Old 05-17-2018, 08:16 AM
What is the benefit to being honest about my country of residence? (New data laws)

For years, I've gotten Gallup polling and other information delivered to my email. A couple of weeks ago, and again today, I've gotten this message:
Quote:
Hello,

You've checked the box to get our best insights and advice sent straight to your inbox.

First, we need you to update one piece of information so we can send the communication you requested.

Please let us know the country in which you reside:
Select Your Country

Why are we asking for this information? On May 25, 2018, a new European Union (EU) data protection law, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), takes effect. The GDPR gives individuals in the EU more control over how their data is used and places specific requirements on businesses like Gallup to comply.

To meet the terms of the new regulation, we need your updated country of residence by May 25, 2018, even if you're not in the EU.

We value your interest in our analytics and advice, and we hope to stay in touch.
I read this and think that if I claim to be in France, my data is more protected than if I admit to being in Maryland. What benefit is there to being honest?
Old 05-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky View Post
For years, I've gotten Gallup polling and other information delivered to my email. A couple of weeks ago, and again today, I've gotten this message:

I read this and think that if I claim to be in France, my data is more protected than if I admit to being in Maryland. What benefit is there to being honest?
I guess it depends on whether they ever use location to tailor the information they send you?

How do you feel about emails in French?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member
Or Arabic, Basque etc.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:31 PM
The protection concerned is the whole business of passing your Personal data to other related (but possibly several times removed) companies so that they can send you stuff. The EU-wide law, which replaces the UK’s 1984 Data Protection Act, will involve new powers that require firms to get clear consent from users before taking their data and detail the exact purpose it will be used for.

Personal data is any information that could be used to identify an individual online, including names, bank details, posts on Facebook or other social networking sites, images and medical information.

Under the new regulations, users will have the right to know what exact details a company holds about them – as well as requesting the information is deleted if desired. The law will involve new powers that require firms to get clear consent from users before taking their data and detail the exact purpose it will be used for and BIG fines for any business that fails to comply.

https://which.co.uk/consumer-rig...egulation-gdpr

Last edited by bob++; 05-17-2018 at 05:32 PM.