#1
Old 05-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7,667
Hank Johnson holds Mo Brooks's beer

You may remember when Hank Johnson once speculated that Guam may become overpopulated and "tip over" (later claiming it to be a joke.) Not to be out-stupided, Mo Brooks now speculates that recent sea level rises are possibly caused by rocks falling into the ocean.
#2
Old 05-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 34,817
At least he figured out that rocks sink. It's a start.
#3
Old 05-17-2018, 04:59 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Scottsdale, more-or-less
Posts: 15,621
Who the hell is Mo Brooks?

Any relation to Mel?
#4
Old 05-17-2018, 09:48 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Displaced
Posts: 15,179
Congressman, northern tier of Alabama, beowulff.

At least Johnson (D-GA-4) was having a Moment of Silly and just letting the unfiltered, unprocessed braincramps blurt out. Brooks (R-AL-5) is reaching for any explanation other than climate change, because of course it can't be that, and pulling one out of his Fourth Point of Contact.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 05-17-2018 at 09:50 PM.
#5
Old 05-17-2018, 09:55 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Close to the Saturn V
Posts: 8,694
Yeah, my Congressman.

Sorry about that.

Thing is, he represents Huntsville, Al, which has Marshall Space Flight Center and the US Army Aviation Command, along with lots of technical stuff, so we have a moron representing smart people...or maybe not-so-smart people.
__________________
Waking a person unnecessarily should not be considered a capital crime. For a first offense, that is.
**"The Notebooks of Lazarus Long"
#6
Old 05-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
You may remember when Hank Johnson once speculated that Guam may become overpopulated and "tip over" (later claiming it to be a joke.) Not to be out-stupided, Mo Brooks now speculates that recent sea level rises are possibly caused by rocks falling into the ocean.
Well he's not wrong that adding material to the ocean causes it to rise, it's just not significant. I'd say "Guam could tip over" is a magnitude stupider. Sure, on geological time scales overpopulation could push the land down, but that's not the same as "tipping over".
Quote:
Duffy, who now leads the climate-focused Woods Hole Research Center in Massachusetts, told the lawmaker that, on the human time scale, falling rocks have minuscule effects.
#7
Old 05-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Jawja
Posts: 9,626
It's my fault. The last time I was at the beach I skipped stones in the ocean. A lot of them. Probably 15 or 20. I'm sorry.
#8
Old 05-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,098
It is a perfect plan for a congressman!
Since sea level rise is caused by rocks in the ocean this gives congress a perfect reason to vote more money for dredging. All the coastal areas want better beaches (in MS they are called the redneck riviera) and riverfront cities want their rivers deepened. All that and it solves global warming. Win win!
#9
Old 05-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 34,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbroome View Post
It is a perfect plan for a congressman!
Since sea level rise is caused by rocks in the ocean this gives congress a perfect reason to vote more money for dredging. All the coastal areas want better beaches (in MS they are called the redneck riviera) and riverfront cities want their rivers deepened. All that and it solves global warming. Win win!
And then you ship the rocks overseas and dump them there. Who cares if someone else's ocean rises?
#10
Old 05-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,228
Brooks actually thought about that hypothesis. Johnson probably just spoke from ignorance. Perhaps he didn't know Guam was a real island, maybe he thought it was an artificial landmass floating in the ocean or something. There are so many things I just didn't know once and so many things I still don't know that I'm not going to judge a politician unless they do what Brooks did, spout ignorance to make a political point.
#11
Old 05-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Displaced
Posts: 15,179
That whole "as long as I can point out to any conceivable counter-explanation however harebrained, I don't have to accept yours" fallacy, does it have a specific name or is it just a subset of false equivalence? Mind you, I do not for a moment doubt Brooks is consciously arguing in bad faith and that he damn well knows better, but wants to plant the fallacy in the minds of the public.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 05-20-2018 at 06:14 PM.
#12
Old 05-20-2018, 08:04 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Brooks actually thought about that hypothesis. Johnson probably just spoke from ignorance. Perhaps he didn't know Guam was a real island, maybe he thought it was an artificial landmass floating in the ocean or something. There are so many things I just didn't know once and so many things I still don't know that I'm not going to judge a politician unless they do what Brooks did, spout ignorance to make a political point.
So it's totally reasonable to you that a member of the House's Science, Space and Technology Committee not research their questions at all. They are to treat the experts called in front of them as their initial Google search.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: connecticut pronunciation will wills joker inspiration anal child batteries only monte markham dope tinting 210 pound man define weenis funny emotion nigger bomb neutrogena t-gel lice treatment my cat's breath smells like cat food what happens when you drink drano keep cat off leather furniture girls playing with their hair pin a rose on your nose is radon a scam snow crabs vs king crab mount and blade warband best character build what does 2 year suspended sentence mean oldest mountains in north america