Old 07-03-2018, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Note that Kirk also got it on with France Nuyen in "Elaan of Troyius," though that was aired a month after "Plato's Stepchildren." A couple of weeks later, he was snogging Yvonne Craig painted green in "Whom Gods Destroy," which should definitely count as far as I'm concerned.
Shouldn't she be colored Bat Purple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Most risque?

That Was the Week That Was was a political/social satire show in the '60s. It started in England, but there was an American version for a couple years as well. From what I've seen of them, they could be downright vicious.

How vicious? There was a song-and-dance number about lynchings in Mississippi. I'll follow the two-click rule for both language and visuals (backup singers in blackface).

If anything can top that, I haven't seen it.

And a bit of trivia; the singer, Millicent Martin, would later play Daphne's mum on Frasier.
Was that the Brit TWTWTW or did Tom Lehrer write the songs for both?
Old 07-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member
How about The Newlywed Game? That show began in 1966.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Aside from that kiss, Star Trek also tackled issues like religion and racism. And because Gene Roddenberry was a lech, the women were often dressed in the skimpiest and most daring costumes standards and practices would let them get away with, and then some. The costume designer, Bill Thiess, specialized in creating outfits that kept everything necessary barely hidden while implying that something might be revealed at any moment. The costumes often looked like wardrobe malfunctions waiting to happen.

Examples:
https://goo.gl/images/Qj7YyF

https://goo.gl/images/V5JKA6

https://goo.gl/images/7N26Z7
The most impressive technology on Star Trek was double-sided tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Was that the Brit TWTWTW or did Tom Lehrer write the songs for both?
I believe that clip is from the British TW3, and that Lehrer wrote for the American version, but I don't think I've heard anything conclusively to that effect.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Even if one specifically wants to identify the first instance of a Caucasian / African-American kiss on American TV, that article indicates that the Trek episode would still only be the second instance, as it says that Nancy Sinatra and Sammy Davis, Jr. kissed on her show in 1967. I've never seen footage of that, so I have no idea if it actually happened.
Maybe the Southern stations didn't run the Sammy Davis Jr. show anyhow. Because he was Jewish, of course.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:08 AM
ris·qué
riˈskā/
adjective
adjective: risqué

slightly indecent or liable to shock, especially by being sexually suggestive.
"his risqué humor"
synonyms: ribald, rude, bawdy, Rabelaisian, racy, earthy, indecent, suggestive, improper, naughty, locker-room; More
vulgar, dirty, smutty, crude, coarse, obscene, lewd, X-rated;
informalblue, raunchy;
off-color
"risqué stories"

Origin
mid 19th century: French, past participle of risquer ‘to risk.’
Translate risque to
Use over time for: risque

I have always thought of risque as being sexually related including lack of clothing coverage

My husband and I frequently watch old shows, 50's and 60's. There has been plenty of times where I have asked him about clothing or the activities on that particular show; "isnt that a bit much for back then?"

Was usually just the women with less covering on the boobs. A lot less for the times

It sure is a lot different than those old days as to which is allowed and not. Now there is a different generation saying what is safe for the public and what is not. Wont be long before women are bare chested, since that kind of thing doesnt bother or has already been seen
by the younger crowd.

Seems a great deal of risque items are all over the entertainment world, how much more is there aside from having sex and the nudity?
Old 07-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Not risque, but Family Affair dealt with some unconventional situations.
Yeah, there was an episode where Buffy was inquisitive about where babies came from. The adults danced around it telling her various lies until Uncle Bill finally told her the truth: Love. Babies come from love.

William Stranix
Old 07-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm
Most risque?

That Was the Week That Was was a political/social satire show in the '60s. It started in England, but there was an American version for a couple years as well. From what I've seen of them, they could be downright vicious.

How vicious? There was a song-and-dance number about lynchings in Mississippi. I'll follow the two-click rule for both language and visuals (backup singers in blackface).
SPOILER:
https://youtu.be/6NtmGlvHbqA

If anything can top that, I haven't seen it.

And a bit of trivia; the singer, Millicent Martin, would later play Daphne's mum on Frasier.
My only complaint is Martin's costume should've had Confederate flag design rather than an American but I don't if that distinction would've mattered to most UK viewers.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 07-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Mannix featured a recurring black character.

Gail Fisher played the girl friday assistant. She joined the show in the 2nd season.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gail_Fisher

Mike Conners was of Armenian descent, Connors was born Krekor Ohanian in Fresno, California in 1925. He faced discrimination at school.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Connors

This seems almost not noteworthy unless you grew up watching tv in the sixties. People of color were rarely seen.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-04-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Benny Hill show and Monty Python (1969-) had plenty of risky business and boobs.

Dick Van Dyke show had Rob and Laura Petrie in a few salacious bedroom scenes with the beds separated by only a flimsy nightstand.

The twitter comments after those shows were XXX rated.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:01 PM
I'll throw some of the (especially Warner Brothers) cartoons in the mix. Not just the Tex Avery bits. Here's a reel of 'em. Can't find some of the ones I remember though ...

Not sure though how many of the more salacious ones had been made for television vs originally film shorts.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:35 AM
I think Laugh-In was by far and away the trailblazer. Yes, Love American Style was a lot of love and a lot of skimpily clad girls, but Laugh-In set the bar. At the time I thought the best job in the world would be the guy who got to paint words on bikini-wearing Judy Carne and Goldie Hawn.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:18 AM
There was that episode of Medical Center where a man has a sex change, complete with being seen at the end dressed as a woman.

I was in elementary school at the time and there was a school yard buzz about it. Lots of parents didn't allow their kids to watch.

The actor playing the guy was "Mr. Brady" from the Brady Bunch, Robert Reed.
I think this might have been 1970, though, not the 60's.
-IQ
Old 07-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob View Post
The actor playing the guy was "Mr. Brady" from the Brady Bunch, Robert Reed.
Not much of a surprise, really....

Medical Center debuted in 1969, following CBS's rural purge. Everything then had to be "now" and "relevant."
Old 07-05-2018, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I think Laugh-In was by far and away the trailblazer. Yes, Love American Style was a lot of love and a lot of skimpily clad girls, but Laugh-In set the bar.
Even as a teenager, I found Love American Style to be sophomoric in the extreme. Laugh-In was just moronic.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member
Medical Center did a lot of those kind of controversial subjects, but mostly during the 70s.

Homosexuality, VD, impotence, sex changes, race relations, drugs - sort of the Pit with stethoscopes.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 07-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
The most impressive technology on Star Trek was double-sided tape.
Not related to the topic of the thread but this reminds me of a story. I read how some guy wrote to the studio asking them about the automatic doors on the show. He wanted to install automatic doors in a building he was designing but the technology he found that was available was fairly primitive. It just sensed when somebody was standing within a certain distance of the door and opened, even if somebody was just walking by the door or standing near it. But he noticed how the doors on Star Trek only opened when somebody was going in or out of the room. So he asked what kind of technology they were using.

Somebody at the studio wrote back to him and said they didn't think he could use their "technology". They just put two stagehands off camera and had them manually pull the door open when it was appropriate for the scene.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:13 AM
The Bob Cummings Show (1955-1959) was about a horn-dog photographer who was always trying to get into his models’ panties. The episode I saw was the most risqué black-and-white TV show I’ve ever seen.

Last edited by Strainger; 07-06-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:06 AM
Paul Lynde, who was on Bewitched, Hollywood Squares, and a frequent guest on talk shows in the 1960s and 1970s always pushed the envelope (for that time anyway). Most of his one-liners were double entendres, and he also was fairly openly gay by the standards of the time.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 AM
Speaking of game shows, the 1970s version of Match Game had a lot of racy stuff. I don't remember enough of the 1960s version to say if they also had that sort of thing.

Anyone recall for sure?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Corellian Nerfherder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Speaking of game shows, the 1970s version of Match Game had a lot of racy stuff. I don't remember enough of the 1960s version to say if they also had that sort of thing.

Anyone recall for sure?
I didn't watch the original (I was pretty young), but if Wikipedia is correct, the original wasn't risque at all, until they had received word that they'd been cancelled. They started doing double-entendre questions (because it amused them, and because they weren't afraid of the network, since they had already been cancelled), their ratings went up, and they got "un-cancelled," and then ran for a number of years, before getting cancelled again when NBC dumped a bunch of game shows.

When the show was revived on CBS in '73, they had, once again, started with tame questions, before quickly returning to the risque ones that the show is now remembered for.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 07-07-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Not the sixties, but there was a Bugs Bunny where he went to the Three Bears' house. He sweet talked Mama Bear to keep from being mauled, and she was smitten. She appeared everywhere he went, once wearing a see-through nightie.