Old 07-02-2018, 02:36 PM
China claims to have developed a ray gun.

China claims to have developed a laser rifle that can burn a hole in a target a kilometer away with a silent, invisible laser ray.
https://gizmodo.com/china-claims-to-...ct-1827284198?
Old 07-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
Is it 1920 already?
Old 07-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Some jokes just write themselves.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 PM
I read about this. Is this something you can see with special glasses?
Old 07-02-2018, 04:27 PM
I got some REAL X-ray specs THAT WORK! Just send me a SASE and $10...Also, sea monkeys.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Some jokes just write themselves.

Laugh if you want, but think about all of those poor disappointed lay gun pre-orderers.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:37 AM
I don't have any deeper information about this, but this article pretty much sums up what went through my head as I read that piece:

https://c4isrnet.com/electronic-...mmick-at-best/

Quote:

China’s prototype laser rifle is a dangerous gimmick at best

By: Kelsey Atherton

So what are we, the discerning public raised on a diet of rayguns, to make of the “ZKZM-500 laser assault rifle,” a prototype of which was recently field tested at the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Shaanxi?

“Well, let’s start with this: it is possible to pay me enough to hold it, but I’d probably invalidate my life insurance policy by doing so,” says Phil Broughton, Certified Laser Safety Officer.

“To make this work, you need a serious battery pack, some even more serious capacitors, optics that can take all this without turning back into sand at these energy densities, and rugged enough that you can treat this like military hardware,” says Broughton. “This is a “best case scenario operation only” weapon if there ever was one.”

Laser weapons designed for use against humans are prohibited by international law, though the laws as written are less firm on incidental use in combat of lasers designed for other purposes. There’s a long history of China and other nations specifically designing lasers on the edge of these rules. The ZKZM-500 is officially classified as a being “non-lethal”, though that designation doesn’t take into account what would happen if a person actually tried firing on and it didn’t work.

“If the battery pack, caps, or the optical train catastrophically fails during a shot,” says Broughton, “you have a gravely injured soldier who is holding a small wrecked Tesla.”

In Arthur C. Clarke's 1950s science fiction novel Sands of Mars, written in those pre-laser days, someone has a large photoflash unit that puts out an impressive amount of energy, and someone remarks that he wouldn't want to be around if anything should happen to the battery or the capacitor, which have enough stored energy to make a good-sized bomb. That goes double for this gun.

Lasers are intrinsically inefficient devices, meaning that they have to lose a portion of their energy -- inevitably to heat -- in order to achieve the population inversion necessary to make them work*. This means that

a.) you have to have a lot of energy to start with
b.) Your raygun is going to get awfully hot after a couple of shots.

Add to this the fact that the human body contains a LOT of water that has to be boiled off in order to carbonize it. Even locally. That means you really do need a lot of oomph to do damage. It's possible (I've seen a CO2 laser cut through meat, or an argon fluoride laser punch cookie-cutter holes in things), but it takes a lot of doing.

**Although a lot of incredibly high efficiency lasers have been developed, they generally have to be driven by another, much lower efficiency laser, so it doesn't help. You can build a gas laser in which mixing gases results in a combination already in an excited state, with a built-in population inversion, but that requires huge chambers for holding and mixing the gas. Not a hand weapon.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 07-03-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:35 AM
Probably an off shoot of their ASAT research.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I don't have any deeper information about this, but this article pretty much sums up what went through my head as I read that piece:

https://c4isrnet.com/electronic-...mmick-at-best/

In Arthur C. Clarke's 1950s science fiction novel Sands of Mars, written in those pre-laser days, someone has a large photoflash unit that puts out an impressive amount of energy, and someone remarks that he wouldn't want to be around if anything should happen to the battery or the capacitor, which have enough stored energy to make a good-sized bomb. That goes double for this gun.

Lasers are intrinsically inefficient devices, meaning that they have to lose a portion of their energy -- inevitably to heat -- in order to achieve the population inversion necessary to make them work*. This means that

a.) you have to have a lot of energy to start with
b.) Your raygun is going to get awfully hot after a couple of shots.

Add to this the fact that the human body contains a LOT of water that has to be boiled off in order to carbonize it. Even locally. That means you really do need a lot of oomph to do damage. It's possible (I've seen a CO2 laser cut through meat, or an argon fluoride laser punch cookie-cutter holes in things), but it takes a lot of doing.

**Although a lot of incredibly high efficiency lasers have been developed, they generally have to be driven by another, much lower efficiency laser, so it doesn't help. You can build a gas laser in which mixing gases results in a combination already in an excited state, with a built-in population inversion, but that requires huge chambers for holding and mixing the gas. Not a hand weapon.
So each soldier is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on their back.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
So each soldier is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on their back.
So if you need to laser someone, who you gonna call?
Old 07-03-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Laugh if you want, but think about all of those poor disappointed lay gun pre-orderers.
A lay gun...now that's a nerd's dream. Point it, pull the trigger, you get laid.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:16 AM
I think the biggest lie is that China developed it.
They probably stole it.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Will it be available with a 40 watt range?
Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Will it be available with a 40 watt range?
Hey, just what you see, pal.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:52 AM
Charter Member
Fiddlesticks. It doesn't even slow them up.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:55 AM
We had it first, back in 1982.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Fiddlesticks. It doesn't even slow them up.
While being fired out a high rise office window toward the street below.
Next person gets to identify the artist.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:04 AM
China’s prototype laser rifle is a dangerous gimmick at best

That's what people said about my potato gun.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
While being fired out a high rise office window toward the street below.
Next person gets to identify the artist.
Charles Addams, of course.

I love that cartoon.

I also love the fact that the Death Ray is plugged into the ordinary wall plug. Power Efficient!
Old 07-03-2018, 12:44 PM
If it's not named the "Ronnie Raygun" or the "Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator", I'm not interested.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Charles Addams, of course.

I love that cartoon.

I also love the fact that the Death Ray is plugged into the ordinary wall plug. Power Efficient!
Maybe that's the problem. It needs 240v.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
A lay gun...now that's a nerd's dream. Point it, pull the trigger, you get laid.

Even better than a nude bomb.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:12 PM
http://wunderland.com/WTS/Rash/misc/addams.htm
Old 07-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
I read about this. Is this something you can see with special glasses?
"The Goggles! They do NOTHING!"
Old 07-04-2018, 05:08 PM
I think that China is testing these on American citizens, but the US government is trying to cover it up with some cockamamie "fireflies" story.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:50 PM
NM

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 07-04-2018 at 05:51 PM.