Old 12-30-2017, 05:49 AM
Another case of a massed wild bee kamikaze attack when I was young, probably six or seven. The other boys had found a nest on a church picnic and got them riled up. I happened to be walking by and became the target. Face got swollen up and all that but otherwise survived.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:44 AM
I have been attacked by a Great Horned Owl, an Emu, and a Duck. I was once nipped by a puppy and have had a random assortment of cat bites and scratches. Oh, and a ferret sank his teeth in my thumb and I had to pry him off. The llama spat at me but I made my save throw. That one raccoon lunged at me but I cast Expeditious Retreat. I just bombed that whole encounter, actually.

I was attacked by a senile old donkey. This is only one that was potentially serious. It was winter. I was 16-ish. I was alone in the barn, which was all closed up. I went in the donkey's stall and cleaned it up. I gave him food and water and scritches. I turned to leave and as I opened the door, the donkey reared up, but his feet on my right shoulder and bit my left shoulder. I elbowed him in the throat and he got down. Then I ran out the door. I was wearing my winter coat, so the bite didn't leave a mark.

The donkey was old and demented but still strong enough to kill me if he wanted to. Fortunately, he was just confused and lonely and not really serious. Plus I was all alone in the barn at the time.

I'm not sure what the follow up was. I told my supervisor but it was winter and I wasn't around much again until Spring. I don't think they took any special precautions. By the spring, the donkey was back out on display and everything was business as usual. He never attacked me again, or anyone that I heard of. There were no special instructions about him, but I was careful to keep an eye on him when I was in their enclosure. I wasn't nervous around him (or anything else that's every bitten me). I was just extra patient and careful not to startle him. He was not normally violent or even very active. He was in his late twenties and spent all day dozing or getting pets.

It was a strange event. The whole time I spent working at the zoo was a strange event. Looking back, I can't believe we were allowed to get into all the trouble that we had. The 70's were a magical time.

Last edited by Merneith; 12-30-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member
I was giving a filthy white cat a bath when he clamped onto my hand and would not let go. I had to hold him under water for a minute before he loosened up.

Still have five little circular scars from that one.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:18 PM
If your cat is sitting on the window ledge, hissing through the screen at a random cat in the yard, DO NOT walk quietly up behind him and pick him up. He will get startled, dig every claw he owns into your flesh, and hold on for dear life as you shake your hand trying to dislodge him.

Or so I've heard.

mmm
Old 12-30-2017, 05:23 PM
I was playing with an ex-girlfriend's roomate's dog once, a black lab. I was on my knees and had the dog's rope toy. I was playing keep away with her, yanking it away at the last second. One time when I pulled it back I brought it too close to my face and she lunged for it and ended up biting open my right nostril.

Man did that ever bleed like crazy! I went to look into the mirror and my nostril was hanging there like a flap, so I knew I needed stitches. Went to the ER, got five stitches, called off work the next day. Until the stitches came out, it looked like I had big, black bristly hairs coming out of my nose.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:47 PM
Mammals: Just flesh wounds. Scratches from cats and dogs while playing with them. Twisted ankle from tripping over a black dog while playing in the dark. Cow stepped on my foot while I was milking it.

Birds, Fish, Reptiles, and Amphibians: Might have got stuck by a fin taking a fish off a hook. Flesh wound.

Insects: Wasp stung me pretty badly in the finger, got infected. Doctor had to dig deep to get the stinger out of my index finger. When I was kid the scar was very visible, I can barely see the scar now, some 50 yrs later.

Nothing real serious.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:07 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
My horse came to find me and gave me the whole "whatcha doin' down there" nudge. My coach was old fashioned, so it was back up for an easy walk around the arena, before I got off and went to urgent care for treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainstall View Post
My coach did not make me get up and get back on the horse. Someone else put my horse away while she drove me to the ER.
Is this a thing in horse husbandry? That you have to complete your duties, despite your injuries, unless they're nearly fatal? That's harsh.

Last edited by HeyHomie; 12-30-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:38 PM
I had my index finger chewed by a caged rabbit when I was no more than two or three. I do remember going to the hospital and only getting butterfly bandaids. I still have a scar and shortened finger. There is no lasting psycho trauma though.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:17 PM
born to be shunned
Wasps put me in the hospital once. And I was bitten by a beagle once but he was instantly sorry about it and all it needed was cleaned and bandaged well.

Many chihuahuas have tried to use me as a chew toy over the ages but with my usual clothing and reaction times they probably got the worse end of the stick. I still dislike the little yippers though.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:19 PM
Sabrina (our black Chow Chow) lay down behind me when I went to get a glass of water without turning on the lights. I turned, tripped over her, FOOSHED and fractured my elbow. (fell on my outstretched hand.)
Old 12-30-2017, 10:27 PM
I was playing with a hermit crab, and it pinched the fold of skin at the base of my finger. Man, did that bring tears to my eyes!
My friend thought it was hilarious.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:39 PM
The worst injury I ever received from an animal was from my cat, Gizmo, when I was sitting on the toilet with no shirt on, leaned over forwards. He jumped up onto the back of the toilet, and then onto my bare back, with his claws out. Hurt like a MOTHERFUCKER. I bled all over the place and had to call in from work.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 PM
I've gotten bee stings and cat scratches, but by far the worst damage any animal has ever done to me is stuff I've done to me. I have:

Cut the tip off a finger.
Grabbed a broiling pan that I had pre-heated. Ohmygoddidthathurt. The finger tip was more serious, and took longer to heal, but DAMN there is a big piece of the brain that does nothing but report "your thumb hurts".
Slipped on ice and given myself a concussion.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:59 PM
I required stitches after breaking up a dog fight. Stupid me, after separating the two dogs, I caught hold of the underdog in the same spot the aggressor had had a hold of him. He whipped his head around and bit me. Again, stupidly, I yanked my arm away before he could release. What would have been a minor puncture tuned out to be a two inch tear requiring stitches.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
I need to hear this story! Did it viciously attack you??
Did you see that scene in 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, when the crew fights off a giant squid?
Well, it wasn't like that.

I was diving a wreck and when I pocked my head out of a porthole (as one does) I bumped against an oyster growing on the top edge.

The cut wasn't quite deep enough to need stitching, but there were a couple of doctors on the boat who cleaned up the cut an patched me up with some kind of liquid bandaging goo, cuts like that can easily get infected so it was good to have a professional at hand right away.
I only wish they had told me how to remove the goo, I was literally pulling my hairs out trying to figure out how to get it off until I found acetone dissolved it.

Last edited by Ale; 12-30-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
Is this a thing in horse husbandry? That you have to complete your duties, despite your injuries, unless they're nearly fatal? That's harsh.
No, it's about not losing your nerve to ride. Which is a real thing that happens to a lot of people.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:50 PM
I have been hurt so many times by animals I could never add it up. This very morning my weird little Aussie who may as well be a Border Collie on uppers ran between my legs while I was jogging down our road and I fell flat, took the skin off a palm and later discovered my legging knee was caked inside with blood and grated skin as well. My horse has casually slugged me with her face, squished me against a wall, stepped on me, and occasionally I have fallen off her. That one time I fell on to my leatherman was a bad day.

I've been beaten by ganders (they have knobs on the bend of their wings just for beating things), bitten by ducks, smashed into the gravel by sheep, and kicked in the stomach by horses. Horses have also rolled on me, and dumped me off in many other creative ways. My most favorite dog sprained my fingers, pulled me off my feet numerous times, and on another occasion bit me on the lip (still have that scar) although it was just his impulsiveness. A rabbit recently attempted to disembowel me, unsuccessfully. If I don't have any place healing up from some animal it's been a slow week. But I have never been seriously damaged. Don't know why, it's not for lack of trying.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seal_cleaner View Post
Nothing major, but my daughter’s enthusiastic Labrador mix was so happy to see me, she jumped into my lap and gouged my forearm. It was the night before her wedding so I chucked indulgently. The bandage was covered at the ceremony.
Good for you not ruining the dog's wedding

I was largely brought up in a zoo, so I've had scratches and bites from a wide variety of things, but nothing at all serious.

The only real injury anyone in the family has had there was my brother, who was kicked in the stomach by a tiny sweet little orphan fawn someone had found by the side of the road and brought in. The little darling had hooves like razors, leaving the bro needing about 6 stitches. My brother was still at school at the time, and basically had to lie about what had done it to all his classmates to retain any scrap of street cred. Hospitalised by Bambi.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:23 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
Good for you not ruining the dog's wedding

I was largely brought up in a zoo, so I've had scratches and bites from a wide variety of things, but nothing at all serious.

The only real injury anyone in the family has had there was my brother, who was kicked in the stomach by a tiny sweet little orphan fawn someone had found by the side of the road and brought in. The little darling had hooves like razors, leaving the bro needing about 6 stitches. My brother was still at school at the time, and basically had to lie about what had done it to all his classmates to retain any scrap of street cred. Hospitalised by Bambi.
He should have said it was Bambo.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:18 PM
Charter Member
Minor puncture wound from a dog bite (naturally, a pit bull).

Dozens of yellow jacket stings while cleaning the yard.

A couple of months ago, I was inches away from having a hinny kick me in the face. I ducked just in time...
Old 12-31-2017, 06:04 PM
Lionfish sting, no question. It starts off hurting like unholy hell, then it gets worse for about 2 hours. I wouldn't wish a lionfish sting on my worst enemy.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Do sore legs from elephant riding count?
Old 01-02-2018, 02:59 PM
I've posted here before somewhere about the time I got bitten by a lion.

Not nearly as bad, and much more recently, I was viciously bitten by a neurotic rabbit. Three times in one summer.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
No, it's about not losing your nerve to ride. Which is a real thing that happens to a lot of people.
I can vouch for this. 30 years ago I broke 3 ribs and a collar bone when the horse I was riding was spooked by the neighbour firing a shotgun. The horse reared up, I fell off then the horse toppled backwards and landed on me.
(Ok it was a 14 1 pony to be precise)
After I got back to riding a few months later I was nervous, regardless which one I rode and the horses knew it and would basically take the piss and be uncooperative. It was very frustrating so I ended up giving up riding which was a shame as it used to be a lot of fun and good experience in just getting tasks done.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
It's not harsh. Ulfreida's right. It's to show you that nothing bad will happen. If necessary, your horse will be led to ensure nothing bad happens. It's also good for the horse, who just had a bad experience too. They learn that nothing bad will happen as well.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:04 PM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
I've posted here before somewhere about the time I got bitten by a lion.
Threadwinner. How on earth did this happen?!
Old 01-03-2018, 07:07 AM
Got bit by a dog once. Was riding by someone's house on my bicycle when a big husky ran out of the house and came after me. I pedaled fast, but he was faster; he clamped down on my calf, and left a pretty good puncture wound. The skin healed over the crater, and for a year or so it was this weird hollow soft space before it was eventually repopulated with flesh.

Had a horse step on my foot once. Hurt pretty good, but thankfully it was in soft loose dirt, so I think my foot didn't bear his full weight, and after a couple of seconds of me pushing on his shoulder in a mild panic, he moved over and all was well.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:36 AM
Charter Member
I fell off a horse when I was around 12 years old. I broke all the knuckles at the base of my left hand fingers, cracked my cheekbone, had road rash all up one side of my face, and had a concussion. That was a sucky summer, with the cast and all so I couldn't go swimming!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:29 AM
When I was around the age of 2 my dog licked me on the face and probably slurped into my mouth. I ended up in the hospital for about 2 weeks. I was in an oxygen tent. They took a tissue sample from my left calf that today is 3 inches long by half an inch wide. That eventually allowed them to figure out what was killing me: my dog had picked up a parasite from the neighbors' imported Chihuahua (in the 70s that was the "new" breed du jour) and passed it onto me. I got lucky: I lived with only asthma problems and the nice scar on the back of my leg. My dog was not so lucky: while I was in the hospital he collapsed, became paralyzed in his hindquarters and was put down.

When I was 4 I tried to "save" my sister's girl dog from being beaten up by the neighbor's boy dog. He (a white shepherd with pink nose) did not like me coming between them while he was attempting to mount her. The bite to my face caught the corner of my mouth and you can still see faintly the scars.

I was bit on my forehead by a colt. No lasting damage other than to not ever want to own a horse myself (they are pretty money pits.)

At around age 10 I was walking one of our bluetick coonhounds and she decided she was going left when I wanted to go right. It was winter and we were going downhill. She ended up dragging me on my belly for about a block. Luckily it was snow over grass vs we were headed for the street. My pride was hurt more than my sprained wrist.

At 14 I was separating 2 brother hamsters that were fighting like I had countless times before but this time one accidentally bit me. I ran cold water over my finger... it kept bleeding. I applied pressure... it kept bleeding. I rolled it in flour and it still kept bleeding. About the time I started to panic and wake my parents up to take me to the ER it finally stopped bleeding. A decade later I was reading about hamsters before buying one for my kids and, yeah, you don't keep Syrian Hamsters together in cages.

Our cockatoo has bit me hard enough to bruise but he does more damage just stepping on my arm: his talons get wickedly sharp from natural perches but he does hold his feet up to get them trimmed. One day he decided to fly from my husbands shoulder to me when I didn't expect it (I had earbuds in) and was wearing a tank top. He landed, I startled, he slid and I ended up with 1 almost gash and 1 poke mark on the back of shoulder. He only has 1 front talon (lost the other to age related atrophy to an injury from when he was a baby (amputated)). The poke mark was how he stopped sliding.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:19 AM
The cat had snuck outside, and was ensconced under a chair on the porch, doing her best to ignore a couple of stray dogs that wanted to play (not aggressive, just sniffing around).

The kids (and me too to be honest) thought she needed to rescued (she was in theory an indoor cat). I picked her up, and she, quite reasonably, figured that she was safer from the dogs under the chair with all four paws on the ground then being picked up by some doofus. She bit and scratched quite well (I'll use a towel if there is a next time). Posted a picture online on another board showing the scratches, and someone said I should get them looked at. The doctor wasn't interested in the inflamed scratch marks, but told me that if I didn't take the full course of antibiotics I was likely to lose the finger that had been bitten (which was just starting to swell).
Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
Threadwinner. How on earth did this happen?!
Very short version: hotel in Zimbabwe offered busing to various cruddy tourist traps. One was called "walk with lion cubs". The "cubs" turned out to be nearly grown up in our case. Ouchies ensued. Hospital ensued. Eventually, skin grafts ensued.

Edit: found my original post, from about a year after the accident.

Last edited by Malleus, Incus, Stapes!; 01-03-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Rockin' t-shirt!