Old 07-16-2018, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy1960 View Post
Another fact is that our populace at large is poorly educated and knows little about politics beyond personalities.
Welcome to Planet Earth, hope you enjoy your stay!

Now seriously, I think that's true for anything decided at a level bigger than a single-home family, and sometimes even at that level.

Last edited by Nava; 07-16-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlifethroughchemistry View Post
Please expand upon that statement. As someone who does feel proud to be an American, it really upsets me to see you feel that way...'surrounded by a nation that hates me and will always hate me' is a really powerful thing to say and I would hope we could discuss this further to understand your feelings...
I can't promise he meant this, but: DT is an atheist. To a lot of Americans, that's worse than being a baby-abusing cannibal.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I can't promise he meant this, but: DT is an atheist. To a lot of Americans, that's worse than being a baby-abusing cannibal.
Which is really unfair, given the cannibalism thing has been largely brought under control.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:36 PM
Bewildered would be a more accurate word. Pretty much my entire worldview is a complete 180 from what's accepted as normal or even mandatory in this country. I honestly feel like an alien sometimes. Needless to say, I'm in no mood to travel anywhere on vacation, and if I ever do, I'm definitely leaving the "USA" shirt behind. Yeah, it's just three white letters on a plain blue background, but no sense taking the chance.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Welcome to Planet Earth, hope you enjoy your stay!

Now seriously, I think that's true for anything decided at a level bigger than a single-home family, and sometimes even at that level.
Would you say the problem is as bad in other nations as it is here?

This is a flaw inherent in our system. A Democracy IMO can only work if you have a population that knows what is going on. Look at all those "man on the street" interviews wherein the respondent can't even answer basic questions like which party the person they voted for belongs to. Such people are the death of Democracy.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Not at all. I chose to live here, and I don't plan to leave. In fact, Trump has finally gotten me to apply for citizenship.* Our current government is pretty awful, but no worse than, say, Berlusconi's.

*In case he becomes less discriminating about which brown people to kick out, not because the country is more appealing with a Trump in charge.