Old 07-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Not rude as long as you say please and thank you (when appropriate) to the waitress and leave a 15% tip (it's not 20% no matter what you're trying to be indoctrinated to, unless the service is above and beyond)
Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Not rude as long as you say please and thank you (when appropriate) to the waitress and leave a 15% tip (it's not 20% no matter what you're trying to be indoctrinated to, unless the service is above and beyond)
"Tip creep" has pushed it up to 20% in...most? maybe? of the country? I know my servers will grouse if they 'only get' a 15% and im in an area that is slow to catch up with the rest of the country. And MY first reaction is always 'What? You got 15% Youre complaining"?

I kinda agree with you. I used to always tip 20% cause im in the business and i want to be a nice guy but tip creep has kept me from going further than that. Now i just slap down 20% and then a couple of dollars more and don't feel the slightest bit guilty cause im just not Rockefeller and cant afford to be an outrageous tipper.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
At a restaurant right now. No wait. Party of 4. Seated at 7:52. Beer just arrived. It's 8:09.
No wait doesn't mean they wern't busy. Could be a big restaurant, or could be understaffed that shift. etc...etc...

All that said....17 minutes is too long to get your beer. And if you called me over and mentioned it, I'd buy you an appetizer.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
"Tip creep" has pushed it up to 20% in...most? maybe? of the country?
Yeah, 20% has been standard here for probably two decades; maybe only a decade and a half if I'm being generous. Now, it's Chicago, so probably a more tipping area. It was 15% when I was growing up in the 80s, though. Pretty sure we have about a zillion threads about this topic, too.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-08-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
More evidence that the Dope is a very non-representative sample....
and humorless.