Old 01-08-2018, 12:49 PM
The Bears just hired Chief's O Coordinator Matt Nagy as their new head coach.

http://chicagobears.com/news/art...c-4014791bb99d

Interesting decision here, I think. There are several other head coaches who have worked under Andy Reid and Reid seems to do a pretty good job of grooming them for the next step. Nagy did a good job of directing KC's offense (Reid says that he called all the bad plays and Nagy called all the good plays) and he's high on Bears QB Trubisky. We'll see how this turns out, but I'm hopeful.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
The Bears just hired Chief's O Coordinator Matt Nagy as their new head coach.

http://chicagobears.com/news/art...c-4014791bb99d

Interesting decision here, I think. There are several other head coaches who have worked under Andy Reid and Reid seems to do a pretty good job of grooming them for the next step. Nagy did a good job of directing KC's offense (Reid says that he called all the bad plays and Nagy called all the good plays) and he's high on Bears QB Trubisky. We'll see how this turns out, but I'm hopeful.
Reid's DC/STCs tend to be hits. His OCs much less so. The fact that Reid usually calls the plays and is the defacto OC probably contributes to this. As a Bears fan, I'm hoping the trend changes and that later-in-life Andy did a better job of delegating in KC. Certainly signs are good looking at Pederson in Philly.

The consensus fan pick (a bare majority I think) was DeFilippo from Philly. That was my pick and I was drinking the Koolaid hard on that cat. He's young and frankly it's probably a little too early for him, but pretty much everything I've read and seen makes him out to be a born leader. That's the thing I like most moreso than Xs and Os for our next HC. Flip read to me like a guy that would lead the organization and let his Coordinators work. While hiring a OC or DC to be your HC can be really successful, I think these guys usually plateau until they step back from the day-to-day which seems to happen only rarely.

McDaniels is interesting, but I have reservations about the culture he'd create. He failed in Denver and I'm not sure how going back to the Belicheck nest would change that this time around. Maturity and humility I guess, but Belicheck and Brady haven't changed. He might be great, but I'm happy to roll the dice on new blood.

Nagy was probably my second choice after Flip. None of the DCs are special enough to justify gambling with Biscuit, though I pray we keep Fangio, and a retread like Shurmur did nothing for me. He's inexperienced and I worry a little bit about his ability to command the locker room and hold up to the Chicago media and fans. Reid and everyone around KC raves about the guy which counts for something and he's got a bit of a feel-good story going, but he doesn't really have the "QB whisperer" thing that we supposedly wanted. Nonetheless, he's new blood, new ideas and supposedly loved Mitch in the draft. Reid's system works and they ran the ball great, which suits our personnel. He claims to favor retaining Fangio which will be a coup if Vic buys in.

If developing Mitch weren't such a high-priority and if I wasn't terrified of a revolving door at both Coordinator spots, I'd have been all-in for Dave Toub. The guy deserves a shot and will be great. Players will love him and if he has a rock-solid QB in place, I have no doubt he's got the connections to build a great staff.

Presser tomorrow...lets hope it starts with an announcement about Fangio coming back for big money, he earned it.

Last edited by Omniscient; 01-08-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:47 AM
A lot of buzz now says Matt Patricia is headed to the Giants.

Any truth to it? I dunno. There probably can't be any official announcement until the Patriots' season is over.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 PM
Seahawks released their OC. There’s speculation that their o-line/backs coach might be on the way out too.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Corellian Nerfherder
News from Titletown:

- Former Browns head coach Mike Pettine is the new defensive coordinator. With this move, I've heard here on the Chicago news that Matt Nagy is now hoping to entice Vic Fangio (who had been interviewing with the Packers) to remain in the role with the Bears.
- QB coach Alex Van Pelt is departing, to seek a job as an offensive coordinator. He's being replaced by Frank Cignetti, most recently QB coach with the Giants.
- On the heels of Brian Gutekunst being named the new GM last week, Eliot Wolf (son of longtime Packer GM Ron Wolf) is departing, to join John Dorsey in Cleveland. This wasn't unexpected, as Wolf had been a finalist for the Packers' GM post.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-10-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Seahawks released their OC. Thereís speculation that their o-line/backs coach might be on the way out too.
And their DC and QBs coach. My guess is that Cable stays (why wait if they were going to fire him?) but the whole O-Line/RBs/Asst Head Coach role is weird and possibly unstable.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
And their DC and QBs coach. My guess is that Cable stays (why wait if they were going to fire him?) but the whole O-Line/RBs/Asst Head Coach role is weird and possibly unstable.
Nope, Cableís now gone. Rumor is he might go back to Oakland where he was once HC and work for Gruden. Just a rumor right now.

But yes, Bevell and Cable are fired. For many fans tired of having no running game and still chafing over the end of SB 49 itís a bit of a relief.

Kris Richard not returning is a bit of a surprise, I thought he was okay and was hoping heíd stay. His situation seems a bit different. In his case itís less of a ďyouíre firedĒ and more of a, ďwe wonít make a fuss if you go somewhere elseĒ. The last two DCs left to run teams (and Dan is still Atlantaís head coach) so itís a bit jarring to have a DC be sort-of fired. I hope they have someone in mind to replace him, probably a defense positions coach.

The offense though looks to be getting completely revamped as far as coaching goes. I think thatís due and I like it.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Corellian Nerfherder
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
News from Titletown:

- Former Browns head coach Mike Pettine is the new defensive coordinator. With this move, I've heard here on the Chicago news that Matt Nagy is now hoping to entice Vic Fangio (who had been interviewing with the Packers) to remain in the role with the Bears.
- QB coach Alex Van Pelt is departing, to seek a job as an offensive coordinator. He's being replaced by Frank Cignetti, most recently QB coach with the Giants.
- On the heels of Brian Gutekunst being named the new GM last week, Eliot Wolf (son of longtime Packer GM Ron Wolf) is departing, to join John Dorsey in Cleveland. This wasn't unexpected, as Wolf had been a finalist for the Packers' GM post.
And, I finally found confirmation of something I'd seen a rumor of a few hours ago: Joe Philbin (former Dolphins head coach, and before that, OC for the Packers from 2007-2011) replaces Edgar Bennett as offensive coordinator.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-10-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Nope, Cableís now gone.
If I'm going to completely fail in my predictions, I prefer to fail fast and move on...
Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Fangio is thankfully back with the Bears. The Bears have also now hired an OC (Mark Helfrich), and OL, RB Coaches. Presumably most of the defensive staff will be back. Good that they can staff up while everyone else is waiting.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:33 AM
Charter Member
Browns fire Hue. "lol Browns, how do they expect anyone to get anything done when they start over every two years?"

Browns keep Hue. "Lol Browns, Hue is horrible, you're such a joke"

Seen it one way or the other every year.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Nope, Cableís now gone. Rumor is he might go back to Oakland where he was once HC and work for Gruden. Just a rumor right now.
No longer a rumor, Cable is reportedly the new o-line coach for Oakland.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Browns fire Hue. "lol Browns, how do they expect anyone to get anything done when they start over every two years?"

Browns keep Hue. "Lol Browns, Hue is horrible, you're such a joke"

Seen it one way or the other every year.
The difference is that Hue has shown to be a horrible coach for the Browns. 1-31 is plenty of proof to show the guy simply can't make it in that organization. Granted, the rest of the team is pretty crappy too, but that all, eventually, falls on Haslam. Jackson's quarterback roulette did nothing to help the team win. It's one thing to pull the plug on a coach who's only been around for a couple years. It's another thing to pull the plug on a coach who appears to be actively tanking your team.

ETA: Eliot Wolf has been signed as the Browns' Assistant GM. John Dorsey, the new GM, worked in the front office of the Packers as head of college scouting and eventually director of football operations, before taking a GM position with the Chiefs. Wolf is young (36), but has grown up a scout. I see this as a temporary position to springboard him into a GM role elsewhere - he was interviewed by the Packers (where he's worked his entire life) before they settled on Gutekunst. I wish him the best, and may God have mercy on his soul in Cleveland.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 01-13-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Added a nut
Old 01-13-2018, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
ETA: Eliot Wolf has been signed as the Browns' Assistant GM. John Dorsey, the new GM, worked in the front office of the Packers as head of college scouting and eventually director of football operations, before taking a GM position with the Chiefs. Wolf is young (36), but has grown up a scout. I see this as a temporary position to springboard him into a GM role elsewhere - he was interviewed by the Packers (where he's worked his entire life) before they settled on Gutekunst. I wish him the best, and may God have mercy on his soul in Cleveland.
He might learn some valuable lessons in what not to do as a GM which may serve him well in his career.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:15 AM
According to my CBS sports app, the Titans have parted ways with coach Mike Mularky.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM
So it's most likely Shumer to Arizona, which leave Patricia for Giants or Lions and McDaniels for Colts or Titans. What's the back up plan for those teams?
Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 AM
Prayer?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:39 PM
We'll we're just about wrapped up.
Done:
Cardinals - Steve Wilks
Titans - Mike Vrabel

Pending:
Giants - Pat Shurmur
Colts - Josh McDaniels
Lions - Matt Patricia

Last edited by enalzi; 01-22-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:43 PM
Charter Member
Haley hired as Browns OC. I'm cautiously optimistic here. I know Steelers fans blame anything bad on him, but 1) what do they know? and 2) his offenses are always very productive. Beats not having one, at least.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:25 PM
Quote:
I know Steelers fans blame anything bad on him, but 1) what do they know?
Dunno why but that made me chuckle.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
We'll we're just about wrapped up.
Done:
Cardinals - Steve Wilks
Titans - Mike Vrabel

Pending:
Giants - Pat Shurmur
Colts - Josh McDaniels
Lions - Matt Patricia
I'm glad to see Vrabel getting a chance with the Titans. I loved him as a player in NE - very versatile, good football IQ, hard worker. I hope he has success. He seems to have rocketed up the coaching ladder quite rapidly.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Haley hired as Browns OC. I'm cautiously optimistic here. I know Steelers fans blame anything bad on him, but 1) what do they know? and 2) his offenses are always very productive. Beats not having one, at least.
The only question is which QB will NOT be running sneaks for the Browns.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:53 PM
CBS' sports app is reporting that Josh McDaniel has had a change of heart, and has rejected the Colts job to stay with New England.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Charter Member
Josh McDaniels screws over the Colts and decided to remain with the Patriots. I assume he’s banking on taking over from Hoodie relatively soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2018, 07:57 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Josh McDaniels screws over the Colts and decided to remain with the Patriots. I assume heís banking on taking over from Hoodie relatively soon.

Iím thinking after next year. Belichick has nothing to prove. Nothing left to do. And will soon have to rebuild the team with a new quarterback.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:44 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Josh McDaniels screws over the Colts and decided to remain with the Patriots.
After hiring a bunch of assistants in Indy, too. Some speculation is that it's all a plot to get back at 'em for that Deflategate bullshit, even though Polian and Pagano are already gone, but that's just CT. The move screws all those assistants too, if the new HC doesn't want them all.

No idea what Indy does now, unless one of those assistants is close to ready for the head job. But I don't care, either.

Quote:
I assume heís banking on taking over from Hoodie relatively soon.
That's the obvious way to read McDaniels' statements about deciding the Indy job just wasn't the right thing to do. Kraft gave him a nice raise, too. The clincher will be if he's named assistant HC in addition to OC.

As for the new DC, either it's linebackers coach Brian Flores moving up, or Bill's old buddy Greg Schiano.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:29 AM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member
Quote:
Josh McDaniels screws over the Colts and decided to remain with the Patriots. I assume heís banking on taking over from Hoodie relatively soon.

They should be happy in the big picture. He was a terrible head coach in Denver. I wouldn't wish him on any team.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member
Some guys are crap in their first HC jobs, mainly from being too hard-assed, but they learn from their experience and do much better in their second jobs. Belichick himself is a good example.

Plus, no coach is going to look good if he doesn't have player talent to work with.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Some guys are crap in their first HC jobs, mainly from being too hard-assed, but they learn from their experience and do much better in their second jobs. Belichick himself is a good example.

Plus, no coach is going to look good if he doesn't have player talent to work with.
This is true, on the other hand Iíve heard many comment that McDaniels has ridden the coattails of the real talent in New England, being gifted SB rings as participation trophies, and that there isnít a lot to suggest that heís improved since he failed before.

The only thing that really bugs me is that there are assistant coaches already hired in Indianapolis with the idea of working under him. Those contracts are signed. So the Colts and whatever new coach they hire are stuck with them for at least a year under their new contracts. If their experiences, game philosophies, and personalities donít mesh well with whoever gets hired then thereís nothing you can do about it.

I see two lessons in this... Teams shouldnít count their chickens before theyíre hatched (thatís on the Colts) and you canít really trust Josh McDaniels. I hope he has a good future with the Patriots because I'm not sure who would be too eager to invite him into their organization after this. (Maybe the Browns.)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member
You could say he learned from the best. Belichick was head coach of the Jets twice, but only for a day or two each time.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Quote:
You could say he learned from the best. Belichick was head coach of the Jets twice, but only for a day or two each time.
Yeah, my thought was, Like Father, Like Son.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:50 PM
"The time is now," says new soon-to-be-ex-Lions coach.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Quote:
As for the new DC, either it's linebackers coach Brian Flores moving up, or Bill's old buddy Greg Schiano.
Not Schiano, he's staying at Ohio State after the McDaniels screwjob would have bumped him down a rung in the pecking order.

Quote:
You could also say that the Patriots are a scummy organization filled with shitty people.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:10 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
"The time is now," says new soon-to-be-ex-Lions coach.
Have you seen the pictures of Patricia at his press conference in Detroit? A nice new haircut, a neatly trimmed beard, a nice suit, you'd never know it was him except for the pencil behind his ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Action View Post
You could also say that the Patriots are a scummy organization filled with shitty people.
You could say that, or anything else you like that makes you feel better.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:13 PM
Quote:
You could say that, or anything else you like that makes you feel better.
It helps (and is even partially true!). It's been a rough 15 years for us Bucs fans.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:47 PM
Option 3: you could say that Josh McDaniels is a tool, has always been a tool, and remains a tool wherever he washes up. The Colts, ultimately, dodged a bullet, even if they end up with Jojo the Dancing Circus Rabbit as their new HC.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 PM
Yeah, could be worse; they could have signed Jon Gruden for 10 years & $100 million.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Action View Post
When you combine that with the fact that they are the most successful franchise in modern football if not all time, Iím not sure what that says about the NFL.