Old 12-29-2017, 03:19 PM
Mortal Engines trailer

Link: https://youtube.com/watch?v=fupYIggOq38

This is based on a YA novel of the same name by Philip Reeve. In my opinion, it's one of the very best YA science fiction novels out there. In fact, I would put it equal to Harry Potter in character development, plot, and humor, and above Harry Potter is moral complexity and intelligence. I was very excited to learn that it would become a major movie produced by Peter Jackson, and directed by Christopher Rivers, who apparently did storyboarding and special effects with Jackson in the Lord of the Rings movies.

So first thoughts: great trailer. The biggest danger with a steampunk-type movie is that they'll go overboard trying to make everything dark and gritty, but in this trailer everything has bright colors and occurs in broad daylight. The idea of a huge city rolling across the landscape is hard to pull off but I'd say London looks pretty good. Glad to see that they have St. Paul's Cathedral mounted at the top of London, which is a detail mentioned in the book.

One thing that will be interesting to see is how they portray Hester Shaw. The book says that she's hideously ugly because of a huge scar across her face. Of course, Hollywood rarely approves big-budget movies with an ugly woman in the leading role. Here they've solved the problem by having a scarf over her face, but one assumes they can't escape the dilemma for the entire movie that way.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:33 PM
I was whelmed by the trailer when I saw it. Not necessarily underwhelmed, but definitely not overwhelmed. London was smaller than I imagined it.

(Personally, I preferred the Fever Crumb books.)
Old 12-29-2017, 03:39 PM
Never heard of the novels but that looks quite interesting. Don't hold your breath for an ugly female main character, Hermione was supposed to be ugly too.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Don't hold your breath for an ugly female main character, Hermione was supposed to be ugly too.
I hadn't realized that about Hermione. But yes, you generally shouldn't expect to see ugly or even average looking people in leading roles no matter how the character was written. Staying in the area of kidlit, Bridge to Terabithia is one that immediately comes to mind. The moment that the two main characters meet in the book goes like this:

Quote:
He paused … to face the questioner, who was sitting on the fence nearest the old Perkins place, dangling bare brown legs. The person had jaggedy brown hair cut close to its face and wore one of those blue undershirtlike tops with faded jeans cut off above the knees. He couldn’t honestly tell whether it was a girl or a boy.
“Hi,” he or she said, jerking his or her head toward the Perkins place. “We just moved in.”
Jess stood where he was, staring.
The person slid off the fence and came toward him.
“I thought we might as well be friends,” it said.
“There’s no one else close by.” Girl, he decided.
Definitely a girl, but he couldn’t have said why he was suddenly sure. She was about his height-not quite though, he was pleased to realize as she came nearer.
“My name’s Leslie Burke.”
She even had one of those dumb names that could go either way, but he was sure now that he was right.
But this is who was cast as Leslie Burke in the movie, who would--it seems to me--not be subject to gender ambiguity.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:51 AM
I might not see the movie, but the trailer's made me interested in reading the book.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:30 PM
Charter Member
I was wondering what the heck this was when I saw the trailer (before Star Wars). I had figured that they were just trying to cash in on Mad Max-- I didn't realize that it was already a Young Adult book.

I presume that the book gives a good explanation for why an entire major city would be driving around in a wasteland and consuming all in its path?
Old 12-30-2017, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I was wondering what the heck this was when I saw the trailer (before Star Wars). I had figured that they were just trying to cash in on Mad Max-- I didn't realize that it was already a Young Adult book.
It is actually seven books--four of them in the main series that the movie is nominally based on and three prequels (the prequels are what I was referring to when I mention preferring the Fever Crumb books.)

Quote:
I presume that the book gives a good explanation for why an entire major city would be driving around in a wasteland and consuming all in its path?
SPOILER:
The books take place thousands of years after a civilization-ending war that took place at some time considerably more technologically advanced than ours. The new civilization that grew out of the ruins is a hodge-podge of technologies less advanced than those in the real hear-and-now, steam-punky tech, and technology far beyond what we have now that has been scrounged from the ruins of their past/our future collapsed civilization. The four novel main series takes place in a stage of that civilization where all population centers are mobile, and big cities chase down and consume smaller ones, using their raw materials for maintenance and expansion and integrating the populations. The three prequel novels cover how the first "traction cities" became a thing.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
Link: https://youtube.com/watch?v=fupYIggOq38

This is based on a YA novel of the same name by Philip Reeve. In my opinion, it's one of the very best YA science fiction novels out there. In fact, I would put it equal to Harry Potter in character development, plot, and humor, and above Harry Potter is moral complexity and intelligence. I was very excited to learn that it would become a major movie produced by Peter Jackson, and directed by Christopher Rivers, who apparently did storyboarding and special effects with Jackson in the Lord of the Rings movies.

So first thoughts: great trailer. The biggest danger with a steampunk-type movie is that they'll go overboard trying to make everything dark and gritty, but in this trailer everything has bright colors and occurs in broad daylight. The idea of a huge city rolling across the landscape is hard to pull off but I'd say London looks pretty good. Glad to see that they have St. Paul's Cathedral mounted at the top of London, which is a detail mentioned in the book.
Yeah, I thought that trailer was great. And "There'll Always be an England" is excellent - apparently it's the British parallel to "I'm proud to be an American" ?

Quote:
One thing that will be interesting to see is how they portray Hester Shaw. The book says that she's hideously ugly because of a huge scar across her face. Of course, Hollywood rarely approves big-budget movies with an ugly woman in the leading role. Here they've solved the problem by having a scarf over her face, but one assumes they can't escape the dilemma for the entire movie that way.
They'll probably go the Watchmen route - the Comedian's horribly disfiguring facial scar from the comics turned into a barely noticeable line on his cheek in the movie.