#1
Old 07-03-2018, 08:27 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,273
How am I so special

A friend of mine recently called me and asked for my help. Specifically he asked me:

“Luke, I need some help and you are literally the one person on earth that can help me.”

I assumed he was speaking hyperbolically, he assured me he was not. Before he asked me, I could not imagine what I and I alone could help him with. But after he asked, I realized he was right.

I am not a famous or particularly talented person. I don’t own any one of a kind items. This is an old, close friend but one who I see only a few times a year these days.

I’m sure there might be several possible answers to this question but I could think of just this one. Can you guess what it might be?

Note: this is not a hypothetical, it actually happened.
#2
Old 07-03-2018, 08:31 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,212
INHO - Most probable answer for why and "old, close friend" would contact you for help is your shared history along with a sense of trust that history creates. It has nothing to do with what you CAN do. It's what your friend think you will do, probably discretely and with few questions asked.

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 07-03-2018 at 08:32 AM.
#3
Old 07-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,273
Wow, that’s actually on the right path. Nice job. But it is something he asked me to physically do.

Last edited by Lucas Jackson; 07-03-2018 at 08:37 AM.
#4
Old 07-03-2018, 08:41 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 17,923
Drive the getaway car?
#5
Old 07-03-2018, 08:41 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,212
If you ask me to extract cricket bat splinters from your ass, that's something you want me to physically do. You would probably prefer that I do it discretely and with few questions.

I'm not your friend and I ask questions. We need the whole story.
#6
Old 07-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Way South of the N Pole
Posts: 368
Perhaps dig up a time capsule sort of thing you buried together sometime in your youth? Or retrieve an item that was otherwise hidden away in a place that only you would know about?
__________________
"Can we take a direct flight back to reality or do we have to change places in Denver? "
#7
Old 07-03-2018, 09:21 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 6,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
Or retrieve an item that was otherwise hidden away in a place that only you would know about?
He asked Lucas to move the body to a new shallow grave.

Or, Lucas is the only one with access to a safe deposit box or some such, and the friend gave him something for safekeeping years ago.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 07-03-2018 at 09:21 AM.
#8
Old 07-03-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 13,539
Impregnate his wife?
#9
Old 07-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,200
Donate a kidney since you are the only known tissue match.
__________________
Lurking in the corridors of my mind.
#10
Old 07-03-2018, 11:25 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,518
Plant your fingerprints and DNA at a crime scene?
#11
Old 07-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 6,218
Alpha Twit: It's "discreetly" if you mean "with discretion."

If you mean "separately," then "discretely" would be correct.
#12
Old 07-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 7,697
I can just about guarantee it will be unpleasant, whatever it is.
#13
Old 07-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Horrified Onlooker
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Posts: 5,241
I'm thinking of an old joke about a rattlesnake bite in a sensitive area with the punchline "Doctor says you gonna die."
#14
Old 07-03-2018, 11:55 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,241
No, it's a well established protocol that BOTH keys are needed to launch those missiles.
#15
Old 07-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 27,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
INHO - Most probable answer for why and "old, close friend" would contact you for help is your shared history along with a sense of trust that history creates. It has nothing to do with what you CAN do. It's what your friend think you will do, probably discretely and with few questions asked.
Like wire money to them in a foreign country because they got mugged and need to buy new airplane tickets.
#16
Old 07-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,273
All good guesses that I probably wouldn’t have thought of.

What happened was he had told someone he was camping with me when in reality he was somewhere he shouldn’t have been and needed an alibi. He wanted me to send him photos of a camping trip we had taken together years ago.

I didn’t and wished him well.
#17
Old 07-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 6,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
All good guesses that I probably wouldn’t have thought of.

What happened was he had told someone he was camping with me when in reality he was somewhere he shouldn’t have been and needed an alibi. He wanted me to send him photos of a camping trip we had taken together years ago.

I didn’t and wished him well.
Oh, that's a good one. Was the "someone" his wife? And how did he take it when you refused to give him the pictures?

Also, if the pics were taken years ago, were they useful? "Hey Hon, I was camping with Luke last week, I swear. See, here are these pics of us.... No! My hair always grows out and I lose 20 pounds whenever I go camping! Damndest thing!"
#18
Old 07-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 7,697
He wanted you to lie for him? I might have done it.....for a price.
#19
Old 07-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
He wanted you to lie for him? I might have done it.....for a price.
Ha ha. Well it was for a woman. The problem was I was also friends with her so I would have felt bad being complicit in the lie.

I hadn’t seen him in 6 months or so, so no idea if he would have matched the old photos. I’m sure he knew it was a dodgy ask when he did it.
#20
Old 07-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,797
Did you at least consider blackmailing him?
#21
Old 07-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 9,317
Actually no, you aren’t the only person in the world who could have helped.

There are thousands of free lance Photoshop artists out there.
#22
Old 07-05-2018, 08:17 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 13,322
Maybe he sent that request to everyone he knows, figuring someone would step up.
#23
Old 07-05-2018, 10:27 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
A friend of mine recently called me and asked for my help. Specifically he asked me:

“Luke, I need some help and you are literally the one person on earth that can help me.”

I assumed he was speaking hyperbolically, he assured me he was not. Before he asked me, I could not imagine what I and I alone could help him with. But after he asked, I realized he was right.

I am not a famous or particularly talented person. I don’t own any one of a kind items. This is an old, close friend but one who I see only a few times a year these days.

I’m sure there might be several possible answers to this question but I could think of just this one. Can you guess what it might be?

Note: this is not a hypothetical, it actually happened.
he's buttering you up so you'll feel guilty if you don't help him.

most people are manipulators and users, and they're very good at it.
#24
Old 07-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: England
Posts: 57,538
I'd guess he needed a door propped open and you are the only person he's ever met with wedge-shaped feet. Am I close?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: johnny concheroo diaper torture wasd hand position hairy arms girls bodybuilding doctor riddles for dnd airborne aids polonius son grape coke flathead screws death star diagram david blaine icepick medela symphony batteries a shaggy dog story how do you pronounce cicada can you put water in a car battery can you chew gum before colonoscopy glow in the dark paint sherwin williams what engines can fit in my car when turning left from a three lane are radio waves photons how to find intersection probability what is an unmarked bill low med high switch does laserjet toner go bad