticing small square white stickers on cards with a line sketch in black of what looks to me like Bill Murray with a thin moustache.

What's up with that?

Is that image a promotion of some specific project of Murray's? Or are people just all of a sudden feeling the need to show the world how much they like Bill Murray?

Or is it not Bill Murray at all? Am I mistaking someone else's image for Bill Murray?

Fill me in. What's going on here with these stickers?
No doubt inspired by Shepard Fairey's (of Obama "Hope" poster fame) early 90's Andre the Giant "Obey" sticker campaign. Imitation is highest form of flattery.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by quimper View Post
No doubt inspired by Shepard Fairey's (of Obama "Hope" poster fame) early 90's Andre the Giant "Obey" sticker campaign. Imitation is highest form of flattery.

It's probably not worth quibbling about, but the Murray image doesn't look to me like it was inspired by either of those. It's simply a black and white line sketch.

Anyway, having taken a quick look at the front my page of the Chive ant not having seen anything that calls out as a must-read, I'm now disappointed that Murray had given so much support in terms of his image to something not all that impressive.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Anyway, having taken a quick look at the front my page of the Chive ant not having seen anything that calls out as a must-read, I'm now disappointed that Murray had given so much support in terms of his image to something not all that impressive.
The Chive's readership numbers are impressive. I have no doubt Bill Murray was well compensated.

There's also a quid pro quo thing going on. The Chive is probably one of the bigger pillars propping up his fame and recognizability at this point. I wonder how many twenty-somethings would know who he was otherwise? Murray's heyday was in the 80s, and I'm not seeing a lot of young people wearing Chevy Chase or Rick Moranis tshirts.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Bill Murray's job now seems to be just being a really cool guy. If he can monetize it, more power to him.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:16 AM
In many ways, Murray is more popular than ever.

A couple of years ago, the New York Times had a good article on Murray's rise as a kind of secular saint. https://nytimes.com/2015/12/04/f...aint.html?_r=0

Quote:
There are murals of Bill Murray that decorate the interiors of bars from Toronto to Sydney, and tattoos of the actor’s face inked onto the arms and calves of 20- and 30-somethings. Tumblr blogs celebrate his awesomeness.

It’s clear that he has come to symbolize something. But what, exactly?

“There’s a lack of pretense, a lack of phoniness that people respond to,” said Robert Schnakenberg, author of “The Big Bad Book of Bill Murray,” an A to Z of the actor’s life and career published in September.

Zach Tutor, who runs one of the Tumblrs devoted to Bill Murray, went further, venturing to say that he embodies “the idea of living life to its fullest” and evokes “the sense of freedom that we all pursue.”

Last edited by madmonk28; 04-07-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:30 AM
He's one of the things (for whatever reason) that the hipsters have gravitated towards.

So I blame them.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Murray's heyday was in the 80s, and I'm not seeing a lot of young people wearing Chevy Chase or Rick Moranis tshirts.
Even Groundhog Day was in the 1990s. And you must have missed Lost in Translation and Moonrise Kingdom among several others.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
Even Groundhog Day was in the 1990s. And you must have missed Lost in Translation and Moonrise Kingdom among several others.
He also had a short-lived cameo in Zombieland (2009), and has earned Golden Globe nominations for Rushmore (1998), Hyde Park on Hudson (2012), and St. Vincent (2014), and won an Emmy for the HBO miniseries Olive Kittredge (2014). He is still very much in the public eye, both on-screen and in real life (the latter of which, as the NYT article linked upthread states, provides most of his hipster cred).
Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Also the instant classic Very Murray Christmas on Netflix. He works when he wants to and plays the rest of the time. He's like a slacker god.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:53 AM
https://thechivery.com/products/bill-fucking-murray

From the Chive.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Personally, I will not ride in a vehicle that doesn't have Bill Murray's likeness affixed somewhere prominent.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Also the instant classic Very Murray Christmas on Netflix. He works when he wants to and plays the rest of the time. He's like a slacker god.
Oh, wow -- I completely forgot about this. Murray's Christmas special strikes just the right note for the season.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:53 AM
I know, right? It's something everyone can watch at Xmas and actually be entertained.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post

I tried watching Very Murray Christmas but gave up five minutes in. Maybe I should give it another chance.

I really don't think Murray needs this Chive connection for his fame or his reputation, but whatever, I guess.

I like him enough that maybe I would have gotten a Bill Murray sticker just for himself (not for my car though), but definitely not now that I know it's a Chive thing, something that I have no interest in.

He has been in a solid number of movies in the last few decades. I don't think he's been coasting on his '80s fame.

I love Broken Flowers, Rushmore, Lost in Translation, Hyde Park on the Hudson, Life Aquatic, Royal Tenenbaums, and Groundhog Day and I love Murray in them. His cameo in Olive Kitteridge was solid.

I liked Grand Budapest Hotel, Darjeeling Limited, Coffee and Cigarettes, Ed Wood, and Monuments Men but had forgotten that Murray was in them.

I hated Mad Dog and Glory and What About Bob.

Stripes and Ghostbusters were a huge part of my childhood, but I can do without them as an adult.

I never liked Caddyshack nor did I like Murray's performance in it. It's all just dumb.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Quote:
I really don't think Murray needs this Chive connection for his fame or his reputation, but whatever, I guess.
Free money, I guess. Gotta pay for those Cubs tickets.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Free money, I guess. Gotta pay for those Cubs tickets.
He is owner/part owner of a couple of minor league teams and in the Carolina Minor League Hall of Fame, I bet he gets free tix. The article I linked to said he often doesn't pursue payment for a lot of the products with his likeness.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Quote:
It's like The Onion except with less heft.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
And Chevy Chase was on Community. That's not what "heyday" means. I'm not arguing that he wouldn't get work or that he wouldn't still be a celebrity without the Chive.

I'm just saying they're renewing his lease on fame, especially among the younger crowd. And even that may not be the right way to say it. He'd still be well known among movie buffs, just like Woody Allen. But 21 year olds aren't getting tattoos of Woody Allen's face over spring break, if you know what I mean. The Chive is granting Murray a different kind of fame. Meme-ification, if you will.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:53 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
I'm just saying they're renewing his lease on fame, especially among the younger crowd.
No, they're utilizing his fame and general coolness among the younger crowd. The Chive is benefiting from it more than Murray is; they look cool by being associated with him.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Personally, I will not ride in a vehicle that doesn't have Bill Murray's likeness affixed somewhere prominent.
Bill Murray Uber alles?
Old 04-07-2017, 03:20 PM
SDSAB
Quote:
I tried watching Very Murray Christmas but gave up five minutes in. Maybe I should give it another chance....
An earlier thread on the show: http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/...d.php?t=777314
Old 04-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Bill Murray Uber alles?
Lyft, actually.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Are people being serious about the Christmas special or is it sarcasm????
Old 04-07-2017, 08:55 PM
In what sense? I loved it and I fucking hate Christmas.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Are people being serious about the Christmas special or is it sarcasm????
What do you mean?