Old 05-17-2018, 02:22 AM
Looking for the names of Hercules's daughters.

Hi,

Of all the names listed of Hercules's children from different wives and lovers, wikipedia provides a list but no genders. I would be interested in knowing which names are female. I look forward to your feedback

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracles
Old 05-17-2018, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmich View Post
Hi,

Of all the names listed of Hercules's children from different wives and lovers, wikipedia provides a list but no genders. I would be interested in knowing which names are female. I look forward to your feedback

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracles
I believe they are all sons.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:16 AM
The following females are allegedly daughters of Heracles:
Agelaus, Aphrodite III, Creontiades, Epione/Epeione, Eucleia, Macaria, Manto, Ophites
Old 05-17-2018, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
The following females are allegedly daughters of Heracles:
Agelaus, Aphrodite III, Creontiades, Epione/Epeione, Eucleia, Macaria, Manto, Ophites
Agelaus and Ophites are definitely male.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:31 AM
Oops! Mea culpa.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmich View Post
Agelaus and Ophites are definitely male.
Thanks anyway Septimus.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Without being a scholar of classics by any stretch, I believe ancient Greek female names usually ended in 'o', 'e', and 'a', while male names usually ended in 's', 'r', 'n'.
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
I don't know the statistics among the various declensions, but plenty of women's names end in -os, -is, etc. (e.g., Artemis).