Old 12-29-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member
Could a Juvenile Gorilla Harm A Human?

In this adorable video, a caretaker at a gorilla rescue center tickles a "baby" gorilla (I'd say more likely the gorilla equivalent of a toddler or preschooler, but that's neither here nor there), much to the animal's obvious delight.

An adult gorilla could, if he wanted to, rip a human to shreds without even breaking a sweat. But what about this wee one? If the caretaker somehow annoyed him and he reacted instinctively, would the caretaker be in danger?

Also, any guesses on what this animal weighs? The caretaker seems to be carrying him about without much effort, but he (the gorilla) seems solidly built; I'm guessing maybe 30kg.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:42 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Those teeth could certainly do some damage.

Heck, a really pissed off house cat (a lot smaller than that gorilla) can scratch and bite and make a bloody mess. And that baby gorilla has much bigger teeth than a house cat.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:55 AM
Charter Member
I couldn't see baby's fingernails very well, but if they're the least bit sharp I'd wager one swipe powered by those arms would tear human skin like a child ripping open a gift on Christmas morning.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:51 PM
Though I doubt it's normal infant gorilla behavior, any creature with teeth like that obviously could harm a human.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:53 PM
BANNED
Back in the 70s I had an interesting experience with a young gorilla (Tony). He was in a cage in a pet shop (back then apparently one could keep gorillas as pets!). He reached through the bars, touched both my knees and then my elbows. He then pulled my jaw down and looked into my mouth, he spent some time gazing into my mouth. Our eyes were just a few inches apart. Anyone here got an explanation for this very deliberate behaviour Tony displayed?

Last edited by SeniorCitizen007; 12-29-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:46 AM
He was sizing you up. Or maybe bored as hell in a cage.