Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 15,213
Why don't Mexican restaurants serve Fideo?

I'm making Fideo con pollo (with chicken) tonight.

Just got to thinking, this is a really good dish that I know most Americans would love.

So why is it never on the menu at Mexican restaurants?


ETA: Excuse my poorly worded thread title.

Last edited by Grrr!; 05-17-2018 at 06:09 PM.
#2
Old 05-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 49,607
Because Americans are used to getting pasta at an Italian place or making mac & cheese. A pasta and chicken dish at Jose's would just weird them out.

Now, it might show up on the menu at a more upscale place run with an authentic kitchen, but I've never encountered it in the wild.
#3
Old 05-17-2018, 07:31 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 3,164
because its a "home " dish .... when you go to a ethnic restaurant they think you don't want what they eat every Tuesday .. Only exception to this is Italian resturants ...where the only difference between home cooking and restaurant cooking is quality of ingredients

A chienese schoolmate used to say that Chinese resturants served "holiday" food .... and had nothing to do with what they ate everyday

He also mentioned most westerners would be grossed out with what they did eat .......
#4
Old 05-17-2018, 07:46 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 34,817
Why don't Mexican restaurants serve Fideo?

Because some people would initially read it as "Fido" like I did.

Last edited by running coach; 05-17-2018 at 07:47 PM.
#5
Old 05-17-2018, 08:26 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 44,454
duplicate of below.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-17-2018 at 08:28 PM.
#6
Old 05-17-2018, 08:28 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 44,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I'm making Fideo con pollo (with chicken) tonight.

Just got to thinking, this is a really good dish that I know most Americans would love.

So why is it never on the menu at Mexican restaurants?
You can find it at some restaurants here in Chicago. One place not far from my house serves it along with free chips and salsa as a sort of amuse bouche, or whatever you'd want to call it. But "amuse bouche" is too fancy a term for the down-home, cheap ma and pop restaurant we're talking about.
#7
Old 05-17-2018, 08:31 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 44,454
Actually, I'm thinking of the soup; I realize you may be talking about just the noodles with chicken, as a sort of pasta dish? That I'm not entirely sure I've seen.
#8
Old 05-17-2018, 08:37 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 44,454
Ok, it does seem to exist at least here (as Plato De Fideo Con Pollo Y Frijoles De La Olla.). But what I usually have seen is sopa de fideo con pollo, or something similarly named.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-17-2018 at 08:38 PM.
#9
Old 05-17-2018, 09:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the hypersphere
Posts: 250
Likely sopa seca (de fideo)
__________________
Children need encouragement. If a kid gets an answer right, tell him it was a lucky guess. That way he develops a good, lucky feeling.
#10
Old 05-17-2018, 10:46 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 77,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
because its a "home " dish .... when you go to a ethnic restaurant they think you don't want what they eat every Tuesday .. Only exception to this is Italian resturants ...where the only difference between home cooking and restaurant cooking is quality of ingredients

A chienese schoolmate used to say that Chinese resturants served "holiday" food .... and had nothing to do with what they ate everyday

He also mentioned most westerners would be grossed out with what they did eat .......
People need to stop comparing Chinese-American, Italian-American, and Mexican-American cuisine to Chinese, Italian, and Mexican cuisine. That will make it possible for them to judge these cuisines on their own merits as legitimate fusion creations rather than just dismissing them as poor imitations of something they're not.

People should also avoid overusing ellipses.
#11
Old 05-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,651
Restaurant cuisine in general is a terrible representation of any culture's *actual* cuisine.

What you get in an Indian restaurant is going to be very different from what you might eat at the table in someone's home.
#12
Old 05-21-2018, 06:38 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 10,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
People need to stop comparing Chinese-American, Italian-American, and Mexican-American cuisine to Chinese, Italian, and Mexican cuisine. That will make it possible for them to judge these cuisines on their own merits as legitimate fusion creations rather than just dismissing them as poor imitations of something they're not.
But this makes it hard to find an authentic restaurant when you want an authentic restaurant. If there were truth in labelling laws or something, it would make it easier.

Yelp doesn’t help. One of the Mexican-American restaurants in town sucks for authentic Mexican food, but then there’s a review who says she’s from California, and by far this restaurant has the absolutely most authentic Mexican food she’s ever had in Michigan. Missy, you’re from California talking about authentic Mexican food? Don’t call it authentic Mexican when it’s only Mexican-American.
#13
Old 05-21-2018, 04:55 PM
Charter Member
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 77,473
Why would someone from a part of Mexico not know authentic Mexican food? Just because it's not authentic to the region of Mexico you're thinking of doesn't mean it's not authentic to some other region.
#14
Old 05-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
.......where the only difference between home cooking and restaurant cooking is quality of ingredients
..........
Does this mean it's higher quality at home of the restaurant?
#15
Old 05-21-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 15,777
Serving chicken with a Beethoven opera? Preposterous!
__________________
Uke
#16
Old 05-21-2018, 09:25 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 13,552
In Laredo TX, 30 years ago, I ate a lot of Fideo because it was cheap and filling. Haven't had it since I left Laredo. If I ever ran into it on a menu, I would certainly order it out of nostalgia, if nothing else.
#17
Old 05-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 17,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Ok, it does seem to exist at least here (as Plato De Fideo Con Pollo Y Frijoles De La Olla.). But what I usually have seen is sopa de fideo con pollo, or something similarly named.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Likely sopa seca (de fideo)
Cesar's does the soup. Its okay, but pretty damn salty.

Fideo seems like an item that could be a winner at a burrito joint. Cheap and quick comfort food. But I suppose anything the doesn't come off the griddle might be a hassle.
#18
Old 05-22-2018, 01:49 AM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 38,584
...



*checks the links to verify usage adds 'fideo' to her list of 'words from Spanish that work different in English*

Man, in Spain if you only got one fideo you'd be complaining in three voices despite having only one throat.
#19
Old 05-22-2018, 04:05 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,243
The word fideo is also (as far as I can tell, speaking no Spanish) used differently in Mexico than in Spain.
#20
Old 05-22-2018, 05:16 AM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 38,584
Not from what I see in Google searches. Note that "works different in English" is not a criticism, just an observation.

Last edited by Nava; 05-22-2018 at 05:18 AM.
#21
Old 05-22-2018, 06:12 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 15,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Actually, I'm thinking of the soup; I realize you may be talking about just the noodles with chicken, as a sort of pasta dish? That I'm not entirely sure I've seen.

I meant the soup. Should have stated that in the OP.
#22
Old 05-23-2018, 06:17 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 10,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Why would someone from a part of Mexico not know authentic Mexican food? Just because it's not authentic to the region of Mexico you're thinking of doesn't mean it's not authentic to some other region.
California isn't a part of Mexico, though, at least not anymore or not yet.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: champagne and lemonade houses without basements arvn rifles block ir camera morgue hospital rice flour roux scooter gear oil what is passata rooten com basic movie explained chiltons or haynes manual it was much better than cats communism was just a red herring how many weight watchers points in a potato why are words italicized in the bible satellite black box descrambler why am i not ticklish anymore proform 955r exercise bike reviews how do fish get in lakes how much does the average house weigh nice to meet you too in french cooking chicken on cuisinart griddler