Old 05-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Cheap Electrical Receptacles have hymens now? Awesome

Replaced several worn out electrical receptacles for a friend. He had bought a bag of the cheap 50 cent ones from HD. I normally would buy the boxed levitons fot $2.

Plugged in his clock radio with some difficultly. Had to pop the cherry first. Wanted a cigarette afterwards.

No joke. There's a micro thin film of plastic over the opening. The plug's hard prong has to punch through it the first time the Receptacle is used.

Next time you're in HD, look at the bargin bin cheap Receptacles. Every one has left over plastic covering the slots. I assume Lowes bargin priced are similar.

It's just these cheap ones. The boxed levitons have clear slots. Superior manufacturing process.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-17-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:38 PM
It has nothing to do with inferior manufacturing processes. The outlets you are referring to are tamper-resistant outlets. The plastic pieces you are referring to are shutters to prevent children from inserting fingers or other objects. The shutters open when a plug is inserted and close when the plug is removed. Both tamper-resistant and non-tamper resistant are available, and code requires the tamper-resistant version to be used in new construction.

Last edited by Cleophus; 05-17-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:48 PM
It felt like the prong broke through the plastic.

I unplugged it several times. Then the clock radio plugged in easily. I only plugged in a couple appliances. The other receptacles will have to be punched through whenever needed.

They probably are tamper resistant. Yet more Nanny State nonsense.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-17-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
It felt like the prong broke through the plastic.

I unplugged it several times. Then the clock radio plugged in easily. I only plugged in a couple appliances. The other receptacles will have to be punched through whenever needed.

There's generally a reason when those sorts of things get mandated. Like kids getting electrocuted.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:04 PM
Seems like a good place to post this.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:20 PM
Quote:
TR receptacles have been proven to significantly reduce serious injuries to toddlers and adults. They also prevent accidents caused by objects coming into contact with old or damaged receptacles, which protects everybody. They cost one quarter more than non-TR receptacles. (Sorry, in aceplace-ease, that's "two bits.") And they're not even required for every outlet (just those near the floor.)

There's nanny-statism, and there's practical, evidence-based approaches to improving building safety. I'll let you struggle with determining which things are which.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Seems like a good place to post this.
Or this.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Replaced several worn out electrical receptacles for a friend.
Friend, eh?

Quote:
Next time you're in HD, look at the bargin bin cheap Receptacles. Every one has left over plastic covering the slots. I assume Lowes bargin priced are similar.
Oh, I'll look at them alright...I'll have to wear my stoutest pair of canvas overalls to ensure that my arousal over the "hymens" doesn't poke an innocent bystander's eyes out.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:37 AM
Charter Member
I understand the rationale behind TR receptacles, but I have no children and I hate the TR receptacles that infest my house. The first couple of uses are difficult, usually requiring more fiddling and futzing than one would think reasonable to "pop the cherry" and get a usable receptacle.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:44 AM
You can replace them if you want. Nobody's gonna snitch.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:04 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
You can replace them if you want. Nobody's gonna snitch.
Better check the building codes first.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:31 AM
Initial use of the outlets can be tricky, and it really is best if you can set aside the natural desire to just force the plug into a brand new outlet as this can damage both outlet and plug. I good technique is to slowly wiggle the plug up and down in the slots as you gradually work the plug in. The application of a little dielectric grease will facilitate the process with the added bonus of more harmonious electrical flow and less resistance at the union. A little wine and flowers beforehand doesn't hurt either.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleophus View Post
It has nothing to do with inferior manufacturing processes. The outlets you are referring to are tamper-resistant outlets. The plastic pieces you are referring to are shutters to prevent children from inserting fingers or other objects. The shutters open when a plug is inserted and close when the plug is removed. Both tamper-resistant and non-tamper resistant are available, and code requires the tamper-resistant version to be used in new construction.
I don't know about the rest of the country, but the building code in CA requires those outlets.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Initial use of the outlets can be tricky, and it really is best if you can set aside the natural desire to just force the plug into a brand new outlet as this can damage both outlet and plug. I good technique is to slowly wiggle the plug up and down in the slots as you gradually work the plug in. The application of a little dielectric grease will facilitate the process with the added bonus of more harmonious electrical flow and less resistance at the union. A little wine and flowers beforehand doesn't hurt either.
I don't know what surprises me most about this thread - that it became arousing, or that the OP knew what a hymen was.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Quote:
He had bought a bag of the cheap 50 cent ones from HD. I normally would buy the boxed levitons for $2.
When I am buying receptacles, I make it a point to never buy the cheap ones. A couple reasons:

1) The cheap ones usually require the copper wire to be wrapped under the screw head. I much prefer the (more expensive) receptacles where you push the straight copper wire into a hole and then tighten the screw.

2) The cheap ones seem to have a lower spring force compared to the more expensive ones.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:46 AM
I hate those things. We just had our kitchen redone and the contractor installed them even though they are way up high behind a counter.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I hate those things. We just had our kitchen redone and the contractor installed them even though they are way up high behind a counter.
You might check the building code in your area. As I noted earlier, they are required in CA. It may be that the contractor wanted to make sure you'd pass the Final Inspection, or it may be that those are the only type that are sold these days. The building code (at lest in CA) has gotten very stringent in the last few years. There are all sort of safety, water conservation and energy conservation requirements that contractors have to comply with.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:14 AM
So if you have to punch through, doesn't that thin layer of plastic then potentially linger inside the socket itself and hamper the electricity conduction?
Old 05-18-2018, 10:19 AM
Quote:

The whole receptacle requirement is nanny state, just having 2 bare wires sticking out of the wall work perfectly fine, no need for the box either.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Indeed. Why, when I was a boy we only had the two wires sticking out of the wall, no insulation on them, and someone had to hold them in place on the plug.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
So if you have to punch through, doesn't that thin layer of plastic then potentially linger inside the socket itself and hamper the electricity conduction?
If these are the kind I'm thinking of, you don't "break" anything. You push, the shutters move out of the way when there's pressure on both sides, and the plug slides in. See here for a video.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:07 AM
Quote:
TR receptacles have been proven to significantly reduce serious injuries to toddlers and adults. They also prevent accidents caused by objects coming into contact with old or damaged receptacles, which protects everybody. They cost one quarter more than non-TR receptacles. (Sorry, in aceplace-ease, that's "two bits.") And they're not even required for every outlet (just those near the floor.)

There's nanny-statism, and there's practical, evidence-based approaches to improving building safety. I'll let you struggle with determining which things are which.
No struggle at all, nanny-stateism through and through.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Tamper resistant receptacles are a good choice and should be on the market. I don't think it's necessary to make them mandatory by code.

Homes were wired in the 1930's,40's. Baby boomers, their children, and their grandchildren have managrd to live in those homes safely.

Kids sticking bobby pins in outlets isn't all that common. I know it happens and I'm glad there's after market products available that parents can purchase inexpensively.

I bought something like this 20 years ago when my kids were born. Took less than 30 mins to child proof the empty receptacles in the entire house.
https://amazon.com/Safety-1st-De...?tag=bbprfg-20

Many receptacles are behind furniture and not accessible to children. Yet, code would require their use any way. It's not fun fumbling behind a couch to plug in a lamp. Tamper resistant just makes it even harder.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-18-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Btw, jokes about electrical plugs and receptacles have been around long before I was born.

I like this one. Safe for work
https://goo.gl/images/6bJDvf

Pretty cute
https://cartoonstock.com/cartoon...atref=dren1012

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-18-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Btw, jokes about electrical plugs and receptacles have been around long before I was born.
My personal favorite.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Homes were wired in the 1930's,40's. Baby boomers, their children, and their grandchildren have managrd to live in those homes safely.
Except for the ones that died, sure.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Except for the ones that died, sure.
You misspelled "the ones who had sense enough to not fiddle with electrical outlets." Darwin, luck, etc.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member
Because 2 year olds are such models of constraint and safety.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Which is why I specifically pointed out inexpensive child safety caps for receptacles and used them in my own home.

No one here is suggesting safety in the home isn't important.

We don't need the Nanny State to tell us that.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-18-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
You misspelled "the ones who had sense enough to not fiddle with electrical outlets." Darwin, luck, etc.
Call it luck. I'm no fucking idiot, but as a kid, I stuck shit in the electrical outlet and got zapped a few times. I guess I eventually figured out not to do that, but how in the shit was I supposed to know the first time or two that sticking conductive materials into an electrical receptacle is a bad idea? Eventually, I figured it out through trial and error I guess, but what is this "sense" when you're four or five years old and have no idea how the world works?

My brother wasn't quite as lucky, although he survived, when he stuck something into an outlet and ended up with a trip to the ER and a giant electrical burn down his hand, maybe six inches long or so. Luckily, I was in the room with him and managed to somehow drag him from outlet without getting zapped myself (or perhaps he had already broken the connection), but it wasn't pretty. He was probably about 3 at the time, and I would have been 9 or 10.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-18-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Because 2 year olds are such models of constraint and safety.
Well not anymore. The dim ones have reproduced!
Old 05-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Which is why I specifically pointed out inexpensive child safety caps for receptacles and used them in my own home.

If you are a professional in electrics, you should well know that safety standards are enforced for good reasons (which can be matters of life or death) and that you can get in hot water if you don't apply them.

If you're not, you had no business installing those receptacles in the first place.

(at least by the laws in my neck of the woods)
Old 05-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member
Quote:

Apparently we do. Any other bits of building codes you'd like to do away with?
Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 PM
What did the electrician say when his daughter came home at 2:00 am?

"Wire you insulate?"
Old 05-18-2018, 02:35 PM
Quote:
You mean the caps that, in a study conducted by the NFPA, 100% of toddlers were able to remove in 10 seconds?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Quote:
You mean the caps that, in a study conducted by the NFPA, 100% of toddlers were able to remove in 10 seconds?
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I do have to point out it says "100% of all 2-4 year olds were able to remove one type of plastic outlet cap within 10 seconds" (Bolding mine).

I know that toddlers can't get mine off easily, because they end up being so stinking tight that it takes me a long time to get them off (mostly because I end up having to get a flat head screwdriver!).
Old 05-18-2018, 05:24 PM
I recently bought an outlet at Home Depot. It had a piece of actual clear plastic over the two plug openings. Are you sure there isn't a piece of plastic with holes in it there now?
Old 05-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
I recently bought an outlet at Home Depot. It had a piece of actual clear plastic over the two plug openings. Are you sure there isn't a piece of plastic with holes in it there now?
Just like a hymen, you mean?
Old Yesterday, 02:52 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Just like a hymen, you mean?
They're making hymens out of plastic these days?
Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM
Charter Member
And the penny drops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleophus View Post
So THAT’S why when we shifted sixty feet eastward to a remodeled unit in December of 2016 several wall outlets just Would. Not. Accept. the devices I tried to plug in. Cheap tamper-resistant outlets.

Got the handyman to fix them.
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
They're making hymens out of plastic these days?
Won't someone think of the ocean?!
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
[...]

[...]

Well, now, wait a minute. Seat belts and air bags, polio vaccine, helmets for bicyclists, 911, grounding pins, EMTs, disposable medical supplies, safety goggles, unleaded gasoline, unleaded paint, and a whole bunch of other new things have come along since we boomers were little. These things make us safer. Those of us who didn't happen to perish because of the problems these fixed were still living less safely, just being fortunate while doing so. I think it's great if we keep eliminating the more dangerous elements of typical life.
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Great children books that have never been written: Why Can't Mr. Knife and Mr. Electrical Outlet Be Friends?

Last edited by John Mace; Yesterday at 11:51 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
You get what you pay for. A 50 cent receptacle isn't as well made as a $2 item.

HD and Lowes are absolutely making a killing on electrical parts.

A single gang, old work box is over $3 each. I know because I recently bought several for a project.

I'd estimate, Electricians buy a bulk pack of 50 for probably $50. (not from big box stores!)

Wire is even worse. HD stuck me $23 for a 25ft roll of 12/2 with ground. I should have at least bought a hundred ft at a better price.

I don't even want to know what electricians pay for 500ft rolls. I'd guess less than 50 cents a foot.
Copper is ridiculously high these days, but there's still a good discount at wholesale, bulk pricing.

Last edited by aceplace57; Yesterday at 02:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
Quote:

I like this one. Safe for work
https://goo.gl/images/6bJDvf

Pretty cute
https://cartoonstock.com/cartoon...atref=dren1012
Safe for work you say? My goodness, their male and female parts are clearly visible!
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Quote:

A single gang, old work box is over $3 each. I know because I recently bought several for a project.

I'd estimate, Electricians buy a bulk pack of 50 for probably $50. (not from big box stores!)

Wire is even worse. HD stuck me $23 for a 25ft roll of 12/2 with ground. I should have at least bought a hundred ft at a better price.

I don't even want to know what electricians pay for 500ft rolls. I'd guess less than 50 cents a foot.
Copper is ridiculously high these days, but there's still a good discount at wholesale, bulk pricing.
Now you confused me. The bulk pack of 50 cent receptacles your buddy bought in bulk are not as good as the $2 individual one yet the electrician's 50 cents a foot wire is better than the $1 / foot stuff you can get? BTW Amazon for wire
Old Today, 01:11 AM
Quote:
This is not always true. As a handyman I shop at HD at least 4x a week. Through the years I've noticed some items (electrical ones in particular) are packaged differently but are exactly the same part - right down to manufacturers numbers and markings - that sell for dollars more.
Quote:

Then why in the hell do you still shop there?
Old Today, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I remember when I discovered honey.

Shortly after, I discovered how to climb kitchen furniture. It's all Mom's fault, for putting the pot of golden sweetness on top of the high cupboards.
Old Today, 06:40 AM
Charter Member
I have never heard the term 'receptacle' before. I thought everyone called them sockets, plugs, or outlets.