Old 07-09-2018, 08:41 AM
Hopefully your prisoners are well-behaved
Old 07-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Main downside is the commute - at least an hour each way, on LBJ the whole trip for those of y'all familiar with DFW. Which is nobody's idea of fun, but, hey, they're PAYING ME PEOPLE.
That's nice I guess, but personally I prefer to be paid money.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
More cave boys rescued-4 boys and 1 scoutmaster left.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:50 AM
Football's coming home

England win again and are in the semi-final.

All together now - three lions on a shirt!
Old 07-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Baddiel, Skinner and The Lightning Seedsís Three Lions has hit the top of the Official Big Top 40, 22 years after its initial release.

George Ezra, the singer-songwriter was currently enjoying a second week at Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart with Shotgun, but urged fans to get behind Baddiel, Skinner and The Lightning Seeds' football anthem Three Lions this week ahead of England's semi-final match against Croatia.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:08 PM
My son is in the middle of his very well paying Amazon internship as a software developer and it sounds like he is doing a great job.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:55 PM
I'm a contractor who, due to an underwater mortgage, had been struggling financially. Part of the problem is that I am a contractor and the jobs I was getting weren't long enough for me to deal with refinancing. Well, I got it together and sold the house. I'm now looking for smaller situation (though I'm in a tight market) but one thing I did was treat myself with a vacation. I set myself a budget limit and went to France. I had a great time, saw friends, race cars, walked along the ocean, and ate with gusto for 10 days and am now back at work, earning dosh and paying bills. I toted up my spendings and found that I was $400 below my spending limit for the trip. It's like a reward for going on vacation! Proud of myself, I am.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Divers in northern Thailand have rescued all 12 boys and their football coach from the flooded caves, 17 days after they got trapped underground. Yea!!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:09 PM
I went to the doctor for a stomach issue. He insisted on all the tests: colonoscopy
mammogram and pap smear.

All tests came back normal. Yay!

I won't post any pictures.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:43 AM
Paramedics rush a man to the hospital, after he had a heart attack while doing strenuous work on his lawn...and then

return to the home to finish doing his yard work for him.

Last edited by chappachula; 07-11-2018 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Link in Spanish.

The story is about a Panamanian girl who had a huge bening tumor: it affected her back and abdomen, rotting in place on her back. The smell was so bad her grandma was the only one who could stand it to be able to do some cures on her. A Spanish NPO which helps foreign children travel to Spain for organ transplants heard of her case, got her flown here last April and after three surgeries she's now well in her way to recovery.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM
My daughter called after she finished work this afternoon; she received an email that she was accepted to Bar Ilan University. We're thrilled for her!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member
I just found a 1935 quarter in my pocket change! Worth nothing in its very worn condition, but a fun find of a piece of silver.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinna Minna Ma View Post
My daughter called after she finished work this afternoon; she received an email that she was accepted to Bar Ilan University. We're thrilled for her!
Congratulations! What field does she hope to get into?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Car repair came in about $100 less than the original estimate...and that included the brake repair we didn't think we could afford.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:36 AM
Charter Member
On Saturday, one of my nieces married her very nice girlfriend, after the girlfriend just had a scare with a massive kidney tumor. The same day, another niece gave birth to a healthy baby boy, her 2nd. Two great events in one day.

StG
Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 AM
My 92 year old father is recovering nicely from gall bladder removal. This two weeks after the surgeon told me in the hospital "if it was my father, I'd keep him comfortable and let him pass". Luckily he's a better surgeon than his bedside manner would indicate.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member
I just paid off my new used car.
Simster: Well, then, I am complimenting you like a mother....
Old 07-17-2018, 09:23 AM
My heater died (boo!). Which wasn't unexpected, and I figured I'd do a big renovation rather than patch things up (big by my standards).

For some reason, renovations companies in Catalonia:
1) go to measure the place,
2) give you a budget/quotation,
3) redo a new one every time there is any tweaks, (this may be linked to the fact that Catalonia is also the one place where I've had clients who needed to get hit with the full weight of Previous Meetings Minutes every time - you don't so much need a paper trail as the greatgrandmother of all paper trails),
4) do not provide any plans, drawings or blueprints, (thankfully the carpenter had one and when I saw it I realized there had been some information lost along the way),
5) and there is a specific meeting to choose the materials after everything else is approved (why? that changes the budget again!)

In Navarre we start by the materials and so long as any changes are in writing there's no need to re-create the budgets (email counts, SMS counts, whatsapp counts, handwritten notes on the printed budget count if signed by both parties, a note on an broken envelope counts if signed by both parties).

Whatever. They're starting on the 6th. I'm getting AC (much needed in Barcelona's summers), I'm getting rid of the gas (not much more economic than electric for 1 people, and dangerous with Mom around), I'm fixing a bunch of minor things (such as those safety bars in the windows with more rust than iron) and I'm opening up the mini-kitchen into the too-large entrance hall to have a kitchen which won't give me Bangles earworms! Yay!

Last edited by Nava; 07-17-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:56 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Sorry, I should've answered this sooner. They were some kind of Carlisles. I replaced them with the Goodyear Endurance (so I could move up to load range E and a higher max speed).
Old Today, 09:44 AM
I had sold my house in March before I started looking for a new place. Well, I found the new place and they accepted my offer. It's a 2-bedroom condo with a cute screened porch. It needs the inside refurbed, but that's not an issue as I love refurb projects. Best of all, it fit my budget plans. I might just eventually be able to retire.
Old Today, 10:24 AM
The dogs woke me up at 5:30 this morning. It was a beautiful, cool, summer morning. I woke up my gf and suggested we saddle up and ride. It was so nice!