Old 05-21-2018, 08:42 AM
Cheap Electrical Receptacles have hymens now? Awesome

....and we won't stop until Cheap Electrical Plugs have foreskins!
Old 05-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Tamper resistant receptacles are a good choice and should be on the market. I don't think it's necessary to make them mandatory by code.

Homes were wired in the 1930's,40's. Baby boomers, their children, and their grandchildren have managed to live in those homes safely.

Sorry but these kind of remarks drive me insane.

Naturally "Baby boomers, their children, and their grandchildren have managed to live in those homes safely". By definition the survivors survived. Just like the people who say I never wore a helmet when I rode my bike and I lived. Yes, you did. But many didn't because they died due to injury. The dead tend not to tell us of their experiences. Just because you lived through something doesn't mean it was safe.

Kids do get electrocuted. Now maybe less will. And you say you don't have kids. One day your house will go up for sale. Guess what will get dinged on the inspection?

Sorry for the rant but I find so many people do not want to acknowledge or accept the word or opinions of experts in a field (maybe the exception being doctors) nor follow their recommendations; as if their own narrower range of experiences makes them qualified to comment on matters outside they know little or nothing about.

Rant over.
-IQ
Old 05-22-2018, 10:05 AM
What drives me insane are safety features that make a thing almost impossible to use. Those child-safe outlets don't work correctly. The ones we had in our last house drove me insane--the amount of force required to insert an outlet frequently bent the tongs on the plugs. They're a bad product.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:46 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
What drives me insane are safety features that make a thing almost impossible to use. Those child-safe outlets don't work correctly. The ones we had in our last house drove me insane--the amount of force required to insert an outlet frequently bent the tongs on the plugs. They're a bad product.
It's entirely possible that it's just the brand (or lot) that you have. I've installed a dozen or so of them, upgrading to those any time I do electrical work. They're certainly harder to use, but I've never had one require near enough force to bend the prongs.

Something to keep in mind is that a lot of them require both prongs to be pushed in at the same time. That means you need to make sure you're pushing the plug perpendicular to the outlet or if you'd like, angling it just a little bit, so the neutral goes in first.
They're designed so that you can't put something in the hot side by it self.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Millions of people with arthritis are going to find tamper proof receptacles challenging.

I'm glad they aren't in my mom's home. Her hands have gotten so much worse in only a few years. She can still plug in bricks. I saw her plug in her blood pressure machine a few days ago. I plugged in her toaster. I knew it had a small plug and would be challenging for her to grab.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-22-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Millions of people with arthritis are going to find tamper proof receptacles challenging.

I'm glad they aren't in my mom's home. Her hands have gotten so much worse in only a few years. She can still plug in bricks. I saw her plug in her blood pressure machine a few days ago. I plugged in her toaster. I knew it had a small plug and would be challenging for her to grab.
Outlets that get used often will probably get a little easier to use and spring stretches and the parts get a bit work out. Also, as we move forward, people won't know any different. Having TR outlets in most areas of the house will be the norm. And, with that, there will absolutely be improvements along the way. Be it to the outlets themselves and how they work and/or to the NEC. It'll just take a bit of getting used to, but it's probably worth it considering the amount of kids that get shocked (2400/yr shocked severely enough that it gets reported plus around a dozen deaths per year).

But, in the mean time, this has been in the NEC for quite a while now so it's probably not going away any time soon.