Old 07-10-2018, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Yes, methinks there are some cultural factors at work (British reticence) in addition to the more obvious political ones. I reiterate that awareness of common reader reaction is appropriate for a writer.
"British reticence" is not much of a thing these days, particularly for people who participate on public messageboards.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
"British reticence" is not much of a thing these days, particularly for people who participate on public messageboards.
Poor word choice on my part.

Preference for indirect commentary perhaps?
Old 07-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Preference for indirect commentary perhaps?
Quartz has a very individual, perhaps unique, perspective on many matters of import.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Poster SanVito caught this one: in the name of equality, Quartz is making sure to use female pronouns for evil liberals, instead of the default male ones (or, heaven forbid, a gender-neutral option):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Point out to the shop steward that one day it might be she who asks to come back.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Quartz started another thread on persecution of men today. This one on men raising children.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 07-11-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Quartz started another thread on persecution of men today. This one on men raising children.
I'm bringing this response over here from that thread because the discussion is moving out of IMHO territory:

Quote:
You haven't complained about other topics about which I've started several threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I have!
And you're hardly the only person who has taken flack on this board for starting multiple threads on similar topics. It's a common practice here. Have you not noticed?

Quote:
Ooh! Ulterior motives! That's the second time, I think, that I've been accused of having ulterior motives. Please, do tell me what my agenda, my evil masterplan is.
Since you asked: to justify your impression of yourself as a victim, of course. It is clear that your position is that nothing is ever your fault and no negative reaction to a post of yours is justified in your mind, oh no - it's always other people's fault for picking on you unjustly.

Except, as your vaccine thread amply shows, you deliberately and carefully court this view; you could easily have explained what you meant by "respect" but instead you repeatedly insisted that everyone else was unfairly reading too much into a post that they were begging you to explain in your own words. Or consider the Brexit discussions - you came right out and accused Remainers of being undemocratic, yet when it was pointed out that it was your position (that a second referendum shouldn't be held) that was the undemocratic one, you complained again about being picked on and left the board for a while. We call out other one-trick-ponies but no, we must be calling you out this time because of your brave stance on fighting injustice against men.

So never mind your view of women - the larger issue simply seems to be that as a board member you prefer to cast yourself as the victim and insist that the rest of us are big meanies rather than accept that, by and large, reactions to your posts are warranted. Either own the consequences of your posts or don't make them, sunshine.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Hijack!
Yes, methinks there are some cultural factors at work (British reticence) in addition to the more obvious political ones. I reiterate that awareness of common reader reaction is appropriate for a writer.
Oh no, that style's all his. Nothing remotely British about that.