Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2017, 10:59 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 75,181
The pros and cons of buying Costco mayonnaise

I was surfing YouTube videos and I came across this one:

Here are the 8 food items you should only get from Costco - posted by Business Insider (May 19, 2016)

Item #3 on the list: Condiments - they specifically mention mayonnaise as something you should only get at Costco

And that one, unsurprisingly, had a direct link to this one:

Don't buy these items from Costco - posted by Business Insider (Sep 23, 2016)

Item #2 on the list: Condiments - they specifically mention mayonnaise as something you shouldn't buy at Costco

Seriously, guys, do you expect us to watch your click-bait when you aren't?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:31 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,378
Unless you are feeding a family of 10, who uses mayo fast enough to justify that? You're supposed to throw mayo out 2-4 months after opening it.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:44 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 42,031
I'm pretty sure our family of four went through our Costco mayo within 4 months. At any rate, it didn't go bad. I bought it last year on a recommendation here, and it's great mayo, but I haven't had a chance to go back and restock. I buy a normal sized jar (about 32 fl oz) of Hellman's every three weeks or so. The Costco jar is 64 oz, so, yeah, well within 4 months to finish.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-22-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:26 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Venial Sin City
Posts: 12,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Unless you are feeding a family of 10, who uses mayo fast enough to justify that? You're supposed to throw mayo out 2-4 months after opening it.
Cite? Maybe homemade. You don't even have to refrigerate mayonnaise.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:40 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 6,495
If you are using large amounts of mayo for certain other things, the jumbo super-economy sized is the way to go.

As for gambling on actually eating all the mayo before it goes bad, no. Don't do it. I'd never bet on mayo anyway. It's nearly impossible to beat the spread.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:44 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 28,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I'm pretty sure our family of four went through our Costco mayo within 4 months. At any rate, it didn't go bad. I bought it last year on a recommendation here, and it's great mayo, but I haven't had a chance to go back and restock. I buy a normal sized jar (about 32 fl oz) of Hellman's every three weeks or so. The Costco jar is 64 oz, so, yeah, well within 4 months to finish.
The 32-oz quart of mayonnaise has been replaced by the 30-oz "quart." It began several years ago, with the major producers (Kraft, Best Foods/Hellman's), and the store brands followed suit when it became apparent thag they weere going to get away with it.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:56 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 32,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
If you are using large amounts of mayo for certain other things, the jumbo super-economy sized is the way to go.

As for gambling on actually eating all the mayo before it goes bad, no. Don't do it. I'd never bet on mayo anyway. It's nearly impossible to beat the spread.
*throws potato salad at Biotop*
Old 06-23-2017, 01:58 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indonesia and Hawaii
Posts: 4,251
Seems like the "don't buy" advice was almost entirely based on "you won't use it up before it goes bad." But that's a decision for each individual consumer to make. I bought one of their gallon-size "Mediterranean oil" jugs (not recommended, according to the second video), and it is nearly all I use for fat - I bake bread with it, use it in marinades, scramble eggs in it, saute potatoes in it, and on and on. I expect to finish it before it goes rancid, no problem. But that's me; another person might not go through it so fast (it helps that I've been feeding 2 hungry teenagers for the past three weeks while my son and his girlfriend visit).

The bottom line is, no single list is going to be right for everyone.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:04 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 75,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Seems like the "don't buy" advice was almost entirely based on "you won't use it up before it goes bad." But that's a decision for each individual consumer to make. I bought one of their gallon-size "Mediterranean oil" jugs (not recommended, according to the second video), and it is nearly all I use for fat - I bake bread with it, use it in marinades, scramble eggs in it, saute potatoes in it, and on and on. I expect to finish it before it goes rancid, no problem. But that's me; another person might not go through it so fast (it helps that I've been feeding 2 hungry teenagers for the past three weeks while my son and his girlfriend visit).

The bottom line is, no single list is going to be right for everyone.
I'll admit to what I thought would be obvious: I posted this thread to amuse people not to provoke a genuine debate on the topic of buying mayonnaise.

I'm sure what happened as some video crew was given a deadline to fill a short video with some content and they grabbed the first set of factoids they could find.

But if I were discussing this issue seriously (which I guess I now am) I'd argue that the contradiction remains even when you take the supposed different standards used into account. Because the first video advises viewers to buy products from Costco because the price per unit is cheaper while the second video warns viewers that buying large quantities of products can be a bad idea because you won't have a chance to use the entire product before it goes bad. But the two standards are really the same thing; the reason Costco has the lowest price per unit is because it sells its products in large quantities. You get a better price per ounce if you buy a hundred ounce container than you do if you buy a twenty ounce one. But you lose money if you end up paying for eighty ounces you don't use. As you note, people should figure out what their particular needs are and shop accordingly.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:05 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 27,331
Why bother? It's easy to make it yourself. Egg yolk plus oil of your choice, a bit of mustard, pepper, and salt. Then add flavourings if required (mustard, garlic, etc).
Old 06-23-2017, 08:07 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 13,323
Anybody ever done a taste tgest side-by-side of supermarket mayos? Betcha can't tell the difference. And they all bad for you, by trivial degrees of variance.

And they do last safely forever, opened, without refrigeration. When camping, Ive eaten mayo left in the car for a year.

So buy the cheapest and forget about it.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-23-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:15 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Cite? Maybe homemade. You don't even have to refrigerate mayonnaise.
http://shelflifeadvice.com/content/h...-been-opened-0

Quote:
Kraft recommends that opened, refrigerated mayonnaise be discarded after 3 – 4 months (or 30 days after the expiration date if that comes sooner). The USDA says 2 months after opening. (The USDA’s recommendation refers to all brands; different brands contain somewhat different ingredients, for example, different levels of acidity.) Take your pick since this advice is based upon loss of quality not safety. After a few months, the color and/or flavor may deteriorate, but the mayonnaise will generally be safe to consume if your refrigerator temperature is at or below 40°F.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:05 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 42,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Betcha can't tell the difference.
Oh, I betcha we can. Some are eggier than others; their consistency is different; their degree of tartness; etc.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 42,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Why bother? It's easy to make it yourself. Egg yolk plus oil of your choice, a bit of mustard, pepper, and salt. Then add flavourings if required (mustard, garlic, etc).
Nah, it's still a pain in the ass, especially if doing by hand. And it doesn't last very long. And it doesn't taste anything like the commercial stuff (which can be good or bad, depending on your tastes. I like both commercial and homemade mayo, but on a sandwich, I want commercial mayonnaise 95% of the time). So, for when I want to make a sandwich on a whim for lunch, I want to reach for the jar of mayo and dirty one utensil (a knife), instead of whipping up a batch of mayonnaise.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Why bother? It's easy to make it yourself. Egg yolk plus oil of your choice, a bit of mustard, pepper, and salt. Then add flavourings if required (mustard, garlic, etc).
You know what's easier than that? Buying a jar of premade at the store.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 27,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Why bother? It's easy to make it yourself. Egg yolk plus oil of your choice, a bit of mustard, pepper, and salt. Then add flavourings if required (mustard, garlic, etc).
I made a delicious aioli the other night as part of our dinner. It was so delicious, my gf asked for more, but I'd only made enough to garnish our entrees.

And yeah, fresh made mayonnaise is fun and easy to make. I used it as a learning experience when my kids were little to explain about emulsions.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 17,867
Pro: Great Value!

Con: Need a dolly to wheel it to the car
Old 06-23-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 42,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Pro: Great Value!

Con: Need a dolly to wheel it to the car
Dude, it's the equivalent of 2-ish standard mayonnaise jars. Pretty sure you can carry it without any issue. I know you're making a joke at the giant quantities Costco sells, but their mayo is a reasonable quantity.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 32,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Dude, it's the equivalent of 2-ish standard mayonnaise jars. Pretty sure you can carry it without any issue. I know you're making a joke at the giant quantities Costco sells, but their mayo is a reasonable quantity.
Obviously, you never went in the back where they store the drums.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 75,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
And yeah, fresh made mayonnaise is fun and easy to make. I used it as a learning experience when my kids were little to explain about emulsions.
It's relatively easy to make. But if all you want is to make a tuna fish sandwich, do you really want to have to whip up a home-made batch of mayonnaise for it? I'm sure the sandwich would be better if I baked a fresh loaf of bread for it too but sometimes you just want quick convenience.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:59 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 48,610
I do hope you caught that tuna yourself.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 27,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
It's relatively easy to make. But if all you want is to make a tuna fish sandwich, do you really want to have to whip up a home-made batch of mayonnaise for it? I'm sure the sandwich would be better if I baked a fresh loaf of bread for it too but sometimes you just want quick convenience.
Totally see your point, but then again, maybe fresh baked bread and homemade mayonnaise should be the ideal way to go, especially if your tuna is sashimi grade ahi.

/foodie
Old 06-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anybody ever done a taste tgest side-by-side of supermarket mayos? Betcha can't tell the difference. And they all bad for you, by trivial degrees of variance.

And they do last safely forever, opened, without refrigeration. When camping, Ive eaten mayo left in the car for a year.

So buy the cheapest and forget about it.
I'll bet you eat alone a lot.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Pro: Great Value!

Con: Need a dolly to wheel it to the car
If you buy one size larger you only need a trailer hitch.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Totally see your point, but then again, maybe fresh baked bread and homemade mayonnaise should be the ideal way to go, especially if your tuna is sashimi grade ahi.

/foodie
If you waste sashimi maguro on tuna salad, you've gone beyond foodie into clueless hipster.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 27,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
If you waste sashimi maguro on tuna salad, you've gone beyond foodie into clueless hipster.
Best tuna sammich evar! (It was served at a beer-food pairing)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 13,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
I'll bet you eat alone a lot.
Yes, nobody else would eat anything that was ever near my kitchen. But I thrive on it.

BTW, when I started eating alone, I quickly lost 30 pounds, because I was no longer eating what somebody else wanted to eat when and where they wanted to eat it.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Smurf Village.
Posts: 10,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Why bother? It's easy to make it yourself. Egg yolk plus oil of your choice, a bit of mustard, pepper, and salt. Then add flavourings if required (mustard, garlic, etc).
Yeah but who really wants to wait the four to five years for the pepper plants to grow and mature in the garden waiting for the peppercorns. I want my PB & M sandwich now.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And they do last safely forever, opened, without refrigeration. When camping, Ive eaten mayo left in the car for a year.
Car mayo is the best.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:36 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Car mayo is the best.
After a year it's both food and bearing grease. So there's that going for you.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: 'burbs of Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 13,994
I buy the Costco sized mayo in November because a lot of my appetizers call for mayo and I know I'll use it up in no time. Otherwise, I prefer the smaller jars.

And while I won't eat bottled salad dressing (homemade is the only way to go), I still use bottled mayo for sammies and appies.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
If you waste sashimi maguro on tuna salad, you've gone beyond foodie into clueless hipster.
Hey, I put sashimi maguro in tuna salad before putting sashimi maguro in tuna salad was cool!
Old 06-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 75,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I do hope you caught that tuna yourself.
I raised him from a sardine.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I do hope you caught that tuna yourself.
You guys catch your tuna? Don't you know it's full of mercury?

Pfft. I raise my own tuna in my backyard tuna hatchery.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 50,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, nobody else would eat anything that was ever near my kitchen. But I thrive on it.

BTW, when I started eating alone, I quickly lost 30 pounds, because I was no longer eating what somebody else wanted to eat when and where they wanted to eat it.
Well that and the tapeworm, I suspect.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa View Post
I buy the Costco sized mayo in November because a lot of my appetizers call for mayo and I know I'll use it up in no time. Otherwise, I prefer the smaller jars.

And while I won't eat bottled salad dressing (homemade is the only way to go), I still use bottled mayo for sammies and appies.
Sammies and appies...

...sigh...

Never mind.


mmm
Old 06-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 10,366
The best tuna salad sandwich ever:
  • 100% bread flour
  • 58% water
  • 2% salt
  • 1.5% yeast
  • two eggs
  • 4 oz high quality olive oil
  • good pinch of salt
  • juice of two lemons
  • 1 tsp of good vinegar
  • 1 jar of fertilized salmon roe
  • 2 kg of salmon feed
  • 1 bottle of salmon antibiotics (option, if you only plant one salmon, no disease should spread).

Make bread, make mayo, raise salmon until mature then cook and flake. Combine mayo and flaked salmon. Apply to bread. Eat.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 12,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Why bother? It's easy to make it yourself. Egg yolk plus oil of your choice, a bit of mustard, pepper, and salt. Then add flavourings if required (mustard, garlic, etc).


Wait, you buy eggs, oil, mustard, garlic, etc?

It's so much easier to grow them yourself. Well, you grow the plants that you harvest the oil from, but you know what I meant. And hand-mined salt is soooooo much easier and tastier than store-bought.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
The best tuna salad sandwich ever:
  • 100% bread flour
  • 58% water
  • 2% salt
  • 1.5% yeast
  • two eggs
  • 4 oz high quality olive oil
  • good pinch of salt
  • juice of two lemons
  • 1 tsp of good vinegar
  • 1 jar of fertilized salmon roe
  • 2 kg of salmon feed
  • 1 bottle of salmon antibiotics (option, if you only plant one salmon, no disease should spread).

Make bread, make mayo, raise salmon until mature then cook and flake. Combine mayo and flaked salmon. Apply to bread. Eat.
But how do you get the tuna out of the salmons? And do you have to plant your own lemon tree from seed, or is using a seedling OK?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 32,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollonia View Post
But how do you get the tuna out of the salmons? And do you have to plant your own lemon tree from seed, or is using a seedling OK?
Salmon is the new Tuna. And you have to grow the tree you get the seeds from.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
You guys catch your tuna? Don't you know it's full of mercury?

Pfft. I raise my own tuna in my backyard tuna hatchery.
You raise naturally-evolved tuna in your backyard?

Pfft...I raise genetically engineered tuna (toxin-free, non-fishy flavored and possessing a zipper along their ventral plane for easy gut-removal). I hire a wet nurse to breast feed each baby fry to adulthood.

...and I only slaughter those tuna who have severe suicidal ideation, because killing happy tuna would be barbaric.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:35 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upper left hand corner
Posts: 4,526
Mayonnaise is just food lube. Hate it.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:40 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 10,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollonia View Post
But how do you get the tuna out of the salmons? And do you have to plant your own lemon tree from seed, or is using a seedling OK?
D'oh!
Old 06-24-2017, 07:50 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post


Wait, you buy eggs, oil, mustard, garlic, etc?

It's so much easier to grow them yourself. Well, you grow the plants that you harvest the oil from, but you know what I meant. And hand-mined salt is soooooo much easier and tastier than store-bought.
Don't forget the eggs. Naturally, you get them from free range chickens that you hand raised in your house, which live on only the finest of imported South American mosquitoes.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:14 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 32,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Don't forget the eggs. Naturally, you get them from free range chickens that you hand raised in your house, which live on only the finest of imported South American mosquitoes.
If they don't have access to the outdoors, they're not free range.

You import your mosquitoes? So much for American jobs.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:57 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 10,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
It's relatively easy to make. But if all you want is to make a tuna fish sandwich, do you really want to have to whip up a home-made batch of mayonnaise for it? I'm sure the sandwich would be better if I baked a fresh loaf of bread for it too but sometimes you just want quick convenience.
I don't remember the last time we had mayo in the house (we practically never use it), but if you have an immersion blender, you can make mayo in a couple of minutes. I think I did it the last time we needed some because I always have the ingredients in the house, but literally don't remember the last time I bought mayo.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
Mayonnaise is just food lube. Hate it.
Food Lube~! My new favorite word group for condiments.

(I call my bottle of Afrin "nose juice"....)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:17 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 31,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Car mayo is the best.
I heard two-year-old mayo found unopened in a forgotten dumpster is better.
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: battlefield promotion buffalo sucks chi chi spanish microwave screen door guner woman man hands rocky eggs aleve tooth pain xkcd 1663 swine penis define titrated routable ips songs about transgenders glue sniffing coprophagia humans standing blow job finding forrester bmw toddler chopsticks worm in banana smaller condoms female gargoyle names saline water cvs craig ferguson dancers eat my peach ammonia breakdown ace slogan indignant cat tom hagen godfather gasoline commercials polycarbonate lenses cleaning gn 4 s citizen watch dryer starts and stops can teller of penn teller talk ionizer fan what does it do can i switch phones by switching sim cards what does dinger mean can we guess your highest level of education meclizine for sleep aid songs with native american chanting star trek omega molecule minnesota twins logo history what does lay pipe mean old west swinging doors titanic wedding dress disaster plywood larger than 4x8 how to prepare a guava right lane ends merge left sign sometimes you eat the bear alice how long is forever chick fil a mayonnaise girl mating with gorilla celebrity iq scores low what is the 1 2 3 in automatic cars how to unnumb your face what does head feel like for a woman sudden indentation on leg luc havan jaco pastorius i can tie a knot in a cherry stem can aluminum foil burn is my car totaled if the airbags deployed personal trainers at planet fitness