Old 12-30-2017, 05:25 AM
Charter Member
All Right, Buffet, What Are You Trying to Pull?

The Pirate of the Coral Reefers is famed for having released a song called Pencil Thin Mustache, in which he wishes he had a pencil-thin mustache of the type worn by famous old-timey mystery solver of the silver screen, Boston Blackie. I first became aware of this song some 40 years ago, and although I had never watched a Boston Blackie flick, I took Jimmy Buffet at his word, and it was a fixed fact in my mind that Boston Blackie wore a pencil-thin mustache when he was solving mysteries.

Now let us fast-forward to 2017. My late-shift job has me taking my lunch in the wee hours, when the lunchroom TV offers me a somewhat meager selection of amusements to occupy my time. I usually settle on Movies!TV to see half an hour’s worth of some (usually) pretty good films. This practice has resulted in my having watched chunks of most of the Boston Blackie catalog; and, much to my dismay, BOSTON BLACKIE’S UPER LIP IS ALWAYS FREE OF MUSTACHES, PENCIL-THIN OR OTHERWISE!

So does anybody have a clue what Jimmy Buffet was singing about?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 12-30-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:50 AM
Watch Blackie in his TV series: Boston Blackie TV Series
Old 12-30-2017, 10:34 AM
*Buffett
Old 12-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Watch Blackie in his TV series: Boston Blackie TV Series
The references to Sky King, Andy Devine and Ricky Ricardo should have clued you in that it was TV he was watching, not movies.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The references to Sky King, Andy Devine and Ricky Ricardo should have clued you in that it was TV he was watching, not movies.
Although, to be honest, Jimmy does throw in the line "But I can go to movies and see it all there, just the way that it used to be."

I blame Obama.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Charter Member
Oh.

Never mind.