Old 07-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Abled-bodied poor people have so little time to work or volunteer or look for work or go to school? What are they doing all day that takes up all that valuable time?
Are we counting mothers with small children in this part of the discussion?

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 07-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Probably.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Making someone do something for a few hours a week to earn something is "punishing them"? Strange, guess I'm punishing my children when I make them do chores for allowance money.

Strange thoughts some of you have.
When everyone else gets it, and you are the outlier, then that suggests you the one with strange thoughts.

Healthcare is not money. Healthcare is a basic human right. Thus taking it away is a punishment. It is not okay to allow people to die because they can't find work.

Your kid's allowance, on the other hand, is a gift. You can choose to give it or not give it for whatever reason you want. There is no right for a child to get an allowance. So not giving it to them is not a punishment. But you better be sure to provide them with all the healthcare you can, or your child can be taken from you.

What's more, as said in the OP, it actually costs more money to deprive these other people. That means even the people who do follow the requirements will receive less healthcare.

And, BTW, not everyone who is actually disabled can get the government to sign off on them being disabled. I have friends who clearly cannot work due to multiple illnesses but cannot get disability. Fortunately, they can still get healthcare.

Last edited by BigT; 07-09-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
... not everyone who is actually disabled can get the government to sign off on them being disabled. I have friends who clearly cannot work due to multiple illnesses but cannot get disability. Fortunately, they can still get healthcare.
According to the Modern Amurrican Prosperity Gospel, if they were more virtuous and righteous, they wouldn't be having those problems
Old 07-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Are they the primary caregiver for that small child?
Old 07-09-2018, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
When everyone else gets it, and you are the outlier, then that suggests you the one with strange thoughts.

Healthcare is not money. Healthcare is a basic human right. Thus taking it away is a punishment. It is not okay to allow people to die because they can't find work.

Your kid's allowance, on the other hand, is a gift. You can choose to give it or not give it for whatever reason you want. There is no right for a child to get an allowance. So not giving it to them is not a punishment. But you better be sure to provide them with all the healthcare you can, or your child can be taken from you.

What's more, as said in the OP, it actually costs more money to deprive these other people. That means even the people who do follow the requirements will receive less healthcare.

And, BTW, not everyone who is actually disabled can get the government to sign off on them being disabled. I have friends who clearly cannot work due to multiple illnesses but cannot get disability. Fortunately, they can still get healthcare.
Well, I don't believe I'm the only one who doesn't get it. Maybe YOU don't get it.

I don't believe that health care is a basic human right, so that argument won't work on me. However, a rich prosperous country like ours SHOULD be able to provide health care to its population, which I am for.

However, having the people receiving that health care do something productive for a mere 80 hours a month is something I'm cool with. I don't think it's an undue burden for able-bodied Americans to do something in order to enjoy the benefits of living in this country. If you think people should be able to just do nothing and receive money and health care, then good for you. I simply disagree with that.

And I know people who say they are disabled and can't work at all but have thousands of posts on a message board, so obviously they can at least type. But hey, you be you.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Are they the primary caregiver for that small child?
Let's say yes. It may be more than one child.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 07-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Let's say yes. It may be more than one child.
Then they are exempt, at least according to the KY rules that were created.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Quote:
....do something productive for a mere 80 hours a month is something I'm cool with. I don't think it's an undue burden for able-bodied Americans to do something in order to enjoy the benefits of living in this country...
By which measure the idle rich don't deserve much of anything. Whoa, steady up, there, Tom Joad.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
By which measure the idle rich don't deserve much of anything. Whoa, steady up, there, Tom Joad.
Are there a lot of idle rich who get stuff for free from the government?
Old 07-09-2018, 08:02 PM
More to the point, if something needs be done, then it can be paid for. What better answer for a job that needs doing than someone getting a job. Or do you plan to use your "volunteers" for things that don't need doing, but somehow are going to call that being "productive"?
Old 07-09-2018, 08:04 PM
What? Habitat for Humanity needs people to build houses. You think they shouldn't take volunteers and should pay everyone that works on the houses?

There are soup kitchens all over my area. You think they should pay people to serve, instead of people volunteering to do it?

Last edited by manson1972; 07-09-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Are there a lot of idle rich who get stuff for free from the government?
Fuck's sake, literally all of them.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Fuck's sake, literally all of them.
Really? Literally ALL rich people sit around all day doing nothing? They don't spend at least 80 hours a month working?

Shoot, I guess Zuckerburg has it made. Has a huge company, and doesn't even do anything all day, everyday, to ensure the company is functioning.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Really? Literally ALL rich people sit around all day doing nothing? They don't spend at least 80 hours a month working?

Shoot, I guess Zuckerburg has it made. Has a huge company, and doesn't even do anything all day, everyday, to ensure the company is functioning.

I believe it was "idle rich".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 07:49 AM
Quote:

No, literally all the "idle rich" "get stuff for free from the government." As do the non-idle rich.

You're so ready to lash out about this you're not taking a breath to consider what words might mean. Cool down and parse.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 AM
Quote:
No, literally all the "idle rich" "get stuff for free from the government." As do the non-idle rich.

You're so ready to lash out about this you're not taking a breath to consider what words might mean. Cool down and parse.
And you are so flabbergasted that you can't use the normal "poor people are too busy to do anything else besides work" excuse that you now have to bring supposedly idle rich people into the discussion. Others are going so far as to say there shouldn't be volunteers anymore.

Just say "I think it's okay that able-bodied Americans do nothing in order to receive medical benefits" and I will say "I disagree" and we can move on.

And if you are bored, can you state what some of this free stuff that the idle rich get from the government? I'd like to have a goal in life.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Quote:
...you now have to bring supposedly idle rich people into the discussion.
Christ on a moped, dude. You are the one who started the "idle rich" thing. I really think you need a break from this thread.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Christ on a moped, dude. You are the one who started the "idle rich" thing. I really think you need a break from this thread.
I believe post #109 first used the phrase "idle rich". Perhaps your outrage over able-bodied people actually doing productive things has blinded you to the authors of posts.

Last edited by manson1972; 07-10-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:53 AM
I stand corrected; you certainly did not initiate the use of the term in this thread.

You have nonetheless lost a ton of perspective and context. I'm not sure why this is such a hot-button topic for you, but I'm sorry that I have, however unwittingly, contributed to your ire. I'll see myself out, but I again heartily recommend you do the same for the sake of your blood pressure.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Quote:
I stand corrected; you certainly did not initiate the use of the term in this thread.

You have nonetheless lost a ton of perspective and context. I'm not sure why this is such a hot-button topic for you, but I'm sorry that I have, however unwittingly, contributed to your ire. I'll see myself out, but I again heartily recommend you do the same for the sake of your blood pressure.
Thanks for looking out! Although I'm shocked that you are able to tell the blood pressure of an anonymous message board user. Is that some sort of super skill you have?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:02 AM
Oooh. Snap.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Update: The Trump administration is taking another stab at approving work requirements for Kentucky's Medicaid program, weeks after a federal judge blocked its initial approval.

So, they are opening a 30-day comment period? That's it? No changes to the waiver that will mitigate the state's own estimate that 95 thousand people will lose health care coverage? How will getting a bunch of comments help anything?
Old 07-20-2018, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollu View Post
Update: The Trump administration is taking another stab at approving work requirements for Kentucky's Medicaid program, weeks after a federal judge blocked its initial approval.

So, they are opening a 30-day comment period? That's it? No changes to the waiver that will mitigate the state's own estimate that 95 thousand people will lose health care coverage? How will getting a bunch of comments help anything?
It buys time to place the proper bribes??