Old 07-14-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I like toppings on my hot dogs. brown mustard, relish, kraut maybe but often I just want to enjoy a plain hot dog in a bun (or even not in a bun sometimes).

While I will eat sesame seed, poppy seed or egg bagels, I will always prefer plain ones. Don't even need cream cheese or butter. I can and will just eat one like a doughnut.

Speaking of doughnuts, I like plain ones of those too.
I go back and forth. Sometimes I want a burger with just cheese and ketchup. Sometimes I want a bunch of stuff.

I would never, however, eat a bagel like a doughnut. Bagels need something (not toasting, though).

My favorite doughnuts are plain cake, but I also like the other kind.

Quote:
Vanilla ice cream with nothing on it? Yes please.
Vanilla ice cream might look plain, but in my mind vanilla flavoring is fundamentally the opposite of plain. Having said that, I almost always go for chocolate ice cream.

Last edited by Acsenray; 07-14-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:41 AM
The man of the house likes his meat slathered in something called Montreal seasoning.

I die. I may start using separate pans for his food. That stuff is the nasty
Old 07-14-2018, 11:06 AM
My husband worked in an office with several women. They ordered pizza now and then, and they got things like whole wheat crust with broccoli, or feta cheese, or pineapple and ham. He and the other guy wanted a traditional plain old pepperoni pizza. So the pepperoni and the 'exotic' pizzas arrived, and guess, just guess, which pizza disappeared as soon as the lid of the box was lifted? He used to get so mad! He'd have to drop everything at pizza time and be the first one to grab a slice of pepperoni pizza before it was gone. (he said the whole-wheat-and-spinach pizzas and such had plenty of leftover slices. So why didn't the women just order pepperoni? Because they thought the weird ones were 'healthier'?)

Last edited by salinqmind; 07-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:15 AM
When we do the "pizza at work" thing, I always make sure we order a large with anchovies. That way I get a few slices and can take the rest home with me.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:29 AM
Charter Member
Since I work in a store owned by Jewish people, they always order one plain cheese pizza, in additional to anything else. I love it because I'm a vegetarian. Lately they've been ordered one half ham and half pineapple. Those who like it can combine the two, and us kosher and veggie folks concentrate on the pineapple.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I go back and forth. Sometimes I want a burger with just cheese and ketchup. Sometimes I want a bunch of stuff.

I would never, however, eat a bagel like a doughnut. Bagels need something (not toasting, though).

My favorite doughnuts are plain cake, but I also like the other kind.

Vanilla ice cream might look plain, but in my mind vanilla flavoring is fundamentally the opposite of plain. Having said that, I almost always go for chocolate ice cream.
Plus: different types of vanilla, all equally good: French vanilla (extra eggs, right?), vanilla bean, and my fave--the kind you had to crank by hand for 3 hours every 4th of July in your backyard; billions of tiny ice crystals. Crunchy vanilla, mmmmmmmm.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Potatoes with salt and pepper.

When I was younger, steak cooked with salt and nothing else.

Dates out of the box, plain like candy.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
He didn't want anyone to show his burger to a duck?
Hehe, knew I was gonna get the business for misspelling that one when I noticed after the edit window.

It's a fair cop, but I was talking about the steak.

Last edited by scabpicker; 07-14-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:10 PM
Speaking of ice cream, I like ice cream. I like cake. I don't care for ice cream and cake stuck in a bowl together. The ice cream melts and gets the cake soggy, and cake bits get into the ice cream and make it grainy.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Speaking of ice cream, I like ice cream. I like cake. I don't care for ice cream and cake stuck in a bowl together. The ice cream melts and gets the cake soggy, and cake bits get into the ice cream and make it grainy.
Cake+ice cream+Guinness = amazing beer float. Mmmmmmm!
Old 07-14-2018, 03:55 PM
I only buy plain white bath towels. No colors or trim. Does that count?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Hehe, knew I was gonna get the business for misspelling that one when I noticed after the edit window.

It's a fair cop, but I was talking about the steak.
I still don't understand what you were trying to say...
Old 07-14-2018, 04:35 PM
I like grapefruit plain. When I was a kid I thought it needed sugar. I really miss grapefruit juice, can't have it due to medication.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:50 PM
I run St Louis's BEST NY Style Pizzeria....

Plain Cheese and Pepperoni are our best selling two slices and Pies...cheese being #1
Old 07-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Corellian Nerfherder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licentious Ectomorph View Post
I still don't understand what you were trying to say...
I suspect he was trying to refer to the Maillard reaction, which is what happens when some foods (such as steaks) are browned, and which lends a certain flavor.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I suspect he was trying to refer to the Maillard reaction, which is what happens when some foods (such as steaks) are browned, and which lends a certain flavor.
Gotcha, thanks.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Sardines right out of the can at room temperature.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:48 PM
Ever since childhood, I've ordered my salads and bake potatoes dry. Never had gravy on anything.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:14 PM
lucky you 80 percent of anything ive ever eaten needed something on it so you could choke it down …..

If you've ever eaten any food from the the school districts around here youll understand why the cafeterias here spend a grand or two a year on Costco size drums of bbq sauce
Old 07-14-2018, 08:51 PM
Quote:
My first thought is that she was getting kickbacks.
She liked to sneak home and day drink. I doubt she was getting fancy pizza kickbacks. She liked her wine and pretending to be a big fish in a small pond and not caring we all hated her guts.

Her guts, should we have eaten them, of course would have been served plain.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
lucky you 80 percent of anything ive ever eaten needed something on it so you could choke it down …..

If you've ever eaten any food from the the school districts around here youll understand why the cafeterias here spend a grand or two a year on Costco size drums of bbq sauce
Because it makes Jimbo and Üter taste better?

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 07-15-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:40 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member
How about cheese? Some stores (notably Trader Joe's) are selling cheese with stuff mixed into it, like chives or apricots. I love cheese, and prefer to have it by itself without its taste disguised by other flavors.

I also don't like the trend of making cheese from more than one kind of milk. Milk from cows, sheep and goats each has its own character, which is lost when they're mixed together. I've tried cheese made from a mixture of all three, and it tasted like nothing in particular.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I only buy plain white bath towels. No colors or trim. Does that count?
It does! Viva la plain!
Old 07-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member
Have we covered tea yet? I like tea. Plain tea. C. sinensis. What's with putting all the fruity stuff in it. This thread from 15 years ago pretty much covers it.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:30 PM
My thoughts:

Hamburgers.
I usually eat my hamburgers with cheese and ketchup; but occasionally I just eat them plain.
Potatoes. I usually my baked and mashed potatoes with just butter and black peppers. I'm not big fan of seasoned french fries though I almost always eat them with ketchup.
Steak. I usually eat my steak unseasoned though occasionally I use steak sauce for dipping. I prefer my steak medium rare.
Pizza I hjaven't ordered a plain cheese pizza in years. I always get toppings.

Last edited by dorvann; 07-15-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:49 AM
YAY PLAIN STUFF!! I'm loving this thread. I've always felt like an outsider with my "plain" foods. Always the one that has to have a special order. And always being worried that my order will be screwed up. If I go to a fast food place, I always unwrap my burger before I leave to make sure it's plain. It happens quite a bit. Also, having to be the person at a restaurant that has to sit and wait while everyone else is eating because I had to send my incorrect order back. I'm so sick of hearing, "how can you eat that plain, isn't it dry?" I always wonder why when eating, say a turkey sandwich, you would want to overpower the turkey with mayo or mustard or some other yucky spread or PICKLES . You might as well just take the turkey off!

-Cheeseburgers plain (once I ordered "a plain cheeseburger" and I got a hamburger with no cheese on it! Now I always say, "plain cheeseburger - cheese only)
-Hot dogs - plain and no need for brats or polish - just a good old-fashioned hot dog
-Steak, chicken, etc. - just salt
-Pizza - only pepperoni
-Salad - no dressing preferred. Most dressing is so strong that it's all you can taste. I would rather just eat the raw veggies. Give me some cherry tomatoes, cukes, etc. on the side.
-Ice cream - plain chocolate. I don't need a bunch of toppings
-Brownies, cakes, cookies - no nuts please. I'd rather eat nuts by themselves.
-Sandwiches - NO MAYO!!!!! Just meat, cheese and bread. Preferably some form of a white bread or bun.
-French fries - no ketchup or any other dipping sauce
-Potato chips - plain old chips and NO DIP
-I like the regular Doritos (red bag) but prefer plain tortilla chips. I also miss the plain Doritos
-Eggs - just salt & pepper
-Love plain chocolate cake, warm from the oven without frosting
-Bagels - plain are good, but I do like cinnamon or blueberry. But butter only if toasted! No cream cheese!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:56 PM
I won't use steak sauce. A good piece of meat, cooked to my taste (not well done) needs nothing. Even chicken is fine if it is broiled plain. No tartar sauce or cocktail sauce for seafood unless it's been dried out in the cooking process.

The only food I salt in a restaurant is sweet potato fries. Except I shouldn't eat them.

I wish I could have a plain cake donut. Or a plain Eggo waffle, toasted. Or any bread. The local Chinese buffet makes humongous yeast rolls that are dessert to me.

Darn diet.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:37 PM
I eat absolutely nothing plain. Plain food is bland and boring to me. Give me a bacon cheeseburger (with ketchup, mustard, onions, and a slice of pickle), fries with ketchup, and some pie with ice cream, and you'll make me a happy camper. Otherwise, there's no reason for living.

Oh yeah, and a vanilla Coke or some peach iced tea.

Last edited by cochrane; 07-16-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Une merveilleuse cerise
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post

-Salad - no dressing preferred. Most dressing is so strong that it's all you can taste. I would rather just eat the raw veggies. Give me some cherry tomatoes, cukes, etc. on the side.
I wouldn't presume to tell you how to eat, but on the off-chance you'd reconsider: Put your dressing on the side. Then, dip your fork into it, then spear your salad. You get a taste of the dressing and it doesn't overwhelm the salad. I've been doing this for years, since I saw the tip in an article about dieting and eating out.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
I wouldn't presume to tell you how to eat, but on the off-chance you'd reconsider: Put your dressing on the side. Then, dip your fork into it, then spear your salad. You get a taste of the dressing and it doesn't overwhelm the salad. I've been doing this for years, since I saw the tip in an article about dieting and eating out.
I've done that on occasion and it's ok, but still prefer just some raw veggies.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
The weird stuff I've gotten from waiters over the years is unbelievable. What's so hard to understand: "Salad with nothing on it."
Just tell them "dressing on the side." It's less ambiguous.

I like a lot of condiments, but feel that most salad dressings are an abomination. I generally prefer my salad without dressing.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:12 AM
I'll often eat spaghetti noodles with nothing on them. Just oodles and oodles of noodles.

I'll eat tomato paste out of the can; I've liked doing that since I was a kid.

I'll fairly often eat plain white bread.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 07-18-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Just tell them "dressing on the side." It's less ambiguous.
"On the side" is never actually completely on the side. And how on Earth is "no dressing" ambiguous????
Old 07-18-2018, 07:43 AM
I've been reading through this thread, and I want to participate, but I can't think of a single food where my favorite way to eat it is plain (unless you count asking for no whipped cream on anything that comes with whipped cream).

So, instead of food, my contribution is water. As a kid, the drink options at any sort of special event tended to be soft drinks, and since I don't like soda I'd stick with the water. Now that I'm a grown up, there's usually alcohol, but I don't like a lot of alcohol, too. You go to a concert or festival, you're usually stuck with beer, which I don't like. Only drinks I really like are cocktails, and even with cocktails you're taking a gamble because they have to be made correctly. Too much alcohol and I'm too weak to handle it; too much sugar and it tastes gross; I love Bloody Marys but sometimes they're too spicy. So I will very often be the lame duck drinking water as everyone else is cutting loose.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:48 AM
Quote:
"On the side" is never actually completely on the side. And how on Earth is "no dressing" ambiguous????
When I ask and get it on the side, it comes in a little cup, not on the lettuce. And you can add as little or as much as you want. How is that not "completely on the side"?

I can't believe all of the people who say they eat salad with no dressing. That's not a salad... it's rabbit food.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
When I ask and get it on the side, it comes in a little cup, not on the lettuce. And you can add as little or as much as you want. How is that not "completely on the side"?

I can't believe all of the people who say they eat salad with no dressing. That's not a salad... it's rabbit food.
I can't believe it either; I thought I was the only one, and I'm not using hyperbole. I honestly don't recall meeting anyone IRL who liked salad without dressing. I've known people who don't like vegetables period and could maybe choke a salad down because of the dressing, but I get the strangest looks when I ask for "no dressing". I don't even want it on the side as I've never encountered a dressing that didn't smell awful.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:32 AM
Quote:

Salad with a squeeze of lemon, black coffee, cigarettes: the model's keeping slim diet since the 20's. Urk.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:59 AM
Salt on a perfectly grilled steak is enough for me, but I will try different rubs from time to time.

One of my go to snacks is tortilla chips with Louisiana hot sauce. I lick the plate clean of crumbs and hot sauce, too.

I also like water. I drink loads of different beverages, but chilled water is awesome.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Salad with a squeeze of lemon, black coffee, cigarettes: the model's keeping slim diet since the 20's. Urk.

Yum! Mixed together

I eat out of trash cans sometimes
Old 07-18-2018, 02:09 PM
Sometimes I snack on plain potato chips or saltines-no toppings, seasonings, or dip.
I also occasionally enjoy plain noodles or spaghetti--well maybe with just a little butter.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 PM
I like plain vanilla ice cream and lightly salted potato chips. But sometimes I mess up this plainness by eating them together.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Yes! Why eat something and not get the taste of it cause it's covered in something else? I don't want an egg and cheese sandwich. I was an egg, some cheese, and some bread I can eat separately.
I honestly can't work out if this is sarcasm or not. Like, do I serve you cookies or a deli platter with butter, sugar, eggs, and some flour? I'll not be inviting you over until I can get this right.

Salty crunchy things I like plain
Soda water
Most bread (but I won't scowl at you if there's butter)
Crab & clam-like critters--butter and seasoning is highly optional
I like my Twinkies right out of the wrapper, no need to deep fry
Gravy (no need to confound it with turkey, mashed potatoes, or stuffing--just give me a straw and stand back)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:53 PM
Quote:

Not usually as I've seen it. It comes in a lump on the side of plate, spreading out into whatever it's supposed to be on the side of.

So, if I want to reduce waste I should ask for the dressing on the side, and then tell them to leave the cup in the kitchen for someone else??????????????????
Old 07-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Quote:
... It comes in a lump on the side of plate, spreading out into whatever it's supposed to be on the side of.
I have never seen anyone serve dressing like that when it's requested on the side. Is that a regional thing?
Old 07-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Jeeps.

V8 or I6 with a carb and mechanical fuel pump. No "brain box" or power windows and seats or kooky stuff you can't fix on the trail with simple tools and a well placed and anticipated spare.

Manual locking hubs are okay in my book, too.

Eat that!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Not usually as I've seen it. It comes in a lump on the side of plate, spreading out into whatever it's supposed to be on the side of.

So, if I want to reduce waste I should ask for the dressing on the side, and then tell them to leave the cup in the kitchen for someone else??????????????????
I don't recall ever seeing dressing served like that.

But I don't live in a region where people get worked up about throwing a tiny plastic cup into the trash... Or worrying about washing a tiny metal cup, for that matter.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:44 AM
Quote:
How about cheese? Some stores (notably Trader Joe's) are selling cheese with stuff mixed into it, like chives or apricots. I love cheese, and prefer to have it by itself without its taste disguised by other flavors.
To me some cheese is too plain. Like goat.

I've discovered:

Fig and grapfruit goat.

and Blueberry vanilla goat.

They're sweet and creamy. It's what I eat instead of ice cream at home.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Jeeps.

V8 or I6 with a carb and mechanical fuel pump. No "brain box" or power windows and seats or kooky stuff you can't fix on the trail with simple tools and a well placed and anticipated spare.

Manual locking hubs are okay in my book, too.

Eat that!
I'm with you on the plain vehicles. I want a manual transmission (break just about anything but the output shaft, and you can limp home), manual crank windows, manual seats, rubber floor mats w/o carpet, and no damn touchscreen.

Even though it's going to be 106 today, A/C is optional. When it breaks, I usually don't fix it.

But I break with you on the ECU. As long as you don't do something stupid like put a non-waterproof ECU under the heater core (I'm looking at you, Ford), they're damn reliable. If I can't have a full engine control unit, I'd prefer to at least have an electronic ignition like an old Duraspark. Points are for saps.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
YAY PLAIN STUFF!! I'm loving this thread.
Same here...it's like I've found my people.

I happen to have some leftover Pizza Hut pan pepperoni in the fridge right now, but 80% of the time I just get cheese pizza (delivery or frozen). I don't care for extra cheese, though.

I don't mind a sesame or onion bagel every now and then, but a plain bagel -- untoasted -- with a little cream cheese is heaven. I've even been known to eat one like a donut in the absence of cream cheese (or time).

I don't like the taste of salt, and prefer unsalted fries and potato chips (Utz makes a great unsalted chip; Pringles' lightly salted variety is also good). Don't get me wrong, I'll gobble down an order of salted fries from pretty much any fast food chain, but if I learn a new batch is coming out of the fryer I'll ask for mine to be unsalted. Sometimes I need a little ketchup to deal with the saltiness of fries; similarly, I can't eat more than a few regular potato chips without some dip (mmmm diiiippp). I prefer the low-sodium versions of most crackers. I also vastly prefer unsalted soft pretzels (I love soft pretzels); if necessary, I'll remove the salt by hand.

Whenever I order a cheesesteak somewhere, I always have to repeat that I want it plain. "Just steak and cheese." "Yes, really."

Deli sandwiches are likewise simple: turkey or ham (not both!) with a little mayo, or roast beef with a little horseradish. No, please don't toast the bread. No cheese or lettuce, thanks. And for the love of god, no tomatoes! My exception to the "no toast" rule is an occasional turkey club (with no tomato): for some reason, I don't mind when that bread is toasted.

I would eat beef tacos with no toppings -- but seasoned beef -- any day. Sometimes cheese is ok, but I'll remove any lettuce and scrape off any pico de gallo (if they forget that I asked for my tacos without them). When I go to Chipotle, I sometimes feel like I'm letting them down: they're ready to tackle the most complicated order, and I just want white rice with beef, cheese, and a little sour cream.

You get the picture.

(Also, I drive a stick!)
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Quote:
And how on Earth is "no dressing" ambiguous????
The post I was responding to said, "Salad with nothing on it." I agree that "no dressing" would work too.