Old 12-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Oh, yeah, I remember the Krispy Kreme Kraze. That would have been, what, mid-late 90s maybe? Lines all around the block for at least the first few days or weeks. Then settled into normalcy for a few years. Now almost every one of them is gone. I think there may be one left in the Chicago area, up near Schaumburg (looks like Elk Grove Village.) There was one a half-block from my house (and my brother worked there through college), but I almost never went there, as I'm not much of a donut person. I must say, though, hot-out-of-the-fryer they were f'ing good, but only worth it for the hot-out-of-the-fryer donuts.

Sonic I never noticed the craze for, but I still haven't been to one because -- I know this is going to sound stupid -- but I'm not exactly sure how to order at one. There's one about two miles from my house that's been there for, gosh, almost a decade now, but every time I've passed it, I've never felt like figuring it out. I'm sure it's stupidly self-explanatory, but it's a different set-up than a normal drive-through, and I've never bothered to try it. What's supposed to be particularly good there?
it's a drive-in/drive up kind of like a lot of A&Ws. you drive up to the parking spot, there's an intercom with a menu, you tell 'em what you want, and they bring it out to you.

oh, they usually also have a walk-up window.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:48 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Oh, yeah, I remember the Krispy Kreme Kraze. That would have been, what, mid-late 90s maybe? Lines all around the block for at least the first few days or weeks. Then settled into normalcy for a few years. Now almost every one of them is gone. I think there may be one left in the Chicago area, up near Schaumburg (looks like Elk Grove Village.) There was one a half-block from my house (and my brother worked there through college), but I almost never went there, as I'm not much of a donut person. I must say, though, hot-out-of-the-fryer they were f'ing good, but only worth it for the hot-out-of-the-fryer donuts.

Sonic I never noticed the craze for, but I still haven't been to one because -- I know this is going to sound stupid -- but I'm not exactly sure how to order at one. There's one about two miles from my house that's been there for, gosh, almost a decade now, but every time I've passed it, I've never felt like figuring it out. I'm sure it's stupidly self-explanatory, but it's a different set-up than a normal drive-through, and I've never bothered to try it. What's supposed to be particularly good there?

If you can park and push a red button, you've got it handled.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:58 AM
Charter Member
OK, maybe one day I'll work the courage up to try it. (The only A&W's I've seen around here are in malls, so I've never experienced the drive-in thing. I only know them from movies set in the 50s, and a place called Superdawg here, but I've always walked inside to order. I know I sound like a complete idiot here, and I've dealt with far more complex ordering systems in foreign countries, but somehow, I've never felt the urge to tackle the drive-in. )

So, what is supposed to be good there that has people lining up when they open? I think I heard someone say their hot dogs are good, but I live in Chicago, so that hasn't been enough to get me over there.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:11 AM
Charter Member
I used to enjoy Sonic's banana milkshakes. Otherwise it's typical craptacular fast food. It's not like anyplace in the USA is short of other sources for that.

I can certainly see the nostalgia trip for people who grew up with fast food Brand X then moved to a part of the country that doesn't have Brand X. Then Brand X finally opens a store nearby. other than that, the whole lines-around-the-block for anyplace are just the lemmings doing mass hysteria driven by clever mass marketing.

The sadness about the nostalgia meal is that both your tastes and their recipes have changed in 20 or 30 years. So it's usually pretty disappointing when you do get one. And worse of course if you go early in the new place's life when the crew can't find its collective ass with all its collective hands.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 12-30-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
OK, maybe one day I'll work the courage up to try it. (The only A&W's I've seen around here are in malls, so I've never experienced the drive-in thing. I only know them from movies set in the 50s, and a place called Superdawg here, but I've always walked inside to order. I know I sound like a complete idiot here, and I've dealt with far more complex ordering systems in foreign countries, but somehow, I've never felt the urge to tackle the drive-in. )

So, what is supposed to be good there that has people lining up when they open? I think I heard someone say their hot dogs are good, but I live in Chicago, so that hasn't been enough to get me over there.
Yech, I don't think you'll like there dogs (that are warmed up, bun and all in the microwave).

Their onion rings are quite good, as well as their cherry lime-ades.

The rest, in my opinion, is average.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
In-n-out was the most underwhelming thing I've experienced. A fast food burger with horrible fries was not the second coming it was made out to be.
If you mean fries created from real potatoes and cut and washed in front of your eyes and thrown straight into the fryer as horrible.....? Or are you used to the mass market fries made from reconstructed potatoes and shipped frozen?
Old 12-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
If you mean fries created from real potatoes and cut and washed in front of your eyes and thrown straight into the fryer as horrible.....? Or are you used to the mass market fries made from reconstructed potatoes and shipped frozen?
Are you sure you're not thinking of Five Guys?

In and Out fries are pretty much identical to McDonald's.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Quote:
if SDMB allowed inline images, I'd be posting this one here.

a single step fry is an incredibly hard way to get them to cook properly. either they're under-cooked in the center, or if you ask for them "well done" and they're over-crunchy and oily.

two stage cooking (where you par-cook them first, then finish off at a higher fry temperature) is not "reconstructed potatoes." Penn Station does their fries the same way as In-n-out and they're bad too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr!
do you have taste buds?

Last edited by jz78817; 12-30-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post

Not so. In-n-Out uses REAL potatoes for theirs.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member
Quote:

They’re not even close to McDonalds fries. McDonalds are actually good. Like I said, I love In n Out, but I hate the fries.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Not so. In-n-Out uses REAL potatoes for theirs.
so does McDonald's. this s**t is getting really tiring.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
In n Out have simple but perfect cheeseburgers served freshly cooked. Apart from the wait, what could possibly keep you away save vegetarianism?
Last two times I ate at In n Out the burgers were not just pink but cold in the middle. No thank you.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Last two times I ate at In n Out the burgers were not just pink but cold in the middle. No thank you.
I don’t even know how that’s possible unless they didn’t cook it at all. I’ve never been able to get anything under well there, due to the thinness of the patties.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Charter Member
Quote:

do you have taste buds?

Yes. Which is why the only French Fries that are allowed to grace my pallet are made from potatoes grown in the Ukraine. Washed and cut by the hands of immigrant slave children at precisely the stoke of midnight.

Anything less is for rubes.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Yes. Which is why the only French Fries that are allowed to grace my pallet are made from potatoes grown in the Ukraine. Washed and cut by the hands of immigrant slave children at precisely the stoke of midnight.

Anything less is for rubes.
Ah, a fan of Smashburger, I see.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member
The only restaurant I ever saw a really long line at was that rain forest restaurant at Disney's Boardwalk. Needless to say I didn't eat there.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Quote:
In n Out have simple but perfect cheeseburgers served freshly cooked. Apart from the wait, what could possibly keep you away save vegetarianism?
I'm with the other responders. Their burgers are okay (not as good as the local places) but their fries suck big time. I've had them both styles - one was crunchy, the other was underdone. Worst fast food fries I've ever had, and I've been to Burger Chef.
Not worth going out of my way and standing in line for.
I also don't like the snotty "we have good food but you need the secret code word to get it" vibe.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:36 PM
In-N-Out burgers are great, but they must be laced with heroin or something -- that's the only explanation for the ridiculously long drive-thru lines every time I go there. What's really crazy is that if you park and go inside, there's rarely more than a 5 to 10 minute wait at the walkup counter. But that would require actually parking and walking inside, which defeats the whole purpose of going out for fast food, right?

Every so often I'll order In-N-Out's french fries just to see if I get a batch that doesn't totally suck. Hasn't happened yet.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
In-N-Out burgers are great, but they must be laced with heroin or something -- that's the only explanation for the ridiculously long drive-thru lines every time I go there. What's really crazy is that if you park and go inside, there's rarely more than a 5 to 10 minute wait at the walkup counter. But that would require actually parking and walking inside, which defeats the whole purpose of going out for fast food, right?

Every so often I'll order In-N-Out's french fries just to see if I get a batch that doesn't totally suck. Hasn't happened yet.
As long as they do the cut fresh and single fry, they will never improve. As jz78817 outlined, the way to good crispy fries is a double fry-par cook at a lower temp then high temp fry for crisp.
Fries will still taste as fresh if they cut, cook, cool and then 2nd fry to order.

The frozen fries used by McD. and others are par-cooked at the factory then frozen.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Oh, yeah, I remember the Krispy Kreme Kraze. . .
Me too. I was driving taxi in L.A at that time, which eventually taught me where the best (Cambodian made) donuts could be found at 3:00 am. So when everyone started ranting about Krispy Kreme, I thought they must be some kind of heavenly treat. I finally got to try one and couldn’t believe how ordinary they are, like any other donuts. I suspected that they had contracted some kind of viral marketing firm to generate the undeserved publicity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
When I stop for fast food it's often funny to see a long line at the drive-up and almost nobody inside. I can usually park, go inside, order, get my take-out food, and walk out to find the last car in line when I went in hasn't ordered yet, much less been served.
This is especially true with drive-through Starbucks.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Quote:
two stage cooking (where you par-cook them first, then finish off at a higher fry temperature) is not "reconstructed potatoes."
I can't say I ever have given french fries that much thought, but now that I do, this makes sense, because the same essentially applies to "home fries," etc., which people serve for breakfast. If you take a fresh potato, cut it up, and just fry it only, the results aren't usually that good.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Charter Member
Fast food needs to be fast. Anything more than a small queue and I'm headed elsewhere.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Me too. I was driving taxi in L.A at that time, which eventually taught me where the best (Cambodian made) donuts could be found at 3:00 am. So when everyone started ranting about Krispy Kreme, I thought they must be some kind of heavenly treat. I finally got to try one and couldn’t believe how ordinary they are, like any other donuts. I suspected that they had contracted some kind of viral marketing firm to generate the undeserved publicity. This is especially true with drive-through Starbucks.
i understand that you have to get them right out of the oven for the "specialness".

The was a KK in Modesto some years back. Didn't last long. They couldn't have picked a worse location for access. Near the freeway on one of the major roads. The traffic light sequencing was the most fucked-up mess I've ever seen and made getting to the side street a near impossibility.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:26 PM
Quote:

"Five Guys" is probably called that because it would take five guys to eat one of those meals.

I patronized them a few times when I lived in the St. Louis area.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
"Would you wait that long for fast food?"

I didn't know waiting for junk food was a thing. In 2 hours I could buy ground beef, make the healthier burgers and enjoy eating them in the comfort of my living room. Junk food outlets are the last resort, not something I'd wait for!
^ this. I eat fast food if it is the only option available, and since that's almost never the case, I rarely eat fast food. I remember when Sonic first opened in Omaha years ago, and there were huge lines/waits. I tried it eventually, and was underwhelmed by what seemed like perfectly mediocre burgers. I couldn't believe people waited for that when there were a dozen other fast food joints within a stone's throw with no lines at all.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
"Five Guys" is probably called that because it would take five guys to eat one of those meals.

I patronized them a few times when I lived in the St. Louis area.
4 guys to hold the 5th guy down and force-feed him? Because that's what it would take to get me to eat there again.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:35 PM
Charter Member
Agree they're nothing special. It's not a McD's factory burger, but other than that it's simply yet another generic hamburger n' fries joint. I can think of a half-dozen equivalent chains in most areas of the country.

I suppose there are connoisseurs of fast food. Like Arrendajo I'm not one of them. There are times it's necessary. But they're always an evil necessary, not a nice necessary.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:59 PM
I was in a tiny village once (pop. 83) they had a cafe that was open 7am to 1pm and only se bed hasbrowns, eggs, bacon, and toast.

Café was filled to capacity, all 4 tables had patrons in every seat.

Long story short I waited 2 hours for hasbrowns and eggs
Old 12-31-2017, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
4 guys to hold the 5th guy down and force-feed him? Because that's what it would take to get me to eat there again.
Greasiest burgers on earth. But sometimes it hits the spot
Old 12-31-2017, 06:31 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Worst fast food fries I've ever had, and I've been to Burger Chef.
I was only eight or nine when mine became Hardee's, but I don't remember anything particularly bad about them. Disclaimer: like I said, I was only eight or nine!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:06 PM
Quote:
I've been to Five Guys twice; the second time I was with someone who insisted on eating there. Everything is swimming in grease. I hope there won't be a third time.

I also didn't think it was possible for a fast-food place to irritate me with ugly decor, but Five Guys succeeded. FYI if you haven't been there, their walls are covered with reviews describing how mind-blowingly wonderful Five Guys is; here's a photo. Evidently they need to reassure customers who are already inside the place eating grease.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
I've been to Five Guys twice; the second time I was with someone who insisted on eating there. Everything is swimming in grease. I hope there won't be a third time.
not my experience. But yeah, the "little" burger is more than enough for me. I can't figure out who would eat a regular one in one sitting.

Last edited by jz78817; 12-31-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:15 AM
Charter Member
There have been epic lines and traffic jams every time a Chick-Fil-A opens in the Seattle area. One is opening soon in the small town of Covington. I expect traffic in the town is going to come to a standstill for days.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Novelty inspires its own sort of madness. For decades people have been wishing that In-N-Out would open in our town. Mind you, there are locations less than 10 miles away. But once one opened within the city limits...

It's been a year and a half now, and I've never seen there not be a 5 car deep line at the drive-thru window.
The one that's 2.5 miles away from my apartment has been here for at least twenty years (as long as I've been living here), and STILL has constant lines like that at the drive-thru.

ETA: And that's when business is light. It's not uncommon to see lines wrapped all the way around the building, just to get to the payment window (they send staff out with an e-tablet to take your order).

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-01-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:33 PM
SDSAB
I think the longest I've ever waited for a seat at a restaurant was 45 minutes, and that was on a weekend, at a very nice place that didn't take reservations. I would never, ever wait more than 20 minutes for fast food. I'd go elsewhere or just go home and make a PB&J. No fast food - none - is worth waiting 2 hours.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:23 AM
I have the same experience with food trucks outside major events. Always with giant lines and you have to wait in line for 30 minutes to pay, then wait another 20 minutes for your food to actually be cooked-up. It's far easier to just frequent the hot dog stand inside the venue or (if possible) walk across the street from the venue to find something else. LA Convention Center I go to about 4 times a year for various events and it's always the exact same situation, 80 people in line for a burrito truck, or 20 people in line for a hot dog or burger in one of the food stands inside the center.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:58 AM
15 minutes is about my max wait time for fast food, and that's only if I've already paid, and the wait is for pickup. 15 minutes for actually ordering? Fuhgeddaboutit.

I remember when the Krispy Kreme Kraze hit, and thinking that was totally bonkers. As a teen at the beginning of the 1970s, I frequently patronized the KK on US 1 just south of Alexandria, because they were cheap (glazed were 6˘ each) so it was no big deal to grab a dozen and share with friends over at the UCM coffeehouse. They were made mostly of air, and the non-air part was 99% sugar and fat, perfect for a teenage guy's taste buds.

I had one during the Kraze. Same donuts, only now they were nearly a buck apiece. Still mostly air. And people were going nuts over them. I didn't get it, and still don't.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Jack in the Box is novel??
Actually, yes. I've never been in one; never seen one other than in Los Angeles, and that was decades ago. They're not in Maryland, Virginia, or DC as best as I can tell. They aren't in Florida where my in-laws live. They aren't in any of the places I've been to school. Excepting L.A. (because I was 4 years old when we moved east), I've never lived anywhere with a Jack in the Box anywhere remotely nearby. I didn't even know they were still in existence.

Looking at their website, most places seem to either have saturation Jack in the Box coverage, or no Jack in the Box presence at all.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Actually, yes. I've never been in one; never seen one other than in Los Angeles, and that was decades ago. They're not in Maryland, Virginia, or DC as best as I can tell. They aren't in Florida where my in-laws live. They aren't in any of the places I've been to school. Excepting L.A. (because I was 4 years old when we moved east), I've never lived anywhere with a Jack in the Box anywhere remotely nearby. I didn't even know they were still in existence.

Looking at their website, most places seem to either have saturation Jack in the Box coverage, or no Jack in the Box presence at all.
Yeah, ditto in Chicago. I'm in Phoenix right now, so there's a bunch around, but their mascot Jack is the creepiest fast food mascot (yes, creepier than The King) that I haven't had the urge to try them (although I'm almost poisitve I've had them once or twice in the past when I took a Greyhound from LA to Chicago, which may be why I've also never wanted to step into one. I just can't remember if it was Jack in the Box or Hardees that we kept stopping at, but it's six to one, half dozen to the other for me. I haven't been to either of them since that Greyhound trip.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-02-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Same type thing a happened here in Dallas when In-and-Out Burger opened up. I waited 6 months before even attempting to go.

And when I did, it wasn't even all that remarkable. I mean, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't:"OMG Great!!" either.
Not sure if you're talking about the one over in Allen or not, but here's a video of the drive-thru line when that one opened in 2011. Still blows my mind.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jQowy9DdY8k
Old 01-03-2018, 01:22 AM
As a policy I won't go to a new restaurant in it's first 3 months. No interest in the combination of new hires and curious customers. It compounds the problem and makes everything terrible for everyone.

The whole point of fast food is it's fast. If it was slow I'd never eat it, stuff is terrible.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:15 AM
If I'm lining up to eat then I am eating at a soup kitchen.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:51 PM
The first WaWa just opened in DC and people lined up down the block for a convenience store. People are dumb and they mostly do what they’re told.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Place Show View Post
Not sure if you're talking about the one over in Allen or not, but here's a video of the drive-thru line when that one opened in 2011. Still blows my mind.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jQowy9DdY8k
Holy crap! Like I said, I love me some In N Out, but these people are on another level in their passion. Holy cannoli.